SpaceX Falcon 9 launch and sail away from PC

Arya23

There’s apparently a launch on Feb 26th between 1 pm and 6 pm at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. Does this affect the cruises that are departing from PC that day? We’ll be on WOS which is supposed to depart at 4:30 pm. Will we be able to see the launch from the ship? This is our first time cruising from PC so we’re excited to go on this new adventure. 😊

• Like 1

No, it should not effect the departure...I was on a recent Independence of the Seas cruise where the rocket lifted off around 12pm and I stood next to the Captain on the Lido deck watching the lift off. So, yes, you will clearly see it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arya23 said:

Amazing photos, @John&LaLaand @twangster. Thanks for sharing!

Excited for this. *bucket list*

Keep in mind, from the ship, you will not see with the naked eye what is depicted in those photos without some type of scope or binoculars. I am confident those pictures were taken with a very nice camera.  

13 hours ago, Arya23 said:

There’s apparently a launch on Feb 26th between 1 pm and 6 pm at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. Does this affect the cruises that are departing from PC that day? We’ll be on WOS which is supposed to depart at 4:30 pm. Will we be able to see the launch from the ship? This is our first time cruising from PC so we’re excited to go on this new adventure. 😊

We did this in november.  Its not that big of a deal,  but worth watching.   Yes you can get held up.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arya23 said:

Thanks for the info, everyone! Hopefully they launch before 4 pm. 😁 But since we have no control over the when, we’ll just enjoy the experience. 

They usually launch immediately when the launch window opens.  I hope you get to see one, they are amazing.  And just when you think it's over, the rumble comes since sound travels slower than light.  It's quite the experience.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rolloman said:

Keep in mind, from the ship, you will not see with the naked eye what is depicted in those photos without some type of scope or binoculars. I am confident those pictures were taken with a very nice camera.  

Yes, this is a big zoom, but you can see plenty with the naked eye. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

This is NASA's youtube channel.  You can watch the launch coverage starting at 10 P.M. on Feb 26.  

Crew 6 was postponed and moved to early morning on Feb. 27 (launchpad 39A)

I'm still seeing a reference to a separate Starlink 6-1 launch early afternoon on Feb. 26 which was pushed from Feb. 23. (launchpad 40)

https://www.rocketlaunch.live/?tag=series-spacex-starlink

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

NET Feb. 26Falcon 9 • Starlink 6-1
Launch time: Approx. 1830 GMT (1:30 p.m. EST)
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch another batch of Starlink internet satellites. This mission will be the first mission to launch a new larger Starlink spacecraft design known as “Starlink V2 Mini.” The Falcon 9’s first stage booster will land on a drone ship in the Atlantic Ocean. Delayed from Feb. 23. [Feb. 23]
Feb. 27Falcon 9 • Crew 6
Launch time: 0645 GMT (1:45 a.m. EST)
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch a Crew Dragon spacecraft on the program’s ninth flight with astronauts. The Falcon 9’s first stage booster will land on a drone ship in the Atlantic Ocean. NASA astronauts Stephen Bowen, Warren “Woody” Hoburg, UAE astronaut Sultan Al Neyadi, and Russian cosmonaut Andrey Fedyaev will launch on the Crew Dragon spacecraft to begin a six-month expedition on the International Space Station. The Crew Dragon will return to a splashdown at sea. Delayed from Feb. 19 and Feb. 26. [Feb. 23]

Edited by twangster

17 hours ago, Arya23 said:

If the rocket launches the weather should be nice and you will definitely be able to see and hear the launch. The trajectory of the rocket should not cause any delays. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pcur said:

Watched a rocket launch at PC on 2/6 at 8:32pm on deck 15. Best " shore excursion EVER!!!"

IMG_1768.MOV 261.12 MB · 1 download  

What made the launch more amazing at one point one can see a speck (rocket) side by side with an almost full moon.  Would have loved to be high on the North Star and seen the launch.🚀

• Like 2

Sorry for the bad news but the Starlink 6-1 launch moved to Monday. I am a range scheduler and I knew yesterday when I posted the launch was not happening but could not release the information until we released the information to outside agencies. Anyone cruising Monday should get to see it though.