Live Review: Freedom of the Seas Feb 27-March 3, 2023

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Wow...another from CatLadyFemme! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

CatLadyFemme was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Hey all, I’m baaaaaaaack for another live review. 

For those who don’t know me, I’m Shanna, aka the CatLady. This will be my first RCCL cruise as Diamond 💎. I am a queer, nonbinary femme, also am disabled and chronically ill (including navigating over a year of long COVID), autistic and anxious. Usually I travel with one of my two partners (MrCatLady or MxCatLady), but due to the Michigan State shooting and recent ice storm that has made MrCatLady’s house uninhabitable, I will be cruising solo for the first time ever. Super anxious about traveling alone for the first time in 3 years (I used to travel alone monthly; so much changes!), and about being fairly visibly queer in a state passing such hateful laws. But also really ready to be out of this house, so here we go!

I am going to be in a junior suite (accessible) for the first time, though sad to have all that room and no one to share it with! I also am vegetarian and have celiac disease (meaning I am gluten free and have to be super careful). More than happy to answer questions about being autistic and navigating sensory stuff, being disabled and navigating accessibility, and/or the food allergy stuff. I am especially nervous about doing all of this alone, as my partners often help in PCA roles and helping me navigate stressful situations, and with the new MDR stuff, and the changes in housekeeping (I usually ask for ice twice daily to help with my migraines), everything feels a bit up in the air. But first world problems, I know.

I am immuno compromised so will be masking in indoor public places outside of eating, and avoiding crowded spaces. Also, I plan to take Enovid daily, and have a personal HEPA filter for the airports/plane ride/cabs. I usually love entertainment, but my attendance will be based on crowd size. I don’t plan to get off in Nassau (been there, done that), and while I have a beach bed booked for CocoCay, will likely cancel it as I don’t have anyone to push the beach wheelchairs or help me into the water. That said, I still have plans to do Giovanni’s one night, have the internet package, am bringing a ton of books, and plan to spend much time in the solarium pool and in the shade reading.

I fly from Detroit to Miami tomorrow, and am staying at the EVEN hotel near the airport. On Friday, I have a lot of time to kill before my flight in the evening. We had plans originally to see MrCatLady’s mother who lives in Jupiter, but I don’t think she wants to hang out with just me 😂, so I’ve booked a day use room for the first time ever, at the airport ALOFT, and plan to do that.

I usually post at least once a day if not more while on board, if the internet cooperates. Happy to answer questions to to seek things out (if safe/not crowded) to find things out for you.

Bags are packed, and I am ready (ish!) to go!

picture of me so you know what’s coming down the pipeline.

83449F26-EFB4-4B3C-90D3-CCDA668A4A64.thumb.jpeg.2d9f82199d8f39cb557b4be1ca0946bb.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Following...have an upcoming trip on Freedom and excited to hear about your experience.  Have a son who is on the spectrum, so understand some of your concerns...I hope everything goes well and you have a wonderful trip!  Kudos to you for getting out there as difficult as it must be.

• Like 1

I have made it to the airport and my gate! Hurrah! MrCatLady and Marla Pooch drove me to the airport. Power line is still down in the backyard 😬

AC185DAF-6096-45A0-BC16-97B715ECBCA5.thumb.jpeg.c2d727872b4ffa24d753b7542c20ddfb.jpeg

The airport was surprisingly less busy than I expected with it being Michigan’s Spring Break, but the lovely young man pushing my wheelchair told me it was just a lull. I have seen one family wearing N95s and two people with surgical masks around their chins as they are, and that is it out of about 200 folks observed. Several folks have sneezed or coughed, and no one seems to care. What a difference than the last time I flew (to Seattle in August for Quantum). A reminder of the state of the world I suppose, and glad for my anxiety meds! I couldn’t find my reliable FloMask last night during my rushed packing, so am trying out this Breathe99 option. It’s much lighter weight and more comfortable than the Flo, but still working in the seal.

