A new kind of chair hog…

12 minutes ago, coaster said:

I wish they would move some of the Centrum events to the lounge aft of the Schooner bar on Vision and Radiance class ships. Larger seating area and the space goes unused most of the day.  Centrum does not have the proper capacity when ships are sailing near full these days. 

Agree. On the Jewel the Safari Club, Congo Bar and Zanzibar Lounge are all right there. Bar service and plenty of room.  

• Like 2

I think they use the Centrum due to several levels that people can watch from.  I agree seating gets tight.  Go early or stand.

I would have said no.  Since we’re just recovering from a pandemic, people in my personal space still make me a bit on edge.  Taking your seats when they knew you were up dancing is also rude and so rude to start an argument about it.  

Sharing table space is fine as long as you keep yours separate from mine.

What has changed in our society that makes people think they can bully their way around? 

Edited by cruiselvr04

1 hour ago, jk04 said:

I mean, the other side could have been her partner/friend that was in the pool or went to the restroom.  So, you just take someone else's seat because they get up momentarily? 

Not with me you don't, you get shoved off with my foot!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Even before covid, my spouse and I would not want to sit with some random person in a love seat. 

I fyou occupy the loveseat...IT IS TAKEN, "move on, this is not the sofa you're looking for"

18 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

...What has changed in our society that makes people think they can bully their way around? 

I don't want to get too off-topic, however; it's entitlement. It's believed to be caused by how one is treated by parents/authority figures, the media they consume, etc. Imagine always being told you can be whatever you want, never suffer consequences, and/or are treated as "special". They therefore always see themselves as such and "we" need/should cater to them.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, alfaeric said:

So we were sitting in the Centrum in one of the love seats. As a quick overview, the Centrum has individual seats and love seats normally arranged around a table in 4s. 

It was quite crowded with a band playing, and a large group next to us. All of a sudden one of them asks to squeeze in with us. While it’s a comfortable seat, we still think it’s just for two unless you are your own group. So we say no, and they get upset telling us they are seats for free and start to argue.  

That ends and we get up to dance for a while and another of their group goes and sits in our couch. We have left stuff there to return to after the song so it was clear it was taken. When we come back to sit, they tell us that it’s a seat for three and argue about it. For your group, fine, but I really don’t see that you should impose on us. Then they get mad at us. Seriously?  We get glares from them the rest of the time. 

Even before the pandemic, they are love seats for 2 nominally. 3 if you all know each other- not to force you way to sit with people you don’t know. Geez. 

OH, H*LL TO THE H*LL, NO!!  I would have just sat my butt down in my original spot and if I sat ON someone, so be it.  People, the "me first" tribe of people, will push things like this to the outer limits.  

HA, I would even take a hand written note and leave it on the chair, saying, "So sorry, but I think I peed on this seat.....too much alcohol."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

4 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

That just goes to show the vast differences in folks. I would feel incredibly awkward asking such a thing. I would also feel awkward being asked. I'm not sure if the asking is rudeness or confidence🤔 However, the negative behavior after the initial exchange is bad/rude/entitled behavior.

How about who wants a stranger sitting on top of them?

1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

I don't want to get too off-topic, however; it's entitlement. It's believed to be caused by how one is treated by parents/authority figures, the media they consume, etc. Imagine always being told you can be whatever you want, never suffer consequences, and/or are treated as "special". They therefore always see themselves as such and "we" need/should cater to them.

and a long with that comes he who is the loudest will get their way so as to turn off the noise.

I think overall folks push limits everywhere in life.

But I am very good at being my  own guard dog and snapping at rudeness.   

It is the height of rudeness to climb on a recliner that is wide enough for two and you are not with that person.   Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

• Like 1

This reminds me of rude behavior I witnessed at the Aqua show on one of the Oasis class ships several years ago. An older couple were seated at the end the end of one of the benches, with a minimal amount of space to their right. A woman squeezed into that space and the couple moved closer together. After a few minutes, an older woman handed a baby to the seated woman.  A few minutes after that, she brought over a 3 or 4-year old child and the first woman sat the child next to her. The older couple squeezed even closer together. Finally, the older woman picked up the child, sat in the small space he had occupied, and held him.  By the end of the show, the older child was seated between the two women and the older couple were just about falling off the end of the bench, looking miserably uncomfortable. 

I am polite, always.  Well, almost always. Me, on the elevator.  Doors open to a mob of people.  No one will move to let me off, because they don't want to miss their opportunity to get on.  I pick my target:  young adult, healthy looking, slurping a soft-serve cone (bonus points for dropped ice cream maybe?).  I start plowing through the mob and smack into the side of that woman.  She's calling out "OW" loudly behind me.  I'm smiling..................... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

18 hours ago, phd1003 said:

Appalling...Has covid not taught us anything. If there is an event in one of those smaller venues like the one pictured, Wife and I will go early so we can get one of those seats and we will play cribbage until the show starts. Then the mad rush when the show starts and people will ask to use the single seats which is fine until they position them directly in front of us instead of off to the side. On some occasions people will sit on the floor in front of us and then place all there empty drinks on the table in front of us leaving no space for our own drinks. I'm all for sharing but please don't abuse it.

