The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday March 1st, 2023

Rabbit, rabbit. As usual, the Junior Cat asks, "Where?"

The pigs will have to celebrate without me. Many friends have served in the Peace Corps, most on Caribbean islands but one in the Ivory Coast. @grapau27, I know that peanut butter isn't ubiquitous in the UK, but the one time I tried to buy it in Austria, the only brand was a UK import. It was very different from American peanut butter.

No pork chops for me. I don't think that I would like the cocktail. I do like Australian Shiraz but would likely buy it in a three-liter box. I haven't been to Saguenay.

Yesterday afternoon I felt less sleepy, and rested a bit but didn't sleep. Unfortunately, I felt even less sleepy at bedtime.

rejected.thumb.jpg.d9f0d8b690bf80e90e8a087be7a9a49d.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 10

29 minutes ago, travelnap said:

RedneckBob, you know some of us are not that sharp, so we will never be able to figure out when your birthday is.  You would put most of us in 7th heaven if you could give us slow pokes a clue. 

The Peace Corps do some wonderful work.  I also am going to celebrate pig day, as they have made great sacrifices for all of us.  I am thinking ham, bacon, pork chops, pulled pork, and of course a nice slow cooked pork loin.  Happy Birthday to AliasChief.

Ok, here goes. My birthday is a prime number, sound has this many different notes, number of colors of the rainbow, number of vertebrae. Does that help. Or 7th heaven could be the day of rest. Need more help. It’s the number of oceans and continents. And finally it’s the number between 6 & 8.

• Like 3
  • Haha 15

Morning all from snowy Durango, again or maybe it is still. I cancelled our Board meeting for tonight and will not reschedule it. There are a couple of us to handle the only real thing that needs doing between now and our next regularly scheduled meeting the end of the month. I don't want to tempt the snow Gods who seem to have it for us. By the way, before this round of snow and ice, the shelter roof sprung a leak but the roofer can't do anything because of the snow depth on said roof. I keep telling myself, only two more months, only two more months.

I slept until about 3:15 this morning then got up and checked for snow. None visible. Went back to bed until 5:15... still no snow. Woke up again at 7 and hustled to get the dogs our before it got deep enough to worry little Monty. The good side of this is that right now the forecast is for the bulk of heavy snow to go south of us this afternoon. We can but hope (sorry, New Mexico). Meanwhile both dogs are settled in for the day.

Those pork chops look really, really good. When I can get to the store will pick some up and give it a try. Don't know what I will have tonight. Will surprise myself.

Hope March behaves itself, and that healing starts or continues for those that are having issues. And that well all can get some sleep.

Susan

• Like 20

Good morning, 

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit! Today no snow is falling but it's below freezing. Hopefully it will warm up before I have to head out. I didn't go anywhere yesterday as the snow fell most of the day and our road was a mess. I'd prepped DH for this and called in a few times. Later in the afternoon the evening nurse called to update me which I appreciated. Then, a few minutes later, I got another call and DH wanted to talk to me so she used her cell and we had a nice conversation (for him). She told me she'd never heard him talk so much and carry on a conversation! I'll be in there today. 

I love pork chops and will do one in the air fryer tonight. DH loves pigs and has the entire Freddy the Pig series of books he remembers from his childhood. I got him a stuffed aviator pig for Valentine's Day. He's very happy with peanut butter and jelly on toast or bread or in a sandwich. I like to make a peanut butter oatmeal cookie with peanut butter chips. I think that has it all covered. 

Enjoy your day everyone!

Karen

• Like 19

rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit...I did say that to myself when i woke at 5 this morning, and then i said, get off the bed, cat, I have to use the bathroom, and it was downhill from there.  We had steak last night, roasted squash and mushrooms, and a salad.  Within one hour, DH was ill, this morning at 5 I was ill.I am still feeling awful.  Am I poisoning us?  I am going to work today (to the living room) but I wont work tonight, I have no scheduled calls,  and an early bed time sounds very nice.

DH is going to try driving this morning, since I don't really want to leave the house.  He has not driven since his eye surgery, a month ago.  I will keep my fingers crossed for him.

@Cruzin Terri I read your post last night and am sending you a huge hug.  It's hard when we  learn that the rock we have leaned on, is now more a puddle, and we have to become the rock.  I am currently in pebble stage.  Because I hate arguing, and my rock doesn't. like the power taken away, but he cant make up his mind on anything.  So I have two sinks that leak, a toilet that leaks, doors where the keys dont work...they are all going to be fixed.......i just hope it's before the house  implodes.

