West or East Coast Mexico?

Considering a Mexico trip for my husband's 30th birthday on RCI. Torn between the West or East coast itineraries. I've only been to Cozumel for a college spring break trip, otherwise totally unfamiliar of the ports. Cost is very similar for itinerary and flights, so that is not a factor. The trip would be in October, so I'm concerned about hurricane season (not sure if this is a concern for just the East or both). The itineraries are below. Appreciate any advice on the itineraries or the ships!

Royal Caribbean Allure
Galveston, TX
Sea
Sea
Roatan, Honduras
Costa Maya, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Sea

Galveston, TX

Royal Caribbean Navigator
Los Angeles, CA
Sea
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Mazatlan, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Sea
Sea
Los Angeles, CA

22 minutes ago, potatopotato said:

Considering a Mexico trip for my husband's 30th birthday on RCI. Torn between the West or East coast itineraries. I've only been to Cozumel for a college spring break trip, otherwise totally unfamiliar of the ports. Cost is very similar for itinerary and flights, so that is not a factor. The trip would be in October, so I'm concerned about hurricane season (not sure if this is a concern for just the East or both). The itineraries are below. Appreciate any advice on the itineraries or the ships!

Royal Caribbean Allure
Galveston, TX
Sea
Sea
Roatan, Honduras
Costa Maya, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Sea

Galveston, TX

Los Angeles, CA
Sea
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Mazatlan, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Sea
Sea
Los Angeles, CA

I just got off Navigator and have two more booked so I'm obviously a fan of Nav. Im a Californian so the up side is no flight for me.  However, if I had to fly in and all other things were equal I'd take Allure.  It's a bigger ship with more dining options and more to do.  I'm booked on the same itinerary as you listed for Allure except I'll be going on Harmony in Dec after they make their switch.  

Also, if you are booking a suite and not a regular cabin the difference will be even more pronounced.

The one down side to Galveston is the it is a bit of a pain in the butt to get from Houston to Galveston compared to LAX to San Pedro.  However it's not terrible.

Edited by Tree_skier

32 minutes ago, potatopotato said:

Royal Caribbean Allure
Galveston, TX
Sea
Sea
Roatan, Honduras
Costa Maya, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Sea

Galveston, TX

Los Angeles, CA
Sea
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Mazatlan, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Sea
Sea
Los Angeles, CA

If you like beaches then I think the Allure is your ticket.  Additionally, Costa Maya and Cozumel are much less Americanized...no Walmart when you step off the ship.  I love Mexico itineraries so you really can't go wrong either way.  I would prefer the Allure over the Navigator so that would be a deciding factor for me as well.

I too have done both coasts of Mexico and I would have to say if you are looking for the different ports, the west coast is the best. If you are into the larger ships with more bells and whistles, then Allure should be your choice. I must also admit Cabo is one of my favorite ports.

• Like 2

Count me as one more who has done both itineraries multiple times, and enjoys both. The Allure is one of my favorite ships in the fleet, so I'm admittedly biased, but I would personally choose that route.

You don't mention what kinds of port activities you enjoy, but if you're into diving or snorkeling, the Western route is DEFINITELY the way to go. 

1 hour ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

You don't mention what kinds of port activities you enjoy, but if you're into diving or snorkeling, the Western route is DEFINITELY the way to go. 

I love the Mesoamerican Reef for snorkeling so I would choose the Western Caribbean (East Mexico...). 

I'm a newbie to cruise vacations.  I also know a lot about Mexico, having traveled in the country since 1969, traveled in most parts over the years ... and lived in Mexico City for 6 years.  My recent first-ever cruise was a 7 nighter to the Western Caribbean.  If I wanted to cruise back in Mexico I'd choose the West Coast. The West Coast itinerary offers a better experience in Mexico, IMO.  The ship isn't as important to me, a solo traveler, as the itinerary.  

• Like 1

If you're only choosing between these 2 options, I'd pick the Allure for the "better" itinerary, but the ship is an additional bonus because I prefer the Oasis Class to the Voyager Class. 

