Guests Denied Boarding Due to Passport Requirements at Port Everglades

ATL_Miami_Cruiser

1 minute ago, sloopsailor said:

If people don't travel internationally, why would they need a passport? My mother was 71 before she got her passport. And that was because my wife and I wanted to take her to our favorite European cities for her first overseas trip ever. Until then she was perfectly satisfied with visiting federal and state parks, and famous cities and sites here in the states. For her it WAS because this country is so large and has so much to offer without ever having to leave it's borders. And I was in my late 30s before I got one for the same reason. 

Note, I have since taken a different route than my mother and my wife and I have travelled extensively since the mid 80s. We absolutely recognize the value of an up-to-date passport. But many people have different priorities. I don't think less of them if they don't get a passport, unlike some people on this thread do. 

Respect your opinion but don’t agree the large majority of US citizens don’t get a passport because it’s the size of our country. 

BTW, For clarification I’m a US born and raised citizen. I know lots of friends that don’t have passports. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AZjohn said:

Respect your opinion but don’t agree the large majority of US citizens don’t get a passport because it’s the size of our country. 

BTW, For clarification I’m a US born and raised citizen. I know lots of friends that don’t have passports. 

Why do you think they don't get a passport? 

• Like 1

There is something really wrong with this news report on CBS.  
1.  They talked to 2 groups of passengers equaling less than 12.  
2.  They showed a photo of the Grand Princess that never is ported in FLL.

3.  Reported “read” a statement from Princess, that just doesn’t seem right (I’m not saying they were incorrect, just not sure Princess officially provided such a statement.)

4.  One passenger said that she asked for policy (no need for a passport) in writing, but was denied anything….it’s in writing that some ports requiring a passport.

5.  One “seasoned” passenger did not know that they had to have a passport.

I see that most posters agree (after 4 pages) that a passport is required for this 10 day itinerary.

BBC2A482-9587-4CDA-92AC-B8F4157F0798.jpeg

@cr8tiv1agree with your points. 

Regarding the photos,  the station probably just searched for pics of Princess ships.

This is what I see in the video in post #72.  Opening shot: 

The Grand docked in Oakland/Alameda on March 10, 2020.  They had to dig to find that clip.  Probably didn’t realize what they were uploading into their story.  Anyone else see that?   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

There is something really wrong with this news report on CBS.  
1.  They talked to 2 groups of passengers equaling less than 12.  
2.  They showed a photo of the Grand Princess that never is ported in FLL.

3.  Reported “read” a statement from Princess, that just doesn’t seem right (I’m not saying they were incorrect, just not sure Princess officially provided such a statement.)

4.  One passenger said that she asked for policy (no need for a passport) in writing, but was denied anything….it’s in writing that some ports requiring a passport.

5.  One “seasoned” passenger did not know that they had to have a passport.

I see that most posters agree (after 4 pages) that a passport is required for this 10 day itinerary.

BBC2A482-9587-4CDA-92AC-B8F4157F0798.jpeg

Thats the Grand in Oakland lockdown. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Aloha. This passport discussion has been on various forums for over a decade.  We have been traveling for decades and always with a passport. That said many people with a lot of children find the cost excessive and as a result fail to get them. That they may have been the  political reason to carve out the closed loop exception. That said, some countries don’t acknowledge the exception and therein lies the problem. Thus, the buyer beware or traveler beware situation exists. Perhaps the government should  charge regular fees for adults but a substantially reduced fee for minors if applied for at the same time. But that may be wishful thinking.  Im sure if the state department pressed these countries and or the cruise lines they may reconsider their passport requirements but that too is wishful thinking.  I feel bad for these travelers but everyone must be aware of rules and regulations also.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And some basically do not travel, even within the USA.

My best friend is leaving the country for the first time this next year. Not everyone can travel or has had the opportunity to travel frequently.

• Like 2

When we did an Alaska cruise from Seatle on Princess, I remember reading on Princess that if we took a certain excursion that included a train trip that crossed the Canadian border we needed a passport. (And we did take that excursion and had to show our passports.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Having read all the post here and watched the "news" report video, my two cents:

First, the reporter obviously is taking acting lessons based on her facial expressions and posture.  My advice to her, don't give up your day job. 

Next, I feel for those who were turned away and the disappointment they must be going through.  That said, why take the verbal word of a random call center employee, as the official position of the company?   One only needs to read the information published about their cruise, to get the information needed.  I do agree that the call center employees should be well versed in procedures, requirements etc. and know how to research the company website to retrieve the correct information, however, the Princess website, like other cruise lines websites, have the official information, in writing, easily printed out for reference.  

I would hope that Princess can follow up and determine if in fact call center employees gave out erroneous information, and if that is found to be the case (I believe that calls are recorded), provide sometime of compensation to these passengers.

• Thanks 1

The people in the news story may have been given the correct answer.  They may have been asking the wrong question.  "If I'm going on a Caribbean cruise, do I need to have a passport?"

