Is Aqua Class Worth It?

Empehi

Well I’m hoping it will be good.

We are booked on Silhouette Aqua in May. In October we are on Apex in a suite as usual.

I’ll be very interested to see the differences but will probably do move up but couldn’t justify the fare for another suite. 

Edit: I forgot to add lm limited mobility & only RS & PH have a shower in retreat. Accessible SS isn’t available. 

Edited by wineoclock

For us, it used to be worth it.  We enjoy Blu and the thermal suite access.  But, recently Celebrity seems to have priced us out.  Our upcoming Beyond sailing will be our first celebrity sailing we wont be in aquaclass.  We are doing concierge instead and will just buy spa passes with the cruise savings.  We will have a better idea this December if we should have gone aqua again.

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Like 1

Only you can determine  that. If the price difference between a balcony cabin and the Aqua cabin is something you can accept, then yes, it is. The big factor for us is that you have Blu as your assigned dining room. Smaller, quieter and usually quicker service than the MDR. I certainly don't care anything about a yoga mat in my cabin. 

• Like 2

For us, the answer is no.   We have done Aqua class twice, on Infinity and Apex.  Everyone raves about Blu but we were not impressed with the food, but I will say service was amazing.   Spa stuff is not something I enjoy so did not spend much time there.    The shower with different settings in our bathroom was nice.

Sherri🙂

Depends - we enjoyed Aqua on Millenium for the room and eating in Blu but the spa on M class ships is not as inviting as S class ships.  We do not plan to book again, instead sail a B2B with the cost difference (we do not need the drinks or internet of AI so are happy to book cruise only rate).

I will be able to tell you in mid-November 🙂  I am going on my first Celebrity cruise, with a purpose.  The health spa I used to go to every year closed down and I was looking for an economical replacement.  I got a solo supplement sale price for an Aqua suite at about a third the price of any of the health spas in our state.  My objective is to see if Aqua class is a good substitute.  I tend to take full advantage of all the benefits and I anticipate my difficulty may be my self control to avoid the food that will be available versus what we were served at the spa.  I doubt there is a potassium broth break (!), but I want to make good choices at Blu and the spa cafe.  I intend to write up some notes to post since I didn't get much advice or feedback when I asked about this before I booked (I think most people thought it was a joke).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depends on the sailing. Sometimes upgrading to Aqua from a balcony cabin is only a few hundred dollars more. Other times it will cost you well over a thousand dollars more. In that case I would rather buy a specialty dining package. We have been in Aqua numerous times and have always enjoyed the service, but sometimes the menus do not offer what we prefer so we end up eating off the “classic menu”, which is basically MDR food anyway. On some ships, depending on MDR kitchen proximity, they will let you order off the MDR menu, but again, not what you are paying for. You are paying for a more intimate atmosphere and better service but you can always get that in the specialty restaurants if you decide to go balcony. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fabby50 said:

I will be able to tell you in mid-November 🙂  I am going on my first Celebrity cruise, with a purpose.  The health spa I used to go to every year closed down and I was looking for an economical replacement.  I got a solo supplement sale price for an Aqua suite at about a third the price of any of the health spas in our state.  My objective is to see if Aqua class is a good substitute.  I tend to take full advantage of all the benefits and I anticipate my difficulty may be my self control to avoid the food that will be available versus what we were served at the spa.  I doubt there is a potassium broth break (!), but I want to make good choices at Blu and the spa cafe.  I intend to write up some notes to post since I didn't get much advice or feedback when I asked about this before I booked (I think most people thought it was a joke).

That would be a very good review of Aqua class from a health angle. I’d love to read that. 

I’ve enjoyed Aqua class, and choose it most often. The only times I haven’t sailed Aqua or above were my very first cruise on the Millenium in 2010 (Aquaclass hadn’t rolled out on M class ships yet, but we chose Concierge class for the larger room) and the time we downgraded to a corner aft family veranda on the Infinity when we had an overnight in San Francisco. I have sailed in suites occasionally, but it’s not my first choice. 

My reasons:

Dinners in Blu feel very relaxed. 

I enjoy the shower experience, the fog-free mirror, and the upgraded amenities in Aqua cabins.

Bottle of sparkling wine and little gifties that are in the cabin when we arrive. Lip balm, slippers, spa bag. To be clear, I’m not sure exactly what remains as far as amenities. I believe that the fruit and flowers have been eliminated. 

As a solo now, I will choose the same category as those I’m traveling with. I can see myself enjoying any cabin on the ship. 

Worth it?  Depends on how much more they are asking.  I find it worth $200-$300 extra because of the spa and Blu.  I don't find it worth much more than that.  If you don't use the spa, then I wouldn't find it to be worth even $200.

Blu is nice but is better on S class or M class ships--on Edge class ships the four dining rooms are sufficient.

It depends on the cost difference between a regular balcony to AQ, for example is a regular balcony is $1000/pp, how much is one willing to pay?  $100/pp more, most would pay...$500/pp more, most WOULDN'T pay.

One Blu issue for some people including myself, some ships like Equinox won't allow you order MDR rotational items due to being short staffed.  You can order the "timeless classics" like french onion soup and the NY Sirloin, but they won't serve prime rib on the first night, no crab cakes, etc.  It was a huge underutilized perk that you had to choice to dine in one place and order items off two menus.  I believe some ships still do this.

