Princess Loyalty Credit

dazee8

26 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

It was eliminated when they restarted cruising back in July 2021.  That's also when they rolled out the new Elite benefits.

"That's also when they rolled out the new REDUCED Elite benefits."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I never thought I'd be able to go on enough cruises to get loyalty credit, but here I am.  

All I ever wanted was laundry.  On any line I sail, that's all that's important to me and a goal! 

That said, yup, they sure are chipping away at the loyalty benefits.  

• Like 2

For us the big loyalty perk started on our first Princess cruise when we got Shareholder Benefits OBC as well as Military OBC for both of us as we’re both retired. Sometimes on the longer cruises, we start out with $750. Then there is the $100 FCDs we can purchase onboard, which gets us another $300 in OBC (on the longer cruises). So the Loyalty OBC perk may be gone, but there is still plenty to smile about when it comes to Princess passing out free OBC. 😁

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 9

So true, Ken.  And, like you I am very much smiling, being lucky enough to get both shareholder and military OBC.  If they had to cut the 'loyalty' OBC and a few other bits and pieces in order to maintain those at current levels, then I see that as a very good decision.

I guess those who bemoan the loss of $25 OBC are perhaps those who aren't shareholders and paid around $50K (25 cruises at $2k each) to earn that.  Whereas for a one-off expenditure of not much more than $1000 they could earn shareholder OBC of up to $250 per cruise.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

"That's also when they rolled out the new REDUCED Elite benefits."

What are the current reduced Elite benefits?

* Apologies for asking. It has been many years since our last Princess cruise...Happy Thanksgiving. :classic_smile:

2 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

What are the current reduced Elite benefits?

* Apologies for asking. It has been many years since our last Princess cruise...Happy Thanksgiving. :classic_smile:

Basically, if you go for a Princess Plus fare the Elite benefits aren't reduced at all.  In fact, you are getting far more bang for your buck.  The issue some on here seem to have with that is that anyone can get the same benefits, and that makes them very sad because they think Princess isn't recognising just how 'special' they are being Elite (along with the hundreds of thousands of others who are also Elite).  I'd hazard a guess that there will be a significant overlap between individuals in the 'don't they realise how special I am' group and those who think that the loss of a $25 loyalty OBC is the end of the world as they know it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Basically, if you go for a Princess Plus fare the Elite benefits aren't reduced at all.  In fact, you are getting far more bang for your buck.  The issue some on here seem to have with that is that anyone can get the same benefits, and that makes them very sad because they think Princess isn't recognising just how 'special' they are being Elite (along with the hundreds of thousands of others who are also Elite).  I'd hazard a guess that there will be a significant overlap between individuals in the 'don't they realise how special I am' group and those who think that the loss of a $25 loyalty OBC is the end of the world as they know it.

Taking away the loyalty benefit was just one more way that Princess is saying our loyalty with them is unimportant.  Just so you know, it started at $25.00 for having sailed 20 cruises, but increased up to $100.00 per cruise after 52 cruises which is where we are.  It was a very nice "thank you" from Princess.

• Like 1

I was closing in on the $100 loyalty benefit so I was said when it went away.  However, it's been nice to get the 10% excursion rebate.  On some cruises it has actually exceeded the loyalty benefit which was per cabin.  I haven't been to the spa for a while (don't like the sales pitches!) but getting a rebate on that would be nice if / when I choose to go back.  So yes, cutbacks are the way of the world but there's still plenty to smile about!

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I was closing in on the $100 loyalty benefit so I was said when it went away.  However, it's been nice to get the 10% excursion rebate.  On some cruises it has actually exceeded the loyalty benefit which was per cabin.  I haven't been to the spa for a while (don't like the sales pitches!) but getting a rebate on that would be nice if / when I choose to go back.  So yes, cutbacks are the way of the world but there's still plenty to smile about!

I like your positive spin on the cut backs.  I, too, was approaching the $100 mark.  But unlike you, I travel solo, do not often do Princess excursions (10%), miss the free wifi (but appreciate the 50% price/no worries about time), do not do the spa, 10% discount in shops is a hit and miss, and you get the picture.  Least we mention the other cutbacks.  

I am well aware of the difference between loyalty OBC and the minimizing of Elite benefits.  It is the overall perspective that Princess is reducing their focus on their loyal passengers that bothers me.  But I have too much invested in Princess to jump ship.  

