Question for those that have used flights by Celebrity

cgolf1

So we are booking our fights using flights by Celebrity for a Galapagos trip and getting an education today. So we found the flights on the airline website to be a total of 100 dollars per person cheaper. When we call flights by Celebrity the price is either more expensive or that they can't find the same set of flights. The gave us an option to save 43 dollars per person but only gives us a 40 minute layover which could be shrunk for many reasons during the winter and having flown thru Phoenix many years ago, we know some airports have long paths to get to a connecting flight. The airport with the short layover is new to us.

What they told me was basically the charge extra to service the flight and guarantee getting us there if there are any flight issues and the fact that they defer payment. If we look at the airlines site that isn't the price we get from them. I will say if we didn't have the large flight credit this isn't the way we would go. 

Is this what others have encountered? Hopefully it all makes sense as I am a bit baffled.

Our "Flights by Celebrity" experience was terrible- we paid for upgrades that didn't materialize once we were on our first (16 hour!) flight.  It was torturous to get this straightened out, and would make me never use them again.  If you can cancel and rebook, I would.  If not, spend ALOT of time on the phone insisting on documentation from them AND the airlines.  In our case, while we tried to get documents from the airline, they kept saying they couldn't help us as we booked through a  "3rd Party" (Flights by Celebrity).  Expensive lesson learned.

• Like 1

We have used FBC in the past and for our Apex cruise in September. Once you understand what they can and can't do it makes navigating the process much easier. Not all available flights listed by the airline on their website is available on FBC. IMO FBC works better for booking business class seats and this is where they can save you a lot of money.  Also works best when you want to use one airline to depart and another airline to come home. For our Apex cruise we are flying from San Antonio to Amsterdam on United and flying home from Athens on American/British Airlines. We booked last November, and the RT cost was about $1000 less than flying on either airline RT direct. Today the cost difference is more like $2000. The other thing you need to know is until the airline tickets are paid for by Celebrity after final payment you cannot make changes direct with the airlines involved. For some airlines like American & BA you can't change your seats online, but when you book you can contact FBC by phone and they can get assigned seats.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

We have only ever used Celebrity fights, but these have all been for Mediterranean cruises. Flying out of the UK on embarkation day has always been trouble free. We will do the same this summer for our Reflection cruise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

So we are booking our fights using flights by Celebrity for a Galapagos trip and getting an education today. So we found the flights on the airline website to be a total of 100 dollars per person cheaper. When we call flights by Celebrity the price is either more expensive or that they can't find the same set of flights. The gave us an option to save 43 dollars per person but only gives us a 40 minute layover which could be shrunk for many reasons during the winter and having flown thru Phoenix many years ago, we know some airports have long paths to get to a connecting flight. The airport with the short layover is new to us.

What they told me was basically the charge extra to service the flight and guarantee getting us there if there are any flight issues and the fact that they defer payment. If we look at the airlines site that isn't the price we get from them. I will say if we didn't have the large flight credit this isn't the way we would go. 

Is this what others have encountered? Hopefully it all makes sense as I am a bit baffled.

We successfully used Flights by Celebrity for our Trans-Atlantic cruise late last year.  When I compared the cost of flights on FBC's website vs the airline website, I generally found good agreement in pricing. The explanation you received regarding why the FBC prices were higher is something I have not heard before.

I’ve used FBC a number of times but only when there has been a price advantage to do so.  If I can book the flights directly with the airline for the same price that’s what I do. 

As far as them not being able to match fares that may come down to the rep or perhaps fare class they are booking.  The last time FBC gave me a higher quote it was be a they were quoting a fare that included free luggage and seat selection.  Might be worth another call to see if you get a different result.  

15 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

This is something I have never heard about using FBC. The flights we have booked with them have been less than what we could do on our own, or I wouldn't have booked with them.

2 minutes ago, 39august said:

Terrydtx has explained it all pretty well. With the exception that Delta does allow seat changes prior to final pay on domestic flights. Some FBC prices are higher, some lower. You have to pick and choose. 

We have been able to view and change seats online with United, Lufthansa and Delta with no problems. What we have not been able to do directly with them is change a flight after the airline changes or cancels a flight we booked and changed us to an alternative flight we didn't like. In those cases, we have to go back to FBC to make the change. For example, in one case in 2021 Delta changed our departure day and flight that got us to the port after the ship would have sailed. A Call to FBC rectified the situation.

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

This is something I have never heard about using FBC. The flights we have booked with them have been less than what we could do on our own, or I wouldn't have booked with them.

The only reason we are using them is due to the 1500 airline credit we were given for the trip by Celebrity, but needed to use FBC. My wife priced out the exact flight before we called FBC and they said that us looking at the flight drove the price they were seeing up because we looked at a flight. So after we had called a second time, each of us once, she found the same cheaper price as before that they couldn't see. The second person also said us looking drove the price up and there view is real time, similar to the first person. 

The third time I called and asked why did they say us looking changed the price, but after they quoted higher we still found the same lower price. That was when they stated that they are 3rd party and we can't use the airlines site for price information. So we really got 3 answers and I am guessing the last is closer to the truth but who knows. The last person also said that the FBC website might not be accurate either as it doesn't update real time. So they didn't have an answer to how do we figure out when to call to get the lower price. 

That said thanks to the credit our flights are only costing us 388 bucks, so it could be worse.

8 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

For example, in one case in 2021 Delta changed our departure day and flight that got us to the port after the ship would have sailed. A Call to FBC rectified the situation.

This was one thing the third person we talked to said, that they provide this, emergency service he called it, if anything happens with the flights that the airlines as a general rule don't do for you.

