Disembarkation one port before final destination

Hey! Jude

15 minutes ago, Hey! Jude said:

I am a Canadian planning an Alaskan cruise and wanted to disembark in Victoria BC instead of Vancouver or Seattle. Has anyone done this? if so, what is the process?

Thanks

You have to contact the cruise line and obtain permission. It may be legal or not under cabotage laws depending on the itinerary. For example on a cruise where you embark in Vancouver, the Canadian cabotage law, the Coast Trading Act, would likely prohibit your embarking a foreign flagged ship in Vancouver and disembarking in Victoria, but if you embarked in Seattle then it may be legal to disembark in Victoria.

• Thanks 1

OP - As others have said you need to contact your cruise line.  I know for Princess you call and ask for the Route Deviation Department.

Here is a thread about requesting a deviation on a Princess cruise last year that might be helpful:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2848272-leaving-ship-early-who-do-i-contact-in-princess/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You have to contact the cruise line and obtain permission. It may be legal or not under cabotage laws depending on the itinerary. For example on a cruise where you embark in Vancouver, the Canadian cabotage law, the Coast Trading Act, would likely prohibit your embarking a foreign flagged ship in Vancouver and disembarking in Victoria, but if you embarked in Seattle then it may be legal to disembark in Victoria.

If the cruise departed within Canada presumably the boat would have landed in Alaska and cabotage laws wouldn't apply as a foreign stop was made. 

I have left a cruise early and didn't beg "permission." After embarkation I informed the cruise line of my intentions to disembark in Halifax instead of proceeding to NYC. It wasn't a problem and I doubt they would have kept me on the boat and deny me return to my own country. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

doubt they would have kept me on the boat and deny me return to my own country. 

If leaving early causes the ship to violate cabotage laws, the ship can be fined and they have the right to go after the passenger for the cost of that fine. Not worth - IMO - the risk of a multi thousand $fine to just walk off instead of asking. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wcook said:

If leaving early causes the ship to violate cabotage laws, the ship can be fined and they have the right to go after the passenger for the cost of that fine. Not worth - IMO - the risk of a multi thousand $fine to just walk off instead of asking. 

In my situation cabotage laws didn't apply. Nor would they apply in the situation described by the OP. I'm not suggesting you don't ask what I am suggesting is that you don't take no for an answer and decide for yourself if leaving early is worth the extra cost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

If the cruise departed within Canada presumably the boat would have landed in Alaska and cabotage laws wouldn't apply as a foreign stop was made. 

That's not how I read the requirements of the Coast Trading Act. I appears to me to be similar to the USA's PVSA, which does not permit the transportation of a passenger on a foreign flagged vessel from one US port to another, even with a foreign port call. PVSA does make an exception, but that exception requires a port call in what is defined as a distant foreign port. However I admit to not being as familiar with the Coast Trading Act as I am with the PVSA

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

I have left a cruise early and didn't beg "permission." After embarkation I informed the cruise line of my intentions to disembark in Halifax instead of proceeding to NYC. It wasn't a problem and I doubt they would have kept me on the boat and deny me return to my own country. 

What was your itinerary? Where did you embark? If you embarked in the USA what you did was legal. If you embarked in a Canadian port, likely not so per my explanation above. If I were to violate the PVSA the cruise line would be fined and has the right to collect that fine from me.

BTW...where in my post did I use the word "beg"?

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

In my situation cabotage laws didn't apply. Nor would they apply in the situation described by the OP. I'm not suggesting you don't ask what I am suggesting is that you don't take no for an answer and decide for yourself if leaving early is worth the extra cost. 

OP doesn't specify where the cruise they are contemplating starts.

18 hours ago, Hey! Jude said:

I am a Canadian planning an Alaskan cruise and wanted to disembark in Victoria BC instead of Vancouver or Seattle. Has anyone done this? if so, what is the process?

Thanks

Generally, if the cruise is a Seattle round trip, the cruise lines don't allow disembarking early (in a foreign port).   And the PVSA wouldn't allow early disembarking if it's a US port.

5 hours ago, K32682 said:

There's absolutely no chance that the laws/regulations haven't changed since your experience?

2 hours ago, S1drfl said:

And wouldn't it be necessary to arrange a meeting with Customs and Immigration, even if the OP is disembarking in his/her own country?

Right.

Otherwise, how do Customs and Immigrations even know that "those people who are walking off with what appears to be all their luggage" are indeed citizens there?

That's part of what they check!

If it's "your own country" that may make it a bit easier, and perhaps not a "hard no" like in some "other country".  But why make it much easier that day by making a bit of contact about this in advance.

Our goal in traveling (in life!!) is to avoid stress when possible.  I'd hate to end a trip arguing with some poor port semi-official who may be clueless about this and is almost definitely going to be powerless until/unless they figure out whom to call, etc.

It's just not worth the stress then, or even giving it much thought before that day.

GC

2 hours ago, S1drfl said:

And wouldn't it be necessary to arrange a meeting with Customs and Immigration, even if the OP is disembarking in his/her own country?

People get on and off cruise ships all the time. Victoria is a busy port and finding a CBSA officer won't be a challenge. The cruise line will arrange it in advance. 

3 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

OP doesn't specify where the cruise they are contemplating starts.

Generally, if the cruise is a Seattle round trip, the cruise lines don't allow disembarking early (in a foreign port).   And the PVSA wouldn't allow early disembarking if it's a US port.

