Odyssey Dec. 11-17

BecciBoo

I am not posting another full Odyssey review, no need, just wanted to post a few comments and a vid.

One of our favorites, this week was phenomenal.  Odyssey is truly one of a kind, at least technologically.  In our opinion one of the best shows we've seen in the last 15 years, The Book is NOT to be missed!  Astounding!  Effectors storyline was  a little too kiddie car for us , but the special effects lasers and drones were phenomenal also.  Show Girls, we loved as well.  Also do not miss booking the full North Star experience, worth the $20pp we paid. Vid follows

Food has definitely improved quality wise.  Best French onion soup in years as well, improved beef on Prime Rib.  Best Pizza we've ever had at sea in Sorrentos and do not hesitate to order your own personal pie, they will do it.  I ordered a Caribbean Dream (pineapple, peppers, onion Pepperoni and chicken)  ready the next day...YUM! Speak to Ivan pronounced EEEvon about this!   Also best Italian food I've had in years at Giovanni's Kitchen!

And the frig in cabin was the coldest we ever experienced, kept our bottle of Pino extra cold.  The only real glitch was the Espresso Machine in Diamond Lounge, Suite lounge wasn't much better.  It never gave a good latte.  Milk was always cold which ruined it and they didn't have the grind strong enough, in spite of constant cleaning.  Big disappointment.  But it's ok, the rest was just brilliant.

We will definitely book her again soon!

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I agree with you.  I thought the food was outstanding.  Surprising how the food can differ so much on the same line.  I thought Odessey had the best buffet food I have ever had on Royal.

So happy to hear this because I will be on the Odyssey January 14 to January 28.

36 minutes ago, gerig said:

So happy to hear this because I will be on the Odyssey January 14 to January 28.

I had sailed on Harmony in July and Allure in September and the Odyssey food was head and shoulders above both of those ships 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I agree with you.  I thought the food was outstanding.  Surprising how the food can differ so much on the same line.  I thought Odessey had the best buffet food I have ever had on Royal.

Good to hear. Will be on Odyssey in 2024 for my first Greek Isles cruise. 

2 hours ago, jamon said:

I thought the North Star was no charge. What is the difference between that and the full north star experience that costs 20 dollars...

The North Star is free when in port and they charge when out at sea. That’s how it was when we went. I like the free time better because you can see more than just the water and the ship. 

We were on Odyssey over Thanksgiving and my wife and I bothe agreed the beef dishes were outstanding.....and believe it or not I thought the cheesburgers in Windjammer were the best tasting beef burgers I have ever had in my 20 + years of cruising.  

12 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

The North Star is free when in port and they charge when out at sea. That’s how it was when we went. I like the free time better because you can see more than just the water and the ship. 

And worth every penny!  As the freebee is up and down only while in port and the paid ride is 360* and whilst the ship is moving through the water!  Fantastic...do it!

OMG I forgot to mention this incident:  While viewing Sailaway in Port Everglades on the glass walkway at Sky Pad, we witnessed a lady drop a glass beer bottle on the glass and it shattered! I kid you not. Looked just like a windshield shattered. They roped the whole walk off for the rest of the cruise. It really wasn't dangerous as Cpt. Sinje told us the walkway is actually 2 separate panes of 2" thick glass and only the top pane shattered.  Snag I can't find the pics....Todd will have to get home but I'll come back and post them.

What was really funny was I had just finished telling a teen not to be scared "You couldn't break this glass with a machine gun..."  I mean I had just finished saying that when we heard and felt the bottle hitting it.  Too funny!  They closed it down and made us all leave.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

BeckyBoo....I am going to assume you are Pinnacle, were you able to get reservations in Coastal Kitchen??? And were you still able to get the 25.00 per person to use at a specialty restaurant???? Also were you able to use the suite lounge?? thanks

On 12/18/2022 at 9:41 PM, ReneeFLL said:

The one advantage to the pay version on a sea day is they hang you out over the side of the ship.  It’s kind of a cool view

0002BBB6-ACDC-4B1D-B4DE-AED528B57AB1.thumb.jpeg.3f7e695bb89afbc2b9820724e49fe353.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

OMG I forgot to mention this incident:  While viewing Sailaway in Port Everglades on the glass walkway at Sky Pad, we witnessed a lady drop a glass beer bottle on the glass and it shattered! I kid you not. Looked just like a windshield shattered. They roped the whole walk off for the rest of the cruise. It really wasn't dangerous as Cpt. Sinje told us the walkway is actually 2 separate panes of 2" thick glass and only the top pane shattered.  Snag I can't find the pics....Todd will have to get home but I'll come back and post them.

What was really funny was I had just finished telling a teen not to be scared "You couldn't break this glass with a machine gun..."  I mean I had just finished saying that when we heard and felt the bottle hitting it.  Too funny!  They closed it down and made us all leave.

We saw the broken glass! I was wondering how that could happen. I took a picture.

20221214_152516.jpg

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

The one advantage to the pay version on a sea day is they hang you out over the side of the ship.  It’s kind of a cool view

0002BBB6-ACDC-4B1D-B4DE-AED528B57AB1.thumb.jpeg.3f7e695bb89afbc2b9820724e49fe353.jpeg

Pay version (called extended experience) also available on port days once the ship is at ocean.

Did both versions.

Free version is ho-hum. It is just like going up a 10 story building (100 ft from top of deck, 300 ft from water line)

Paid version is worth 19 usd IMHO.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sunluva said:

We saw the broken glass! I was wondering how that could happen. I took a picture.

20221214_152516.jpg

OMG - I was a few feet away when it happened. I heard all the commotion and then a woman appeared {a passenger} telling everyone to get off, when I asked why she said that, she responded that her beer bottle dropped and shattered the glass walkway.  

She added since it was it was her fault, she was helping staff to get every one get away, acting so proud she had shattered the glass.  Lovely, for a sail away party where everyone was enjoying the views and excellent weather and thrown off. 

I asked her how she could have possibly brought up a glass bottle since all the pool deck drinks are served in plastic and she admitted she brought it from another deck.

As a result the whole walkway was closed for the entire cruise. 

It's people like this that ruin it for the rest of us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

BTW, the fireboat transfer at Miami buoy.

was that a crew or pax?

who pays for the high cost of almost 20 hours of top speed sailing in case of pax?

Travel insurance will pay for it?

Reports were that a crew member was transported off in Miami due to illness and that a passenger died. 

13 hours ago, sunluva said:

20221214_152516.jpg

Oh Thank you sunlover!!!!!!  You made my day.  The only video we have that made it from that incident is one right before the accident!  Todd was so excited he didn't get the iphone camera working right.  It was a passenger that did this and I asked her if they had told her she must pay for it and she said, "No they haven't but I gladly will".  Those were her words.  What I don't understand is why they went back to glass bottles instead of the cans, at the least there should be warning signs not to bring any glass onto the walkway!  I think RCCL may have learned a good lesson, I know I did.

Edited by BecciBoo

16 hours ago, jamon said:

BeckyBoo....I am going to assume you are Pinnacle, were you able to get reservations in Coastal Kitchen??? And were you still able to get the 25.00 per person to use at a specialty restaurant???? Also were you able to use the suite lounge?? thanks

Gosh no, I'll be dead before we get to Pinnacle!  HAHA!  But I hear from other Pinnacles that were on with us yes to all of the above.

• Haha 1