The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday March 16th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is Everything You Do is Right Day, Freedom of Information Day, and Giant Panda Bear Day

I don't want to go to heaven. None of my friends are there.--Oscar Wilde

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
Drink of the Day - Hornitos Black Barrel Tequila Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand
Destination of the Day - Coquimbo, La Serena, Chile

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 3-17

Koningsdam

Nuku Hiva Island, Taiohae, Marquesas French Polynesia 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Oranjestad, Aruba 07:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 3-17

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Cape Horn, Chile Antarctica eta 3-17

Rotterdam

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos 07:00 - 18:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 3-17

Zaandam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 3-18

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Luderitz, Namibia eta 3-17

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Fiordland National Park, New Zealand 07:00 - 08:00

Westerdam

Tokushima, Shikoku Island, Japan 07:00 - 18:00

image.thumb.png.d1ecc12e1be3ab9531efaa149750986d.png

image.thumb.png.ea02de5f7667d9627e5c3d63ea692119.png

Sandi for Rich and Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 13

Good morning friends!  Well, it took me an extra 10 minutes to post this morning thanks to my slower than normal computer.  I updated it last night as it demanded, plus I woke up 5 minutes later this morning.  I predict today will be a sluggish day.  The weather is 34F but it will be sunny and 67 later on.  

I will try to get back on track now.  Thanks to Rich @richwmn  for compiling the Daily material for us.  I had three ports to alter due to new itineraries.  We have three more positive days to celebrate than yesterday's.  Everything You Do is Right Day should be popular among all of us.  It doesn't feel that way yet but the day is young, very young!  Then we have Freedom of Information Day and Giant Panda Bear Day.  I'm all for those days and know you will agree.  I have heard the quote before and don't like it at all.  Most people I've known are in heaven!  The slow cooker whole chicken sounds great to me.  No thanks to the drink, but the Sauvignon Blanc sounds fantastic.  Thanks in advance to Debbie @dfish, Ann @cat shepard, and Dixie @summer slope.

I'm sure Vanessa @JazzyV will be along soon with the Care and Celebration lists.  Many prayers for all on our list and others in need. RIP to the entertainer on the Volendam who passed away this past week.  Very sad!  Congrats to those on the Celebration list and I hope that one keeps growing.  Bon Voyage to those heading out to cruise, and for those coming home soon I hope it was a great cruise.  

Our port today is Coquimbo, La Serena, Chile and this is the third time it has been presented here.  In case you missed it we will show you our photos again.  The last times were Oct. 13, 2021 and Oct. 28, 2022 and the links are below.

Here is my post the last two times we had Coquimbo as our port of the day.

We stopped in Coquimbo, Chile on two of our South America cruises.  Once in 2012 on Star Princess and again in 2015 on Ruby Princess. 

Coquimbo, Chile on March 5, 2015, Star Princess circumnavigation of South America.  Arrival at the pier and a group of dancers to entertain us.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJcKxpIA7aYElBU-YT5nI_q?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216663

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIN2-p3rJZsJoSDWXGvqfN9?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216669

From the ship you could walk through a small marketplace set up for the tourists.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKjeaYEKb6aLpP6UFZlk3xD?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216672

Just offshore this seemingly abandoned boat, except for the birds aboard.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJkzeYtdBMM1CymkKnA_AKn?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216676

Besides birds there was plenty of other wildlife hanging around looking for a handout.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrbN4IrOaOz-uFbmHaLk6S?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216690

Local fishermen checking their nets.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKxvbx_cZdJIN89hu_mwpzs?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216698

The result of those nets00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKwtqKa7iUWSnTmOdFFddUX?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216700

This mom was happy to show off her chubby-cheeked baby.  Awww!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKSPFaseTKbblvf3TRvZjz5?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216718

On our walk back we noticed the sidewalk area was decorated with these designs.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJVxJZcYUbPnIQwntbCoI6i?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216720

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIvKJAC1Y_pTOloUD-DqPce?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216720

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJSl3KjmAeCQeIVmIB_VdoF?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216723

This cross on the hillside is called the Third Millennium cross.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKId-ayjZIDUxovBQnm3i2i?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1427216735

Our 2012 trip to Coquimbo on Star Princess included a shuttle bus to drive us to the La Serena area.  When we were dropped off it was rather quiet but things moved along as the morning went on.  Our friend who was also on this cruise looked hard for a place to make a phone call to her mother who was not in the greatest health.  She eventually found a place where you could rent a computer or place phone calls using her calling card.  At that time a lot of us didn't have cell phones with international calling plans.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNswgGTnV3IqerWu36mMu4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643714