We have never used a travel agent for flights, so maybe this was services that they provided in the past. Our cruise travel agent is mostly just for the extra OBC as they really don't do a lot for us anymore. When we sailed Disney though, I will say our agent did a lot for us when booking in an early window when new cruises were released. Celebrity we book our own and just have them transferred.

Edited by cgolf1

15 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

My wife priced out the exact flight before we called FBC and they said that us looking at the flight drove the price they were seeing up because we looked at a flight.

The second person also said us looking drove the price up and there view is real time, similar to the first person. 

What????????

Must be also happening with Celebrity's cruise fares.

Edited by mahdnc

12 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

This was one thing the third person we talked to said, that they provide this, emergency service he called it, if anything happens with the flights that the airlines as a general rule don't do for you.

Actually if the airline changed your flights itinerary to an unacceptable one, they will change to another acceptable one by calling them. The airlines can't do this if the flights were changed before FBC pays for the tickets, in this case only FBC can make the change.

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

What???

I've heard this before...but not for one person researching pricing, but when there are MANY' lookers', the computer system raises pricing according to presumed demand.  I think the cruise lines use the same logic.

2 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

My wife priced out the exact flight before we called FBC and they said that us looking at the flight drove the price they were seeing up because we looked at a flight.

I have heard this many times, the airlines use software that detects when anyone looks at flights and fares on their website. Airline prices are driven by demand, availability and interest and pricing is adjusted accordingly.

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I have heard this many times, the airlines use software that detects when anyone looks at flights and fares on their website. Airline prices are driven by demand, availability and interest and pricing is adjusted accordingly.

I need to start looking at my paycheck more often.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Generally not a fan of FBC for several reasons. The reservation agents are just that - reservation agents. They can't explain to you the algorithm for pricing tickets. 

It is totally possible that they can't see the same combination of flights and tickets as you are seeing. It is important to understand that there is not just one price for a ticket at any given moment. Some websites will have access to different fares or discounts. That same economy ticket on route A to B may be sold concurrently at several different prices. 

32 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

What????????

Must be also happening with Celebrity's cruise fares.

Actually I think it does. I have seen a cruise we have been looking at for a while jump up in down in price for an inside room by as much as 200 bucks total end price depending on the day while the same sale is going on. The good news for us that we sail insides we don't have to false book to see the price as they already show the lowest price for us when investigating the cruises during the date range we choose. 

We just got finished booking our December Galapagos RT flights through FBC. But it took 2 calls to make it happen.

The first call was painful, mostly because I think we got a new person. She initially couldn't even find a flight from our home airport. But after some assurances from us there was one, she was able to find it. Then, she said Delta only offered nonrefundable fares, even though they actually offered refundable fares for about $100 more. She then checked AA and their price was about $800 RT cheaper than Delta's and was refundable, which meant we didn't have to pay until FP. But when she tried to book the AA flight, it magically turned into a nonrefundable fare. So we thanked her for her efforts and said we'll call back later.

A few days later we called back to FBC and got a more seasoned rep who was able to easily book the AA flight and was able to get the refundable fare for about $880 each before applying the $1,500 credit we got from Celebrity for booking the Galapagos cruise. However, this rep also ran into the AA fare switching from refundable to nonrefundable when he tried to book it. But he simply put us on hold, made a call and magically it was converted back to being a refundable flight. 

Bottom line, as others have noted. If you're not getting satisfactory answers from a FBC rep, especially after doing your own research associated with the airlines you want to fly on, politely hang up and call back at a later date.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We just got finished booking our December Galapagos RT flights through FBC. But it took 2 calls to make it happen.

The first call was painful, mostly because I think we got a new person. She initially couldn't even find a flight from our home airport. But after some assurances from us there was one, she was able to find it. Then, she said Delta only offered nonrefundable fares, even though they actually offered refundable fares for about $100 more. She then checked AA and their price was about $800 RT cheaper than Delta's and was refundable, which meant we didn't have to pay until FP. But when she tried to book the AA flight, it magically turned into a nonrefundable fare. So we thanked her for her efforts and said we'll call back later.

A few days later we called back to FBC and got a more seasoned rep who was able to easily book the AA flight and was able to get the refundable fare for about $880 each before applying the $1,500 credit we got from Celebrity for booking the Galapagos cruise. However, this rep also ran into the AA fare switching from refundable to nonrefundable when he tried to book it. But he simply put us on hold, made a call and magically it was converted back to being a refundable flight. 

Bottom line, as others have noted. If you're not getting satisfactory answers from a FBC rep, especially after doing your own research associated with the airlines you want to fly on, politely hang up and call back at a later date.

Sounds like you finally got the results you wanted.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Nice to get the outcome you wanted.  We independently bought our air fare for our Nov Galapagos trip.  American Airlines had the most convenient schedule (connecting thru MIA), so we went with them.

• Like 1

We used Flights by Celebrity on our recent cruise, and I am very happy we did.

Cancellations and delays were dealt with quickly with every attempt to get us to the ship on time being made.  When it became obvious we would not make the port in time for embarkation, plans were made to get us from Fort Lauderdale to Miami, a hotel, a flight from Miami to Nassau the next morning, and a transfer from the Nassau airport to the cruise port were all arranged for us at no cost.  

There were approximately 27 people in total affected, and only about 8 were handled through FBC.  Those that didn't, had to research and find the info themselves, and book at their cost and then try and fight it out with the airlines later.  (I shared what FBC was doing so they had to do less digging but still had to arrange and pay for it themselves)

Worth every penny to me to use FBC