Compensation for delay

cruisekap

Hi all,  I am sitting in Tampa airport waiting for the fog to clear so I can board Brilliance.  As I am very bored I thought I would ask it Royal will compensate us in any way.  Currently it looks like we MAY start boarding between 8-10 pm. 

Thanks, Kathy 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, cruisekap said:

As I am very bored I thought I would ask it Royal will compensate us in any way.

I'm guessing they won't compensate anything, I'm pretty sure it's in your cruise contract that RCI is not responsible for weather related events.  Crummy way to start the vacation though.

• Like 1

I blame Royal for this delay.  They should have had the foresight to see the need to go through the monumental process of government approval (and cost) to install a farm of wind turbines.  There would be two benefits: 1) shore power and 2) blow away the fog.  I feel compensation is deserved in this case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, soremekun said:

I blame Royal for this delay.  They should have had the foresight to see the need to go through the monumental process of government approval (and cost) to install a farm of wind turbines.  There would be two benefits: 1) shore power and 2) blow away the fog.  I feel compensation is deserved in this case.

Good idea. The wind generated power could probably net them some energy offsets too 🤔

• Like 1

I have been on several cruises with weather issues and Royal has offered a couple of free beverages etc.   A nice gesture.  I have never been delayed though.  I was just curious and of course I have travel insurance. I do think the wind turbine idea is fabulous. 😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Deblynch23 said:

I guess my question is for those of us who have drink packages and prepaid specialty dining, I wonder if we can at least get a prorated compensation since it really won’t be used today. 

Given that most passengers waiting to board haven't eaten, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't keep restaurants open later to feed everyone.  Afterall, the food was provisioned and prepped, so I can't see the ship not holding staff to serve for the late arrival.  The only benefactors will be the entertainment staff that didn't have to perform early.  

Liberty of the Seas arrived in Fort Lauderdale for the season at 2pm and boarding didn't commence until after 3pm.  I just thought The Key lunch would be missed given it's usually served noon to 1:30pm, but we were told the MDR was open and they were waiting for us for a late lunch.

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Our last fog delay, they gave us $25

Was that pre-COVID, prior to cruise lines burying themselves in the current pile of debt they find themselves in now?  Today that nice gesture would simply be foolish and frivolous.  

56 minutes ago, Deblynch23 said:

I guess my question is for those of us who have drink packages and prepaid specialty dining, I wonder if we can at least get a prorated compensation since it really won’t be used today. 

I didn't think of that, given how long the delay seems to be, I think that would be fair. If it was just a couple hours I'd say 🙄 but now that I see it's basically the whole day, you guys should definitely be refunded a days worth of the "extras" (internet, dining, drinks).

We once lost the whole first day/night of our cruise because the previous sailing couldn’t get under the Skyway Bridge due to weather ( more than fog). We were refunded for the missed day and given money in OBC to cover expenses related getting your own lunch and dinner landside on the missed day. Plus we got a certain percent off our next cruise.

1 hour ago, PWP-001 said:

Was that pre-COVID, prior to cruise lines burying themselves in the current pile of debt they find themselves in now?  Today that nice gesture would simply be foolish and frivolous.  

January of 2020.  Boarded at 6:30pm and headed directly to chops.  Ship did not leave until next am and we missed one port

2 hours ago, Deblynch23 said:

53 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

I can definitely see how compensation would be warranted for those with a drink package. Weather-related or not, it is cutting into the daily beverage rate you paid for, and I doubt the cruise terminal has an open bar!

I am guessing that people with a drink package will imbibe heavily once they board.  😄 😄 😄 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deblynch23 said:

Welcome to CC and coming out of lurk mode.

Approach GS tomorrow with that question - they may have some feedback from Miami by then.

• Like 1

On Royal Site: Since we’re cutting our cruise short, we’ll provide you with the value of 1 day of your cruise fare as a refundable onboard credit. Plus, you’ll receive a prorated refundable onboard credit for any pre-cruise packages you have purchased, including RoyalUp

• Like 1

Many years ago, on the Navigator, we had a weather delay...a hurricane also known as a "medicane" because it was in the Mediterranean. We had to overnight in Barcelona...no one complained.........the Captain announced on the PA system that "ALL DRINKS WILL BE FREE, TO ALL PASSENGERS FOR 2 HOURS".....I don't remember what happened after that. :classic_ninja:

• Haha 4