WONDERing - New to Royal and Cruising with a Baby

I've cruised many times before - mostly on Disney, but one cruise on Norwegian and Carnival each - but am new to Royal. We are going on the 8N cruise on Wonder leaving 1/7.

I did not realize that you needed to book a reservation for MDT (🤦‍♀️) and now, 18 days out, the only times left at 8 pm or later. We will make it work but I would have stuck with "traditional" dining if I had known it was not just eat whenever you want... However, that made me realize that I might not know other things about Royal that I should be aware of before boarding. I am the family "travel concierge" so I do get to make all of the non-major decisions. Everyone else just literally shows up to vacation without even printing the daily itinerary I have carefully prepared and emailed to everyone (the HORROR).

Here's where we are right now:

-Two linked parties: my parents and our fam (me, husband and 1 y/o)

-OV balconies that should hopefully possibly maybe connect

-All shows that we're interested in are booked - everything but Voices. We'll see if my dad/husband/son are interested in any of them 🙂

-Lunch reservations at Giovanni's and Hooked

-Chef's Table for some of the adults

-Drinks package for all the adults but me...I will be 20 weeks pregnant and drinking the ship's supply of ginger ale

-Internet package booked for my dad who has work meetings that he can't cancel

-I've checked us all in. Port arrival time at 12:30, so we are hoping to be able to go straight to our cabins with our mountains of luggage before doing anything else.

- We're bringing our own pack n' play. It was easier with hotel stays before/after and I worry way too much about germs for someone whose kid licks her dogs on a regular basis.

-No excursions booked. I wasn't sure how my son would do - he's never been to the beach - and the most fun options in my opinion prohibit pregnant people.

-For the baby's sake, we are sticking to Mountain time throughout the cruise which is how an 8 pm ET dinner is possible for our group.

-Rented a van to get to/from the port so we can stop by Wal-mart and buy a pile of diapers and sunscreen before boarding.

- Yes, my OB knows I am cruising and has 0 concerns. Same for the kiddo's pediatrician.

There's no laundry on Wonder, right?

How easy is it to book a baby into the Adventure Ocean for under-3s? Kiddo has never been to daycare, but it would be magical to get to go to dinner with only adults.

Are the casitas on Wonder shaded?

Can I bring/borrow on board a bottle warmer? It would make life easier.

Do I request a fridge as soon as we get on board for bottles? Or do I call beforehand?

Is there anything else I should be thinking of/packing/preparing for as a newbie to Royal/mom of a baby/pregnant woman?

Edited by Midwest_Traveler
Added more questions...

11 minutes ago, Midwest_Traveler said:

We will make it work but I would have stuck with "traditional" dining if I had known it was not just eat whenever you want..

You could still go at say 6:30 (likely when MTD starts) in the line without reservations and take your chances.

No laundry on any RCI ship, yet.

37 minutes ago, Midwest_Traveler said:

I've cruised many times before - mostly on Disney, but one cruise on Norwegian and Carnival each - but am new to Royal. We are going on the 8N cruise on Wonder leaving 1/7.

I did not realize that you needed to book a reservation for MDT (🤦‍♀️) and now, 18 days out, the only times left at 8 pm or later. We will make it work but I would have stuck with "traditional" dining if I had known it was not just eat whenever you want... However, that made me realize that I might not know other things about Royal that I should be aware of before boarding. I am the family "travel concierge" so I do get to make all of the non-major decisions. Everyone else just literally shows up to vacation without even printing the daily itinerary I have carefully prepared and emailed to everyone (the HORROR).

-All shows that we're interested in are booked - everything but Voices. We'll see if my dad/husband/son are interested in any of them 🙂

-Drinks package for all the adults but me...I will be 20 weeks pregnant and drinking the ship's supply of ginger ale

-I've checked us all in. Port arrival time at 12:30, so we are hoping to be able to go straight to our cabins with our mountains of luggage before doing anything else.

- We're bringing our own pack n' play. It was easier with hotel stays before/after and I worry way too much about germs for someone whose kid licks her dogs on a regular basis.

-No excursions booked. I wasn't sure how my son would do - he's never been to the beach - and the most fun options in my opinion prohibit pregnant people.

-For the baby's sake, we are sticking to Mountain time throughout the cruise which is how an 8 pm ET dinner is possible for our group.

-Rented a van to get to/from the port so we can stop by Wal-mart and buy a pile of diapers and sunscreen before boarding.

- Yes, my OB knows I am cruising and has 0 concerns. Same for the kiddo's pediatrician.

How easy is it to book a baby into the Adventure Ocean for under-3s? Kiddo has never been to daycare, but it would be magical to get to go to dinner with only adults.

Do I request a fridge as soon as we get on board for bottles? Or do I call beforehand?