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It depends on the cost difference between a regular balcony to AQ, for example is a regular balcony is $1000/pp, how much is one willing to pay?  $100/pp more, most would pay...$500/pp more, most WOULDN'T pay.

You have to remember to make sure you’re comparing apples to apples. Aquaclass quoted prices include gratuities, classic beverage package, and WiFi whereas other categories do not. 

2 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

You have to remember to make sure you’re comparing apples to apples. Aquaclass quoted prices include gratuities, classic beverage package, and WiFi whereas other categories do not. 

Absolutely.  One should compare apples to apples yet the other categories have two fare options, one is AI which is the same as AQ the other is only and doesn't include the perks

The only reason we ever book AQ is for Blu as we are not spa people.   We love the food, being able to have non-buffet breakfast in the overall feeling of being in a smaller restaurant than huge dining. room.  

Having said that, sometimes the cabins for AQ are not in ideal locations (forward or rear).   Not sure about the larger cabin (unless AQ is larger on certain class of ships?).  If the cost difference is significant though, I would probably not book AQ.      

We usually booked Aqua on the S ships, mainly for Blu.  But on Beyond we preferred SV with the aft balconies and were very happy with the 4 smaller main restaurants which we alternated every night.  We will not spend money anymore for Aqua on Edge class.

Edited by Michidoeme

The proper question is how much is Aqua class worth to you?

Factoring is the AI fares consider -

Need a few extra Captain's Club points to reach the next tier?

Is the spa benefit for you or not?

Do you think Blu is worth some??

For us Blu is worth about $75-100 a day each.  The rest have little of no importance to DW and self.

There are no downsides that I am aware.

We enjoy AQ for dining in BLU and Persian Garden, all other additives are irrelevant to us. It used to be  reasonably priced, but not  any more. I did upgrade to AQ from a balcony for only $90 / cabin total  for our April cruise. I think X wanted to sell few available cabins. So now they call it sold out. Otherwise, now we book balcony and for the price difference we dine in Specialty restaurants several times. It seems AQ is now about $400-500/pp per day - not worth it. 

• Like 1

We enjoy dining in Blu.  On our January Apex cruise in Aqua we found that the Infinity Veranda was just not for us as we enjoy sitting and reading on the balcony.  Our next two cruises are on Edge class ships, and we have opted for Sunset Veranda staterooms.  While on the Apex, we spent one night in Tuscany and enjoyed the experience.  If we go on any ship other than an Edge Class, we will book Aqua Class.  

Just my personal opinion, if the price of a 7 day cruise in Aqua is more than $400 more than a regular balcony, I will pass. It is cheaper to buy a spa pass and I would take the extra cash and specialty dine. Of course with Aqua now including the "All Included" package, you will need to figure out that value in the price difference as well.

We have done Aqua a few times. Very disappointed with our experience at Blu on our Sept Solstice cruise. Food not outstanding and service poor. Took us 10 min to get coffee with our first breakfast. Our table settings always missing items….cups,spoons,salt/pepper,butter,cream,etc. Voiced our disappointment to manager. Hesitant to book Aqua again.

We have been in AQ Class from inception on a variety of ships  and mostly enjoyed it..as good value compared to a suite. BUT it all depends on what you are looking, relative pricing, ship selection and cabin location...Here are my comments...

AQ class  is worth it if you enjoy dining in BLU which we did for many yrs ( with attentive service, nice menu, fewer children & usually a nice atmoshphere away from the din of the mdr)... OR  worth it if you want unlimited access to Persian Gardens / thermal suite area,  OR  if you the need extra per night cruise  points. Also has less crowded hallways, and some better cabins..but beware of location! 

Recently some of the previously good perks have waned.  Preferred boarding is  almost a fiction with many more suite guests.  Concierge guests sometimes going on 1st for their luncheon.  On our most recent,  Concierge guests also had more special events and attention than those in AQ, and priority departure was a joke..Our entire AQ Class floor got the dead last departure groups..we all ended up at Guest Rel to change that.  

CAVEAT E Class  We did not enjoy BLU on Edge due to its lousy location along the hallway to EDEN beyond the creepy forest or alternative  need to walk up a winding staircase.  Blu did not have any real sea views,  and  they kept  the draperies closed to block view of service items   We eat early and  experienced a very slow kitchen when we were there.  It was also noisy....bad acoustics. We were so busy on our cruise that we only got the the amazing thermal suite area a few times.  Did not get our value for that perk. And AQ on EDGE comes with a infinite Balc...not a real balc..we managed but room was small.  Would not book a IV or AQ on E class againl

On a subsequent cruise we ditched AQ Class.. and .loved our large Sunset Veranda cabin with a true balc,  and the 4 mdrs (all  superior to  EDGE BLU) and we  did not miss the thermal area.

Next cruise..trying a small suite w/ Luminae..hope we manage ok with that

It will become a little more blurred if the current pricing to jump from cruise only to AI remains at double what it used to be or if that is only in conjunction with the 75% off the second pax deal. If you chose AI in a Concierge Cabin it’s almost the same price as just booking Aqua.