Carnival Cruise Line Cracks Down On Deck Chair Hogs

mnocket

13 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Heck no. Who needs that long for a toilet stop?! Any longer than a toilet stop and you've given up the right to that deck-chair. C'mon!

Yes. If everyone would give up their chair when they leave, there would be chairs for everyone. Why should someone waste their time making sure a chair is unoccupied for 20 to 40 minutes.  I am not a pool deck person so never have problems finding a chair.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I know everybody is concerned about deck chairhogs, but what about the solo person in the piazza who needs to go to the bathroom? Or perhaps that person is going to the IC to get a salad?

I had my lunch removed on recent cruise while I went to get just 1 more thing from IC and came back to someone's mask there. I removed the mask and then the person who owned them left the dance floor and started yelling at me. So I asked her what happened to my lunch? Not all IC options are on the app. 

I'm all for everyone being able to save a chair for 20 minutes

I have a small macrame purse I carry on cruises that holds my sunglasses and cell phone. If I had to take a bathroom break, I take my phone out of it and place it predominately on the table next to the drink or food. I’m only gone for a couple of minutes,  but it hasn’t failed me yet. 

• Like 2

Just now, PescadoAmarillo said:

I have a small macrame purse I carry on cruises that holds my sunglasses and cell phone. If I had to take a bathroom break, I take my phone out of it and place it predominately on the table next to the drink or food. I’m only gone for a couple of minutes,  but it hasn’t failed me yet. 

Good idea!!!! I'll try that in December (I once left my phone and had to retrieve it from PSD)

10 hours ago, Lizabu said:

I do this too. And so far I’ve been finished with the chair before anyone even came back, each time I did it. I think everyone should do this. 

Totally agree. This is what I do.  I just move their stuff.  Would you leave your belongings anywhere else in the world and expect it to be there after you're gone?  Nooo!!! I would expect my belongings to be long gone.  

Edited by shiner6
  • Like 2

I'm sailing on the Discovery next month, my friend is currently onboard, I've given her 3 books and a princess tote bag to claim my deck chair. That's OK isn't it, its only 3 weeks off

Edited by antsp
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, Lizabu said:

I do this too. And so far I’ve been finished with the chair before anyone even came back, each time I did it. I think everyone should do this. 

You always see the best of mankind/womankind on a Princess cruise.  The LOVE BOAT.  Just feeling the love.

38 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

Totally agree. This is what I do.  I just move their stuff.  Would you leave your belongings anywhere else in the world and expect it to be there after you're gone?  Nooo!!! I would expect my belongings to be long gone.  

Which is worse.  The chair hog or the chair thief?  It all comes down to values.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cali-croozer said:

Yes. If everyone would give up their chair when they leave, there would be chairs for everyone. Why should someone waste their time making sure a chair is unoccupied for 20 to 40 minutes.  I am not a pool deck person so never have problems finding a chair.  

Exactly!!

20 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

40 minutes is far too long! Should be 20-mins max! 

20 minutes isn't long enough.  If I have to use the restroom, I prefer to go back to my cabin instead of using the public one.    It can take 20 minutes, depending on how far away you are.  

12 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I think 40 is about right.  20 is too short.  I can't make my way into the buffet and eat and back in 20 minutes.  40 minutes allows you to go exercise, eat something and return.  I think that is more than fair.

Exercise?   Are you talking about a walk to the buffet or exercise in the gym?   

6 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I have a sign that says “Be right back”.  The sign works great in the buffet too.  😂😂😂

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

20 minutes isn't long enough.  If I have to use the restroom, I prefer to go back to my cabin instead of using the public one.    It can take 20 minutes, depending on how far away you are.  

More than 20-mins to go to your cabin to use the bathroom?? Seriously?!

14 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

If you're doing all that - you're not using the chair!! C'mon.. be a bit fair!! If you're off to dinner.. you've finished - it's somebody elses turn!!

Please tell me this is a joke.  40 minutes is fair, 20 minutes is too sort to be able to leave your chair, go get food from pizza to buffet and a drink, eat, and then get back to your chair. I never mentioned dinner, just leaving to eat and coming back. Not to mention people who are in the pool the whole time.

Common sense needs to be used. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Exercise?   Are you talking about a walk to the buffet or exercise in the gym? 