Is there anything else I should be thinking of/packing/preparing for as a newbie to Royal/mom of a baby/pregnant woman?

If you look on the RC website, at the deck plans for the Wonder, you will be able to see if you have connecting cabins. (you didn't check when you booked?)

If you mean:  Can the balcony dividers be opened?  The answer is usually "yes".

By the time you check in and get on board, unless there are delays, it will probably be just before or just about 1 P.M.  That is the time that cabins are generally available.

Mountains of luggage?  Aren't you planning on giving most of it to the porters outside?

If you need a bottle warmer, bring your own.

There will be a refrigerator in your cabin.  Reports are that Wonder's are cold, so you should be fine.  (on some ships, they are barely lower than room temperature.)

1 hour ago, Midwest_Traveler said:

Wonder fridges are cold. You won’t need to request one. 

MTD has become a mess. It doesn’t even start until 6:45-7. They seat you when early traditional finish at their table. I would just go when they open and not worry about a reservation. A lot of people that loved MTD are now switching back to Traditional, especially those that like to eat earlier.

PS…Voices was very good, but not for everyone. 😉

Give your large luggage to the porters.  You'll have to keep your carryon bags with you until the cabins are available, which is often around 1:00 - 2:00

Although there are no DIY washing machines, you can send laundry out for it to be washed and folded.

12 hours ago, D4 said:

Give your large luggage to the porters.  You'll have to keep your carryon bags with you until the cabins are available, which is often around 1:00 - 2:00

Although there are no DIY washing machines, you can send laundry out for it to be washed and folded.

Can I request certain washes? We wash in only cold water. Or is it just take what you can get?

We aren't going to use the porters because my son needs to take a nap, so we will need our large luggage and pack n play immediately. We can't really wait until dinner time or later to have all of the baby supplies.

17 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

If you look on the RC website, at the deck plans for the Wonder, you will be able to see if you have connecting cabins. (you didn't check when you booked?)

If you mean:  Can the balcony dividers be opened?  The answer is usually "yes".

If you need a bottle warmer, bring your own.

I'm hesitant about the cabins because Carnival guaranteed that our balcony dividers would open. They did not and were literally rusted shut, so now I feel like I can't trust deck plans for details like that. But we're hoping to have a better overall experience than that cruise anyway 🙂

Are bottle warmers allowed? I haven't been able to find a clear answer online.

On 12/22/2022 at 10:33 AM, allie3490 said:

This doesn't sound like a vacation at all. Can't imagine lugging a pack n play along with "mountains of luggage" on vacation but to each their own I guess. Have fun!

I might exaggerate bit 🙂 Prior to the baby, we were a carry-on only family and now I actually have to check a bag! Oh, and we have the Guava Family pack-n-play, which is worn as a backpack and can be carried on a plane. Huge gamechanger!

Kiddo so far has been to Florida, road tripped across country twice to see family, camped in the Rockies for a weekend amid other multiple weekend trips in the mountains, and done a week-long journey through the Canadian Rockies. Infants do change the travel game, but it's been a lot of fun to get to take trips with him. I am just a touch neurotic and like to be overprepared, especially when I'm not able to easily get to the store to stock up on items.

Edited by Midwest_Traveler
  • Like 5

Two notes:  You mention Oceanview Balconies.  Ocean View cabins do not have balconies.  They just have ocean view.  Make sure you are getting the type of cabin you want.

Just make sure the time zone you are using works with the ship's time so if you go ashore you will all agree when to be back on board.

On 12/22/2022 at 12:28 PM, Midwest_Traveler said:

Can I request certain washes? We wash in only cold water. Or is it just take what you can get?

We aren't going to use the porters because my son needs to take a nap, so we will need our large luggage and pack n play immediately. We can't really wait until dinner time or later to have all of the baby supplies.

If your large luggage doesn’t fit through the scanner then you will have to check it…

Laundry is all washed the same…..hot water and hot drying.  You cannot request anything special….

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 11:28 AM, Midwest_Traveler said:

They wash in hot water.  You cannot specify cold water or special handling.

They might allow you to bring the pack n play with you, but all the luggage you don't give to the porters must fit through the scanners.   You should put all the baby supplies you need right away in carryon size luggage.  

I did not realize that you needed to book a reservation for MDT

Yeah, I have literally made dinner reservations more than a year in advance.  By now, "the good stuff" for early January is long gone.  

Our experience:  they have two lines for MTD:  a long line of waiting people who did not make reservations, and a short line for people who have reservations -- they aren't specially fussy about you showing up 15 minutes early or late, but they do care that you have reservations.  Your MTD reservations don't have to be the same time every day, and you can always change them once you're onboard.  

