Jewel of a baby born at sea

orville99

16 hours ago, BND said:

Oops just saw this after mentioning a FB post about it.  Impossible.  She's just covering her butt.  She knows breaking RCI rules can get her banned.

We will never know because of privacy issues, but I would be willing to bet she has already been banned. As several articles online (via google) mention, no way she was 22 weeks pregnant when she boarded the ship and no way she didn’t know that.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

We'll see if this causes RC to become more strict on pregnancy verification.

They got lucky and were already en route to Jamaica when the baby was born. Imagine the ramifications if they were a couple hundred miles from any medical facility.

A letter from a Dr is probably the step that should be taken.  If someone forges one using a real Dr's name, they are facing more than being banned from cruising.  Of course that hasn't stopped people from forging other documents (vaxx cards for example).   It's easy enough for the cruise line to verify that a particular Dr actually exists.   They got very lucky as most babies at 27-29 weeks need a lot of medical intervention and quickly.   

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

We will never know because of privacy issues, but I would be willing to bet she has already been banned. As several articles online (via google) mention, no way she was 22 weeks pregnant when she boarded the ship and no way she didn’t know that.

All you have to do is talk to one ob/gyn who can explain to some of these people how pregnancy progresses.  Also, the fact she stated she was 22 weeks says she knew exactly how pregnant she really was.   It would be entirely different if she had boarded not knowing she was pregnant, but the fact she stated how many weeks means she's been getting care.  This just irks me because it was such a selfish move that could have cost both of them their lives.

Edited by BND
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, BND said:

Wow, because a newspaper named her and where she's from, I easily found her registry (due date Feb 19).  I could find more if I really wanted to spend the time.  Point is, she knew. 

Those medical bills will remind her of what she knew for some time

• Like 5

On 12/2/2022 at 1:07 PM, sjb317 said:

You think? 🙄. As a maternal child nurse for over 40 years, it seems to me that if it is accurate, mom might have been less than truthful about her due date.

Sherri🙂

I have no idea how they are supporting a less than 24 week old newborn in the ship. And I have some thought about the mother that I will keep to myself.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have no idea how they are supporting a less than 24 week old newborn in the ship.

Sounds like they Macgyvered up the equipment they needed to provide care long enough to get to Jamaica in a phone conversation with the Miami NICU doctors.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have no idea how they are supporting a less than 24 week old newborn in the ship. And I have some thought about the mother that I will keep to myself.

Backing up 39 weeks from the posted due date, then going forward to the sail date comes to 27 weeks, if my calculations are correct.  But, your statement still applies.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

"Neonatologist Dr. Jorge Perez said the 2-pound baby boy was born at a little over five weeks on board the Jewel of the Seas."

A little over 5 weeks?  Man journalism is dead.

It says 5 months.

34 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I wonder if they will implement a no sex rule (for women of childbearing age), for the first 3 months, on the World Cruise?  😄

You laugh, but RC has thought of that

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-get-pregnant-before-or-during-the-ultimate-world-cruise

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I wonder if they will implement a no sex rule (for women of childbearing age), for the first 3 months, on the World Cruise?  😄

Odds are there won't be too many women of childbearing years on a world cruise.  I'm thinking the average age will be around 70.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/2/2022 at 1:00 PM, Djsmrs said:

Considering you can't sail beyond 24 weeks gestation the fact that this very premature baby was delivered and survived is a true miracle.   Wow!  A real comment on the quality of care.   

I was going to say the same thing!  A friend of mine delivered at 24 weeks -- her daughter weighed exactly a pound.  That's where I learned the word "micro-preemie", and I'd be just as happy if I'd never had reason to learn it.  We genuinely thought that baby wouldn't make it, but she's about ten now and has a few minor medical issues.  

On 12/2/2022 at 3:53 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

Interesting.  At about 1000gms the baby on average would be about 28-29 weeks.  Unlikely, unless mom had poor prenatal care, that her dates would be off by 5-6 weeks.  She is very fortunate they were able to keep the baby alive as most, but not all babies that size need some respiratory support.  Kudos to the ship staff. I'm guessing she wasn't truthful or perhaps she didn't know she was pregnant. 

Yeah, knowing and telling the truth aren't the same thing.  

On 12/2/2022 at 4:11 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

... Sometimes a place like Ronald McDonald house can help. 

Ronald McDonald house is a great organization.  My (full term) niece was medi-vacced to a children's hospital for surgery when she was an hour old, and the RMac house was a godsend to her parents.  It took away the cost of staying near their child -- even fed them every night.  

On 12/2/2022 at 5:11 PM, ecslady said:

I hope both parents and baby are OK.  I have not heard anything about the sex of the baby, but if it is a girl. I hope they name it Jewel.

I was going to say, they could name the baby Rachel Christine and call her "RC".  But Jewel is better.  

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Free condoms in every room?  

1 hour ago, BND said:

Odds are there won't be too many women of childbearing years on a world cruise.  I'm thinking the average age will be around 70.  

Very likely.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

I can't imagine putting my baby at risk for the sake of a cruise. My IVF twins were born at 29 weeks and weighed 3.5 and 4 pounds. Everyone was very surprised at their size along with no medical intervention needed. If this womans info is accurate, she and her baby are very lucky.

• Like 2