I seriously doubt they asked if they would need a passport for a cruise stopping in South America and Panama.  They probably called the 800 number and got somebody who was thinking they were asking a general question prior to actually making a booking.  Yes, you can take any number of Caribbean cruises without needing a passport.

This reminds me of the concept that I know all of the answers, it's just up to you to ask me the right questions...  🤷‍♂️😄 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

If people don't travel internationally, why would they need a passport? My mother was 71 before she got her passport. And that was because my wife and I wanted to take her to our favorite European cities for her first overseas trip ever. Until then she was perfectly satisfied with visiting federal and state parks, and famous cities and sites here in the states. For her it WAS because this country is so large and has so much to offer without ever having to leave it's borders. And I was in my late 30s before I got one for the same reason. 

Note, I have since taken a different route than my mother and my wife and I have travelled extensively since the mid 80s, visiting 43 countries during our 39 years (and counting) of marriage. We absolutely recognize the value of an up-to-date passport.

But many people have different priorities. I don't think less of them if they don't see the value of getting a passport, unlike some people on this thread. 

I am not so sure the main issue here has been why doesn't everyone have/get a passport?  Sure, if you're not planning to travel outside the US, why bother? 

I think the point is any planned travel outside the US, folks ought to have a passport, damn the exception, as you never know what might happen and need to travel by other means mid-voyage.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I'm going to guess this statement didn't come from an employee authorized to speak to the media.

My first thought when I heard that statement was that the reporter didn't go through Princess' Media Relations Department.  The reporter probably just called the generic 800 number and requested a callback.  If the reporter didn't identify herself as a member of the press, then she probably just got a callback from any telephone representative. The information given to the reporter was correct.  It has always been stressed that it is the responsibility of the traveler to know what travel documents are required.

This is just another case of the media piling on and making more out of something than it is.

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I think the point is any planned travel outside the US, folks ought to have a passport, damn the exception, as you never know what might happen and need to travel by other means mid-voyage.

According to the US state Department's Cruise Ship Travel Tips, "Always bring your passport in case of an emergency, even if your cruise says you won’t need it"

Here is that list:  Cruise Ship Rack Card_2018.pdf (state.gov)

• Like 7

What happens if you have a medical emergency and have to be disembarked to a country requiring a passport and then have to travel home from that country. Can’t understand anyone leaving their home country without one. My (now adult) kids had passports from the age of 9 weeks. (Photo looked a bit different at age 5years) and the both have passports of 2 countries as the are dual citizens  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, boone2 said:

What happens if you have a medical emergency and have to be disembarked to a country requiring a passport and then have to travel home from that country. Can’t understand anyone leaving their home country without one. My (now adult) kids had passports from the age of 9 weeks. (Photo looked a bit different at age 5years) and the both have passports of 2 countries as the are dual citizens  

If you're returning to the U.S. by air, a passport is required by the United States.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, boone2 said:

It seems that everyone uses the example of a medical situation that would require them to disembark the ship but I always worry more about an emergency at home that would require me to leave the ship and rush back. I would hate not to be able to get home quickly, especially if something were to happen to a family member.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I am not so sure the main issue here has been why doesn't everyone have/get a passport?  Sure, if you're not planning to travel outside the US, why bother? 

I agree fully with your comment. I was pointing out the reasons many Americans don't get a passport. Several people on this thread seemed to look down on people who don't have a passport as if it is a flaw in their character. If they don't need one, they don't have to get one. It has nothing to do with "stubborn Americans" not wanting to spend the money. Why spend money if they don't have too??

If going out of the country, then yes, if they refuse to get a passport because of a loophole in the requirements, then THOSE people are indeed stubborn - and careless. That we can agree on. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

When we did an Alaska cruise from Seatle on Princess, I remember reading on Princess that if we took a certain excursion that included a train trip that crossed the Canadian border we needed a passport. (And we did take that excursion and had to show our passports.)

Yep. Going into the Yukon at Skagway.

• Like 1

Here is my guess as to what happened:

It's established that the woman who is out $8,500 is an experienced cruiser.  She booked the cruise, and was aware (because she was notified by all the traditional methods) that a passport was required.  She discovered late in the process that her passport was expired.  She called Princess to see if there was any way of getting around the requirement.  The CSR told her she didn't need a passport (quite possibly due to incorrect or incomplete information from the passenger), and the passenger ran with that, despite having all official information from Princess saying something else.

It's either that or the passenger is flat out lying about customer service telling them they didn't need a passport.

I have a family member who spent 25 years as a Taxpayer Service Rep for the IRS. She always recommended that taxpayers get their answer in writing from the TSR they spoke with.   If you are audited, the IRS does not consider "the lady on the phone told me..." as a valid excuse for completing your tax return incorrectly.  The same principle should apply to any important interaction you have with a company, especially when there is a lot of money at stake.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Same. Lots of people we know don't have them. Are they irresponsible? No. They just never travel outside the US.

• Like 3