I see several options for you: 

- Honestly, with a 1-year old, I'd suggest you make this a Windjammer-dinner cruise.  It's not my favorite option for dinner, but it will be less crowded and just plain easier with a one-year old.  It will also make packing easier.   

- Trade off with your parents.  That is, tonight you take the baby to dinner in the Windjammer, while they go have an adult meal in the MDR, then tomorrow night it's your turn to go kid-free.  

- Shorten your dinner by asking for your dessert "to go".  The wait staff will pack your dessert up nicely, and you can go back to your balcony or up to the pool deck to eat it in a more relaxed atmosphere -- and the baby, who will be tired of sitting still at the table, can be on the floor playing.  Royal has these little "table set ups", just right for 6-8 people, and they'd be an ideal place for the baby to play while the adults have dessert.  If anyone wants coffee, the Windjammer buffet is only steps away.  

- Put the baby into Ocean Adventure care while you and the family go to dinner.  This costs ... $7-8 per hour?  

I am the grandmother of a 14-month old, and I would embrace any option to make the trip easier with him /for him, understanding that we'll have other cruises in which he will be a well-mannered little boy who will be a joy at the dinner table -- but right now he's still throwing his sippee cup on the floor and rubbing food in his hair.  He can only be what he is:  14-months old.  

Expanding on this thought:  What does your one-year old eat at home?  You might want to bring along some of his favorites -- just so he doesn't have to wait.  You probably think shrimp cocktail is a treat, but your child undoubtably prefers CheezIts.  

Are you taking along SEVERAL of the sippee cups your child uses at home?  Are you taking a bit of dip soap so you can wash these in your room?  Do you have several "quiet games" for him at the table?  Maybe an I Spy bag?  A tiny puzzle appropriate for his age?  An ice cube on the high chair tray will entertain a one-year old longer than you'd imagine.

Lunch reservations at Giovanni's and Hooked ... Chef's Table for some of the adults ... Drinks package for all the adults but me

Sounds like food and meals are a big priority for your family, but you must-must-must adjust your expectations to what the one-year old can do.  

Note that if you put him into Ocean Adventure, you must go the first day to "register him"; they don't have unlimited space.  Then you can drop him off whenever you want -- put the grandparents' names on his account so they can drop off /pick up as well.  I remember when my kids were small -- and I see it in my daughter now -- I'd have killed for those kids, but sometimes I'd also have killed for an hour without them.  

I've checked us all in. Port arrival time at 12:30, so we are hoping to be able to go straight to our cabins with our mountains of luggage before doing anything else.

I suspect you're being hyperbolic, but your life will be easier in multiple ways if you don't bring "mountains of luggage".  Talk to your parents and decide what you're doing about dinner -- before you pack.  If you decide you're Windjammer-bound, you won't need to pack as many clothes.  

However, I'd pack heavy-heavy for the toddler /would not count on anything being washed.  I'd bring 3 outfits for the baby each day -- they don't take up much space anyway.  And, of course, you want to be sure you won't run out of diapers, diaper cream and so forth; as an experienced cruiser, you know these things are expensive onboard.  

We're bringing our own pack n' play. It was easier with hotel stays before/after and I worry way too much about germs for someone whose kid licks her dogs on a regular basis.

I'd consider bringing cleaning items (which would fit into a sandwich-sized ziplock) rather than the whole PnP.  

No excursions booked. I wasn't sure how my son would do - he's never been to the beach - and the most fun options in my opinion prohibit pregnant people.

We were at Coco Cay two weeks ago, and a family with a one-year old set up next to us.  Their son had an absolute blast playing in the sand -- for about two hours, and then he was done.  They said it was his first beach trip.  If you decide to go to the beach, bring along some sand toys -- if you're being very practical, some empty yogurt cups and plastic spoons will do, and then you can throw them away before you come home.  

When my kids were small, the pool was always their favorite part of vacation.  You know that a non-potty trained baby can't get into the pool, right?  But your ship will have a fantastic splash zone for your baby.  Do you have water shoes packed?  Those he's a competent walker now, I'd like my little fellow to have "good grip" on the floor.  

For the baby's sake, we are sticking to Mountain time throughout the cruise which is how an 8 pm ET dinner is possible for our group.

That may be difficult, but it's a good idea. 

Rented a van to get to/from the port so we can stop by Wal-mart and buy a pile of diapers and sunscreen before boarding.

Consider ordering ahead of time so your needs will be waiting for you /no wasted time shopping on vacation.  If you only need a pick-up stop, an Uber would be cheaper than renting a van.  

Um, since the sun moves, any given casita will be in sun part of the day /in shade part of the day.  

