Milestone recognition being eliminated

CruzinNoony

5 hours ago, partybarbie said:

The program though is being phased out. 

One more indication that Princess is not interested in loyalty and wants to attract the newer (younger?) passengers.  I'm not entirely sure how not rewarding brand loyalty to going to convince the newer passenger to come back for another cruise.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Kay S said:

One more indication that Princess is not interested in loyalty and wants to attract the newer (younger?) passengers.  I'm not entirely sure how not rewarding brand loyalty to going to convince the newer passenger to come back for another cruise.

As evidenced by 'milestone' cruisers, they're going to come anyway 🙂  If I'm going to get your money anyway, then you're a demographic I don't need to focus on.  I need new money, with secondary spend, not those that I know are going to come anyway, and don't have a lot of secondary spend to begin with.  Basic business concepts.  The worth of the new dollar is more than a handful of older cruisers who won't cruise into the future due to aging out.  The lack of loyalty benefits gets mainstreamed.  Most of the hospitality industry is doing this now, not just cruise lines.

Its ok.. you'll book with Princess next year...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

We will be cruising about 110 days on Princess during the next 12 months (as well as some cruises on other cruise lines). The existence of milestone recognition will not have the slightest impact since the cost/value of the cruises scheduled are still very attractive.  The extras such as most traveled lunch, milestone recognition, etc. are nice things, but really do not impact the value assessment when they go away.

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

They do reward brand loyalty. The same people will still get free laundry, priority boarding, tendering priority etc. So why put on other things when you've hooked the regulars anyway. 

• Like 2

Having recently celebrated my 750 Milestone cruise, it was pretty darn nice having breakfast in Sabatini's every morning for fourteen days. It was nice getting a free picture with the Captain. It was nice getting a free bottle of real champagne and chocolate strawberries. Eliminating this recognition doesn't really save Carnival Corporation that much money. What it will do is irritate and annoy a lot of us that have been loyal to the brand. 

What the bean counters fail to realize is the number of people that are referred to Princess by past passengers. My sister is now elite with Princess because I refused to cruise on any other line. I started cruising with Princess because my aunt told me that it was her favorite cruise line. I have organized multiple family cruises, all on Princess.  I probably won't cruise on any other line, but I won't be in such a hurry to refer new people.  

• Like 7

On 9/26/2022 at 12:17 PM, skynight said:

Is this the first step in a new loyalty system based on days or points? Book a sky suite get tons of points. Book an interior points are so low a 2 year old can count that high. Milestone recog. was a very low cost operation, bottle of champagne, some chocolate strawberries and some other no cost benefits such as visiting the bridge and a certificate. 

Kinda true that compared to other customer incentive systems, what cruise lines provide is pretty meager.     Odd that they would eliminate a dinner for someone with 1,000 days.  

51 minutes ago, leck57 said:

They do reward brand loyalty. The same people will still get free laundry, priority boarding, tendering priority etc. So why put on other things when you've hooked the regulars anyway. 

Yes, that is true to an extent, but the Elite perks are slowly being scaled back, too.   

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Yes, that is true to an extent, but the Elite perks are slowly being scaled back, too.   

Lets see what has really been scaled back, the internet benefit.  Which was converted from free minutes, to a discount on unlimited.  Pretty much a wash dollar wise.  Oh and when they made that change they added the 10% excursion discount.  Cannot really think of any other major reduction in benefits.  Though some are less useful for some due to the more inclusive fares being booked by many.

Far more impact on elite benefits due to the very large numbers of elite on board that impacts the benefits such as the increases in waiting times for laundry

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Cannot really think of any other major reduction in benefits.  Though some are less useful for some due to the more inclusive fares being booked by many.

In practice they eliminated the 10% Elite discount in the shops by now having a perpetual 15% off sale in all the shops (only one discount allowed per purchase ) .

Of course they simply raised the shop prices 15% or more to accomplish this, and BINGO no more Elite discount 

IMO next to go : Mini Bars, and MTL luncheons

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

As I said, "slowly being scaled back."

