Jewel of a baby born at sea

orville99

I've known many parents far from home who delivered early on a vacation or a trip. Not only do you have medical bills which may possibly be out of network but you also have lodging and food while baby grows enough to go home.  Sometimes a place like Ronald McDonald house can help. 

• Thanks 1

The baby is in the NICU (intensive care) and being transported to Miami. When I cruise I purchase insurance that covers the cost of medical transport back to the US. If the baby needs an air ambulance I don't think there is any way to have insurance coverage for that, unless the baby would be covered under the mother's travel insurance? The same for hospital expenses in Jamaica - travel insurance would cover the mother, but what about the baby?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

The baby is in the NICU (intensive care) and being transported to Miami. When I cruise I purchase insurance that covers the cost of medical transport back to the US. If the baby needs an air ambulance I don't think there is any way to have insurance coverage for that, unless the baby would be covered under the mother's travel insurance? The same for hospital expenses in Jamaica - travel insurance would cover the mother, but what about the baby?

Travel insurance may not cover the mother either, depending on the particular policy since pregnancy can be a gray area.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

"Neonatologist Dr. Jorge Perez said the 2-pound baby boy was born at a little over five weeks on board the Jewel of the Seas."

A little over 5 weeks?  Man journalism is dead.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, sjb317 said:

You think? 🙄. As a maternal child nurse for over 40 years, it seems to me that if it is accurate, mom might have been less than truthful about her due date.

Sherri🙂

Exactly, a 22 weeker is generally around 12-14 ounces, to be that size the baby has to have been at least 28 weeks, especially because it is now breathing on its own. 

7 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

Exactly, a 22 weeker is generally around 12-14 ounces, to be that size the baby has to have been at least 28 weeks, especially because it is now breathing on its own. 

It’s always possible that she knew she was pregnant but unsure of date of conception or did not know she was pregnant but you are right, there is no way the baby could be less than 24 weeks.  

Sherri🙂

12 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

My daughter, who was a labor/delivery nurse and now a Women’s Health NP said the same thing.

She has also seen very large women, who would normally not be asked if they were pregnant, as should any woman ever.

Childbirth professionals know the facts, the media just makes up what they want.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, island lady said:

How does that work for citizenship of the baby?  

Maybe wherever the ship is registered.   So that makes baby girl, what,  Liberian?!   😆🤪

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, island lady said:

How does that work for citizenship of the baby?  

Assuming the parents are US citizens they apply to the US Department of State for a certificate "US Citizen born of US parents while overseas."  It happens all the time with people in the military.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The citizenship of the mother.  

Not sure that's accurate, but could even be dual citizenship.  Usually a birth outside the US to US citizens gets a certificate from US Department of State showing the baby is a US citizen born outside the US.  Happens all the time for military parents station overseas.  We had friends who worked for a time in UAE where their daughter was born.  She kept dual citizenship as the UAI was paying their citizens about $5000 a year just for being a citizen.  I recall at age 13 or 14 she had to give up the dual citizenship and became just a US citizen, sadly she lost the stipend from UAI.  But it was a nice college fund.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Not sure that's accurate, but could even be dual citizenship.  Usually a birth outside the US to US citizens gets a certificate from US Department of State showing the baby is a US citizen born outside the US.  Happens all the time for military parents station overseas.  We had friends who worked for a time in UAE where their daughter was born.  She kept dual citizenship as the UAI was paying their citizens about $5000 a year just for being a citizen.  I recall at age 13 or 14 she had to give up the dual citizenship and became just a US citizen, sadly she lost the stipend from UAI.  But it was a nice college fund.  

But this baby was born in international waters, so the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness kicks in, which would default citizenship to the mother/parents.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Oops just saw this after mentioning a FB post about it.  Impossible.  She's just covering her butt.  She knows breaking RCI rules can get her banned.

• Like 2

Just now, smokeybandit said:

But this baby was born in international waters, so the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness kicks in, which would default citizenship to the mother/parents.

I have no idea what that is.  I read it and it still doesn't make sense and I'm not sure it would be applicable in this case as I see no mention of birth at sea only "foundlings" in other countries. 

But, lets assume it's not 1961 and they want their child to be a US citizen they still have to get a US birth certificate or a certificate from the US Department of State if they are going to claim the baby as a US citizen.  Logistically, no county in the US is going to issue a birth certificate so they will have to go to US State Department and request a FS-240.  The request will be made at the US embassy in Jamaica.    

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html

37 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

They wouldn't have been in Jamaica long enough to even go through those proceedings.

Baby was born in international waters Tuesday, got to Jamaica Wednesday and flew to Miami Friday.

I'm sure somebody made a phone call to the Embassy either the cruise agent or a family member.  I'm not sure it has to be done immediately and I'm sure the Department of State has a way to back date it, either way the birth record for the US citizen baby will come from the DoS and he might even be able to claim dual with Jamaica (not sure why) but could.  There's no other US agency who could issue a document showing the baby is a US citizen born abroad.  

There are a lot of gullible people on FB.  Posts about baby being born at 22 weeks.   Please, very easy to figure out that is not the case.   Too bad we'll never know with the privacy issues involved.   As for citizenship, if the parents are US citizens, the baby is also.  Just like babies born overseas to US parents.  The child will not have a state issued BC, but a DOS issued one for a birth outside the US.   Some are making this too complicated.

• Like 1