Has Celebrity changed the size of the burgers served fleet wide?

Tipsy252

4 hours ago, john2003 said:

Having recently  got off the Eclipse, I was surprised how precooked the burgers were. They seemed to have very large pans full of burgers in a hot cabinet rather than fresh cooked. 

Thats whats happening on 9/10 cruises for me. And thats why I always ask for a fresh one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Sorry but the the Luminae Signature Burger is still my favorite burger at sea.

I also like Johnny Rockets on Royal Caribbean.

The Luminae burger is good - certainly better than a buffet style burger. Though it and Johnny Rockets, compared to Guy's, is not one that's "included" for everyone - so it's sort of an extra cost burger - as is the Lawn Club Grill "Celebrity's Signature Burger" (BTW, this is a required burger for anyone who considers themselves a burger lover):

i-gJVbVVS.jpg

When I was last in Luminae and ordered the Luminae Burger, I also asked for yellow mustard. All that they were able to come up with was Dijon -- Grey Poupon anyone? I'm a yellow mustard fan (for the burger and the fries!), but many specialty venues on ships don't have it on hand - some will make a trek to get it for you. The single thin slice of American cheese looks pretty sad too.

i-KCcnScP-L.jpg

Tom

7 hours ago, john2003 said:

Having recently  got off the Eclipse, I was surprised how precooked the burgers were. They seemed to have very large pans full of burgers in a hot cabinet rather than fresh cooked. 

That's why you ask to have it cooked your way. They will. No problem. 

@Tom-n-Cheryl  Point taken, butt I have no frame of reference.  I have not sailed on Carnival l since 2006 and chances are I will not be sailing on Carnival again.

Mustard is needed on any good burger.  However, my preference is brown or Deli mustard. 
Something else that I enjoy on my burgers is steak sauce, preferably A-1.  When I grill burgers at home I put a little on the meat while it's cooking and then a little more when I assemble the burger. 

As for fries -- bar-b-que sauce makes a great dip !  

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

+1👍 French's classic yellow mustard. 

Up until I was probably 50 or so, I was a ketchup fanatic (on everything.... mac-n-cheese, eggs, cottage cheese... YEP!). Cheryl even bought me this shirt, which I wore like a doof:

i-sDhgPCV.jpg

Then, I made the plunge to the Yellow Side. Without the added sugar (of ketchup), I can now taste more of what I'm eating!

Tom

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

@Tom-n-Cheryl ...

Mustard is needed on any good burger.  However, my preference is brown or Deli mustard. 
Something else that I enjoy on my burgers is steak sauce, preferably A-1.  When I grill burgers at home I put a little on the meat while it's cooking and then a little more when I assemble the burger. 

One of my first jobs was working the grill at a steakhouse. My favorite there was "the #4", which was a hamburger. I'd cook it rare and then make my way to the salad bar and load it up with my version of special sauce (thousand island dressing)!  🙂

Tom

• Like 2

Just now, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

One of my first jobs was working the grill at a steakhouse. My favorite there was "the #4", which was a hamburger. I'd cook it rare and then make my way to the salad bar and load it up with my version of special sauce (thousand island dressing)!  🙂

Tom

Whenever I have a pastrami 'burger I always put thousand island dressing on it. 

We were on the Silhouette trans-Atlantic.  Talked with our dinner waiter one night about burgers.  He said the burgers at the mast grille, Oceanview, and in the dining room at lunch are all "Purchased."  The burgers made on board are at the specialty restaurants.  He did not mention Blu or Luminae.

Just now, StartrainDD said:

We were on the Silhouette trans-Atlantic.  Talked with our dinner waiter one night about burgers.  He said the burgers at the mast grille, Oceanview, and in the dining room at lunch are all "Purchased."  The burgers made on board are at the specialty restaurants.  He did not mention Blu or Luminae.

I cannot speak for Blu but the burger patties in Luminae appear to be hand made.  Unlike those I have had at the Mast Grill and in the Oceanview Cafe, they have not been perfectly round and they are thicker as well as having a different flavor. 