I love peanut butter.  My favorite sandwich is a bacon and peanut butter.  I love it on celery, and sometimes, I just get a big spoon of it and slowly nibble on it.  And I love Reeces.....When I lived up north the young adult group I belonged to used to have annual peanut butter parties.  Now we all live far apart, two have Alzheimer's and we don't hear from them, because their spouses passed on.  How quickly time goes by.

I will celebrate the pig!  The pig gives us bacon, and baby back ribs.....and pork roast, and pork tenderloin and pork chops, and sausage, and ...wish I felt better, this pig talk should make me hungry.

I love the quote, and fear the reality of it.  But this year I am giving myself many days of not being in my comfort zone.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all!

Seems that last night was better for a lot of us.  I slept right past 3 am, didn't wake up until 4 am.  And then I wasn't awake too terribly long, and slept another couple hours -- so a very good night!

The drink and meal both look really good.  I'm just trying to decide which recipe Debbie @dfishposted looks the best.  Will pass on the red wine, and we've been to Saguenay many times on a BHB.  

Not a lot on the agenda today, other than a hair cut and getting some things to a donation center.  Our snow is still here, but the roads look good.  We'll see if the garbage trucks come...they rarely make it out when we have snow.

Bruce @aliaschiefHappy Birthday!

@cl8ssy ch8ssisWelcome to CC and the Daily.

Prayers for all who are ailing and cheers for those celebrating.  Have a good day everyone!

Some photos from 2012 and 2016.

Love their old-time costumed greeting! 

734004279_unicycleSaguenay.jpg.8eb98b81cbcdde65b48f9c02595403e4.jpg

74956809_Saguenaygreeters.jpg.3ec43ca915d45c065dfa6eef50df66ec.jpg

And their generous helpings of blueberry pie 🙂  I also didn't turn down their gifts of chocolates as we returned to the ship later that day.

832106432_blueberrypieSaguenay.thumb.jpg.e4448713c38d4d0861f83ce09bb7c3f2.jpg

One visit we rented a car and drove to the National Park.

2095643284_Saguenaynationalpark.jpg.5d1779fda2d7d225ca1e71a83962a87c.jpg

An uphill hike but beautiful.

898358942_uphillclimb.jpg.4e4f8fc9ba3c55c3394e8a83f223da98.jpg

855902869_NationalPark.jpg.c1d018651d5571979e391048afbcae6f.jpg

1312829286_scenerySaguenay.jpg.23f97a642b4c8a63a106a832d4a7332f.jpg

520567087_Saguenaybeach.jpg.a224fa96e38518963f9e982cf755d7c0.jpg

Aluminum bridge

1691003384_Aluminumbridge.jpg.620d493303a219d0d77db6761463ee49.jpgA few churches

472649024_churchSaguenay.thumb.jpg.d5a94d396de3be57df8fbc85e821a3fe.jpg

1373534543_Saguenaychurch.jpg.45e2e9611ecb88f9b68dabac0cf22aad.jpg

And even costumed locals in a gift shop.

1105658710_costumedlocals.jpg.aec10b53f8810a5c4927d093d8346bcb.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

I have a question.  I understand the concept of the Orange Party, but is it for everyone or just those with Mariner Points?  In other words, should I pack orange, and how fancy is it.  My friend who just booked this cruise just told me that he does not want to go all fancy, so how fancy is fancy?  in the mdr, on formal night.  I cruised Alaska with Carnival and we did not go to formal night.  It was never that warm, and formal would mean winter formal,  I wasnt planning on taking that  much stuff.

• Like 11

Just now, marshhawk said:

I have a question.  I understand the concept of the Orange Party, but is it for everyone or just those with Mariner Points?  In other words, should I pack orange, and how fancy is it.  My friend who just booked this cruise just told me that he does not want to go all fancy, so how fancy is fancy?  in the mdr, on formal night.  I cruised Alaska with Carnival and we did not go to formal night.  It was never that warm, and formal would mean winter formal,  I wasnt planning on taking that  much stuff.

The Orange Party is for everyone.  Each cruise seems to do it differently.  One cruise we were on it was very low key, just some special drinks in the BB King Lounge.  Then our last cruise they had contests for who had the best "orange" costume, and it was a big party.  And no, you don't have to pack orange, we never have.  They have tons of orange things you can buy in the shops for it if you change your mind.

Formal, or "dressy" as it's called now, can be anything from a collared shirt for the men to a tux -- coat and tie are no longer required.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Growing up in England never heard of peanut butter.   Married a Canadian,   Have 3 Canadian children who wanted peanut butter and jam sandwiches for lunch everyday, still can’t stand the smell of it.  

