Westerdam changes.. additional tip line signing for beverages

bluesplayer

Was just off the Westerdam sailing roundtrip from Seattle to Alaska.   Now when you order a beverage, you sign a receipt..  not new.  What is new is there is an additional tip line on the receipt.  One cruiser was very vocally opposed to that, saying "I already tipped".  I found it interesting that if the wait staff was provided an opportunity to sign for additional tips the cabin stewards were not. I did ask the bartender..  does this tip go directly to you?  or is this added to a pool.  His response was it goes directly to him.  Maybe soon there will be a slip of paper on your made bed requesting additional tips?   I always do pay my required tips and tip extra..  not the issue.  It does seem slighted for the wait staff and not fair for the cabin stewards.  

Still not over the scaled down room service menu.  This change happened long ago I understand.  All in all this was a great cruise!!!   The service and food were excellent.  The ship was fairly full and the staff was working quite hard!!  Our stewards had 39 rooms!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bluesplayer said:

Was just off the Westerdam sailing roundtrip from Seattle to Alaska.   Now when you order a beverage, you sign a receipt..  not new.  What is new is there is an additional tip line on the receipt.  One cruiser was very vocally opposed to that, saying "I already tipped".  I found it interesting that if the wait staff was provided an opportunity to sign for additional tips the cabin stewards were not. I did ask the bartender..  does this tip go directly to you?  or is this added to a pool.  His response was it goes directly to him.  Maybe soon there will be a slip of paper on your made bed requesting additional tips?   I always do pay my required tips and tip extra..  not the issue.  It does seem slighted for the wait staff and not fair for the cabin stewards.  

Still not over the scaled down room service menu.  This change happened long ago I understand.  All in all this was a great cruise!!!   The service and food were excellent.  The ship was fairly full and the staff was working quite hard!!  Our stewards had 39 rooms!!! 

Thanks for the information.  I guess the westerdam is the testerdam.  I've haven't signed a slip for many years.  I feel the 18% is adequate but I don't tend to hang out in the bars so maybe I'd feel different.

• Like 3

Just off Rotterdam and no signing there.

It doesn't make sense to ban plastic bottles of water because of the rubbish in the sea etc; to remove saltine crackers etc from the cheeseboard because of waste/single use plastic etc, etc, but to re introduce papers to sign!  Now that is wasteful of resources.

• Like 10

First, the bar staff is NOT included in the hotel service charge. A bartender and a bar waiter are on a separate contract where their pay is heavily dependent on tips. If you are talking about the 18% that is automatically added to a drink, that goes to a pool that is split unevenly between bartenders and waiters. Additional tipsto waiter or bar tenders usually goes to the employee. 

We have had waiters go above and beyond,  and tipped them direct. Have not seen the addition line on the receipt. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Just off Rotterdam and no signing there.

It doesn't make sense to ban plastic bottles of water because of the rubbish in the sea etc; to remove saltine crackers etc from the cheeseboard because of waste/single use plastic etc, etc, but to re introduce papers to sign!  Now that is wasteful of resources.

Recycling plastic is far more complicated than recycling paper. Much more complicated. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

Recycling plastic is far more complicated than recycling paper. Much more complicated. 

However they are creating a new and unnecessary source of waste on one hand, while, on the other hand, trying to eliminate other sources of waste.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you are talking about the 18% that is automatically added to a drink, that goes to a pool that is split unevenly between bartenders and waiters.

Are you certain?  

As an edit, after thinking briefly about this, any tip that I have given to a bartender, even as an end of the cruise tip, seems to have been placed in some kind of an under the counter area and not in his pocket.  You may well be correct.  

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I feel the 18% is adequate

Agree.  If the service from a bar's staff warrants it (as it usually does), an additional gratuity to the worthy individuals will be given at the end of my cruise.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

However they are creating a new and unnecessary source of waste on one hand, while, on the other hand, trying to eliminate other sources of waste.

Exactly!  It’s funny that way.  I work for a very green company yet we have bottled water in the fridge, coffee pods in the kitchen and paid parking, none of which I take part in.  We have filtered water that is  just great.   It has been brought to their attention (where I work) because it’s a little hypocritical.  They are very open to change so I’m not telling any tales but it’s a little odd.  Waste is waste.  The cracker thing is so stupid.  They don’t need to be individually wrapped.  Mine aren’t at home.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Are you certain?  

As an edit, after thinking briefly about this, any tip that I have given to a bartender, even as an end of the cruise tip, seems to have been placed in some kind of an under the counter area and not in his pocket.  You may well be correct.  

Agree.  If the service from a bar's staff warrants it (as it usually does), an additional gratuity to the worthy individuals will be given at the end of my cruise.  

So what would warrant extra?  I’m curious.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’d love to know what “above and beyond is”.  The very little time I sit in a bar I’m usually at the bar.  They mix my drink and set in on the bar.  In my mind that doesn’t even warrant 18 percent.  It definitely doesn’t warrant extra.  

I agree that standard service would not warrant extra, but here's an example of "above and beyond". On a lengthy 2019 cruise, we regularly spent time in the Crow's Nest before dinner - and were looked after by several excellent staff.

At one point in the cruise, there were some widespread shortages of many items, due to two containers that didn't make it to port in time for replenishment. The shortages threatened to include my regular beer 👿.

