Prices!

jeanlyon

19 hours ago, Fionboard said:

My 14 nights last month select balcony on Iona was £1000 with £375 obc. Desperate to fill the big ones. As you say, Jeanlyon,  smaller ships sell out.  

My 14 nights select balcony on Iona last month was £3574! Just a bog standard balcony. Can't remember the obc. Think about £650 which included blc and the extra £150 they were offering at that time

We were on brilliance of the seas a small royal ship in Aug around italy amd greece. I had a good chat with the hotel manager when i was sorting out some bits for my mum. He stated that the older smaller ships have to be very full to break even where as the larger modern ships, like oasis or quantum class need to be around 50-60% full. 

The larger ship are aimed at the children demographics however in the non school holiday seasons they get plenty of non children adults. Now our dau is in the important years of schooling we now only sail in school holidays which tbh is a rip off. 

IMO, there will always be a market for big and small ships for all ages and the cruise companies will always offer big discounts to fill some sailings. 

• Like 1

Firstly,  let's not compare any cruise ship with Premier inn,  but with holiday or resort hotels.

In both you will get bargins if you look at quiet times , although last few years UK "staycations" have been rip off. But in 2023 sure there will be bargins around  on land and sea out of peak season . Especially for those that cater for families,  who are more likely to be struggling with cost of living and mortgages. So bargins in big hotels and big ships

Pound for pound,  land holidays will offer bigger rooms than ships. Whether they offer better service will vary. So an inside guarantee cabin will offer better service than a similarly priced 3 star all inclusive med holiday. But on the same ship a bigger cabin doesn't equate to better service, so for a select balcony cabin , looking at a much better hotel with perhaps better service than P&O.  Once you get to suite prices hotels offer more space and service

However hotels don't take you to a new place every night.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Firstly,  let's not compare any cruise ship with Premier inn,  but with holiday or resort hotels.

In both you will get bargins if you look at quiet times , although last few years UK "staycations" have been rip off. But in 2023 sure there will be bargins around  on land and sea out of peak season . Especially for those that cater for families,  who are more likely to be struggling with cost of living and mortgages. So bargins in big hotels and big ships

Pound for pound,  land holidays will offer bigger rooms than ships. Whether they offer better service will vary. So an inside guarantee cabin will offer better service than a similarly priced 3 star all inclusive med holiday. But on the same ship a bigger cabin doesn't equate to better service, so for a select balcony cabin , looking at a much better hotel with perhaps better service than P&O.  Once you get to suite prices hotels offer more space and service

However hotels don't take you to a new place every night.

I guess like most folk we like to mix things up. Overseas A Inc hotels ( min 4*), cruises, weekends away ( UK and overseas) UK hotels, caravans/lodges. Premier Inns and other chains. We don't  compare them as they are all different. We are all different. We enjoy them all.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

We were on brilliance of the seas a small royal ship in Aug around italy amd greece. I had a good chat with the hotel manager when i was sorting out some bits for my mum. He stated that the older smaller ships have to be very full to break even where as the larger modern ships, like oasis or quantum class need to be around 50-60% full. 

The larger ship are aimed at the children demographics however in the non school holiday seasons they get plenty of non children adults. Now our dau is in the important years of schooling we now only sail in school holidays which tbh is a rip off. 

IMO, there will always be a market for big and small ships for all ages and the cruise companies will always offer big discounts to fill some sailings. 

Brilliance of the seas is 90090 tons and can hold 2112 passengers.

55 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Oh it was small, compared to the larger ships of 4k+ guests. Any smaller then that is a rowing boat. Lol.

On a cheeky note way to young and common to go on saga tbh. 😜

Same here. We are only 73/67......... when we grow up........maybe..🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Saw some very good deals advertised in paper January  fly cruise  7 days balcony on Azura plus 3 hotel nights Tenerife  under £1000, up to £1100 in March. 

