XPCDOOJK will Not be doing a LIVE on the Harmony beginning Saturday!

xpcdoojk

We are on Harmony with the same 8 day itinerary in Feb, our first time on Harmony. My husband and daughters are also flowrider enthusiasts and will be very happy to get back to it after our NYE cruise on Rhapsody . Glad that itinerary is port heavy.

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Plus I talk nonstop to everyone in the line.

I think you would get along well with my hubby!

Have a great cruise, I’ll be following along.

8 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I will not be posting all of the time on this thread.  I will read everything, because I can on my phone while standing in line for the next ride on the FlowRider.  Since I will waste 8 hours a day in this line.  I spend most of my time making sure I attend to my DW’s every need so I can repeat the same 8 hour activity the next day.  So, not a lot of time to post.  

JC, I expect a full report on the wave during day 5 after 40 or so hours of you standing in line.

I have read that the sports crew on Harmony are allowing the less experienced standup riders more liberties to learn. I hope this is not the case, but please report back.  Enjoy your get away. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

8 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I will not be posting all of the time on this thread.  I will read everything, because I can on my phone while standing in line for the next ride on the FlowRider.  Since I will waste 8 hours a day in this line.  I spend most of my time making sure I attend to my DW’s every need so I can repeat the same 8 hour activity the next day.  So, not a lot of time to post.  

Please follow along.  I am sure there will be some fun and silliness to occur that I will manage to share.

jc

JC, I expect a full report on the wave during day 5 after 40 or so hours of you standing in line.

I have read that the sports crew on Harmony are allowing the less experienced standup riders more liberties to learn. I hope this is not the case, but please report back.  Enjoy your get away. 

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

I hope this is not the case, but it was mostly the case on the Adventure back in May.  Hopefully, the kids are in school and this cruise is mostly people my age.  Therefore less people surfing.  

On the upside there are two waves, on the ship… Hopefully, I get a belly full of surfing.

• Like 5

So, DW, Krystal, dealt with a loose tooth from her implant yesterday evening, then dealt with figuring out what to do with her FSA and dental insurance this morning to pay for a new implant that won’t have a loose tooth, and telling her 96 year old mother we are off on vacation.  I got to go to the bank, to get some cash for incidentals and tips, and I took Rodrhi to the pet resort, where he will be to the morning of the 19th when he will get a bath before Krystal picks him up.  Then home to finish packing.  Krystal began packing this afternoon.  

Grilled a hamburger for me, and an ostrich duck fat burger for her (she has alpha gal) watched last nights Amazing Race (least favorite of the 3 finalists wins).  Now heading to bed.  Clock set for 2:45AM…. 

Wellington aka Wellie the Wire fox terrier who is 12-1/2 will be managed thru the 15th by our friend Tim, when he leaves for vacation, to be taken over by our friends Adrian and Stephanie and kids thru the weekend.  

I hate the night before an early morning, because I usually think about the need to fall asleep and don’t.  Wide awake right now….. sigh.  

Ciao

• Like 8

9 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I bought a new Insta X3… so I might have some videos that will make you want to puke.  I am not sure I am smart enough to edit those pictures.  3D tech is weird.

jc

Fun looking camera.  Nose mode looks creepy though.  Have fun, I'll be looking forward to seeing the results of your attempts with the new camera whenever you get around to posting them..

• Like 2

13 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Is there a bar in Aruba on the way back to the ship pier that can replace Carlos and Charlies for some silly adult drinking?  I need advice on this.  I may plan on piggy backing her again, just to make sure we don’t repeat.  

Sadly, there is no bar in downtown that approaches the atmosphere or energy level of Carlos and Charlies. Actually,  most of the night club type places have moved 20 minutes up the road to where all the high rise hotels are located, leaving downtown a bit dead at night. 

You can try Lucy's Retired Surfer bar. It's an open air, water front place. Looks like the place where you can get silly drunk.  Try the Scorpion Shot. It's tequila with a (hopefully) dead Scorpion at the bottom.  Not sure it's worth $25 but you get a free t-shirt! I didn't try it but I was told it tastes like swallowing a rubber band. I never swallowed a rubber band either. 

Best bet might be try one of the party buses like Kukoo Kunuku.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

hello, from the Four Points Sheraton ,…. Check in was a complete mess.  So many of these hotels have never really recovered from Covid.  Landed on time, got a text saying our room was ready, boarded the shuttle, arrived, no King rooms (all 3 rooms of our party are those).  No biggee check luggage into the closet off to lunch at SouthPort Raw Bar (Hi @Jimbo ).  Lunch.  Not bad not great.  Lovely day out on the patio by the water.  Back to the hotel, stopping at Total wine for two wines to carry on.  Still no rooms…  ladies sharing a cabin sharing a hotel room are starving waiting for a queen to be available. I said, we just stuck our bags in the closet and went to lunch on our own.  They thought it was a great idea after they got a room…. Which took a bit.  K and I immediately got a room at this point it is 3:30 after the check in time.  (I had checked in on the BonVoy app yesterday telling them our arrival at 12:30….  Good lord.  Anyway, Nurse Sally apparently had to fight to get a room they were trying to move her to a different room…. I ignore all of the noise.  

