Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

2 minutes ago, Getcruisingagain said:

Hi Tablelamp. You may remember the post I put on earlier this month as follows:

"Don't let the views of a few people (out of the thousands that cruise) prevent you from looking forward to and enjoying your cruise. We all have different views and there are thousands who have enjoyed their cruises. We were on Ventura in November, yes some things have changed, yes there have been some cut backs but this is no different to land based holidays. Did we still enjoy our cruise, yes absolutely, we went with an open mind and didn't allow ourselves to be influenced by any reviews we read. We are looking forward to our next cruise in March and the other cruises we have booked, all with P&O."

I would also add that we had no problem with our wine arriving on time.

Please relax and start looking forward to your holiday. It may also help if you stop reading reviews, on this and other review sites, as this will not help you and are only a small representative of those who cruise. Like I said, go with an open mind, many thousands of people have enjoyed their cruise and had a positive experience.

That is the best and most useful post I have seen here or on any other thread for a long time!  I totally concur with you. Very well said.

• Like 5

We’re on board Iona just now. We have been able to book for all the restaurants although we tend to eat early so I don’t know what the availability for later meals is.

it has been confusing as before boarding the website said we could book the olive grove/ but we can’t it’s only bookable via the virtual queue. 

we didn’t really want to book much in advance as we have a shed load of OBC to use so I was worried that there might be no availability- but we have been able to book all that we wanted 

Service has been fine, not rushed and not too slow either

We are very happy with our first cruise since Jan 2020!!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, scarlet ohara said:

We’re on board Iona just now. We have been able to book for all the restaurants although we tend to eat early so I don’t know what the availability for later meals is.

it has been confusing as before boarding the website said we could book the olive grove/ but we can’t it’s only bookable via the virtual queue. 

we didn’t really want to book much in advance as we have a shed load of OBC to use so I was worried that there might be no availability- but we have been able to book all that we wanted 

Service has been fine, not rushed and not too slow either

We are very happy with our first cruise since Jan 2020!!

Interesting. I booked two nights in the Olive Grove last Saturday and have the confirmatory emails and received another email today entitled 'time to personalise your holiday'. I quote Speciality restaurants, excluding the Limelight Club, are not currently bookable before your holiday. 

Maybe we have the making of more chaos. I for one would not be pleased if they did not honour the bookings

On 1/14/2023 at 1:17 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

The choices of cheeses pre-pandemic were gradually becoming less.  Not surprised by the move to pre-plated.  On our last Iona cruise although the selection was not particularly inspiring (for me), the cheeses provided were nonetheless enjoyable.  However, I would prefer to choose my selection. 

On our first P&O cruise several years ago hubbies cheese and biscuits were all still in there wee pre packed cellophane wrappers!!! Just like the small individual ones you but in a supermarket. Up until that cruise we had only cruised celebrity and RCI who gave hubby a choice of cheeses and biscuits.

6 hours ago, davecttr said:

Interesting. I booked two nights in the Olive Grove last Saturday and have the confirmatory emails and received another email today entitled 'time to personalise your holiday'. I quote Speciality restaurants, excluding the Limelight Club, are not currently bookable before your holiday. 

Maybe we have the making of more chaos. I for one would not be pleased if they did not honour the bookings

Things can change I was unhappy when they cancelled my hospital appointment but like I say things can change.

Hi we have never cruised P&O before so forgive me if this questions is asked all the time.

Can the App used to book dining be downloaded before we cruise?

Its 60 days before we are due to cruise on the Arvia, when do the restaurants and Entertainment usually come available to book please?

Thanx in advance

I don't think so .I first used it 2 years ago on Iona and downloaded so called app onto my Samsung pad .After the cruise it remained on my pad until the following year where I was able to use the app again logging in with the last 6 digits of cruise card and there it remains till next cruise this year 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mandymac said:

Hi we have never cruised P&O before so forgive me if this questions is asked all the time.

Can the App used to book dining be downloaded before we cruise?

Its 60 days before we are due to cruise on the Arvia, when do the restaurants and Entertainment usually come available to book please?