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Seems that last night was better for a lot of us.  I slept right past 3 am, didn't wake up until 4 am.  And then I wasn't awake too terribly long, and slept another couple hours -- so a very good night!

The drink and meal both look really good.  I'm just trying to decide which recipe Debbie @dfishposted looks the best.  Will pass on the red wine, and we've been to Saguenay many times on a BHB.  

Not a lot on the agenda today, other than a hair cut and getting some things to a donation center.  Our snow is still here, but the roads look good.  We'll see if the garbage trucks come...they rarely make it out when we have snow.

Bruce @aliaschiefHappy Birthday!

@cl8ssy ch8ssisWelcome to CC and the Daily.

Prayers for all who are ailing and cheers for those celebrating.  Have a good day everyone!

Some photos from 2012 and 2016.

Love their old-time costumed greeting! 

734004279_unicycleSaguenay.jpg.8eb98b81cbcdde65b48f9c02595403e4.jpg

74956809_Saguenaygreeters.jpg.3ec43ca915d45c065dfa6eef50df66ec.jpg

And their generous helpings of blueberry pie 🙂  I also didn't turn down their gifts of chocolates as we returned to the ship later that day.

832106432_blueberrypieSaguenay.thumb.jpg.e4448713c38d4d0861f83ce09bb7c3f2.jpg

One visit we rented a car and drove to the National Park.

2095643284_Saguenaynationalpark.jpg.5d1779fda2d7d225ca1e71a83962a87c.jpg

An uphill hike but beautiful.

898358942_uphillclimb.jpg.4e4f8fc9ba3c55c3394e8a83f223da98.jpg

855902869_NationalPark.jpg.c1d018651d5571979e391048afbcae6f.jpg

1312829286_scenerySaguenay.jpg.23f97a642b4c8a63a106a832d4a7332f.jpg

520567087_Saguenaybeach.jpg.a224fa96e38518963f9e982cf755d7c0.jpg

Aluminum bridge

1691003384_Aluminumbridge.jpg.620d493303a219d0d77db6761463ee49.jpgA few churches

472649024_churchSaguenay.thumb.jpg.d5a94d396de3be57df8fbc85e821a3fe.jpg

1373534543_Saguenaychurch.jpg.45e2e9611ecb88f9b68dabac0cf22aad.jpg

And even costumed locals in a gift shop.

1105658710_costumedlocals.jpg.aec10b53f8810a5c4927d093d8346bcb.jpg

Lovely photos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all.  Guess I started out the day "celebrating!"  I had peanut butter on my breakfast toast.  Really the only way I eat peanut butter.  My late DH was a kid all the time he was at home with his pb&j sandwiches.  Practically the only food type item that he would prepare for himself.

I currently am "annoyed" about my flights home from Amsterdam in April.  HAL booked my air with American Airlines, but since the Amsterdam-London-Dallas flights are on British Airways I have to pay for seat selection!  Of course, the only truly American Airlines portion of the flight will be from Dallas to home.  I just have never paid to select my seat.  

Our weather is truly "iffy" today.  Says it is snowing out according to my weather app, but the tiny amount that was on the ground when I got up is gone. Wish the weather would make up its' mind, either snow or we would have decent weather.  Of course, mountain areas are still getting lots, so that is good for the summer water conditions.  But who knows if Lakes Powell and Mead will start to refill with this year's snowpack?!

My special prayers for those whose DH's are undergoing special challenges.  With the multiple years that my DH had home hospice care, I truly understand.  We find out what difficulties we can overcome.  I did things I had never before had to accomplish.  

@aliaschief, Happy Birthday.  Congratulations to all others celebrating special events!

@marshhawk, I will join you in upcoming cruise questions.  On my TA on the Rotterdam we will be transiting the Atlantic for multiple days.  I have the HIA, which includes wi-fi.  I have never had wi-fi before on any cruise, so I am unsure what happens.  Since my oldest step-son will be having his kidney removal during that period, will I be able to receive either texts or emails about the surgery?  Or will I have to wait till we get to England to have any communication?  Sorry I am so clueless, but have never been out of touch for so long.  Also, I know the step-kids will want to know how this 80/81 year old woman is doing traveling solo.

Have a great day, everyone!

Mary Kay

• Like 21

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Still at optometrist and slowly becoming blind after having eyes dilated.

They have a sign that reads.

Optometrist live longer because they dilate!

That’s the worst part, dilation. Last time I visited the optometrist he ask me to read the bottom line of the eye chart. I proceeded to say, dot dot dot dot dot…Then I asked for a pair of binoculars!