More in the morning

• Like 6

In the morning, the bedside alarm goes off at 6AM.  I did not set the alarm, I was barely aware there was a clock in the room.  After the 3rd repeat, apparently in the dark the snooze button is easy to hit.  I turned on the lights and figured out how to turn it off.  

Back now to yesterday, Originally we were booked in a hotel closer to the Intercoastal on the 17th Street prior to the bridge, and the restaurant, The Boatyard, looked nice, especially the large outdoor deck next to the yachts lining the canal.  I had Shelby (he is retired), call and make a reservation for 5 out on the patio. So, they wouldn’t guarantee the patio, but did make a reservation.  When we arrived at our time of 6:30, the patio was closed for a private event.  So, they set us at a large table with view of the deck and the private event but no views of the yachts.  We ordered a bottle of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, and a bottle of Belle Glos Clark and Telegraph Pinot Noir.  Dinner ordered, shockingly Sally who doesn’t like seafood ordered the shrimp scampi, as did I and Sue. Shelby ordered lobster ravioli, and Krystal ordered Grouper Piccata.  

Waiting for dinner the yawns started in the group, the 2 something wake-up in the Midwest was catching up with us.  The food arrived promptly and it was simply excellent.  My scampi was odd in the way it was made, but it was delicious.  Shrimp with bread crumbs and Parmesan on top of Orzo, with a mild lemon butter sauce (light on sauce) with greens and cooked lemons.  Everyone of us enjoyed dinner.  With tip about $450.  After dinner Sue wanted dessert, as she gave Shelby have her Scampi.  The rest of us, especially me were too stuffed to contemplate dessert.  

About our flights and experience yesterday, our flight left departed the gate on time at 5:25AM and landed a bit early in Charlotte, where we went to the Centurion Lounge with Sally, while Sue and Shelby went to the Admirals club.  I had a nice breakfast and 2 mimosas.  Next flight equally on time.  Luggage found we walk out the door to the shuttle loading area.  Almost immediately about 50 yards further down, a hotel shuttle appears I can read the Holiday Inn Express logo, so wait for the next shuttle.  Finally 5 minutes later the shuttle drives off and as it goes by, I see on the back half of the shuttle Four Points by Sheraton Airport and Cruise port information.  Crap, as it drives by.  Call the hotel, said please send him back around.  They did about 15 minutes later.  Note to self check the shuttles sometimes they are multi hotel oriented.  I still can’t figure out how those two are partnered as they are completely different parent corporations.  I guess maybe the same local owner??

I am going to miss the Centurion Lounge.  Amex charges $695 per year to have the card.  It has some good perks 1 the lounge 2 $200 a year credit for things like the cost of checking my flowboard bag on Airline of Choice ours is American Airlines.  3 $35 a month for Uber, which I will spend this morning.  4 credit for TSA/Global Entry every 4 years.  There are a lot more items of value.  Beginning in February, they are taking away the privilege of taking 2 guests to the lounge, unless you spend $75,000 a year on the card. I probably spend that much on all of my cards, but no way on just that card.  I like Amex, I am not willing to marry Amex.  Rant off.

Anyway we are probably going to eat a joint called Joe’s Diner if it exists near us, at the shopping center that has the TJ Maxx and Total Wine.  

Then back here to get an Uber to the ship.  More later.

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk
  • Like 2

Joe’s Diner was exactly that a kitschy diner next to the Publix grocery store.  Inside and outside seating, all sorts of weird decorations.  Simple food.  I had the French toast deluxe, 2 eggs over easy and bacon.  Very good.  Free coffee until 9AM.  I had already had my daily cup in the room.  

Now finishing packing, and I am jumping into the shower.  Will order two Ubers most likely as I am a bit uncomfortable trying to get 5 of us with luggage into an Uber 6

jc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xpcdoojk said:

Joe’s Diner was exactly that a kitschy diner next to the Publix grocery store.  Inside and outside seating, all sorts of weird decorations.  Simple food.  I had the French toast deluxe, 2 eggs over easy and bacon.  Very good.  Free coffee until 9AM.  I had already had my daily cup in the room.  

Now finishing packing, and I am jumping into the shower.  Will order two Ubers most likely as I am a bit uncomfortable trying to get 5 of us with luggage into an Uber 6

jc

That would be far more enjoyable for me than a $450 dinner.🫨

• Like 4

Day 1 went pretty well.  

We left our room at a few minutes after 10AM, went out onto the covered front entrance way to watch Green Iquanas come down from the palm trees to eat some wet grass at about while the hotel shuttle pulled out taking people to the cruise port at $15 a head.  The driver on the ride to the hotel had convinced four out of five that he was the best option for the trip to the ship.  One out of five knew better.  The shuttle was $15 per person, and I am not sure which of the 6 ships in port would get first service and which last.  So, I literally, had to tell them each as they were checking in and the shuttle sign up sheet was right there to ignore it.  

