New Sun Princess (Not My Princess)!?!?!

Jeter02

8 minutes ago, damiross said:

I don't think this deck plan is accurate. 

Where is it off?  Just seems to have less public rooms labeled this far (compared to CruiseMapper website).  BTW, IDK why they have what I presume will be CG labeled as a Sterling Steakhouse (which is the place on much older ships in the fleet and also not a separate room as this one clearly is).  It appears other SD locations are not yet labeled.

• Like 1

Hey! May I come in? For the ones that don't know me here, once it is my first time on the Princess boards, I'm more prevalent on the MSC's boards, once that has been my cruise company of choice for years, with an RCI's presence here and there, once I've also sailed with them.

Threads like this one are very interesting, no doubt. It is surprising for me to see such a premium market line now coming to the mega-ship size segment. By and large, me thinks that the 3,500ish passengers per ship should to be the maximum possible for such a premium vessel out there; or say I'd to tolerate such a 4,000ish one in extreme. So now Princess is in the works to bring it to the 5,000ish?... Good luck Princess and Carnival Group!...

TBHH: Yes; there is a generation being "expelled" right now from the mainstream (RCI, NCL, CCL, MSC) level for the income of a new generation of happy cruisers made out of younger families whom want their trendy family opportunities at see. Nothing against! Companies would need to be profitable enough to continue providing this marvelous service cruising is to an as large as it can be audience out there world wide. But now; there is a generation whose kids are now adults on their own and whom just need some nice and peaceful holiday time on such a fashionable and as affordable as possible way. I'd to be OK with a 4,000ish ship to cope with that demand on a full adults, or at least teens plus adults setting... So now; pushing a premium line Princess has been for decades to the same family oriented loud, overpopulated atmosphere with such a "Princessish" twist on top? Fortunately they're testing it only on 2 ships nowadays.

While I've been mostly "loyal" to MSC and happy enough with the mainstream affordable experience; I'm becoming sort of tired and unhappy with their current offering evolution status, as I'm growing on my late 40's soon early 50's... I'm actively trying to find solutions to replace that experience with something that most resembles what the mainstream experience of the mid 00's was when I started my cruising's "career"... X/Princess happened to be my best bets of today. Surely Virgin is full adult; and that is a plus on their side... But then again: I don't want a disruptive sort of experience on IMHO ugly ships!... X/P would to be the compromising places to go. Then there is the X Edge class (bearable to an extent) and those P behemoths that nobody would have had the idea to build! So; let us to have the older X/P ships as far as we can go on them, plus HAL if it survives! After that I'll perhaps to retire from cruising, or cruise very occasionally on a smaller ship experience line.

Sincerely I wish well to Princess. They seem to have sort of a great product, even though I haven't experienced it first hand, though I seriously doubt it possible to retain same levels at a 5,000ish passengers per sailing vessel. Hope they realize it on time, send these behemoths for P&O or AIDA (which have become UK and German mainstream lately) and let Princess to survive where it shines: A premium adult experience to the global markets.

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/17/2022 at 5:05 PM, memoak said:

This to me is the worst idea ever. They are starting a class by class differentiations. Suite passengers have their own restaurants, bar and sanctuary. Mini suites have their own restaurants. All the unblemished folk are excluded. If I wanted this I would sail Cunard

Or Celebrity

• Like 1

Computer rendering of the Horizons multi-level Dining Room

image.thumb.png.175295529ea4f74f399d0594e4c2efbf.png

Comparing the picture to the deck plans, the picture appears to be from the aft of deck 7.  You can see the curved section where deck 6 is open above deck 7.  Deck 8 appears to be only open to the lower levels at the front of the dining room.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

We recently sailed on Celebrity’s Solstice with a 2 level main dining room & found it to be nosier on the lower level that was open to the upper level and it was more difficult to carry on a conversation.

Every cruise ship we have been on except Princess has had multiple levels to it's main dining room, most often two and sometimes three. I find those to be quieter and a much more enjoyable and spacious feeling than the low ceiling dining rooms on the Grand class Princess ships, which feel a bit closed in. 

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Thanks 1

I noticed on the Princess website, where they show pictures of the cabins, that the beds are going to alternate between by the bathroom and by the balcony.  

I prefer the seating area by the balcony, so we can look out from the sofa.   I don't want the sofa inside.  I prefer the bed inside.     If I book this ship, I'm going to have to research how to know which cabin has which layout.   

I'm hoping that there are food options on Lido when all is finished.   Not to have any will be an issue for us.  We like to eat outside during the day, not down inside the ship.   

22 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Where is it off?  Just seems to have less public rooms labeled this far (compared to CruiseMapper website).  BTW, IDK why they have what I presume will be CG labeled as a Sterling Steakhouse (which is the place on much older ships in the fleet and also not a separate room as this one clearly is).  It appears other SD locations are not yet labeled.

Mainly the location of public rooms are not marked on the deck plan.  For example, deck 9 lists Alfredo's Pizzeria, International Cafe, and The Piazza but they are not shown on the plan.

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I notice the Wakeview Club.   That is an exclusive area, right.  So I am thinking maybe what is showing on that third level is an exclusive dining room.

I do think that there is still a lot to be worked out,  and won't be putting too much concern into these plans, just yet.