1 hour ago, srpilo said:

In practice they eliminated the 10% Elite discount in the shops by now having a perpetual 15% off sale in all the shops (only one discount allowed per purchase ) .

Of course they simply raised the shop prices 15% or more to accomplish this, and BINGO no more Elite discount 

IMO next to go : Mini Bars, and MTL luncheons

The most traveled luncheons are not an elite benefit.  They are for most traveled.  Of course these days to be in the number of invitees you have to be be in the multipel range of elite due to how many have built up fairly massive numbers of days.

On my last cruise on the Ruby a couple of months ago I got the 10% discount on the few items I did purchase.  Will check on the crown in a few weeks and the Discovery a month after that.

17 hours ago, partybarbie said:

I'm back from my recent cruise on the Ruby Princess with an update regarding the Milestone program. Per the Loyalty and Events Manager, this program has been discontinued. For those passengers that booked their Milestone cruises before the discontinuation, they will still receive their awards. The program though is being phased out. 

Do you know what that date is?

53 minutes ago, caribill said:

Do you know what that date is?

Was just told  today (cruising now) it was cruises booked by 2020. Guess they made allowances for the pandemic  pause. I missed out by a few months for my 1000 milestone on our Aug cruise. Also, changes made again for  top 3 recognition gift. In March we received the nice tote bag. Now it will be a “gift certificate”  to use in the stores. Not sure if it will be for  any store.  When on B2Bs,  some top 3 did want 2 or more tote bags so changes made. (Hi Bill)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ldtr said:

On my last cruise on the Ruby a couple of months ago I got the 10% discount on the few items I did purchase.  Will check on the Crown in a few weeks and the Discovery a month after that.

On the Regal earlier this month, I did get 10% off a couple of L'Occitane items purchased for my wife.  The clerk was definitely checking that the price was not already discounted before giving me 10% off.  So, I think it is for sure now we do not get 10% anytime an item is already marked down.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the shop is playing games as suggested above, since there were clearly regular price items as well as discounted items.  Obviously, retail games could be played.  As always, the buyer needs to know whether the price paid for the desired item is a bargain or not compared to what you have to pay back home.  (In our case, there was a saving - especially with 10% off).

6 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

When on B2Bs,  some top 3 did want 2 or more tote bags so changes made. (Hi Bill)

We’ve always simply gifted our duplicates (which, by now, are all of them) to a fellow passenger. I still like the crystals best (and I’m missing South America, by the way, so if anyone is looking to unload theirs…). I don’t think I kept even one of the wooden boxes. 

43 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

On the Regal earlier this month, I did get 10% off a couple of L'Occitane items purchased for my wife.  The clerk was definitely checking that the price was not already discounted before giving me 10% off.  So, I think it is for sure now we do not get 10% anytime an item is already marked down.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the shop is playing games as suggested above, since there were clearly regular price items as well as discounted items.  Obviously, retail games could be played.  As always, the buyer needs to know whether the price paid for the desired item is a bargain or not compared to what you have to pay back home.  (In our case, there was a saving - especially with 10% off).

I have rarely found prices on board cruise ships to be a bargain.  Usually the 10% might get you back to what you could get the product for else where. 

20 hours ago, partybarbie said:

I would gladly give up the laundry service as I don’t use it anyway, to get back my credits.

We hardly use it either but I wouldn't be surprised to see them put a dollar cap on the Elite service very soon. Having no limit on laundry is like handing someone a blank check.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

The point about elites being valuable, referring others is very valid. I’m always singing Princess’s praise to people, recommending them to people around town who’ve never been on a cruise. firsthand accounts of positive experiences is still the best marketing IMO. 

I recommend cruising to people who haven't been on a cruise. I don't know why I would recommend Princess over a particular cruise line. I do think that if I was in charge I would be targeting people most likely to spend money on board, which wouldn't include me.

I'm fine with Princess catering to the younger generation.    If that brings in more revenue for Princess and helps to keep prices where they are due to their spending more  Its good for me who doesn't spend much.  I just want to keep crusing .    LOL

• Like 4