Royal Carribean - Shame on You, you need the cash obviously

Royal Caribbean, another poor showing

So before the keyboard warriors attack me, please read the facts

We ordered 2 drinks packages for next year, and with the silly website they use, we ended up paying for the packages via our debit card rather than on board credit

By which time we realised our mistake and cancelled the transaction some 2 minutes later, by which time RCCL had taken the authorisation and then 2 days later the physical cash

We had an email stating that the refund will be repaid to us within 14 business days, which has passed and no sign of the money

Speaking to their Guatamala Call Centre, they have advised that the email was incorrect and should state 30 business days

They obvioulsy need the money as it now takes 6 weeks to get my money back

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have canceled items I’ve purchased in the past and it only took 2 or 3 days for the refund. Nineteen days ago I canceled an internet package when I saw a better price during the Black Friday sale. I’m still waiting for my refund. They obviously changed their policy on processing refunds. Very disappointing.

Okay, so I read your facts.

A now here are some statements in response:

1. While RCI and every cruise line needs the money to work down the massive debt they added during the pandemic, this IS NOT one of the ways they aim to make money.
  2. On a daily basis there are easily thousands of refunds/credits that RCI has in queue to process that most likely need at least a basic level of human intervention to review and approve.  I've waited for credits to my credit card from canceled transactions with RCI and they've usually taken about 7 business days.
  3. Check with your bank as to your options, if you have written proof from RCI of your cancellation and notice of how quickly they will refund -- despite what the agent said-- because that email from RCI should prevail.

In the Fall of 2021 I had clients who made their final payment of  >$16,000 on their AMEX card and then three days later receive notice that their cruise was canceled and a refund would be processed in 30 days.  One quick call to American Express explaining this, and a temporary credit (chargeback) was initiated because I merchant (RCI in this case) is not permitted by AMEX terms to take 30 days to process a refund.

Point here is that credit card protections for cardholders typically are greater than debit cards.  It's up to you to decide how you like to pay for transactions, credit or debit.

But again, clearly RCI hasn't singled you out.  It's probably a staffing shortage which DOES NOT excuse them to the terms they agreed to for timely processing of credit/debit card refunds.

Good luck.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rodent Pest Cotrol said:

We ordered 2 drinks packages for next year, and with the silly website they use, we ended up paying for the packages via our debit card rather than on board credit

Please help me understand the correlation between a "silly website", and YOU using the debit card rather than selecting OBC? It's the website's fault? The user of the website has no culpability?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rodent Pest Cotrol said:

I have not had any issues or found the web site for using onboard credit vice my credit card silly in any way.  It clearly shows how much OBC you have and ask you now much of it you want to apply to your purchase.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, LouTheGlue said:

I have canceled items I’ve purchased in the past and it only took 2 or 3 days for the refund. Nineteen days ago I canceled an internet package when I saw a better price during the Black Friday sale. I’m still waiting for my refund. They obviously changed their policy on processing refunds. Very disappointing.

Exact same scenario for me--I saved ~ $70 bucks on that internet package and now they are hanging on to my beuatiful money for way too long.  

It appears that the problem day in Nov 18. All others have processed normally. It was just that first day of the big sale where everything went pear shaped. I have cancelled and received refunds on a couple of items since.  Still waiting on a Nov 18th cancellation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rodent Pest Cotrol said:

By which time we realised our mistake and cancelled the transaction some 2 minutes later, by which time RCCL had taken the authorisation and then 2 days later the physical cash

We had an email stating that the refund will be repaid to us within 14 business days, which has passed and no sign of the money

Speaking to their Guatamala Call Centre, they have advised that the email was incorrect and should state 30 business days

You will more than likely get your money credited back within a week.  30 days is a standard timeframe they give.

9 hours ago, Bluemymind said:

You might want to search on "why not to ever use a debit card" for anything ever, never ever. Your money is not protected by using debit cards where as your credit card will protect you from yourself and others. 

I think ATMs are safe for debit cards and that is the only place I use mine. AS you pointed out credit cards have much more protection.

16 hours ago, Rodent Pest Cotrol said:

Contest it with your card company. F RC!