The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 27th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Black Cat Day, National Tell A Story Day, and Navy Day

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.--Oscar Levant

Meal Suggestion for today - Arborio Rice And White Bean Soup
Drink of the Day - Bourbon Cider Sour
Wine of the Day - Simi Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma County, CA
Destination of the Day - Da Nang (Hue), Vietnam

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 10/29

Koningsdam

San Francisco, California 08:00 - 23:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay eta 10/28

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 10/28

Noordam

At Sea Destination Rarotonga Island, Cook Islands NZ eta 10/28

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Naples, Italy eta 10/28

Rotterdam

New York, NY

Volendam

Piraeus-Athens, Greece 07:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

Suez Canal

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Alotau, PG eta 10/30

Zuiderdam

Nukualofa, Tongatapu, Tonga 08:00 - 17:00

1027East.thumb.png.2a326b9684ebb0106e573923d0e94a7a.png

1027West.thumb.png.61e26d21a11bafd5499c9d54e2ef3d1f.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another rainy, cool day for us - typical fall day.

I don't have a black cat, I have a black dog.  I'm not a good story teller, but I enjoy listening to others.   A big thank you to the Navy.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good for a fall day, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'm sure the drink and wine are tasty too.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich.  A big salute to our, Canada's and the UK Navies.  I wonder if @RedneckBob will have a story for us today.  Not sure how many are black but cats will certainly be celebrated today.  I did visit Da Nang on the Zaandam 2/15/12.  I love the Levant quote but think I will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Mango Gazpacho, Chateaubriand, and Carrot Cake as served on MS Amsterdam October 27, 2017:

dishes27.jpg

It's a chilly but otherwise pleasant day today, the first day of early voting in Maryland.  Much of my walk will be to our neighborhood senior center where I hope the lines will not be too long.

Today’s care list:

Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
summer slope yellow fever shot dilema
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri in ICU after multiple falls
Quaartzite Cruiser DH post surgery fever
Ottahand7 DB with post-surgery complications
smitty24877 cardiology tests
From the rotation:
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Graham
Rotterdam in New York

rdamnight.thumb.JPG.6e40b75a06342d03d283bc360a917bc0.JPG
Sandy’s neighbor Linda headed home
Better than expected EMG report for Cruisin Terri
Aliaschief on Scenic Sapphire
Welcome home Dismomx5
Cruisin Single  (American Star  to 10/30),  and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30) .  Oceansaway17 (Equinox  to 11/3) , Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) and Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 13

Good morning all.  Thanks for the daily report.  How appropriate as we get closer to Halloween to celebrate black cats.  I love listening to someone tell a good story.  Thanks to the Navy who keeps us safe.  Interesting quote today, probably very true in many cases. The meal and drink suggestions sound very nice.  Prayers for everyone who needs them today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events.🍻

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Bourbon Cider Sour cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Jim Beam®
3 parts cold Apple Cider
1 1/2 parts Orange Juice
3/4 part Simple Syrup
Apple Slices

Instructions
Combine the bourbon, apple cider, orange juice, and simple syrup. Stir. Serve over ice with an apple slice.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 6.59.27 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich.  A big salute to our, Canada's and the UK Navies.  I wonder if @RedneckBob will have a story for us today.  Not sure how many are black but cats will certainly be celebrated today.  I did visit Da Nang on the Zaandam 2/15/12.  I love the Levant quote but think I will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Mango Gazpacho, Chateaubriand, and Carrot Cake as served on MS Amsterdam October 27, 2017:

dishes27.jpg

It's a chilly but otherwise pleasant day today, the first day of early voting in Maryland.  Much of my walk will be to our neighborhood senior center where I hope the lines will not be too long.

Today’s care list:

Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
summer slope yellow fever shot dilema
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri in ICU after multiple falls
Quaartzite Cruiser DH post surgery fever
Ottahand7 DB with post-surgery complications
smitty24877 cardiology tests
From the rotation:
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Graham
Rotterdam in New York

rdamnight.thumb.JPG.6e40b75a06342d03d283bc360a917bc0.JPG
Sandy’s neighbor Linda headed home
Better than expected EMG report for Cruisin Terri
Aliaschief on Scenic Sapphire
Welcome home Dismomx5
Cruisin Single  (American Star  to 10/30),  and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30) .  Oceansaway17 (Equinox  to 11/3) , Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) and Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and also for  my birthday wishes.