You can see how deserted the streets and parks were. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJX783n4lTiwsn59hV48bt4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643715

An interesting modern-art type fountain with figures.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL6GVUYISlYqd1c99otj-tC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643726

We decided the gardeners here didn't want their flowers eaten by hungry marauders and placed sticker bush branches over them.  What do you think about that idea, garden club members?  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKSNScOLmzNM42PAxL6XrdC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643730

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJkbwS06O9C3Woy3MV_VV1I?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643753

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLzP9LC4jLhhss8LsUGEcJM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643764

I've checked and this date was a Sunday, so perhaps everyone was already at church.  Or sleeping in.  As we walked to the market near the Plaza de Armas we noticed most of the pedestrians looked like tourists.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKlB4leZeNnr9vb3Wx0a03u?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643781

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ-CwvkoJxjTIfAHrk5WfPq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643794

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJtWgQKGX7zL9tmOTOwAhyC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643799

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJbDkznfm5wDFZk8ElpgyTy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643788

After our excursion to the shopping mecca, we arrived back at the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKGKmhqSl2IFYSBbWai_H-x?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643833

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLAFOCFaHQ4JIZQ4nONFsFR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643823

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL2sOZMs6HP3SaRJsTk1BpS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332643836

An interesting spot to explore while visiting South America.  

I hope this day turns out to be a terrific Thursday for you all.  Stay safe!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.

It is currently 48°F and raining here in North East England at 09.50am.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for posting today's reports and all of your wonderful photos.

I hope everything I do is right.

A big shout out for Giant Pandas as they are an endangered species.

I don't agree with today's quote as I'm sure we all want to go to Heaven.

Today's food sounds good.

Today's wine a New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon blanc is my favourite wine.

Prayers 🙏 for good health to all Dailyites.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report and I hope everyone has a great day!

This will be my last post here for a while. We are leaving early tomorrow morning for Florida, then cruising on the NA on Saturday. 

IMG_1449.JPG

Best wishes for a Wonderful cruise.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

A very nice day in the forecast for us today.  We should stay above freezing all day, I'm sure a lot of snow will melt.  Sounds like a good day to go out and run errands, I need to pick up a few groceries and go to the post office to get the mail.

Great collection of days.  I like it when everything I do is right.  Giant pandas are terrific.  Freedom of Information is important in a free society.

I don't like the quote either, anyone I care about will be in heaven and that's where I want to be.  I know Wilde wanted to provoke a laugh, but I'll pass on this bit of humour.

Love the meal suggestion, looking forward to seeing recipes.

I think I'll like the drink and the wine.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia

RMLincoln and DH testing positive for Covid

Durangoscots recovering from the crud

Ktbraun upcoming Cardiologist appointment

Difficult days for Jacqui (kazu)

Citizens of Ukraine/CA deluged by snow and rain

From the rotation:

Jacqui recovering from elbow surgery

RMLincoln’s DH’s sensitivity to glaucoma meds and upcoming surgery

Tana’s pulmonary issues 

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shout outs:

StLouisCruiser’s DGS Ren accepting a place on the Dallas Soccer League Team

Good podiatrist visit for Roy

Luvteaching’s DH doing well and being discharged today!

Smitty34877’s new aide for Tana

Cruzin Terri’s bathroom nearing completion

Many Dailyites planning cruises

1 Day for RedneckBob (Celebrity Constellation 3/17 to 3/27)

2 Days for DWAliaschief’s sisters cruise (Rotterdam 3/18 to3/29)

2 Days for Seagarsmoker (N Statendam 3/18 to 3/25)

5 Days for Kplady (Grand Princess 3/21 to 4/28)

ottahand7 and Lindaler (Volendam to 3/18), Suslor (Zaandam to 3/18), Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas 3/19), Seasick Sailor and 57redbird (Koningsdam to 3/25), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

24 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

This will be my last post here for a while. We are leaving early tomorrow morning for Florida, then cruising on the NA on Saturday. 

IMG_1449.JPG

Have a great cruise on the NA!  I am looking forward to being on the NA in April 2024.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Happy March Hump Day.  I think many of us will be happy when the other half of March is gone and we get into April headed for spring.  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie, and Dixie.  Bon Voyage @seagarsmoker.  Love the days but will pass on the quote.  Coquimbo is a great port, it looks like I've been there 3 times.  I won't have a whole chicken tonight but am planning on Chicken Parmesan.

@StLouisCruisers, did the sluggish computer get the best of you this morning.    I'm pretty sure Volendam is skipping HMC and going straight to Fort Lauderdale.  Marine Traffic agrees with that.