Interesting thought- but I get your point with how that’s named. I would be pissed if the aft bar area was exclusive access. That’s on of my favorite hangout spots on other ships. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scottyren said:

Interesting thought- but I get your point with how that’s named. I would be pissed if the aft bar area was exclusive access. That’s on of my favorite hangout spots on other ships. 

I was on the Sky in 2019 and the Wake View Pool was accessible to everyone. That was on the Lido Deck.  According to Cruise Mapper the Wake View Club and Infinity Pool is on Deck 8. It looks like the stairs go to Deck 9 along with other access points. My guess is it is accessible to everyone. The only thing is the Deck Plan doesn't show a bar near the Infinity Pool area. Closest bar is Crooners in the Piazza. The Princess Deck Plans show nothing.

Let's hope it's not exclusive. With multiple access points to this area, it would seem highly unlikely. But then again.  

8 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

I was on the Sky in 2019 and the Wake View Pool was accessible to everyone. That was on the Lido Deck.  According to Cruise Mapper the Wake View Club and Infinity Pool is on Deck 8. It looks like the stairs go to Deck 9 along with other access points. My guess is it is accessible to everyone. The only thing is the Deck Plan doesn't show a bar near the Infinity Pool area. Closest bar is Crooners in the Piazza. The Princess Deck Plans show nothing.

Let's hope it's not exclusive. With multiple access points to this area, it would seem highly unlikely. But then again.  

I have never been on a ship that didn't have food and drink near the pools and I'm sure they will also have them on the Sun.  I think we will see those spots become visable in a little time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

I noticed on the Princess website, where they show pictures of the cabins, that the beds are going to alternate between by the bathroom and by the balcony.  

I prefer the seating area by the balcony, so we can look out from the sofa.   I don't want the sofa inside.  I prefer the bed inside.     If I book this ship, I'm going to have to research how to know which cabin has which layout.   

It appears that there is a notched area in the middle of the cabin (looking at Mini-Suites).  If the notch in the cabin bows outward in the middle, that would be the headboard so the bed is in the middle and the sofa is near the balcony.  If the notch cuts into the cabin, that is where the sofa would be and the bed would be next to the balcony.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 11:05 PM, Steelers36 said:

BTW, IDK why they have what I presume will be CG labeled as a Sterling Steakhouse (which is the place on much older ships in the fleet and also not a separate room as this one clearly is).

The Princess website lists Crown Grill as a Specialty Restaurant.  Not sure why CruiseMapper shows Sterling.  

A couple other observations (assuming that the CruiseMapper diagram is at least close to being accurate.

--Placing the IC next to the Buffet is silly.  On the Royal Class ships, there is quite a bit of overlap between what is served in the IC and what is served in the Pastry Shop up at the buffet.  Why have them next to each other?

--If drawn to scale, the Explorers Lounge on Deck looks to be juuuuust big enough to host a Duplicate Bridge game, and that's about it.  Certainly not big enough to host live entertainment and still have room for people to sit.  And no bar. Likewise, the  oddly shaped "Inclusive Restaurant" on 7 seems very, very small given the number of cabins they have set aside as having special privileges, assuming that this restaurant is intended to be a perk for such cabins.   

5 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

The Princess website lists Crown Grill as a Specialty Restaurant.  Not sure why CruiseMapper shows Sterling.  

A couple other observations (assuming that the CruiseMapper diagram is at least close to being accurate.

--Placing the IC next to the Buffet is silly.  On the Royal Class ships, there is quite a bit of overlap between what is served in the IC and what is served in the Pastry Shop up at the buffet.  Why have them next to each other?

--If drawn to scale, the Explorers Lounge on Deck looks to be juuuuust big enough to host a Duplicate Bridge game, and that's about it.  Certainly not big enough to host live entertainment and still have room for people to sit.  And no bar. Likewise, the  oddly shaped "Inclusive Restaurant" on 7 seems very, very small given the number of cabins they have set aside as having special privileges, assuming that this restaurant is intended to be a perk for such cabins.   

Agree on IC comment.  Agree on Explorer's - saw that size space as well.  Doesn't make sense and first thought was if it was a token throw-in gesture since they would know a lot of guests lamented loss of Explorer's to Princess Live! on the Royal Class ships.  P Live! is a huge space beside, compared to Explorer's.  Maybe that is where they are going to host an Escape Room (you Explore around until find the way out - LOL).

I imagine that funny labeled restaurant is another SD location like Sabi's which is listed as being on the ship.  There is another location for suite dining and high up aft there is the other exclusive restaurant (Deck 17).

On 12/18/2022 at 8:21 PM, memoak said:

Especially if suites and mini suites have their own separate restaurants everyone else in the 3 story restaurant. Just how much of the ship is limited by class ?

And Club- wake view pool- is that open to all?

6 minutes ago, dog said:

I suspect that it might be a space for suite guests since it is now the wake club, and there are 2 elevators that go up to the suites on the upper decks.

22 minutes ago, dog said:

Don't know the answer to that one, but the placement of the Club and the infinity pool is a bit odd if the Dining room has an aft-facing view.  "Sir. Can you check to see if there is a table available toward the aft?  One with a view of the old wrinkly guy in the pool while we dine?"

Found this about Rollglider 

THE ROLLGLIDER

The Rollglider is an aerial roller coaster zip line, inspired by the dream of free flying but in a completely safe environment. The flight is not only enjoyed by thrill-seekers but also by people who crave an unknown experience. Each Rollglider we create is unique with its custom design, with the Extreme version featuring a speed of up to 50km/h.