Graham.

• Like 18

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich and Roy for today's lists and my birthday wishes.

3 great days today.

Before I married and lived with my parents we had several Black Cats.

My local and lifelong football team Sunderland are known as the Black Cats.

Not sure about today's food but  Sauvignon Blanc is my favourite wine.

My prayers go out to all those in need.

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221027_120129.jpg

Screenshot_20221027_120149.jpg

Screenshot_20221027_120209.jpg

Screenshot_20221027_121637.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Interesting days but not a fan of black cats.

Oscar Levant was a very funny person but was conflicted  and the quote probably has some truth to it.

The meal is something I would probably like.

When I was stationed in Nha Trang Vietnam, the Air Force was asking for volunteers to transfer to Da Nang which at the time was known as Dodge City, I took a pass on volunteering.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 24

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich and Roy for today's lists and my birthday wishes.

3 great days today.

Before I married and lived with my parents we had several Black Cats.

My local and lifelong football team Sunderland are known as the Black Cats.

Not sure about today's food but  Sauvignon Blanc is my favourite wine.

My prayers go out to all those in need.

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221027_120129.jpg

Screenshot_20221027_120149.jpg

Screenshot_20221027_120209.jpg

Screenshot_20221027_121637.jpg

Have a great birthday!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!   

It is supposed to be cool and overcast today, but that's ok as long as it isn't raining.  I went and got more small boxes yesterday as well as a new coffee pot.  The old one developed a leak.  I also made arrangements for pick up of some bulky items today and got those to the curb.  Scavengers reduced the load a bit.  All the utilities for both houses have been contacted and we will have lights and water in the new house when we move in.  Today's agenda is more of the same.  

We are definitely in soup and stew season.  Soup is wonderful on a blustery autumn or winter day.  Today's soup is full of goodness.   

Arborio rice is a variety of short-grain rice used primarily in the classical preparation of risotto. Named after the area in Italy where it was originally cultivated, today the rice is also grown in the U.S. in states such as California and Texas. Arborio rice is short, fat, and slightly oval-shaped with a pearly white exterior. There are various size designations, of which super fino—the largest grain size—is the one most commonly used in the United States.

Arborio rice is high in amylopectin, a starch present in rice. Because it undergoes less milling than ordinary long-grain rice, arborio retains more of its natural starch content. Cooking the rice releases this starch, resulting in a firmer, chewier, and creamier rice compared to other kinds of rice. Arborio rice is a little less than double the cost of regular long-grain white rice.  https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-arborio-rice-995971

1527667697_arboriorice.thumb.jpg.928e5934924cc3eea8506ed7308fbcd2.jpg

Our first recipe comes from Taste of Home and is full of good vegetables and protein.  Rice and beans together make a complete protein, so no need to add meat to the dish.   It is a little carb heavy for those watching the carbs.  The good news is the beans really aren't all that bad because of the fiber content.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/arborio-rice-and-white-bean-soup/

1990722609_Whitebeansoup1.jpg.d5b42849331cce5adc3aeee39fda4f1b.jpg

The next one uses different ingredients, but I'm sure it is equally tasty and satisfying. https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/white-bean-and-arborio-rice-soup/

1214895764_whitebeansoup2.jpg.2502276ff750248369575ee741cd36f7.jpg

And this one has a tomato broth.  https://dirtygourmet.com/2010/03/29/arborio-rice-and-white-bean-vegetable-soup/

2056954108_whitebeansoup3.jpg.636c344cec019b9ba26e4978246d8fb2.jpg

Last, but not least, I want to wish Graham @grapau27 a very happy birthday!   Enjoy dinner with your Sarah.   

