My side-to-side from the Oasis to the Grandeur

pcur

Interesting move, huh?  Like most would think it was "feast to famine", but I was very pleasantly surprised.

I loved the Oasis, loved it!  Food in the Coastal Kitchen amazing, especially with my waiter, Joaquim.  He "adopted" me, and started reciting my order to me before I ordered.  He usually got it right.  We might have had several, "You want baked Alaska"; "No, I'm not fond of Baked Alaska; I want cheesecake"; "but, you will like the Baked Alaska, too.  I will bring you both"; "Nooo, too MUCH!!". Then he would look at me like I was crazy and go to the kitchen..........

The dock was a zoo yesterday.  It took walking up and down, asking multiple port staff, bus drivers, RCCL pier coordinators, until I finally found the little group of side-to-side passengers.  I remember some comedy show, maybe "LaVerne and Shirley" where they would shuffle in lockstep.  That was us:  "Oh, it's the red bus over there".  Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle.  Nope, not the red bus.  "Oh, it's the white van that literally looks like a US Postal van with a luggage trailer (seriously)".  Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle.  It was the right one.  

At the Grandeur, I adopted Miguel and Karen, after they told me the last time they did this they sat in the hot Miami sun for over an hour because they weren't allowed in the terminal yet.  I said, "You are now my travel companions; what are your names?"  We went in the Suites/Pinnacle entrance and were on the ship in 12 minutes.  They were a little dazed.

Miguel grabbed my little "tower of luggage", and would NOT release it to me until we arrived at my cabin 3+ hours later.

Lunch in the Windjammer was good.

This sweet, little ship is as good as you can get for being an elderly lady.  Well maintained, SUPER crew, and unbelievably efficient.  I got to my cabin, and I wish I had a revolving door on it.  A parade of cabin attendant and room service for 45 minutes. It's like you open the door and some kind of Bat Signal goes out, and the water, wine, fruit and cheese, cabin attendant start knocking on the door.  I have one more delivery, because I finally put the DND sign out. But, they tried..............

Comfy mattress:  a big plus.

Dinner in MTD was very good, AND there was not a mob of people waiting in line to get in at 6:55, which was 10 minutes after they opened.  If there was a mob waiting until opening, they were whisked in and seated by the time I got there.  THAT surprised me.  I have been on 6 ships in the last year and this is the first without the mob scene at the door to MTD.

Walking through the Centrum after dinner, the RCCL band were slaying the old Big Band song, "Sing, Sing, Sing", complete with a topnotch drum solo.  I don't care what kind of music you may like, NO ONE doesn't enjoy that old song, or seeing "In the Mood" played well live.  And, the small band were having a VERY fun time playing Sing, too.

I missed the open promenade deck when I was on the Anthem, Allure, and Oasis.  The deck with loungers and chairs, where you can sit and watch the ocean, the sail-away, the dock runners late for the ship.  I like that deck and was happy to see it again.  I LOVED the Anthem, Allure, and Oasis; but, I really like that quieter outside deck .

And, the BEST is today:  Key West!!  I think (???) the Grandeur is the only RCCL ship that can still dock in Key West.  Looking forward to the frozen Key Lime pie on a stick today...............I have to send pictures as I eat to my friend who loves it, too.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Don't think we could ever make that move, maybe from Grandeur to Oasis, but never the way you are doing it. Major let down. 😞

Could you have done it the other way?

We did Oasis to Majesty a few years ago, it was a big difference but a nice difference too, it seems that the bigger the ship the more decks are for cabins so once I've got a chair out on deck I'm happy.

Question for PCUR, we are doing a side to side in a few weeks time, from Liberty to Brilliance, does the ship give guidance on doing it as when I've emailed RCI they've just told me to debark one ship and embark the next one?

• Like 2

We did the opposite in December.  We started with Grandeur for 9 nights and then moved to Oasis.  We actually preferred Grandeur although we ate well on Oasis with the UDP.  We missed the ocean on Oasis even with a oceanview balcony cabin.  Grandeur was just so much more intimate. It was fun to do 2 ends of the fleet and we had no disappointment either way.  It was really a great trip. Airfare has become so expensive from Dallas that when we fly we are going to make it worthwhile.  

We did miss the side to side transportation. We asked off the ship several times and were told no and finally got in the cab line and paid $20 to get us to the next terminal. It was 1.5 miles and not walkable or we’d have walked it.  

• Like 2

While we have never done a side to side between ships we have been on Enchantment and Oasis and I have to say we enjoyed Enchantment MUCH more than Oasis.  We might be the odd ones but we just found Enchantment to be much more of an intimate experience.  We connected with the crew much more and the ability to enjoy the ocean views much more made our sailing much more relaxing.  We 100% understand the appeal of Oasis, but I did not get that 'WOW' feeling on her at all.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pcur said:

Interesting move, huh?  Like most would think it was "feast to famine", but I was very pleasantly surprised.