At 10:25, I found out Uber had changed it so you can’t (at least I couldn’t find it) get two Ubers on the same account at the same time.  So, as I swapped to Krystal’s phone nope showing current ride.  Crap.  Hi Shelby, do you have Uber on your phone, yes but I don’t think I have ever used it.  So, grab his phone, add a credit card, search for a ride, ride selected.  Our Grey Honda was passing the Taco Bell next to the hotel, and a Red Sentra was right behind it.  Success.  I overpaid for our ride it was 11.92.  Shelby’s was 8.98.  Traffic at the security check point was light and we got thru in about 5 minutes.  We gave our bags to a porter.  Told the man at the door that we were in a suite and had the Key.  That all five of us were together. So in the door, bags thru the scanner, bags out of scanner into the queues immediately a lovely lady was checking in all five of us from my Apple Wallet as each passed their passports forward to her and she took all of our pictures.  In no time at all she said we were cleared to be on the ship.

Walked thru the middle area behind the official check in desks, had a group photo up the escalators where the Key and Suite waiting areas are, they are empty, we follow the herd around all of the seating and followed the herd into a waiting area.  I told Krystal that this was not right.  Since, I was Sherpa, with bag full of surf stuff, cameras Flowboard, heavy backpack with more electronics and medicines and small gym bag with wine a few bottles of water.  She went to the attendant, and he quickly called out to us from about 60 feet away, as I approached he said everyone who knows this lady come on thru. A man stood up and said I am Mike and shook Krystal’s hand.  He said, I know her.  All laughed.

Needless to say, we were shortly on the gangway.  As we entered I asked where was the Key drop off, he looked confused for a second and said deck four.  I have gone to the theatre to dump bags on other ships, so off I went.  Got there a Russian (Slavic) crew person told me it was a muster station in broken English and had no idea where the Key was. So, I figured it was in the MDR on 4.  Which was correct.  Dropped our bags it is only a little past 11.  Way too early for lunch and I didn’t think the FlowRider would open until 1.  So, off to the Flowrider with a lot less stuff, sign the waiver, and the waiver for my board, I then discovered the FlowRider began at noon.  Crap.  Do, I have to do the boogie board, and the sports staff gentleman from Greece even though I obviously know how to ride, as I have my own board.  Yes, we can’t have people going why didn’t he have to do it, and I said, how will they know it happens on two different waves. 

Anyway off to the Key lunch.  It was fine.  Nothing special. 

Then left the group, and went to the bathroom where I changed from street clothes to board shorts and rash guard realized my hats and extra camera stuff was in the main suitcases.  Stood in line for 30 minutes for a 10 second boogie board ride.  Then off to the FlowRider, where there were about 6 people, including Rodney who was on last year’s Allure.  We did a quick man hug and I joined the line.  

More later.

JC

• Like 3

Got in 6 runs, the wave was pretty good, a super skinny young woman, who had some skills, was talking about the water was too deep, and that they were going to drain the wave overnight.  Personally, the water is always about an inch deep, and the more water equal more force, which equals a better wave.  So, shortly I will learn if she has insight, knowledge, or wisdom.  I quit in time to go to the cabin, the gang was all out and for the first time in like 30+ cruises, all my stuff was already in drawers or in the closet.  What a good wife.  I imagine I will pay for that the entire cruise.  😆

We watched sailaway, as one Princess boat moved from across the channel to a solitary pier behind us.  I am guessing they are overnighting?  The other 4 ships sailed out and we were last.  Then i put on pants and went to dinner.  MTD was a bit odd.  We had 6:30 the line was out the door and past the stairs on the port side.  They told 6:45 reservations to get out of the line.  Odd.  This lasted for 5 minutes as we were 5 early.  Then everyone quickly went in.  Our wait staff was not great.  Slow service as we wanted to go to the 8:15 Aqua Theatre, and of course, that show always begins before the official opening.  So, I made Sue mad, when I said, at 7:45… the dessert had better show up in the next minutes or we are skipping so when it showed up about 8 minutes later… I was like eat fast.  I am now on her bad list.  Food was ok to good.

We rushed out, all my ducks in a row, and up the stair 3 flights across the boardwalk, no chairs left for 5 but one of the benches on the starboard far left was open.  We took that.  Show was a lot more dancing than any of these shows I have seen.  Thought it was good,  but missed the trampoline stuff.  They barely used it, and only a single woman doing flips.  ODD.  The diving wasn’t really highlighted it sort of happened behind all of the other stuff.  I enjoyed it.  Thought it was odd.  We went to our cabin, the others I am sure entertained themselves on the ship.  We sat on the balcony sipping Gran Marnier and watching the other ships lights in the distance and the stars.  

9AM Key FlowRider this morning, so I am off in a few to take it on.  Hopefully, there will not be many people there.  Fingers crossed.

jc

• Like 6
  • Haha 1