Did not sleep quite as well last night but almost.

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Sandi thank you for getting us started! Rich, thank you for making sure the Report & Daily continue while you tour the World!

The Eastern sky is just starting to get light. And it is a bit nippier than yesterday. 42 but once the sun comes up that will change quickly. Hoping the wind of the past two days dies down. 

Vanessa, thank you for tending our Cares & Celebration lists. You do it so well that Roy is really able to relax and focus on getting better. 

Just Zumba, Bindi & Emma walks, change the batteries in my last two smoke detectors and continue tax prep. If the wind dies down, I might head out to the yard to get rid of some dead vegetation. 

AE4A36B8-143F-431C-BF26-C776E216CFDF.jpeg.e11f608888fff804f3dc688566e9badb.jpeg

C2E28F86-BEC5-48D1-A398-517D6E21E575.jpeg.a35f5351bd8ce1288b07fe1df7b9ff01.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand

I have tried this SB and it is decent. I prefer it with food, though. The last vintage with critic reviews is the 2019 vintage and it had very good reviews. Consumers also give it very good reviews. Easy to find - the 2021 vintage’s price starts at $10.49.

Winemaker Notes

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc is vibrant and refreshing with tropical fruit flavors like pineapple, elderflower, cantaloupe, citrus, and herbal notes. Always fresh and crisp.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 6

Hornitos Black Barrel Tequila Old Fashioned  cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Hornitos® Black Barrel® Tequila
1 part Simple Syrup
1/2 part Amaro Liqueur
2 dashes Bitters
2 dashes Orange Bitters
Orange Peel

Instructions
Combine simple syrup, Hornitos® Black Barrel® Tequila, amaro and bitters. Add ice and stir. Strain over fresh ice and garnish with an orange peel.

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 7.41.02 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

thanks for our Thursday Daily, Sandi.

I would love a day where everything I do is right - doesn’t seem that way as of late so I’ll welcome the change 😘 Hurrah for freedom of information and the giant pandas. 👍 

I get a kick out of the Wilde quote - I disagree with it but it seems to match him.  I agree with @cat shepardNobilo is best with food although I have been known to enjoy a glass without food on the BHB’s 😉 

I did get to physio yesterday, thankfully and my chauffeur was kind enough to take me to my accountants to execute the documents for the taxes and estate.  Unfortunately, the thoughtfulness to back the car up to the top of the driveway to keep me from slipping resulted in a bang to the garage.  Fortunately, it was just the metal trim and a bit of paint will fix it, I think.

Somehow, I didn’t get on the Daily - I was beat after our trip - not sure if it was the emotions of the tax returns, the bill or the physio.

I have no ride arranged for physio next week.  I go after I see my surgeon and if he tells me I can’t drive yet, I might tell him to cut off my arm.  I am tired of being a hermit in my house.  Trying to remind myself…

9F9D91A8-DB5B-4AAC-A6D6-E52B9D808EBF.jpeg.a8b0b1b0ad56f8d271ce8a2643078259.jpeg

@seagarsmoker have a wonderful cruise and very safe travels.

35BCA72B-0412-4B92-9DF7-8F0DFC8D0E37.jpeg.610de4cfb41fa83a9079fa7bb7c375df.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

3E444DE7-3DE2-460A-A817-054BED24693B.thumb.jpeg.5192ce57ff0220f892fa1a7e69d163b1.jpeg

Have a great Thursday everyone !!!!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

At one time I expected to get to Coquimbo 4 straight years (2016-2019, Crystal Symphony, Zaandam, Symphony, and Prinsendam) but it appears the Prinsendam itinerary changed.

In 2016 I took a land trip to the mountains to Tololo Observatory, a project of the US National Science Foundation.  The mountains northeast of Coquimbo are ideal for an observatory with a warm, dry climate that becomes cool in the evening.  There are several telescopes with 2 main ones.  One has a 1.5 meter lens. They try to keep the scope enclosure dark with just a small window slot:

windowslot.jpg

The newer scope has a 4-meter lens   It's sophisticated camera is very sensitive and the dome is kept closed in the daytime and kept cool at about the night time temperature. 

bigmirror.jpg

The complex has a very high tech control center with one low tech feature.

controlctr.jpg

lowtech.jpg

The area between the port and observatory includes a lot of vineyards, all depending on irrigation from a large resevoir:

resevoir.jpg

We were told those derelict boats @StLouisCruisers showed were foreign fishing boats seized in Chilean waters and sitting in limbo,  While there in 2016 there was a lot of destruction in Coquimbo from a recent earthquake and tsunami, possibly soon after Sandi's 2015 visit.  I'll see if I have anything from my other 2 visits later.