Thanx in advance

It is not actually an App but web page on the ships intranet and does not work until on board ship. You can book restaurants and entertainment about two weeks before on your Cruise Personaliser on P&O website. 
https://www.pocruises.com/my-holiday?otprrf=https_boards.cruisecritic.co.uk

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Once you have the details of how to access the 'app' you could try accessing in the cruise terminal once you have your cruise card. This may allow you to book a pay restaurant before the rush

You don’t get your cruise card until the cabin. However the last numbers are the same as on your boarding pass.  These are what you need to access the App. You can book certain restaurants (especially high end) on Cruise Personaliser two weeks in advance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

You don’t get your cruise card until the cabin. However the last numbers are the same as on your boarding pass.  These are what you need to access the App. You can book certain restaurants (especially high end) on Cruise Personaliser two weeks in advance. 

I received an email a few days ago suspending the booking of restaurants except the Limelight Club on Iona's 11 february cruise. I wonder if this means they are fully booked.

I should already have the 'app' on my smart phone but can't find it

Hi all.

I'm returning to cruising after a break of several years.

My group is 21 people, a mixture of adults and children. We have all confirmed fixed dining at 6.30 pm.

Is there any way to contact P&O shortly before departure to try to obtain one table, or perhaps more likely two next to each other, for dining? Or will I just have to make my first job on board a trip to see the Maitre-d'?

Many thanks.

We were a party of 11 on Azura last summer.  First night I asked manager for a large table.  They had one for ten which suited as we had 2 children and managed 11 places.  He kept it for us every night.  Tables generally don’t move for safely reasons.  I suspect you may need two tables which may not be adjacent.

11 hours ago, PurpleMoonlight said:

Hi all.

My group is 21 people, a mixture of adults and children. We have all confirmed fixed dining at 6.30 pm.

Is there any way to contact P&O shortly before departure to try to obtain one table, or perhaps more likely two next to each other, for dining? Or will I just have to make my first job on board a trip to see the Maitre-d'?

Many thanks.

When? Which ship?

15 hours ago, PurpleMoonlight said:

Hi all.

Many thanks.

Make sure you bookings are all linked. Give P&O or your travel agent a call if necessary.

You might manage a 10 and 3 x 4, or something similar. As you have a set dining time, your chances are better however go speak with the maître dee around 2/3pm on embarkation day. I once had a similar group and we had about four tables all along one side next to the window... 6, 4, 4, 6, 4.... not ideal but the whole section was the same waiters - so we swapped tables each night within our group and no one was upset.

Dining table allocation is still done by hand and the restaurant managers do look at the numbers in your bookings and try to allocate together. Failing all of that, I've known a large group who are prepared to dine at 6:30 be offered a section of the freedom dining restaurant... with the restaurant knowing it will be ready for new diners by 8:30.

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

Afternoon tea is back in the MDR. May be an image of text that says "Dear Mn Cox, have on f8 senior officers. Plus, together. returning stunning meanng fleet. they'l thrill hosting whole range introduced There's ro make reception. choice| find use. holiday nuch more, person There away using exciting things happening and restaurant manager easons, welcome back visiting Holiday, board. Thank aware Peninsular Club you're continuing sail note endly hips, twil afternoon needed do the PanlLuda President, P&O Cruises HEPENINSULAR CLUB"

Interesting that the small print says that neither afternoon tea or loyalty cocktail parties will take place on either Iona or Arvia, and it sounds as though that’s a permanent thing. 

55 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting that the small print says that neither afternoon tea or loyalty cocktail parties will take place on either Iona or Arvia, and it sounds as though that’s a permanent thing. 

Further indications of P&O’s strategy regarding their big ships, low headline prices, then afternoon tea an optional extra, do not wish to queue for the basic dinner, lots of speciality restaurants, wish to see a different act, there’s the Limelight Club etc. The question is will it trickle down to the other larger ships and will certain acts in the theatre attract a supplement?

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I think this confirms the new ships are going to be a different experience. We have a cruise booked on Iona and I am looking forward to trying all the new restaurants and entertainment facilities

We only ate in MDR every night because that was where the food was. I think different restaurants will suit us. Also it may be quicker. We are leave after we have eaten. Rather than hang around.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Selbourne said:

* please note. If for operational reasons......poor man needs a new script writer.🤭