38001D82-F579-4DF2-875A-A5245B2C3235.thumb.jpeg.5e769c5e158ed5908d1c86aefd9a520b.jpeg

For those of you with sensory stuff, if you haven’t tried Loops, I can’t recommend them enough. I turned two of my pairs into earrings for travel, so they dangle down as earrings normally and then pop in easily without my having to search or lose them.

2E192E19-DB60-4846-88F7-D1F909B0A2ED.thumb.jpeg.684ccc6729764d3988a293887f071565.jpeg

I’ve also brought a USB chargable personal HEPA filter (see below) and my family in Israel sent me Enovid. Crossing my fingers that this is all enough. Long COVID has been kicking my butt for 13 months and I don’t know what another infection would do. Fingers crossed.

D6F8439F-BF8C-4863-904F-F93A9463C071.thumb.jpeg.2153d86aca8c45a0a41156cb6508fad9.jpeg

Have done my health screening and watched the safety videos. I think I am as ready as I am going to be. Thanks y’all, for joining me on my anxious adventure.

• Like 4

I made it to Miami! Flight was ok, though my air filter died half way through…wondering if I didn’t charge it enough.

Got from the plane to the wheelchair to baggage claim to the stop for hotels shuttles in less than 20 minutes…and then proceeded to wait about 45 minutes for the hotel shuttle. I called, and was on hold for 13 minutes before I gave up and just waited. When I got there, the line was 4 parties deep with only one person at the front desk. I felt bad for him! The phone in my room doesn’t work, but when I tried to call on my cell to report this, no one answered.

E532CBDD-AA27-4BBA-A6EB-81151520C619.thumb.jpeg.978aab0b02790a37a068212be4d0b640.jpeg1049291B-2BEB-4FB5-AB1B-180E381F29F9.thumb.jpeg.101dbde5b652e14424a018ae88db9cf5.jpeg3C03489F-BAC2-4A66-8EBB-B209418D57B2.thumb.jpeg.5ae867dde78e77bb1d6097d01470165b.jpegEAAB4855-07C5-4F03-AB67-9E3C6779CDE9.thumb.jpeg.e9801ee84153a7041d1a9be738145f17.jpeg

Room was fine. Since they don’t have bathtubs here, I was ok skipping the accessible room, and it is smaller than I expected and way further from the elevators. That said, it’s fine; same colors as the one in MI, and all the work out gear that EVEN hotels have. Pool was only open till 8ish (Sundown), which was a disappointment, but I got a lovely picture of it from my window.

A3E776D9-178B-4830-87A2-643068C55876.thumb.jpeg.0bff15e41d6e52b5f05219f5206a9e57.jpeg

Ordered delivery from Moonbowls, an all gluten free and mostly vegan place, through DoorDash. I did the BBQ cauliflower wings and a build your own bowl. It was solid; nothing amazing to write home about, but also, it broke my traditional of almost always getting glutened the night before the cruise.

4E8646CB-C52F-4682-A83D-5276F8D0CD48.thumb.jpeg.5828a9fb36f94bcd70c7b85ba842cc99.jpegB449CC83-1033-48B7-A08D-DCB8CBD7579D.thumb.jpeg.6ee91475edf3bc64784e7a134904ca89.jpeg

Just vegging in the room, watching some copaganda shows (NCIS at the moment); a guilty pleasure when I used to travel, and moving stuff around for ease of getting on board tomorrow. Still anxious, but a smidgen less so. So glad you are all along for the ride!

• Like 10

I’m looking forward to following along with you on your cruise. I’ve always enjoyed your reviews and I’m sure I’ll enjoy this one too.

I’m especially looking forward to hearing about how you make out in the MDR since I have food allergies of my own to deal with.

I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing cruise.

• Like 1

I loved your previous reviews and looking forward to this one.  Was just off the Harmony of the Seas and it was around 110% - 120% capacity (100% being two person in each room) due to the number of families with more than two people to a room,  lots of children on school break and pre-school age.  So please be prepared for the crowds. 

• Like 1