I loved the Oasis, loved it!  Food in the Coastal Kitchen amazing, especially with my waiter, Joaquim.  He "adopted" me, and started reciting my order to me before I ordered.  He usually got it right.  We might have had several, "You want baked Alaska"; "No, I'm not fond of Baked Alaska; I want cheesecake"; "but, you will like the Baked Alaska, too.  I will bring you both"; "Nooo, too MUCH!!". Then he would look at me like I was crazy and go to the kitchen..........

The dock was a zoo yesterday.  It took walking up and down, asking multiple port staff, bus drivers, RCCL pier coordinators, until I finally found the little group of side-to-side passengers.  I remember some comedy show, maybe "LaVerne and Shirley" where they would shuffle in lockstep.  That was us:  "Oh, it's the red bus over there".  Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle.  Nope, not the red bus.  "Oh, it's the white van that literally looks like a US Postal van with a luggage trailer (seriously)".  Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle.  It was the right one.  

At the Grandeur, I adopted Miguel and Karen, after they told me the last time they did this they sat in the hot Miami sun for over an hour because they weren't allowed in the terminal yet.  I said, "You are now my travel companions; what are your names?"  We went in the Suites/Pinnacle entrance and were on the ship in 12 minutes.  They were a little dazed.

Miguel grabbed my little "tower of luggage", and would NOT release it to me until we arrived at my cabin 3+ hours later.

This sweet, little ship is as good as you can get for being an elderly lady.  Well maintained, SUPER crew, and unbelievably efficient.  I got to my cabin, and I wish I had a revolving door on it.  A parade of cabin attendant and room service for 45 minutes. It's like you open the door and some kind of Bat Signal goes out, and the water, wine, fruit and cheese, cabin attendant start knocking on the door.  I have one more delivery, because I finally put the DND sign out. But, they tried..............

Dinner in MTD was very good, AND there was not a mob of people waiting in line to get in at 6:55, which was 10 minutes after they opened.  If there was a mob waiting until opening, they were whisked in and seated by the time I got there.  THAT surprised me.  I have been on 6 ships in the last year and this is the first without the mob scene at the door to MTD.

Walking through the Centrum after dinner, the RCCL band were slaying the old Big Band song, "Sing, Sing, Sing", complete with a topnotch drum solo.  I don't care what kind of music you may like, NO ONE doesn't enjoy that old song, or seeing "In the Mood" played well live.  And, the small band were having a VERY fun time playing Sing, too.

I missed the open promenade deck when I was on the Anthem, Allure, and Oasis.  The deck with loungers and chairs, where you can sit and watch the ocean, the sail-away, the dock runners late for the ship.  I like that deck and was happy to see it again.  I LOVED the Anthem, Allure, and Oasis; but, I really like that quieter outside deck .

And, the BEST is today:  Key West!!  I think (???) the Grandeur is the only RCCL ship that can still dock in Key West.  Looking forward to the frozen Key Lime pie on a stick today...............I have to send pictures as I eat to my friend who loves it, too.

Was just at Key West on Jewel in 2022, I'm doing it again on Radiance and Serenade. Enchantment also does a few KW. Grandeur, my first and Second 10nite Cruises over 2 Decades ago. Was hooked as until this yr hadnt done anything less then 10+ niter in 21yrs. Was while ago but had great Kids Program back then, some of my Kids oldest Memories onboard her and Enchantment 1997-2002.

2 hours ago, mafig said:

Um, we have Serenade booked, and Key West is on our itinerary.🤔

Serenade (actually any of the RCL Vision or Radiance class ships) can dock there. It is a size thing...

• Like 1

I might add doing a side to side was really fun.  Although you have to pack and get off one ship, it was fun to do a completely different cruise the second week instead of doing a back to back.  We have more B2B’s booked ahead but won’t be afraid to do a side a side again.

Recently did 9ish weeks of cruising going from Vision to Harmony to Grandeur to Oasis. I don’t know if I’ll do another Vision class again unless it’s an amazing itinerary. Really disliked the lack of refrigerator/cooler in the inside stateroom (stayed in a grand, junior, and interior)

Loved the b2b process on Grandeur, not so much on Oasis.

Grandeur and Vision, great sea views in both CL and SL

Can’t say the same for either Harmony or Oasis

The Oasis class wins me over with the availability of entertainment. I love, love, love the aqua shows.

As far as service and food quality in the MDR, both were great.

14 hours ago, pcur said:

Went there on Jewel in January

10 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Was just at Key West on Jewel in 2022, I'm doing it again on Radiance and Serenade. Enchantment also does a few KW. Grandeur, my first and Second 10nite Cruises over 2 Decades ago. Was hooked as until this yr hadnt done anything less then 10+ niter in 21yrs. Was while ago but had great Kids Program back then, some of my Kids oldest Memories onboard her and Enchantment 1997-2002.

