Jewel of a baby born at sea

orville99

Local news (NBC) just reported that a passenger on Jewel of the Seas went into labor (early) while onboard Jewel of the Seas and gave birth on Tuesday. The baby and mom were reported as doing well and were transferred to a hospital in Jamaica and will be going to the Nicklaus Children's hospital in Miami.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 5

Royal Caribbean's pregnancy policy is less than 23 weeks to board. A premie born at 23 weeks would be about 12" long and about 1 1/4 pounds. "Mom and baby doing well" seems, um, not so accurate.

Best wishes to the family! I sailed at 21 weeks long ago without issue. My baby, born at 41 weeks, is now a college sophomore.

Edited by cyntil8ing
  • Like 9

21 minutes ago, island lady said:

How does that work for citizenship of the baby?  

Interesting question.  She was not born in Jamaica, and I have no idea if they have birthright citizenship.  If the mother is American, the baby is a citizen of the US.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

Royal Caribbean's pregnancy policy is less than 23 weeks to board. A premie born at 23 weeks would be about 12" long and about 1 1/4 pounds. "Mom and baby doing well" seems, um, not so accurate.

You think? 🙄. As a maternal child nurse for over 40 years, it seems to me that if it is accurate, mom might have been less than truthful about her due date.

Sherri🙂

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

I wish the baby and mother the best.  As far as policy, they do not require a doctors note, so they take people at their word.  I do know we were at a muster years ago beside a woman who was very pregnant.  Someone asked her when she was due and she didn't answer but her Mom who was traveling with her said in 8 weeks!  😱  We saw this same woman up on the pool deck smoking a cigarette. 😲

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

More than likely the baby was not born at 23 weeks.  Either someone who didn't know she was pregnant (very rare) or someone who wasn't entirely honest.  Just because someone says they're less than 24 weeks pregnant doesn't mean they are.   I'm curious as to the size of the baby.  That will tell us a lot, but I'm betting on the not under 24 weeks.

BTW, we just got off Jewel on 19 Nov after a b2b.  At the Captain's Corner someone asked about babies born at sea's citizenship.  The Captain then proceeded to mention he had a crew member hide her pregnancy and deliver on an RCI ship (didnt' name which one) that the CD (Susan Adams) was also on and that the baby has citizenship of the country of ship's registration.  So, Bahamas for that one.  The mom wanted to give birth in the US so she hid her pregnancy, but she didn't count on delivering in international waters.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

found another article that said the baby weighed only 2.2 lbs so definitely premature.  Congrats to the new mom and hopefully all turns out well.

Perez was on the phone with the ship’s doctor all night, guiding the crew on how to turn an adult ventilator into one for a premature baby and how to mix antibiotics and give medicine to the newborn.

Finally, the baby was born, weighing 2.2 pounds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, #1packerfan said:

found another article that said the baby weighed only 2.2 lbs so definitely premature.  Congrats to the new mom and hopefully all turns out well.

Perez was on the phone with the ship’s doctor all night, guiding the crew on how to turn an adult ventilator into one for a premature baby and how to mix antibiotics and give medicine to the newborn.

Finally, the baby was born, weighing 2.2 pounds.

Thanks.  Good luck to the little one!

2 hours ago, flamingos said:

Interesting question.  She was not born in Jamaica, and I have no idea if they have birthright citizenship.  If the mother is American, the baby is a citizen of the US.

I believe Jamaica does have birthright citizenship/jus soli. 

As far as gaining it through your parent(s), I don't think it's necessarily limited to the mother. In some (even many) countries, it is, but I don't believe the US limits it to the mother...it could be the father. https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learn-about-citizenship/i-am-the-child-of-a-us-citizen

Interesting.  At about 1000gms the baby on average would be about 28-29 weeks.  Unlikely, unless mom had poor prenatal care, that her dates would be off by 5-6 weeks.  She is very fortunate they were able to keep the baby alive as most, but not all babies that size need some respiratory support.  Kudos to the ship staff. I'm guessing she wasn't truthful or perhaps she didn't know she was pregnant. 

Just now, Zach1213 said:

I believe Jamaica does have birthright citizenship/jus soli. 

As far as gaining it through your parent(s), I don't think it's necessarily limited to the mother. In some (even many) countries, it is, but I don't believe the US limits it to the mother...it could be the father. https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learn-about-citizenship/i-am-the-child-of-a-us-citizen

Correct.  Thanks. But since the munchkin wasn't on Jamaican territory when it showed up, there should be no birthright there.  I'm thinking the parents might be American because they are getting airlifted to Miami.  Great job by the doctors on board!

1 minute ago, flamingos said:

Correct.  Thanks. But since the munchkin wasn't on Jamaican territory when it showed up, there should be no birthright there.  I'm thinking the parents might be American because they are getting airlifted to Miami.  Great job by the doctors on board!

Oh I definitely understand that Jamaican nationality law has no applicability here, I was just answering the question about if jus soli exists in Jamaican nationality law. Bahamian nationality law could or could not be applicable because of the registration of the ship...Bahamian nationality law does also have jus soli/birthright citizenship, so maybe they're eligible for that too. As a dual citizen, I'm a bit proponent of getting as many passports as you can 🙂

The odds are they're American, sure, but even others (Canadians, Europeans, etc.) could get taken to Miami simply because it's the closest place with the best hospitals. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Interesting.  At about 1000gms the baby on average would be about 28-29 weeks.  Unlikely, unless mom had poor prenatal care, that her dates would be off by 5-6 weeks.  She is very fortunate they were able to keep the baby alive as most, but not all babies that size need some respiratory support.  Kudos to the ship staff. I'm guessing she wasn't truthful or perhaps she didn't know she was pregnant. 

I hope they were local. My daughter was born at 28 weeks weighing 1lb 10 oz and spent 3 months in the NICU. If they're from out-of-the area, someone will now have to stay in Miami with the baby. Perhaps the mom didn't know she was pregnant because the consequences of this cruise will be long and not easy. Sending prayers and blessings to the baby and parents!

• Like 2