For me, it's usually walking, but people go to the gym and come back in 40 minutes is no different.  40 minutes is 40 minutes regardless of how it's used. 

I'm no chair hog.  My wife and I claim our chairs, are back within 30 minutes, then are in and our of our chairs all day for no longer than 30 minutes, whether that's to get in the pool, go eat, etc. 

Honestly, I think most people have no problem with people holding a chair for 20 minutes, 40 minutes or even an hour. It’s the people who throw a towel on a chair at 6 AM and expect to hold it all day that grind my gears. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Lizabu said:

Honestly, I think most people have no problem with people holding a chair for 20 minutes, 40 minutes or even an hour. It’s the people who throw a towel on a chair at 6 AM and expect to hold it all day that grind my gears. 

This exactly...its the 'Karen' on our last cruise that held 4 chairs, and then sat at the at the pool bar with her friends and didn't use the chairs for hours.  Just close enough to holler at people...  It didn't work the 2nd day.  OTOH, she was a constant source of entertainment after that as she made herself the self appointed chair monitor to 'make a point'.

Whats shocking is the demographic that tends to do this.  Its not the younger crowd.  Its the older 'more mature' that bring that entitled attitude.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lizabu said:

Honestly, I think most people have no problem with people holding a chair for 20 minutes, 40 minutes or even an hour. It’s the people who throw a towel on a chair at 6 AM and expect to hold it all day that grind my gears

Agree 100%.  It's one thing to be in and out of your chair regularly than to throw a towel on and show up at 1pm.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, cali-croozer said:

The big problem is not someone keeping their chair when they leave for a little while.

The big problem is people who reserve a chair at 7 AM and do not show up to use it until hours later.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I'm no chair hog.  My wife and I claim our chairs, are back within 30 minutes, then are in and our of our chairs all day for no longer than 30 minutes, whether that's to get in the pool, go eat, etc. 

IMHO, if you're saying you go to the lido and put your stuff on a couple of loungers with the intent of leaving and not using the chair until a half hour later, I would consider that being a chair hog.  It's a different thing if you see an unoccupied lounger and occupy it for a while and then go to the restroom and return, but to put your stuff on it to 'claim' it and immediately leave is just plain wrong.

Placing belongings on a lounger with the intent of returning to your cabin (for any reason) or going to the MDR or to the gym, you're not using that lounger and forfeit the ability to use that lounger if someone else is using it.  After all, someone else paid good money to use that chair too.

I don't see Princess or other Carnival lines strictly enforcing the chair hog issue like they say they'll do on Carnival.  IIRC, the last big brawl on Carnival started over a chair hog 'claiming' a lounger at a lido bar.  Carnival needs to do something to blunt the negative publicity.

No matter what, chair hogs are destined to be with us as chair hogs either don't understand they're being one or don't really care.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

IMHO, if you're saying you go to the lido and put your stuff on a couple of loungers with the intent of leaving and not using the chair until a half hour later, I would consider that being a chair hog.  It's a different thing if you see an unoccupied lounger and occupy it for a while and then go to the restroom and return, but to put your stuff on it to 'claim' it and immediately leave is just plain wrong.

Placing belongings on a lounger with the intent of returning to your cabin (for any reason) or going to the MDR or to the gym, you're not using that lounger and forfeit the ability to use that lounger if someone else is using it.  After all, someone else paid good money to use that chair too.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  Normally we put our stuff on chairs and drink our coffee if the weather is good, then go eat, then back to the cabin to change and back to our chairs.  Might take 30 minutes.  I think that is totally fine, and I think most people do as well. 

To me a chair hog is someone who puts their belongings on a chair and then are gone for 1+ hour not showing up at all.  If I'm in my chair, and then go to the pool, the grill/buffet, the bathroom and promptly return to my chair, that is not a chair hog.

• Like 2

The next source of revenue for Carnival (and other lines by extension) will be selling time in regular pool loungers in 30- or 60-minute increments.  If they can charge for a luxury experience like the Sanctuary and other fancy "elite" venues, why not the spots alongside the pool for the unwashed masses yearning to breathe free.

You want a primo spot besides the pool for all day?  What's it worth to you?

• Haha 1