Do we need paper cruise documents (besides passport)?

ShelleyQT

We leave tomorrow on the Solstice.  This is our first time on Celebrity, but we have cruised many times on other cruise lines.  We have always needed reams of paper documents from the cruise line for check in at the terminal.

For this cruise, I understand that we need to show our Xpress Pass on the app, and of course we need our passports.  Do we need other ticketing on paper?  I have not been able to log in on the Celebrity website today from our computer, because for some reason the website just keeps asking me again and again to sign in (even though I know I have the correct password).  I even tried using a different browser, but no luck.  I can't print paper documents unless I can log in.

If I can never get logged in successfully, and I going to have a problem?  Obviously I won't have any luggage tags, but I imagine I can get some at the terminal if necessary.

No -  Normally everything can be paperless but with the authentication part of Celebrity site down for the last 24 hours could be problematic.

Depending on how they handle it the piers you normally need the express pass to show boarding time -  but if it's down tomorrow could be hard to pop up and also impossible to print if you don't already have it

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

The check-in counter can print your boarding pass. I did not have data on my phone in the pier. They printed out the boarding passes for us. For the luggage tags, I pretty sure they could do it as well.

So, your passport would be what you need at the pier.

• Thanks 1

bring your Passport And original vaccination card (not photocopy or photo)

Fill out the health check on app or on line day before boarding

bring your credit card if not setting up a cash account

the porters will hand-write your luggage tags if you can’t print them out

I am posting from the Solstice.  Anchors will be raised shortly and we will leave Catalina Island.

I don’t think you will have any major problems.  In response to the pandemic Celebrity is streamlining the check—in process.   For example, your seapass cards will be waiting for you in your mail slot outside the stateroom door..

Currently on Summit.  Our checkin experience at the pier was very quick and easy, has definitely changed though, from our experience on Apex in February.   No one looked at our vax cards, we were just asked if we had been vaccinated.  Because we are going to Canada, we were still required to test, but the agent barely looked at our test results.  No one checked for a checkin time.  We did have to answer the 3 questions that the health check has been reduced to.  Agent checked our passports and we were done.

Sherri🙂

40 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

If you bring hard copies of all your documents, you will be directed around the folks fumbling with their phones to pull up documents for everyone in their party.

My phone was quicker than the people shuffling through their various papers.😂

Sherti🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

If you bring hard copies of all your documents, you will be directed around the folks fumbling with their phones to pull up documents for everyone in their party.

And what happens when the phone breaks? LOL . . . although not funny because my camera mysteriously quit working 2 days ago. Paper always works.

But for @ShelleyQT, yes the folks from baggage collectors to terminal counters can do pretty much everything for us as we need it. That's one reason why they're still there. And I want to say thanks for asking this kind of question.

Edited by Moonarino

40 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

My phone was quicker than the people shuffling through their various papers.😂

Sherti🙂

Hope those boarding yesterday had screen shots of their Xpress passes while the X site was down for the day.  I wouldn't arrive at a dock depending upon connection to any web site unless I was in the mood for a potential 5 yard delay of game penalty.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

Hope those boarding yesterday had screen shots of their Xpress passes while the X site was down for the day.  I wouldn't arrive at a dock depending upon connection to any web site unless I was in the mood for a potential 5 yard delay of game penalty.

There ya go. Witness yesterday's mega-corporate IT outage.

29 minutes ago, Andrewgary said:

Considering I'm a guy who still lugs around "real books" you best believe I'll have all my hard copies in order.

I’m with you.  I try, usually succeed, with doing it all electronically, but I also have a folder very handy, with ALL of my travel documents printed and sorted in order, just in case.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I’m with you.  I try, usually succeed, with doing it all electronically, but I also have a folder very handy, with ALL of my travel documents printed and sorted in order, just in case.

Ditto.  It's not that much paper.

Covers everything from transport to the airport to transport home, and each step on between, including copies of Celebrity invoices.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, canderson said:

The X site being down for the day did not seem to have any affect on the app. 

Sherri🙂

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

The X site being down for the day did not seem to have any affect on the app. 

Sherri🙂

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Surely did for the majority of us.  Several threads here on the topic.  App login attempts produced a 'come back later' message.

I've been wondering if the app downloads copies of such documents locally to the phone. That would be a good idea, in case one can't get connectivity. But if the app misbehaves just because it can't get a connection or successful login, it might not matter anyway.

Go Paper. (Heh. NOT "paperless".)

19 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

I've been wondering if the app downloads copies of such documents locally to the phone. That would be a good idea, in case one can't get connectivity. But if the app misbehaves just because it can't get a connection or successful login, it might not matter anyway.

I was able to put my Xpress pass in my wallet on my iPhone.

• Like 4

On 9/24/2022 at 10:15 AM, canderson said:

Old-school or not, it's moments like this why I always bring hard-copies with me when I travel. It's not just about losing internet access; what if I lose my phone entirely?

It's zero inconvenience to me to tuck a bit of paper somewhere amidst my travel gear and, despite my wife's cries of "You nerd!" ringing in my ears sometimes (I'm the planner, she's not), I feel better knowing I've got at least one other form of backup I can use, even if I never have to use it. 😇

cjr

• Like 4

On 9/24/2022 at 12:45 PM, Moonarino said:

We take screen shots of Xpress pass and negative test results so no need to have wi-fi connection.

• Like 2