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

🐇🐇🐇

Good morning everyone and Happy Wednesday.  The weather is going to be crazy over the next few days. Wind this afternoon then rain then this is forecasted for the early morning: ❄️  We’ll see what happens, if it does it’ll be the 3rd time this winter and I don’t ever remember snow in March. 

Pigs are very messy. I remember when I would stay the weekend at one of my aunts in rural Eastern Colorado she would make me join my cousins in doing farm chores. One was calling the pigs when we fed them. They are smart and love to eat.  I like peanut butter but don’t eat it much anymore. I used to take it for lunch a lot. 

Debbie @dfish, those recipes look amazing. I’ll check them out but today I’m making pizza. I have dough in the fridge that I need to use up. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, I’m glad the Benedryl helped. I slept better last night and didn’t even have to take a second one at my waking hour in the middle of the night. 

Bruce @aliaschief, Happy Birthday!!  Enjoy your special day! 🎈🎈🎈

I’ve been to Saguenay twice and will look for my pictures after I post this. Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

I currently am "annoyed" about my flights home from Amsterdam in April.  HAL booked my air with American Airlines, but since the Amsterdam-London-Dallas flights are on British Airways I have to pay for seat selection!  Of course, the only truly American Airlines portion of the flight will be from Dallas to home.  I just have never paid to select my seat.  

We did a similar route last June. You don’t have to pay unless you want to. I booked us as business class and our seats were together from Venice to London. Then London to the US we were in window seats one behind the other in business class. If you don’t mind something like that you don’t need to pay, they just get assigned for you. You can also check 24 hours ahead and change the assignment online. 

• Like 15

Good Morning!

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit! 

Been a busy morning so far, took Holly (the dog) to daycare, she goes once a week just to be familiar with other people as she is fearful of other people and situations.  They have really been great helping her be a better canine companion, she gets to be the "office" dog and when we travel I have a safe place for her to stay!  Then over to Dad's for his morning care, he was alert and smiling today, ate his breakfast well, so should be a good day.  Now in a bit will take hubby for a colonoscopy, fingers crossed for no problems, (high family history for cancer, so he has these on a regular schedule).

The meal of the day looks good, but I think I will plan that for later in the week, when hubby can enjoy it.  Guess I celebrated National Peanut Butter day as I had some on toast for breakfast, before I knew it was the day!

The sun is shining here beautiful day maybe we are getting close to spring (yesterday we had a bit a snow when we got up).

Take care and wish you all well.

Denise

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Good morning to all.  Guess I started out the day "celebrating!"  I had peanut butter on my breakfast toast.  Really the only way I eat peanut butter.  My late DH was a kid all the time he was at home with his pb&j sandwiches.  Practically the only food type item that he would prepare for himself.

Our weather is truly "iffy" today.  Says it is snowing out according to my weather app, but the tiny amount that was on the ground when I got up is gone. Wish the weather would make up its' mind, either snow or we would have decent weather.  Of course, mountain areas are still getting lots, so that is good for the summer water conditions.  But who knows if Lakes Powell and Mead will start to refill with this year's snowpack?!

My special prayers for those whose DH's are undergoing special challenges.  With the multiple years that my DH had home hospice care, I truly understand.  We find out what difficulties we can overcome.  I did things I had never before had to accomplish.  

@aliaschief, Happy Birthday.  Congratulations to all others celebrating special events!

@marshhawk, I will join you in upcoming cruise questions.  On my TA on the Rotterdam we will be transiting the Atlantic for multiple days.  I have the HIA, which includes wi-fi.  I have never had wi-fi before on any cruise, so I am unsure what happens.  Since my oldest step-son will be having his kidney removal during that period, will I be able to receive either texts or emails about the surgery?  Or will I have to wait till we get to England to have any communication?  Sorry I am so clueless, but have never been out of touch for so long.  Also, I know the step-kids will want to know how this 80/81 year old woman is doing traveling solo.

Have a great day, everyone!

Mary Kay

We always pay to reserve our seats because we want to be together on British based airlines.

Usually a lot of people just take the seat allocated to them for free especially if they are traveling alone.

This is British airways.

Screenshot_20230301_181556.jpg

Screenshot_20230301_181413.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Since my oldest step-son will be having his kidney removal during that period, will I be able to receive either texts or emails about the surgery?

Although wifi can be sitting on a TA,  you will be able to send and receive emails.  If you both have iPhones you can text for free using the wifi.  You may both want to consider downloading WhatsApp so you can make wifi calls too.

