Sunshine's library is in need of books

dayne

On board now. Never have a seen a library so bare. Only about 25 books in English and none that I wanted to read. Only 2 games and they were missing pieces. Please bring books to donate if you have some.

• Like 1

If you want to read on the ship, bring some books and leave them in the library when you are finished with them.

Personally, I have left a few on Carnival ships, but mostly I download 4 or 5 onto my Kindle for free from my local library. I never run out of reading material. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Clarasgrandma said:

The library on the Freedom was also lacking books when we cruised earlier this year. We plan to take a few books to read and then donate on our next cruise.

I get some people like to hold paper and smell old books , but with digital the traditional library is going away.

Take 1 book or something smaller than 1 book that can hold thousands.

Would be like having a vcr/dvd/blu-ray section most people predownload and some things just aren't needed.

• Like 1

I have found on my last few cruises that libraries are pretty bare, (Not just Carnival -We did NCL last summer and the library selection was the worst I've ever seen.) I love to read on cruises (I'm a book-a-day person on sea days) and I like traditional books, not e-readers, so I usually bring several paperbacks and leave then when I am done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

We've sailed several times on different lines since the restart, and we've noticed that all of the libraries are as the OP described.  Pre-COVID we looked forward to visiting the library on embarkation day to find something to read for the week.  Now we visit our local library and check-out our books, which is fine, as they have so many to choose from.  But as the OP said, if you have any to donate, please do so. Happy sailing!

I ran out of books to read on Celebration a couple weeks ago. I went to Guest Services and asked if I had “missed” finding a library on the ship. The guy went to the back and came out with a crate of books, I suppose books people have left, so found one to read and was pleased. Who would’ve known!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cellfree said:

I ran out of books to read on Celebration a couple weeks ago. I went to Guest Services and asked if I had “missed” finding a library on the ship. The guy went to the back and came out with a crate of books, I suppose books people have left, so found one to read and was pleased. Who would’ve known!

You'd think they'd have put them in the library for everyone.  

My wife and I both love to relax on our balcony with a good book, and most of the time when we're done we donate them to the library.

5 minutes ago, groundloop said:

You'd think they'd have put them in the library for everyone.  

My wife and I both love to relax on our balcony with a good book, and most of the time when we're done we donate them to the library.

There is no library on the Celebration, as it turned out the “crate” was the library!

• Like 1

This was the library onboard Royal's Navigator OTS when I was there last month.  There was some shelves behind me with about half the number of books pictured here.  I didn't see any games.  I didn't see any donations.  I couldn't make any because I haven't brought books on a cruise in a very long time.

IMG_20230304_082114.thumb.jpg.cd51c03ebdabdae374b991bd4a9ffe39.jpg

I was onboard the Ruby Princess and went into their library.  There were far more books and some games.  No pictures of that one, sorry.

20 hours ago, cellfree said:

Interesting (good to know!).  I was disappointed to find that the Excel class ships don't have a library.

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2023 at 1:51 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

This was the library onboard Royal's Navigator OTS when I was there last month.  There was some shelves behind me with about half the number of books pictured here.  I didn't see any games.  I didn't see any donations.  I couldn't make any because I haven't brought books on a cruise in a very long time.

IMG_20230304_082114.thumb.jpg.cd51c03ebdabdae374b991bd4a9ffe39.jpg

As a student, I understand the importance of libraries because there is a lot of research material to be found there. Although you can use a service like https://assignmentbro.com/ca/do-my-assignment to spend less time on home tasks. It makes life a lot easier because you have more free time.

I was onboard the Ruby Princess and went into their library.  There were far more books and some games.  No pictures of that one, sorry.

It's strange to see empty shelves, I don't have much experience with cruising but usually the selection of books was quite good. Although I always take an e-book with me just in case.

I think with the advent of kindles and other forms of e-books readers the concept of libraries (everywhere) has declined.  I used to carry 5-6 books to read on a cruise, taking up a lot of poundage in my suitcase.  My kindle goes right in my backpack, and I have hundreds of books at my fingertips.  Used to think I would hate not having a book in my hands, turning pages, but have adapted quite nicely, as I think many have.

• Like 1

Here’s the “library” on Pride sent by my sister, who is on board. We had the same piece of furniture as library on Venezia last month. My husband did find a book about civilization in Renaissance Italy, which is his kind of book.

IMG_2015.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chrispowell said:

It's strange to see empty shelves, I don't have much experience with cruising but usually the selection of books was quite good. Although I always take an e-book with me just in case.

In this particular case it's a combination of things - 1) Royal isn't known for having or maintaining libraries, 2) their ships don't have many libraries left on them, 3) this library was in a very unusual location, and 4) the general decline of libraries everywhere, as @pe4all noted.

I should note that I was on the Ruby Princess in April and that library had many more books - and also games.  No photos, sorry. ☹️

• Like 2

On Venezia in Sept, will see if the cart is full or bare. I can take a Kindle but on a cruise I prefer actual book - easier in the light on deck, no worries about water, etc and it just "feels" like a cruise activity. 

• Like 1