Emerald Princess no embarkation time, will it sail ?

Rocky of London

20 minutes ago, Rocky of London said:

Hi 

when a ship goes into dry dock, is it Guaranteed to come out of dry dock on time.....or is there always a delay risk ?

Emerald still shows in dry dock in Rotterdam, but doesn't sail with passengers till the 28th from Southampton. The Crown left dry dock in Portland on the 17th and sailed on time from Vancouver on the 18th.

20 minutes ago, Rocky of London said:

Hi 

when a ship goes into dry dock, is it Guaranteed to come out of dry dock on time.....or is there always a delay risk ?

Since they are usually booked a year or two in advance, as a maintenance dry dock, not a problem.  A refurbishment dry dock can take longer.  I wouldn’t have any concerns taking one of out dry dock. The turnaround day should be very fast and cabins ready to go! 

15 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Since they are usually booked a year or two in advance, as a maintenance dry dock, not a problem.  A refurbishment dry dock can take longer.  I wouldn’t have any concerns taking one of out dry dock. The turnaround day should be very fast and cabins ready to go! 

If you have a choice, I would always avoid a ship on its first sailing after drydock. Lots of stories of ships returning to service not quite finished. Happened to us a few years ago on the Crown 

• Like 2

On 10/19/2022 at 2:06 PM, Rocky of London said:

Hi 

First cruise after drydock will always carry a small risk.  The sea trials days might be with workmen on board still fitting out etc. and if they still haven't finished they might work on the cruise days.  I remember one ship they were gluing carpets on the open decks which can send you high. I think the disruption after drydock is comparately rare.

Regards John

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Do you know how to pull this info for the Crown?  TIA

No I can't. Sorry.

My SIL is a contractor who works on cruise ships (various lines) and he was on Emerald the first week of its scheduled dry dock.

Edited by Esprit
  • Thanks 1

Recently - Princess extended the days of dry dock for the Emerald Princess which then shortened the first cruise after it. I only know this because I am on the cruise immediately after that and for a short time, considered booking a B2B. Hopefully by doing this - the Emerald Princess will sail on time.

On 10/20/2022 at 9:47 AM, Esprit said:

HI Esprit .....This is good information, how can I check it’s sailing away from the dry dock on the 26 of October, in preparation to sail back to Southampton?.....then I can feel more confident the cruise will go ahead....we had a cruise cancel last year, 12 hours before we about to board...

10 minutes ago, Rocky of London said:

HI Esprit .....This is good information, how can I check it’s sailing away from the dry dock on the 26 of October, in preparation to sail back to Southampton?.....then I can feel more confident the cruise will go ahead....we had a cruise cancel last year, 12 hours before we about to board...

Not who you are asking but you can check the bridge cams:

https://www.princess.com/bridgecams/ 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, gottagocit said:

Does anyone know what work is being done on the ship during dry dock? 

On our Sept.06/22 Emerald cruise, the Q&A with Capt. Lye said that she was the 1st ship of that class to have received the upgrades to the buffet area etc and is now due for further upgrades to cabin lighting etc and routine maintenance.  He didn't elaborate much except to say that one of the biggest jobs will be to replace the tile decking around the pool areas which was an embarrassment to him.

Emerald was in very good condition when we were on with few signs of wear and tear. 

Edited by macmax
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 8:57 AM, macmax said:

On our Sept.06/22 Emerald cruise, the Q&A with Capt. Lye said that she was the 1st ship of that class to have received the upgrades to the buffet area etc and is now due for further upgrades to cabin lighting etc and routine maintenance.  He didn't elaborate much except to say that one of the biggest jobs will be to replace the tile decking around the pool areas which was an embarrassment to him.

Emerald was in very good condition when we were on with few signs of wear and tear. 

Great news!

On 10/21/2022 at 8:57 AM, macmax said:

We agree - we just left her on 10 Oct and they were busy getting her ready for rehab.  But all in all we thought she looked pretty good and we didn't notice any glaring issues other than a few elevator buttons that didn't work.  We'll be back on her in Feb 2024 so maybe we'll notice the difference.

2 hours ago, bjkTX said:

We agree - we just left her on 10 Oct and they were busy getting her ready for rehab.  But all in all we thought she looked pretty good and we didn't notice any glaring issues other than a few elevator buttons that didn't work.  We'll be back on her in Feb 2024 so maybe we'll notice the difference.

Rehab, I like it.  Last night before this was due to start, did they play Amy Winehouse as a feature song?

Regards John

• Haha 1

Out of drydock 0630 GMT 26th Oct and bound for Southampton, in preperation for her last cruise this side of the pond, starting 28th Oct. Then onwards for TA on the 7th Nov. We are on this last one and will give an update when we get back, as to what was done to make her one of the best ships in the fleet. Long may the Grand class last.

• Like 2