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

The Luminae burger is good - certainly better than a buffet style burger. Though it and Johnny Rockets, compared to Guy's, is not one that's "included" for everyone - so it's sort of an extra cost burger - as is the Lawn Club Grill "Celebrity's Signature Burger" (BTW, this is a required burger for anyone who considers themselves a burger lover):

i-gJVbVVS.jpg

When I was last in Luminae and ordered the Luminae Burger, I also asked for yellow mustard. All that they were able to come up with was Dijon -- Grey Poupon anyone? I'm a yellow mustard fan (for the burger and the fries!), but many specialty venues on ships don't have it on hand - some will make a trek to get it for you. The single thin slice of American cheese looks pretty sad too.

i-KCcnScP-L.jpg

Tom

With the lawn club, yup, dry age ribeye and prime chunk, it's all about the beef and the buffet/Mast grill isn't using these.  I just wish the mast grill was on par with guys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

I cannot speak for Blu but the burger patties in Luminae appear to be hand made.  Unlike those I have had at the Mast Grill and in the Oceanview Cafe, they have not been perfectly round and they are thicker as well as having a different flavor. 

Pretty sure Blu doesn't have a beef burger, only a beyond burger

Do they still offer the turkey burger at the mast grill?   I've enjoyed those for years and had it on the Equinox in March.   You had to ask for it and usually they would cook it to order... on the Equinox they had some cooked and would "heat" it up on the grill.  On the other ships I usually had to wait about 10 minutes for it to be cooked.  Had to wait the 10 minutes when ordering on the Summit last December.

51 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

With the lawn club, yup, dry age ribeye and prime chunk, it's all about the beef and the buffet/Mast grill isn't using these.  I just wish the mast grill was on par with guys.

I likes me some Prime Chunk  😄 

Tom

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, john2003 said:

I'm sure it's mostly to help keep lines down. Can you imagine the line if they were cooking each burger as ordered?? Then people would complain about those lines.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gaynors said:

Do they still offer the turkey burger at the mast grill?   I've enjoyed those for years and had it on the Equinox in March.   You had to ask for it and usually they would cook it to order... on the Equinox they had some cooked and would "heat" it up on the grill.  On the other ships I usually had to wait about 10 minutes for it to be cooked.  Had to wait the 10 minutes when ordering on the Summit last December.

The pool grill on the Summit did on our September cruise. 

11 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I likes me some Prime Chunk  😄 

Tom

Costco has American Wagyu for $5.69/lb which is about $3 per burger patty with tax.  Add some salt and garlic powder (or garlic salt), don't pack them too tight when forming patties and however you cook them, never press on them.  The results will be a "99% burger" or a burger that's better than 99% of burgers that you've ever eaten.

r/Costco - American Wagyu Ground Beef (new item at Brooklyn, NY Costco)

20 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Costco has American Wagyu for $5.69/lb which is about $3 per burger patty with tax.  Add some salt and garlic powder (or garlic salt), don't pack them too tight when forming patties and however you cook them, never press on them.  The results will be a "99% burger" or a burger that's better than 99% of burgers that you've ever eaten.

Interesting - thanks for the tip. That's a great price. I wonder if "free graze" equates to "grass fed".

I've never been inside a Costco, but one opened up nearby recently. Here's one more reason to get a membership!

I've been picking up a 70/30 (grass fed/finished) of late at Publix. I think it's something like $7.99 --- and juicy 🙂

Tom

23 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Have you ever tried bison burgers?  I like them but the meat at Costco is too lean and I don't think they taste good after grilling.

8 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Interesting - thanks for the tip. That's a great price. I wonder if "free graze" equates to "grass fed".

I've never been inside a Costco, but one opened up nearby recently. Here's one more reason to get a membership!

I've been picking up a 70/30 (grass fed/finished) of late at Publix. I think it's something like $7.99 --- and juicy 🙂

Tom

They're two different things although free graze usually means they're eating grass.  Free graze has more to do with being more humane than its diet.  Both Guy and Ramsey add butter to their patties which adds some fat and flavor.  I actually love the smash patties but they're somewhat a pain as each patty requires your attention; most people accidently cook them to well done.

• Like 1

We will be on the 12/5/22 Silhouette sailing.  Our embarkation ritual is (1) Passport bar for celebratory glasses of Champagne then, (2) the Mast Grill at 11:30 a.m. for lunch.  We sailed Celebrity 12 months ago and I'll know if the hamburgers or the special sauce have changed. 

Mast Grill lunch on embarkation day is heaven.  Safely onboard with iced cold beer, burgers, thick fries, the working world down below and an entire cruise ahead.  Come to think of it, it's a, "Cheeseburger in paradise".☺️

Edited by Wolf 8
  • Like 5