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.4f3dd56b4ad5e626ceec4a606cbf075e.jpg

Wishing you all a very good day.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Another lovely morning, though almost 10 degrees warmer than yesterday. Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! We have been keeping you so busy for the past 2 1/2 years. 

Heading out with Bindi now, since she had another late morning. She is definitely feeling her age. Then gardening and a visit to the Vet for the annual heart worm test.

B0501699-0A8D-47E6-9DFC-29AF024DEC1C.jpeg.8feaf6f86c585ea092cd781281240ec4.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, praying that Friday’s visit focuses on a minor, treatable issue. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Simi Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma County, CA

A decent Sauvignon Blanc, consistently at the high end of Very Good ratings, and very reasonably priced. Easy to find online & in stores with prices starting at $9.98.

Winemaker Notes

This brilliantly clear, pale-straw-colored Sauvignon Blanc is fresh, bright, and crisp. The wine opens with complex aromas of lime zest, Meyer lemon, pink grapefruit, lemongrass, freshly cut hay, honeysuckle, and a hint of wet stone. Fresh and forward, zesty flavors of grapefruit and citrus with subtle herbal notes meld beautifully with a vivid acidity. Fresh, full, and vibrant, the finish is long and lingering with lemongrass and mineral. SIMI Winery Executive Chef Kolin Vazzoler suggests pairing this wine with shaved spring vegetables and radicchio with shallot Sauvignon Blanc vinaigrette, Dungeness crab salad with endive and Meyer lemon dressing, BBQ scallops with salsa verde, arugula pesto tortellini, and roasted sole with parsley, capers, and garlic. It’s also a great aperitif with prosciutto and melon, goat cheese, poke salad, or raw oysters.

WW88 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
 The 2019 Simi Sauvignon Blanc is smooth and nicely textured. This wine offers delightful aromas and flavors of apple, peach, and melon. Enjoy it as an aperitif or with melon and prosciutto. 
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Good morning, friends!  It's a nice morning, 45F but will be sunny and 72 later.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor our Daily and Fleet Report!  I think black cats have gotten a bad rap.  Besides, black cats are some of the prettiest cats out there.  A salute to our Navy members.  My DBIL was in the Navy and I can't him or twin on a ship because of it.  I tell them cruise ships are quite different than Navy vessels in the late 60's and 70's!  I wish I knew a good story to tell today, but I could just read my Kindle where I am in the middle of a novel right now.  The soup recipes looks good.  Thanks Debbie @dfishfor providing the photos and recipes even while in the midst of a major move!  Did you go with the PODS or a moving van?  Best of luck to you and Sis in your new home!  Also think I would like today's wine, but probably not the drink of the day.  Da Nang (Hue), Vietnam is a first time port on the Daily so no links needed today.  I haven't been there and I imagine several of you Dailyites would have preferred not to see that city!  Interesting that we have two Vietnamese ports in a row.  If you have any photos, please post so we can see what we've missed.  😂

Happy Birthday to Graham today!  Have a great day and dinner this evening with Sarah and Pauline.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLcaII2t-CnJ2xiYISM_P6v4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1666870892

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Many prayers to everyone on the Care list, especially to Steve.  Hope your fever stays away and you can get to the rehab hospital nearer to home.  I also hope Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserwas able to get some rest last night.  Prayers also to Terry @smitty34877and her DH.  Hope the cardiologist has "not so terrible" news, and you can work out a solution to any problems.  Best wishes to Tana as well.  Cheers to the Celebration list!  I have only 3 weeks to get myself organized for our cruise, and I am way behind.  I guess because I don't really believe it's happening for some reason.  🤪

Cheers to all of you!  Have a great day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

A very quick good morning from central Texas where it is 47F.  I got 8 1/2 hours sleep last night, so I'm running a little late this morning.  I won't know the plan for the day until I get to the hospital.  That is also when I'll have time to read the Fleet/Daily.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for reposting my pictures for me.  We have been to today's port and took a tour to Hue..  i would appreciate if you could find them because I'm pretty sure they were posted previously.  The port for Danang and Hue is Chan May so it might be listed under that name.  I did a quick check and couldn't find them, so maybe my memory is not right.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 23