When is a 10, actually a 10?

4 hours ago, dunrobbin said:

We have always had great service on our previous Royal Caribbean cruises

Wonderful wait staff, coffee for hubby delivered with desert, cheese plate on the table, great room attendant.

Did all the above staff ask for a 10?     Yes they did! 

When asked in the survey, "did anyone ask you to score them a 10"  I say no they did not, because I was very happy with all that was done for us.

I did tell the guy in the lobby of the MDR (with the clipboard doing the survey)   asking "How was the meal,"  exactly what I thought, as in October last year, there were a few meals already with issues.

First cruise since the changes is May 7th on Brilliance to Alaska.

I have found with the survey, if you score high on any questions, you often do not get to make comments, even if you really want to.

Staff DO ask for a 10, because they have issues if they don't get a 10.

Not sure what I am going to do this time if  service sucks.  

The only voice we really have is through the survey.  I think I am just gonna be honest.

Question:  What did you do, and will it change?

If you aren't honest then Royal cannot improve.  They'll assume everything is fine when it's not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dunrobbin said:

The only voice we really have is through the survey.  I think I am just gonna be honest.

Question:  What did you do, and will it change?

If we are all not totally honest on the survey, (i.e. stop giving tens when not warranted), then the survey is pointless and a total waste of time and effort.

Edited by icsys
  • Like 4

I wish there were a better way to explain what exactly I'm unhappy with. These surveys are too high level and the comment boxes don't allow enough characters to go into everything that I'd like to say.

I'm sure that's by design. Royal's executives want to use the surveys as a cudgel on their employees and ignore that a lot of the dissatisfaction comes directly from their decisions.

I haven't ever had a dining team ask me more than once to give them a ten. The last cruise where there were sixteen of us, they mentioned it on the last night, but that was it. I gave them glowing reviews and even took their names to write commendations because we were a table of sixteen. 

My strategy has always been to get the names of those staff that have gone above and beyond and make sure I list them. Those we also give cash tips at the end. Anything we can do to help. Then I use the comment boxes if there is anything that needs attention, although hubby's idea on that is to tell them right away when they might have a chance of fixing the problem.

• Like 2

We just got off Voayger 2 weeks ago. On "speech night" our server said 'I know you are Diamond members, I know you've heard the speech many times and you don't want to hear it again but I'm required to say it." He said "I know you don't want to hear it so I won't go into the whole speech but I just wat to remind you that a good rating means a lot to us". With that he was done and we never heard another word about it. That alone deserved a 10.

37 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I wish there were a better way to explain what exactly I'm unhappy with. These surveys are too high level and the comment boxes don't allow enough characters to go into everything that I'd like to say ... 

My strategy has always been to get the names of those staff that have gone above and beyond and make sure I list them ... 

Agree with both comments.

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

We just got off Voayger 2 weeks ago. On "speech night" our server said 'I know you are Diamond members, I know you've heard the speech many times and you don't want to hear it again but I'm required to say it." He said "I know you don't want to hear it so I won't go into the whole speech but I just wat to remind you that a good rating means a lot to us". With that he was done and we never heard another word about it. That alone deserved a 10.

Who, exactly, required him to say/ask it?

The survey specifically asks if anyone has asked for a ten, a bit contradictory don't you think, if true?

That alone does NOT deserve a ten.

The survey asks if anyone asked you for a 10. You don't want to get them in trouble, so you say "no".

But what if they are required to ask for a 10, and by saying "no" you actually get them in trouble for not asking?

These things need to be overthought...

• Like 1

We are usually very happy with our service, but I feel the whole thing has gotten out of control. I dread eating in the MD on the last night. I just want to rush my meal and GTFO. They crank the volume on the audio system and yell into it, causing very bad distortion. The cheerleading is a over the top and the parading goes on far too long. It really just turns me off. 

Honestly, it just of spoils the whole experience from the rest of the week for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, icsys said:

Who, exactly, required him to say/ask it?

The survey specifically asks if anyone has asked for a ten, a bit contradictory don't you think, if true?

That alone does NOT deserve a ten.

I don't know who required it. Just the fact that he mentioned "the speech" and then cut it short (knowing we didn't want to hear it) leads me to believe they are told to mention it.

35 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

It really just turns me off. 

On my last cruise, the menu on the last night alone was enough to turn me off.  Ate dinner at the WJ and skipped the song and dance routine, cheerleading, and begging for 10s on the survey.