I will adopt @azbirdmom attitude and smile every time I board a ship to nowhere.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It is the overall perspective that Princess is reducing their focus on their loyal passengers that bothers me.  But I have too much invested in Princess to jump ship. 

From reading cruise critic, it seems like this has had no effect on attracting customers.

There is grumbling here, but almost no one has announced they are quitting princess.

So, from a business perspective, this is a good decision.   Upside: save money  Downside: none

Princess should reduce benefits until they see a decrease in customers.  Then, back-off just a little bit.

This is the same way one torques a bolt.

Turn it until the head snaps off, then back off just a little bit.

2 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

This is the same way one torques a bolt.

Turn it until the head snaps off, then back off just a little bit.

But, Like when the bolt head snaps off, there is extra work to be done to complete what you were trying to accomplish.  The extra work might be too much to overcome!

31 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

There is grumbling here, but almost no one has announced they are quitting princess.

I don’t think that’s true.  And though not many may be quitting, I know of several who have reduced their cruises. People know better than to come on this board and announce that they’re quitting Princess. More telling, I think, are the number of people who are just quietly cutting back. The loyalty OBC used to add up to over $1000 a year for us. I don’t think that’s as trivial as some are making it out to be. Our travel budget is set, and between higher air fares, cruise fares (admittedly due in part to Princess Plus) and fewer OBCs, something has to give. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

If a person can afford multiple b2b cruises, the demise of the loyalty credit is not the end of the world.  The packages, if applicable, can save a bunch of money vs past rates even with loyalty credits factored in.  They are in business to make every incremental dollar, not give it away!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I don’t think that’s true.  And though not many may be quitting, I know of several who have reduced their cruises. People know better than to come on this board and announce that they’re quitting Princess. More telling, I think, are the number of people who are just quietly cutting back. The loyalty OBC used to add up to over $1000 a year for us. I don’t think that’s as trivial as some are making it out to be. Our travel budget is set, and between higher air fares, cruise fares (admittedly due in part to Princess Plus) and fewer OBCs, something has to give. 

Random thoughts: Princess has nothing to do with high air fares, the maximum loyalty credit per cruise was only $100, in comparing cruise prices over the last decade: per room charge was up year over year until 2020 then its dropped off drastically 

17 hours ago, justafem said:

I never thought I'd be able to go on enough cruises to get loyalty credit, but here I am.  

All I ever wanted was laundry.  On any line I sail, that's all that's important to me and a goal! 

That said, yup, they sure are chipping away at the loyalty benefits.  

Internet is no longer per minute anywhere so now I get unlimited at 50% off if I want it. I still get unlimited free laundry, elite tea, Grapevine wine tasting, priority boarding, early booking. I get a new benefit (10% off shore excursions & full priced items in Princess shops onboard). 

Finally, if losing 100 OBC per cruise (that was the maximum) & an extra comped MTG lunch / dinner breaks my budget then I probably cannot afford to cruise. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Finally, if losing 100 OBC per cruise (that was the maximum) & an extra comped MTG lunch / dinner breaks my budget then I probably cannot afford to cruise. 

There is a big difference between not being able to cruise, and purposefully choosing to cruise less because of rising prices. Perhaps you don’t have a budget for travel, but I do. If I didn’t, I might be cruising on a line other than Princess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

There is a big difference between not being able to cruise, and purposefully choosing to cruise less because of rising prices. Perhaps you don’t have a budget for travel, but I do. If I didn’t, I might be cruising on a line other than Princess. 

You're right, I don't. I cruise on Princess because the vibe suits me. Giving up 100 OBC and eating in MDR is fine. I've never gone hungry on a cruise ship

Last time I did a Panama Canal cruise I paid 2300 for the room. This time I'm paying 1307. But I lost 100 OBC. Overall saving almost 1k so giving up 100 OBC seems like no big deal

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Last time I did a Panama Canal cruise I paid 2300 for the room. This time I'm paying 1307. But I lost 100 OBC. Overall saving almost 1k so giving up 100 OBC seems like no big deal

This seems, to me, to be the crux of the 2 different schools of thought on here.  One group is focused on a great value product, the other on inconsequential fripperies that allegedly reward their 'loyalty'.  I'll take the cash savings, thank you.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1