YTD / Brunch - Gripe and A Question

groundloop

I'll start off saying that my wife is totally deaf in one ear and has lost over 50 percent of hearing in her other ear.  Even with hearing aids it's difficult for her to understand spoken words, especially in a noisy environment, and is extremely self conscious about this.  Therefore we much prefer to be seated by ourselves in the dining room.

Unfortunately when being seated at either YTD or Sea Day Brunch we are often assigned a group table even though I don't check "Please seat us at a shared table" in the hub app when checking in.  We then have to waste our time and the staff's time going back to request a different table.  Even the so called private tables which are spaced about 6 inches from each other are uncomfortable for my wife because most folks will politely start a conversation and she's not able to follow along very well.

I see quite a few couples seated in booths etc. - is there a secret to getting these or do they mostly just ask the dining room host/hostess for a booth before they're seated?

I would highly recommend going to the dining room when you board the ship.  It is usually open from 1-3pm so you can speak with the matrie'd and ask for a table/booth for 2. I would explain your reason and they will do their best to accommodate you.  I usually have to change tables to accommodate a wheelchair.  It may not happen on the first night but usually by the 2nd, we are good to go.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, sbc234 said:

I would highly recommend going to the dining room when you board the ship.  It is usually open from 1-3pm so you can speak with the matrie'd and ask for a table/booth for 2. I would explain your reason and they will do their best to accommodate you.  I usually have to change tables to accommodate a wheelchair.  It may not happen on the first night but usually by the 2nd, we are good to go.

Yes, this! Tell them the story you just told us and they will take care of you.

8 minutes ago, sbc234 said:

I'm pretty sure you're talking about  either early or late dining, not YTD.  My question/complaint is strictly about YTD.

I would go to the hostess stand on the first night and explain the situation.  They will mark your account with your preferences and you should be good to go from there.  I know that they push the app check-in and it is convenient, but it appears that you have unique circumstances and requirements.  I'm sure they will do everything they can to make your wife's experience great.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Veinless said:

I agree that the app does not respect the “Please seat us at a shared tablet” option. We always say no, and find ourselves seated with others. Why even include it as an option?

Strange.  We have did what you describe dozens upon dozens of times and twice they seated us with a group.  First time we just went with it, second time I simply asked for a private table.

4 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Strange.  We have did what you describe dozens upon dozens of times and twice they seated us with a group.  First time we just went with it, second time I simply asked for a private table.

Yep.  If you asked for a private table and they try to seat you with a group, there is nothing wrong with politely insisting on what you requested.  I don't see why you wouldn't get the next one available.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Interesting...I always use YTD and we have never once been seated at a group table.  

It's very common though to be seated along the benches where the 2-top tables are about 8" apart, which was also part of OP's issue.

Never has Carnival tried to seat me with a group when not requested and I think only once on the 14 day cruise I just finished was I seated close to anyone else. Of course, my meal time preferences don't coincide with the most popular times. I find Carnival staff to be very attentive and will quickly learn your preferences and needs if you let them be known.

If you go speak to the MD, it works best if you go at 500 prior to dinner starting.  Or at least it did for me.   I showed up at 2:00 and they said to come back at 5.  

I’m certain they will do their best to accommodate you.  

2 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

I would go to the hostess stand on the first night and explain the situation.  They will mark your account with your preferences and you should be good to go from there......

They actually have the ability to make it so we'll be guaranteed a private table every time we check in on the hub app?

Edited by groundloop

39 minutes ago, groundloop said:

They actually have the ability to make it so we'll be guaranteed a private table every time we check in on the hub app?

I don't think they do. My mom and aunt went on a cruise in December and had seaday brunch every single day available and every single time, without request,  they were sent to a group table and had to go back to the stand to change it. Same hosts everytime and they never fixed it in the system that they didn't want a group table. Same thing happened to them twice for dinner as well. Even my own experience,  my last cruise was a solo, got dinner tables to myself but brunch I was seated at a long table that one guy was seated at by himself as well and then two couples joined the table. None of us wanted to be at the group table.

It's actually my biggest grief with Carnival because it genuinely doesn't make since. If I didn't request to sit with others, how about ask me at the hostess stand before we walk to the table if a group one is okay? Saves everyone time. Half the time the hostess starts walking to the table before I can even ask what type of table it is myself.

13 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

I don't think they do. My mom and aunt went on a cruise in December and had seaday brunch every single day available and every single time, without request,  they were sent to a group table and had to go back to the stand to change it. Same hosts everytime and they never fixed it in the system that they didn't want a group table. Same thing happened to them twice for dinner as well. Even my own experience,  my last cruise was a solo, got dinner tables to myself but brunch I was seated at a long table that one guy was seated at by himself as well and then two couples joined the table. None of us wanted to be at the group table.

It's actually my biggest grief with Carnival because it genuinely doesn't make since. If I didn't request to sit with others, how about ask me at the hostess stand before we walk to the table if a group one is okay? Saves everyone time. Half the time the hostess starts walking to the table before I can even ask what type of table it is myself.

If I had this issue I would ask at the hostess stand if it was a private table before I took another step. Of course, you could still end up in a two top next to your neighbors.

• Like 1

In such circumstances, checking in at the hostess desk is easier because you can directly state your preferences each evening at check-in. But then you are treated like a pariah for not using the app. Impossible to win I suppose.

Another option, which doesn't help for breakfast of course, is to do set time dining and speak to the Maitre'd during embarkation to make your needs known, along with a table change as necessary.

28 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

We always ask for our own table, and have never been seated at a group table for dinner.  Only once for brunch.  We didn't bother to go back to change.

On our last cruise, they were asking people who were hanging in the "lobby" waiting for their table assignment to pop up on their app if they wanted to sit at a group table instead, but they still honored requests for individual tables.

Odd - I've never once been seated at a group table when I haven't asked for it. Is it busier when you typically check in? They might just be trying to seat everyone as quickly as possible, which still isn't a good excuse, but might explain your situation.

8 hours ago, Mic101680 said:

Odd - I've never once been seated at a group table when I haven't asked for it. Is it busier when you typically check in? They might just be trying to seat everyone as quickly as possible, which still isn't a good excuse, but might explain your situation.

Every time this happened we'd put in for our table 10 minutes before dinner or brunch started.  The dining room never got crowded for at least a half hour after we arrived.