One of our staff asked if I'd like to 'prebuy' my drinks for the foreseeable future, to ensure they were available, until they were sure that the 'supply chain' had been re-established. I quickly agreed, and she charged a fair number of beers to my account. Over the next few weeks, I was never without my favourite, and was rewarded with more than a few "extra" portions from my private cache!

I never did figure out how she managed the accounting, but it was more than fair to me. That "above and beyond" was well rewarded at cruise end. 🍺🥌

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Best tip attempt on the Westerdam goes to Fitness instructor that sold me the $200 good feet arch support. He added a yes/no 9% tip to the bill (same as Spa i imagine?) .  All while explaining to me how the spa services gift card couldn't be used for fitness 

Edited by JesseLivermore
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

First, the bar staff is NOT included in the hotel service charge. A bartender and a bar waiter are on a separate contract where their pay is heavily dependent on tips. If you are talking about the 18% that is automatically added to a drink, that goes to a pool that is split unevenly between bartenders and waiters. Additional tipsto waiter or bar tenders usually goes to the employee. 

We have had waiters go above and beyond,  and tipped them direct. Have not seen the addition line on the receipt. 

I had no idea the bar staff did not receive any of the hotel service charges paid.  Thank you for clearing that up. I tip them regardless and pay my hotel service charges.  Wonder if this will start going fleet wide?  It is easier to just add a tip on..

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I’m just not getting this. I’ve never been to a bar, nor do I have plans for going to one.  Why would one double tip? And the line hints an additional tip is expected.

I can understand if a person wants to raise a tip for their own reasons, but frankly, I see how tips are dispersed to be the business of the staff. If a restaurant is a “pool house” or if each waiter/waitress is allowed to keep what they receive from their tables. Pooling encourages team work and waters down lesser tippers. Not pooling allows a staff member who provides excellent service to receive the entire reward for their good service.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

I had no idea the bar staff did not receive any of the hotel service charges paid.  Thank you for clearing that up. I tip them regardless and pay my hotel service charges.  Wonder if this will start going fleet wide?  It is easier to just add a tip on..

True the bar staff are not part of the main "Crew Incentive" pool, but they are all part of the automatic 18% tip pool from each drink/bottle of wine (as @CruiserBrucesaid).  I personally think that is sufficient tip for them to hand me my bottle of beer or pour that glass of wine!

The question about going "above and beyond" comes into play for me because I do spend time at a couple of the bars each day, either socializing at the bar or at a table reading and sipping my drink during the day.  The servers at the bar or doing table service get to know me and provide some extra touches of conversation or drink suggestions or bringing extra snacks they know I like, etc.  For that I give them extra at the end of the cruise for making me feel like a person and not just a number.  It makes my cruise a little more enjoyable. 🙂

HAL, please, do not bring back signing chits for drinks!!!  

~Nancy

• Like 6

7 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

I don't think the house is going to stand in the way of extra tips.

50 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Strange.  We didn’t have any slips to sign last week on the Koningsdam.  It’s been years since I’ve signed one of those.  Why would they go backwards?

According to the staff..  this was a new process that went into effect sometime in August and only on the Westerdam.  @Florida_gal_50 was correct calling the ship the Testerdam.  The crew confirmed they were trying this out and only on the Westerdam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Are you certain?  

Yes, I am certain about the drink tip. When it was 15%, the breakdown was 10% to the bartenders, 4% to the waiters and 1% to the staff welfare fund. At 18%, I believe it's 11, 5, 2.

If you personally tip cash directly, that is the employees to keep. 

As to why we tipped above and beyond,  it's a long story, but a waiter whom we never met prior, made a notable extra effort two days in a row. We tipped her extra the second day, when she made the extra effort the second time. Like @CurlerRob, it had to do with supply issues.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Recycling plastic is far more complicated than recycling paper. 

17 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

The receipts we receive are generally printed on thermal paper coated with either BPA and BPS, developers that assist in the heat-activated printing process.

BPA can be absorbed into the body through the skin. The chemicals have been shown to be hazardous to reproductive systems in humans and animals and are linked with obesity and attention disorders. 

Studies have found that individual thermal receipts can contain BPA that is 250 to 1,000 times greater than the amount in a can of food. 

Businesses that want to reduce potential harm should take the steps outlined below.

Go paperless

Don't recycle thermal paper Do not put thermal receipt paper in your recycling or compost bin. BPA and other chemicals embedded in thermal paper can end up in wastewater from recycling plants or minimally contaminate other papers in the recycling stream. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On the Westerdam currently... I don't have a strong opinion on tipping additionally to what's automagically charged, but I do find the printed receipts after every drink annoying and wasteful. Feel like I'm signing something every 5-7 minutes (although perhaps this says more about my drinking habits than anything else). Having to give my card at Pinnacle, to order a glass of wine? It all seems so archaic.

An example of an alternative would be in Las Vegas; it's simply a verbal declaration of room number, and last name. It'd be nice if HAL had a similarly easy procedure.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

I never did figure out how she managed the accounting, but it was more than fair to me. That "above and beyond" was well rewarded at cruise end. 🍺🥌

When you buy a bottle of wine, your cabin number is written on it to indicate who owns it and show it is no longer available for sale. The bottle, or what remains of it, is held until you return and request it. I wonder if your server did something similar with your beer?