What does Covid have to do with sharing a table.  Plus were those chairs in the front row already?  If so, than why not sit in those, to insure you have the front?  Plus personally, if two seats are empty, we take them, no need to even ask.  It's not yours to ask for. 

Once on our 10 day to Hawaii on Legend, we went Solarium in the afternoon and it was so crowded there were only 4 loungers empty but they had towels on them.  We stood waiting for what seemed like forever, no one in the pool though.  Finally, we just removed the towels and sat down.  Immediately a guy got up from the table at which his party of 4 was playing cards and said those were their loungers.  I politely told him he couldn't do that.  Either you take the table and chairs or the loungers not both, this was 6 sea days you can't hog these loungers.  He argued and argued but we did not vacate the loungers.  They could glower at us for the rest of the cruise but I will not tolerate that kind of entitlement nor such inconsiderate behavior.  That was my only encounter with hogs in 25 yrs of cruising though.  Stand your ground.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, alfaeric said:

So we were sitting in the Centrum in one of the love seats. As a quick overview, the Centrum has individual seats and love seats normally arranged around a table in 4s. 

It was quite crowded with a band playing, and a large group next to us. All of a sudden one of them asks to squeeze in with us. While it’s a comfortable seat, we still think it’s just for two unless you are your own group. So we say no, and they get upset telling us they are seats for free and start to argue.  

That ends and we get up to dance for a while and another of their group goes and sits in our couch. We have left stuff there to return to after the song so it was clear it was taken. When we come back to sit, they tell us that it’s a seat for three and argue about it. For your group, fine, but I really don’t see that you should impose on us. Then they get mad at us. Seriously?  We get glares from them the rest of the time. 

Even before the pandemic, they are love seats for 2 nominally. 3 if you all know each other- not to force you way to sit with people you don’t know. Geez. 

Creepy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Once on our 10 day to Hawaii on Legend, we went Solarium in the afternoon and it was so crowded there were only 4 loungers empty but they had towels on them.  We stood waiting for what seemed like forever, no one in the pool though.  Finally, we just removed the towels and sat down.  Immediately a guy got up from the table at which his party of 4 was playing cards and said those were their loungers.  I politely told him he couldn't do that.  Either you take the table and chairs or the loungers not both, this was 6 sea days you can't hog these loungers.  He argued and argued but we did not vacate the loungers.  They could glower at us for the rest of the cruise but I will not tolerate that kind of entitlement nor such inconsiderate behavior.  That was my only encounter with hogs in 25 yrs of cruising though.  Stand your ground.

After sitting an hour, someone informed me that I was in their chair.  I tossed the towel over a few chairs.  Wanted to know how?  I was there for an hour?  

On 3/8/2023 at 11:55 AM, alfaeric said:

That would end poorly for them if that had been me. I am a remarkably patient and kind person when people make an error. When you confront me with narcissistic entitled behavior I can be your worst enemy. That’ll end bad for them. OP you were more patient than I ever could have been. Kudos to you for your good attitude. 

• Like 4

On 3/8/2023 at 1:38 PM, davekathy said:

I was calling us chair hogs because we would never share a chair/seat of that size with a stranger. 🐷

You're not alone.  If some 'stranger' invaded our space [this goes for windjammer, solarium [beds], or any seating that normally is for intimate partys]...well, we'd just get up and leave.  It's happened to us in the windjammer...and yes it gets crowded there, but privacy is important and a stranger to just plop down at your table, that's RUDE!  Just like the 2 person loveseats in OP.  Yes, we see them as 2 person.  Whomever heard of a threesome in a love seat anyway?  Hmmm...how about sitting in the aisles of those small movie theaters on Serenade class ships?  

5 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

does my heart good to hear of a chair/lounge hogger getting caught!  

On 3/8/2023 at 1:20 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Share your table.  If it gets full, ask a bar server to clear it.  Sheesh.

On serenade last week bar servers were few far far between.. Tables had dirty glasses and sticky gunk from the drinks.  

13 hours ago, pcur said:

I am polite, always.  Well, almost always. Me, on the elevator.  Doors open to a mob of people.  No one will move to let me off, because they don't want to miss their opportunity to get on.  I pick my target:  young adult, healthy looking, slurping a soft-serve cone (bonus points for dropped ice cream maybe?).  I start plowing through the mob and smack into the side of that woman.  She's calling out "OW" loudly behind me.  I'm smiling..................... 

it’s like that at a certain amusement park here in Orlando.  I would always find that I had to move so people wouldn’t bump into me, finally I just didn’t move and guess what…they moved, and the times they didn’t, my shoulder hit them 😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

On serenade last week bar servers were few far far between.. Tables had dirty glasses and sticky gunk from the drinks.  

Wow, hate to hear that! We'll be on Serenade in a couple of weeks. I think I'll pack a baggie full of sanitized wipes in my pool bag/carry-on.🤔