By the way , Saga cruisers aren't all on Zimmers. 20 passengers  (out of 500 passengers) entered 10k charity race for Ukraine on our Black sea replacement cruise.  Doubt if you'd get same % ie 200 out of 5000 on Iona. Hotel general Manager (not included in 20) won and was only one to break hour. But quite a few passengers were well under 1.30hr. None were spring chickens, only one under 70. I was second youngest, and second passenger.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

Just food for thought for those that cruise with Princess and have been critical of price of P&Os drinks package. This morning received a Princess brochure for 2024 and the price of Princess Plus has now gone up to £50pppd. There are some extra benefits but personally think that is a bit expensive even when taking gratuities into account at a price of £1400 for a couple on 14 nt cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Just food for thought for those that cruise with Princess and have been critical of price of P&Os drinks package. This morning received a Princess brochure for 2024 and the price of Princess Plus has now gone up to £50pppd. There are some extra benefits but personally think that is a bit expensive even when taking gratuities into account at a price of £1400 for a couple on 14 nt cruise.

The increase took place in the middle of December.

Don't forget the £50 pppd incudes the autogratuitues of around £14 pppd, and unlimited wifi. 

The choice of drinks available in the package is far superior to P&O.

Compared to the P&O drinks package, the Princess package is far better value for money.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 2

On 12/27/2022 at 11:22 AM, Solent Richard said:

Well here's my room on Arcadia @wowzz, lets see your comparative Premier Inn room 😁...

131843130_CabinC361.jpg.10fa9695ece3426fb546281c852bb0a2.jpg

257843499_CabinC362Balcony.jpg.4d6f1a780df3dcb934f6add93f71d642.jpg

...lets see your comparative Premier Inn room 😁...

??

We've stayed in both and can honestly say, there is absolutely no comparison whatsoever. Arcadia evey time.

Avril

• Like 2

On 12/27/2022 at 11:22 AM, Solent Richard said:

Well here's my room on Arcadia @wowzz, lets see your comparative Premier Inn room 😁...

131843130_CabinC361.jpg.10fa9695ece3426fb546281c852bb0a2.jpg

257843499_CabinC362Balcony.jpg.4d6f1a780df3dcb934f6add93f71d642.jpg

...lets see your comparative Premier Inn room 😁...

??

I have this one too, currently, and it is larger, more comfortable and with better storage than Iona.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Saw some very good deals advertised in paper January  fly cruise  7 days balcony on Azura plus 3 hotel nights Tenerife  under £1000, up to £1100 in March. 

By the way , Saga cruisers aren't all on Zimmers. 20 passengers  (out of 500 passengers) entered 10k charity race for Ukraine on our Black sea replacement cruise.  Doubt if you'd get same % ie 200 out of 5000 on Iona. Hotel general Manager (not included in 20) won and was only one to break hour. But quite a few passengers were well under 1.30hr. None were spring chickens, only one under 70. I was second youngest, and second passenger.

Hip, hip hooray for the oldies.🤣

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Yes this appears to be the way things are going.

£1400 for two for 14 nts that will get them through the doors, then when at the counter £50 pppn very reasonable for a cruise sir. You just need our Princess Plus package I am sure that you will agree that it's very reasonable at £50 pppn, what the price has doubled! don't look at it like that sir, May I interest you in speciality restaurants and shore excursions sir?

16 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Yes this appears to be the way things are going.

£1400 for two for 14 nts that will get them through the doors, then when at the counter £50 pppn very reasonable for a cruise sir. You just need our Princess Plus package I am sure that you will agree that it's very reasonable at £50 pppn, what the price has doubled! don't look at it like that sir, May I interest you in speciality restaurants and shore excursions sir?

To be fair, the various costs are clearly shown during the booking process - standard, Princess Plus,  and Princess Premium.

Given that a glass of wine costs £12 on Princess, if you like a drink, buying the Princess Plus package is a no brainer !

• Like 2

We are not excessive drinkers, on holiday we do like a glass of wine with our meals and a couple of drinks each in the evening and we prefer the speciality coffees during the day to the sludge that is free in the buffet.  We take the Princess Plus package because when we take into consideration the cost of the drinks, tips and bottles of water we think that the package is reasonable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I don't do insides full stop.😁

2 hours ago, Camberley said:

Same. Just never at all for us. 

I  have no choice, made the mistake of booking a suite on first cruise so that's what expected. I obey!

But that doesn't stop insides being fantastic value for money. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1