Vancouver isn't a U.S. port so there should be no issue if the cruise starts in Seattle. If the cruise starts in Vancouver, visits the U.S. and returns to Vancouver getting off in Victoria should be no issue too. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Vancouver isn't a U.S. port so there should be no issue if the cruise starts in Seattle. If the cruise starts in Vancouver, visits the U.S. and returns to Vancouver getting off in Victoria should be no issue too. 

If the cruise is a round trip Seattle cruise, getting off in Victoria could be an issue.  Time was there was no problem doing this, as long as you gave the cruise line a head's up that you wanted to do so.

Lately (like the last few years), getting off in a foreign port on a US port round trip cruise (Seattle round trip, but getting off in Vancouver,, for example) has been denied.  The issue is even one person getting off in the foreign port instead of back in the US port, changes the cruise from a round trip to a foreign destination cruise for everyone onboard.  The customs/immigration paperwork for the latter is more involved than the paperwork for the former.  Many cruise lines have opted to stop doing this and will deny early disembarkation for this reason.

If the cruise is a Vancouver round trip, and someone wants to disembark at Victoria (last port) I don't know how this is handled.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, K32682 said:

In my situation cabotage laws didn't apply. Nor would they apply in the situation described by the OP.

From Transport Canada regarding the Coasting Trade Act:

"If passengers embark in one location in Canada and disembark at another location in Canada the voyage would meet the definition of “coasting trade” under the Coasting Trade Act. This means that a foreign-registered or non-duty paid vessel would require a coasting trade licence for the voyage. This is the case, even if the vessel’s full itinerary doesn’t meet the definition of coasting trade under the Act."

This says that even if the "full itinerary" doesn't meet the definition of coasting trade" (in other words if the full cruise is considered "legal" under the CTA (has a foreign port call), just the simple act of getting on in one Canadian port and getting off in another violates the CTA.  And, unlike the PVSA, fines for violations of the CTA can be up to $5000.

But, hey, maybe cabotage laws don't apply to you.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

From Transport Canada regarding the Coasting Trade Act:

"If passengers embark in one location in Canada and disembark at another location in Canada the voyage would meet the definition of “coasting trade” under the Coasting Trade Act. This means that a foreign-registered or non-duty paid vessel would require a coasting trade licence for the voyage. This is the case, even if the vessel’s full itinerary doesn’t meet the definition of coasting trade under the Act."

This says that even if the "full itinerary" doesn't meet the definition of coasting trade" (in other words if the full cruise is considered "legal" under the CTA (has a foreign port call), just the simple act of getting on in one Canadian port and getting off in another violates the CTA.  And, unlike the PVSA, fines for violations of the CTA can be up to $5000.

But, hey, maybe cabotage laws don't apply to you.

The OP mentions that Seattle is an option for him to disembark suggesting it is the final port. Even if the cruise departed from Vancouver it would not be captured by this legislation because it visited a foreign port. 

In any event, the OP should inform the cruise line of his intentions and press the issue if the answer is no simply because the crew is too lazy to do the paperwork.

Edited by K32682

18 hours ago, K32682 said:

Do cruises that start in Vancouver ever have a port call in Victoria?

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this question. There was so much information shared that I was unable to find searching online.

I will plan my trip to get off at the final destination (Vancouver) but I will enquire once on the ship on the possibility of getting off early. 

The 2 cruises I am deciding between are 1. starting in Seattle and ending in Vancouver with Victoria the second last stop, or 2. starting in Los Angeles to Vancouver, again with Victoria as the second last stop. 

Victoria is a 90 minute ferry ride from Vancouver so not a big deal to travel back the next day.

thanks again everyone.

18 hours ago, Hey! Jude said:

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this question. There was so much information shared that I was unable to find searching online.

I will plan my trip to get off at the final destination (Vancouver) but I will enquire once on the ship on the possibility of getting off early. 

The 2 cruises I am deciding between are 1. starting in Seattle and ending in Vancouver with Victoria the second last stop, or 2. starting in Los Angeles to Vancouver, again with Victoria as the second last stop. 

Victoria is a 90 minute ferry ride from Vancouver so not a big deal to travel back the next day.

thanks again everyone.

This shouldn't be an issue. The cruise starts in the U.S. and ends in Canada. No cabotage laws broken and it won't be hard to find a CBSA officer in Victoria. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 10:31 AM, Hey! Jude said:

Just to repeat:  This sort of thing needs to be cleared BEFORE getting on the ship.  Just contact the cruise line and find out what they want.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Just to repeat:  This sort of thing needs to be cleared BEFORE getting on the ship.  Just contact the cruise line and find out what they want.

No doubt the cruise line would prefer advance notice but it is not absolutely necessary. My decision to depart early was made while the cruise was underway and arranging an early departure wasn't a problem. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, K32682 said:

No doubt the cruise line would prefer advance notice but it is not absolutely necessary. My decision to depart early was made while the cruise was underway and arranging an early departure wasn't a problem. 

Yes -- there is no overwhelming necessity  to comply with reasonable requests for the courtesy of advance notice as long as you are confident can do what you want when you want without clearing it with anyone.

But sometimes an unanticipated snag might crop up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes -- there is no overwhelming necessity  to comply with reasonable requests for the courtesy of advance notice as long as you are confident can do what you want when you want without clearing it with anyone.

But sometimes an unanticipated snag might crop up.

The important words in your post are REASONABLE and COURTESY.

And even when asking in advance, and getting permission, it is best to have it in writing as a snag might still show up.