Glad to hear there are other RCCL ships that go to KW.  I'll look into that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Don't think we could ever make that move, maybe from Grandeur to Oasis, but never the way you are doing it. Major let down. 😞

Could you have done it the other way?

No, the Grandeur is a "bridge cruise" to get me to 3/10 and Port Everglades for a cruise with my sister for my birthday.  It's the only one I could find.  

I'm quite happy on this cruise, but being back to the MDR, I'm again experiencing some food quality issues.  I am NOT picky, but the snow peas and asparagus risotto, was cold risotto, lukewarm asparagus, and not a single snow pea:  they gave me cold pea soup on top of the risotto.  A HUGE, HUGE difference from the same exact dish in the CK last week.

But, I actually like my cabin better on this ship than the Oasis.  Much more storage space than my inside cabin on the Oasis.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Went there on Jewel in January

I ended up on the Grandeur for the exact dates I needed to stay in FL until 3/10/23.  Then, I'm on the Vision for 10 nights.

21 minutes ago, pcur said:

I ended up on the Grandeur for the exact dates I needed to stay in FL until 3/10/23.  Then, I'm on the Vision for 10 nights.

Grandeur and Vision, you are on a roll. Bring back Monarch of the Seas and you would have a trifecta. 😉

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Grandeur and Vision, you are on a roll. Bring back Monarch of the Seas and you would have a trifecta. 😉

Buuuut, I have fallen in love with the Anthem, the Oasis, and the Allure, too.  I guess I'm "cruise ship eclectic".  

• Like 2

Nice. We cruise 5 times a year and some years both these sizes. For example last year Oasis and Enchantment. We just love them for different things. Besides on smaller ships we usually do 12 dayers to Southern Caribbean and on Oasis class itineraries are much weaker 

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, welshrich said:

We did Oasis to Majesty a few years ago, it was a big difference but a nice difference too, it seems that the bigger the ship the more decks are for cabins so once I've got a chair out on deck I'm happy.

Question for PCUR, we are doing a side to side in a few weeks time, from Liberty to Brilliance, does the ship give guidance on doing it as when I've emailed RCI they've just told me to debark one ship and embark the next one?

Be proactive. I'm on my second consecutive side-to-side, and learning as I go.  Go to Customer Service on Day 1 and ask about the complimentary transfer.  They will notify the Transportation Coordinator to check on it.  Go back on Day 3 if you haven't received any information.  

Ask for specifics:  what is the transportation service used, so you can look for it.  Find a pier coordinator ( the person with the clipboard).  

On the Oasis my luggage tag was one of the last: 75. Easy to find my luggage, too.  I was off the ship by 9:30, had some issues finding the right shuttle, but was at the dock for the new ship by 10:30.

• Like 2

I have the reverse booked in 2025, Grandeur, then Oasis. Picked that combo because it gave me the widest variety of ports that I've yet to visit and a stop at Labadee while on Grandeur, then Coco Cay for Oasis.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SummerBeee said:

Recently did 9ish weeks of cruising going from Vision to Harmony to Grandeur to Oasis. I don’t know if I’ll do another Vision class again unless it’s an amazing itinerary. Really disliked the lack of refrigerator/cooler in the inside stateroom (stayed in a grand, junior, and interior)

Loved the b2b process on Grandeur, not so much on Oasis.

Grandeur and Vision, great sea views in both CL and SL

Can’t say the same for either Harmony or Oasis

The Oasis class wins me over with the availability of entertainment. I love, love, love the aqua shows.

As far as service and food quality in the MDR, both were great.

Pro tip:  The 16 Panoramic OV cabins midship on Decks 7 & 8 have refrigerators, although they are officially OV cabins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pcur said:

No, the Grandeur is a "bridge cruise" to get me to 3/10 and Port Everglades for a cruise with my sister for my birthday.  It's the only one I could find.  

I'm quite happy on this cruise, but being back to the MDR, I'm again experiencing some food quality issues.  I am NOT picky, but the snow peas and asparagus risotto, was cold risotto, lukewarm asparagus, and not a single snow pea:  they gave me cold pea soup on top of the risotto.  A HUGE, HUGE difference from the same exact dish in the CK last week.

But, I actually like my cabin better on this ship than the Oasis.  Much more storage space than my inside cabin on the Oasis.

Which cabin do you have on Grandeur?

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Which cabin do you have on Grandeur?

4029.  Don't recommend.  It's got some kind of service room on possibly 2 sides.  The room itself is nice, and actually has more storage than the Oasis cabin I had.

13 hours ago, pcur said:

Glad to hear there are other RCCL ships that go to KW.  I'll look into that.

Do that, was actually one my more enjoyable stops that week. Celeb has been having a few stops there also, see them on Live Cam few times a month

3 hours ago, pcur said:

4029.  Don't recommend.  It's got some kind of service room on possibly 2 sides.  The room itself is nice, and actually has more storage than the Oasis cabin I had.

I NEVER book that far forward on Vision class ships.  🙂