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. Another brisk morning starting out at 40 F. DW has been financially supporting Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs for years and we have enjoyed visiting and wine tastings in the region.

Last night we watched Tom Hanks newest movie Otto which finally came off the buy only list with a reasonable rental price. Good movie.

This morning our new house cleaner arrives and we are hoping it becomes a long time arrangement. Definitely don’t like the Oscar Wilde quote but I imagine he said it in jest but sometime you get what you wish for.

Received a text that my new glasses are in and maybe I’ll have some better eyesight later today. I need to do some preparation for our small group. 
It will be an early to rise morning tomorrow as I need to drive Sue to the airport,  as she flies to Fort Lauderdale for her upcoming sister’s cruise on the Rotterdam. Maybe I need to talk son’s and son-in-law to go on a cruise together.😎

Thanks to all who make the Daily entertaining and fun. Have a great day.

Bruce aka Chief.

image.thumb.jpeg.db64b93037b4983f69f9e567d4aba339.jpegimage.jpeg.52a824f659c793167066a1b5fb980568.jpegimage.jpeg.c26fe8e6fafcc3fc3a1f2c954df64cde.jpegimage.jpeg.73895e3b35318473eaef69452529f9f8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dd24f1fc7a373b87cf344bb751d62c0c.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 23

Finished the treadmill, ate breakfast, drove to the gym and did my workout.  Also cut DH's hair for him just now.  He called yesterday to get an appointment for his physical exam and believe it or not they had a cancellation for his doctor at 2 pm today.  So he will do that and get bloodwork done next week.  

58 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@StLouisCruisers, did the sluggish computer get the best of you this morning.    I'm pretty sure Volendam is skipping HMC and going straight to Fort Lauderdale.  Marine Traffic agrees with that.

Did not sleep quite as well last night but almost.

Roy

Roy, I'm sorry I missed fixing the Volendam this morning.  I have it on my list as Ft. Lauderdale but after I fixed Nieuw Amsterdam and Rotterdam I must have forgotten.   Please excuse the mistake.😟

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Roy, I'm sorry I missed fixing the Volendam this morning.  I have it on my list as Ft. Lauderdale but after I fixed Nieuw Amsterdam and Rotterdam I must have forgotten.   Please excuse the mistake.😟

I learned a long time ago there's only one way to never make a mistake.  Never do anything.  I've certainly had my share of mistakes as well.

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!!

I don't usually post this early (even though I've been up for 3 hours already!), but we'll be leaving this afternoon to head to the airport for our Australia/New Zealand cruise. We're flying nonstop from NY to Auckland, NZ and then a short flight to Melbourne, AUS. We'll be in Melbourne for 3 days before we get on the Grand Princess.  I'm having trouble with the time changes - we leave NY on 3/16, but land in NZ on 3/198...St. Patrick's Day won't exist for us as we cross the International Date Line!

I will try to read every day on my phone, but I'm not as proficient on that (I usually use my computer). Prayers will be said for all suffering in any way, and I'll definitely lift a glass to celebrate with those having good days!!

Take care,

Laura

• Like 31

2 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

IMG_1449.JPG

Safe travels and wishing you a great cruise

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kplady said:

Good morning all!!

I don't usually post this early (even though I've been up for 3 hours already!), but we'll be leaving this afternoon to head to the airport for our Australia/New Zealand cruise. We're flying nonstop from NY to Auckland, NZ and then a short flight to Melbourne, AUS. We'll be in Melbourne for 3 days before we get on the Grand Princess.  I'm having trouble with the time changes - we leave NY on 3/16, but land in NZ on 3/198...St. Patrick's Day won't exist for us as we cross the International Date Line!

I will try to read every day on my phone, but I'm not as proficient on that (I usually use my computer). Prayers will be said for all suffering in any way, and I'll definitely lift a glass to celebrate with those having good days!!

Take care,

Laura

Have a great cruise and a safe journey

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It is sunny and expected to be in the fifties later,excellent dog walking weather. I enjoyed seeing the Panda Bear pictures, thanks, Dixie @summer slope. I think most of us try to do the right thing but it is impossible to do everything right. We have not been to Chile.

Today  I need to contact the MD office where DH had a cyst lanced on Tuesday. It looks worse to me and even larger. I guess I can send a picture of it? 
Bon Voyage and safe travels to @seagarsmoker and @kplady.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5