Does your one-year old drink cow's milk?  If so, you'll find small cartons (yes to whole milk) in the Windjammer at breakfast -- but not later in the day.  You can bring as many as you want back to your room.  Plan to take only what you need for each day, as you won't have unlimited space in your small fridge.  If your fridge isn't cool enough, ask your cabin steward for an ice bucket /ice and put that INSIDE the refrigerator; that'll keep your milk safe.  

Since your child is already a year old, this might be a good time to transition from warm bottles to chilled milk in a sippy cup.  Insert much talk about how "this is how big boys drink their milk".  When the new baby arrives, you'll be happy not to warm bottles for a toddler anyway.  

You mention Oceanview Balconies.  Ocean View cabins do not have balconies.

What you say is true on Royal's older ships.  But on the newest-of-the-new ships, Royal offers Central-Park balconies, Boardwalk balconies, and Oceanview balconies.  

OP, assuming you and your parents get next-door balconies, ask your cabin steward to have the balcony divider opened, giving you one big balcony.  When we've done this, we've left our sliding glass doors unlocked so we could go between cabins without going out into the hallway. This is some trouble for your cabin steward, as he must go get a key from his supervisor (and he will have to un-do it after you're gone), so you should tip him extra for this extra service.  

We aren't going to use the porters because my son needs to take a nap, so we will need our large luggage and pack n play immediately. We can't really wait until dinner time or later to have all of the baby supplies.

This sounds unrealistic.  I suggest you pack just what you need for the baby in a carry-on and let the rest go through with the porters. 

Will your son really take a nap immediately after being brought onboard this huge, fantastic new place?  My grandson would not, but he would crash hard several hours later.  

Other thoughts: 

- You're bringing an umbrella stroller, right?

- Bring a small bag of some sort that'll carry just one diaper and some wipes -- you don't want to carry your whole set-up around the ship.  

- Pick up a pack of disposable bibs and disposable placemats.  

- Do you plan to use taxis or other transportation in port?  Research and find out what kind of car seats are available.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Two notes:  You mention Oceanview Balconies.  Ocean View cabins do not have balconies.  They just have ocean view.  Make sure you are getting the type of cabin you want.

Incorrect. On Oasis class ships there are ocean view balconies. There are also Central Park view balconies and Boardwalk view balconies. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 12:56 PM, Midwest_Traveler said:

You need to go to Ocean Adventure as soon as you embark and register. The OA Babies is by reservation and it will depend on how many young cruisers are onboard. 

Post #77 and #78 on the link below has a picture of the OA facility for young cruisers. The rest of the link has some info from earlier this year. 

We brought a PNP on board thru security.  No big deal, just a pain to carry.  It otherwise might be hours before you get one and they are not always in the best condition.  

Bring everything you need for baby including kids meds like Tylenol and ibuprofen.  The ship doesn’t carry it.  We had to buy some in Mexico which I don’t recommend.  You can check a box of diapers and other supplies with the porters if needed unless it’s raining.  Slap a luggage tag on your well taped shut box.  

Relax once on board and go with the flow of your little one.  I see too many littles being out past their bedtime, falling apart and making life miserable for their parents and those around them.  

• Like 2

On 12/22/2022 at 11:28 AM, Midwest_Traveler said:

You can only carryon luggage that will fit through the luggage scanner.  About the same as at the airport. 

6 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Shorten your dinner by asking for your dessert "to go".  The wait staff will pack your dessert up nicely, and you can go back to your balcony or up to the pool deck to eat it in a more relaxed atmosphere -- and the baby, who will be tired of sitting still at the table, can be on the floor playing.  

What a great idea, not! They make perfect tripping hazards possibly injuring the child and someone else. How about instead of this just go somewhere else to eat where it will be faster?

Edited by ReneeFLL

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No. 

depending on the terminal at a port, it will be an airport scanner. 

The scanners at cruise terminals have nothing in common with those in an airport used by TSA. Those at ports accept suitcases just fine. Done all the time.

Ever see cruise musician and other employees check in? All their cases go through the scanner

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

What a great idea, not! They make perfect tripping hazards possibly injuring the child and someone else. How about instead of this just go somewhere else to eat where it will be faster?

Um, my suggestion was that they take dessert "to go" and enjoy it on their balcony or out by the pool deck.  I mentioned that the pool deck has small table areas, which area always empty in the evenings, and they'd be a perfect place to go enjoy your dinner /get the baby away from the table.  You even copied that part of my comment.  

I think you thought I was suggesting the baby play on the dining room floor?  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

14 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

The scanners at cruise terminals have nothing in common with those in an airport used by TSA.

As mentioned by @BirdTravels, for hand luggage screening many cruise terminals use the same/similar equipment as airports. The Smiths Detection 6040 is probably the most common but there are other models as well - they all usually have a limit of 24"x 16" for the tunnel opening.

For checked luggage that is somewhat different, but the above probably applies to many/most cruise terminals.

Edited by Biker19