My husband’s favorite sandwich is a PBJ. I like peanut butter on raw sweet potatoes ( and apples and bananas).92C5B20E-C0BE-448B-AFA9-B3FE1C9458C5.jpeg.c0ff61ff515d2f42bcfe64e14e82e350.jpeg

Poditive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

From my post on May 13, 2021:

I wanted to jump in with some Saguenay pictures.  I shared a few when the St. Lawrence River was the port.  I really loved Saguenay and am happy that it is on our itinerary for our October 2022 cruise.

The three of us (DH, DM, and myself) were on the Eurodam, New York to Quebec City.  On September 4, 2009 we were met at the dock in Saguenay by locals, it was quite a celebration:

IMG_1086.thumb.JPG.6cd928e8390460a2f820e0d3feb15b9e.JPG

We were the first cruise ship to dock at the new cruise terminal:

IMG_1108.thumb.JPG.3f8c993289d176dbb0cfd25dae98e973.JPG

There were a lot of activities going on.  You could choose to participate if you wanted:IMG_1095.thumb.JPG.4e666b95ccc149b5c50b22fc63c2c521.JPG

IMG_1097.thumb.JPG.a19e07d58a029329ddedffdf4e226c22.JPG

IMG_1093.thumb.JPG.77b68ca825e3d2fc27a55b2f88b24675.JPG

IMG_1095.thumb.JPG.4e666b95ccc149b5c50b22fc63c2c521.JPG

This was French Class but I think they taking a break and eating lunch.  Behind them you can see part of the lovely town:

IMG_1096.thumb.JPG.66ed14f72073dbc98942ef245b8b1688.JPG

The wine was flowing for the celebration:

IMG_1094.thumb.JPG.60ef1c734042a14093e8b47244306b29.JPG

We didn't have anything planned this day so we walked around a bit and visited this church.  Sorry, I don't remember the name.

IMG_1101.thumb.JPG.9102d9ecf9d4618f2262f4245f7bc67d.JPG

IMG_1102.thumb.JPG.d05c1936bb79f72c6c9c3a57a3d029b7.JPG

Time to get back on board to sail away:IMG_1105.thumb.JPG.8d422a3a843c79245989ac9868d8d924.JPG

It was my Mother's Birthday and that evening at dinner she was serenaded.  (I wish I could remember the lady's name on the right.)

IMG_1141.thumb.JPG.ec4b1bbac53d98620db9421261cf985c.JPG

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

From my post on May 13, 2021:

I wanted to jump in with some Saguenay pictures.  I shared a few when the St. Lawrence River was the port.  I really loved Saguenay and am happy that it is on our itinerary for our October 2022 cruise.

The three of us (DH, DM, and myself) were on the Eurodam, New York to Quebec City.  On September 4, 2009 we were met at the dock in Saguenay by locals, it was quite a celebration:

IMG_1086.thumb.JPG.6cd928e8390460a2f820e0d3feb15b9e.JPG

We were the first cruise ship to dock at the new cruise terminal:

IMG_1108.thumb.JPG.3f8c993289d176dbb0cfd25dae98e973.JPG

There were a lot of activities going on.  You could choose to participate if you wanted:IMG_1095.thumb.JPG.4e666b95ccc149b5c50b22fc63c2c521.JPG

IMG_1097.thumb.JPG.a19e07d58a029329ddedffdf4e226c22.JPG

IMG_1093.thumb.JPG.77b68ca825e3d2fc27a55b2f88b24675.JPG

IMG_1095.thumb.JPG.4e666b95ccc149b5c50b22fc63c2c521.JPG

This was French Class but I think they taking a break and eating lunch.  Behind them you can see part of the lovely town:

IMG_1096.thumb.JPG.66ed14f72073dbc98942ef245b8b1688.JPG

The wine was flowing for the celebration:

IMG_1094.thumb.JPG.60ef1c734042a14093e8b47244306b29.JPG

We didn't have anything planned this day so we walked around a bit and visited this church.  Sorry, I don't remember the name.

IMG_1101.thumb.JPG.9102d9ecf9d4618f2262f4245f7bc67d.JPG

IMG_1102.thumb.JPG.d05c1936bb79f72c6c9c3a57a3d029b7.JPG

Time to get back on board to sail away:IMG_1105.thumb.JPG.8d422a3a843c79245989ac9868d8d924.JPG

It was my Mother's Birthday and that evening at dinner she was serenaded.  (I wish I could remember the lady's name on the right.)

IMG_1141.thumb.JPG.ec4b1bbac53d98620db9421261cf985c.JPG

Thanks for the lovely photos Sharon.

• Like 5