I think the beaches are better on the Allure route than on the Navigator route (though I don't really like either itinerary).

If you're open to a 3rd option, I'd look into a Southern route out of Puerto Rico. Hands down the absolute prettiest islands, and you can't even compare how beautiful and clear the water is in places like Antigua, Barbados, St Lucia etc, to those of Mexico, which in my opinion, does not have nice beaches at all. Plus, since you're sailing in October and worried about hurricanes, the southern route is outside the hurricane belt for the most part. 

Mexico beach water is not very clear, and it's a little rough and a little cold. Just not my favorite at all. Honduras had beautiful beaches and great snorkeling, but Costa Maya and Cozumel are both a big thumbs down for me. But, I'd still pick Costa Maya and Cozumel over Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. Plus, the Allure is more of a destination than Navigator. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

2 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

I think you should look at the options again -- the choices were for East Coast Mexico or West Coast Mexico --- NOT Eastern or Western Caribbean.  I agree that Western Caribbean is great for snorkeling, however Western Mexico is NOT known for its snorkeling.

I have actually done both of these exact cruises -- I did Navigator out of California last January, and Allure out of Galveston this January.  I would take the Allure/Galveston itinerary hands-down over the Navigator/San Pedro itinerary.  

• Like 1

Another vote for the Allure.

Been on both ships and itineraries...multiple times.

* Just disembarked from the Navigator this morning. We love the Nav...but for the same price...we would pick the Allure. Happy sailing!

It is cheaper for us to cruise on the West Coast, but if it was a special occasion, I would definitely vote for the East Coast of Mexico. We really like Navigator and the Mexican Riviera, but it is not super exciting or warm many times. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hoosier sailor said:

I too have done both coasts of Mexico and I would have to say if you are looking for the different ports, the west coast is the best. If you are into the larger ships with more bells and whistles, then Allure should be your choice. I must also admit Cabo is one of my favorite ports.

Agree with this! We have done both itineraries as well. As far as ports go, I prefer the west coast.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brillohead said:

I think you should look at the options again -- the choices were for East Coast Mexico or West Coast Mexico --- NOT Eastern or Western Caribbean.  I agree that Western Caribbean is great for snorkeling, however Western Mexico is NOT known for its snorkeling.

Thank you for catching that, my phrasing was not clear at all. 🙂 And yes, that was what I was trying to say: Western Caribbean (i.e. Eastern coast of Mexico). As you probably know, the water off of the Western coast of Mexico is far less clear. Just so-so for diving, snorkeling hardly worth it IMHO.

• Like 1

Am I the only person on this thread that prefers the Voyager class to the Oasis class?

LOL

That said, one comment that the hurricane season is almost over by October so there's little risk there so the Allure out of Galveston might be a good choice. If there is a hurricane, your itinerary can change. We try not to cruise the Caribbean between May and October. We got caught during a hurricane once and it changed our itinerary completely to stay away from the hurricane. We ended up missing islands that we wanted to see. (Not to worry, we got them on subsequent cruises!!)

14 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

Am I the only person on this thread that prefers the Voyager class to the Oasis class?

LOL

Ha, no, you’re not! 🙂 I like the western Caribbean route but haven’t done the west coast of Mexico so would choose that since it likely wouldn’t be one I’d take again and most of our cruises hit either the east or west Caribbean route 

26 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

LOL

That said, one comment that the hurricane season is almost over by October so there's little risk there so the Allure out of Galveston might be a good choice. If there is a hurricane, your itinerary can change. We try not to cruise the Caribbean between May and October. We got caught during a hurricane once and it changed our itinerary completely to stay away from the hurricane. We ended up missing islands that we wanted to see. (Not to worry, we got them on subsequent cruises!!)

No. We prefer a Voyager class over an Oasis class any day. We love the NV but it can be chilly most of the year when leaving from San Pedro. Once you get down to the MR ports then it will warm. Very warm even in October.