The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday March 21st, 2023

StLouisCruisers

29 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another cool, drizzly day here in the PNW.  The forecast shows sunshine tomorrow, so that's a nice surprise.

We pay off our credit cards every month.  We do use them for every purchase to add up those points.  No fragrances for me, not anymore.  There are too many folks who are sensitive to scents and also this gardener is allergic to all bee stings so I really don't want to attract the critters to me. Just stay on the flowers. 😉    I'm terrible at poetry.

I

Susan @durangoscotsI really wonder if you have the same thing I had in December.  It took me a month to feel "normal" and was very, very sick for 2 weeks.  Lost 10+ pounds and it was the worst flu I've had since the 70's. Hope you're 100% soon!

Sounds like the same thing and there is a lot of it going around here just now. I am hearing of other people who have it or have had it. Not fun.  Hope everyone else can avoid it.... and don't underestimate it.

Susan

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Paul, I just saw an article in the Washington Post about the couple with the pet Nutria in Louisiana.  The state backed down and issued them a permit to keep Neuty with certain conditions.  I don't have the link to the article on my computer.

Thank you. I hadn't seen it yet. Here's a link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/2023/03/18/louisiana-wildlife-officials-illegal-pet-nutria/b0e8e508-c5be-11ed-82a7-6a87555c1878_story.html

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Sounds like the same thing and there is a lot of it going around here just now. I am hearing of other people who have it or have had it. Not fun.  Hope everyone else can avoid it.... and don't underestimate it.

Susan

Definitely don't underestimate it.  Because of it I'm now struggling to get my kidney function up to par.  The dehydration when I had the flu caused my already not great kidney function to plummet.  I'll never forget that flu. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

We are slowly getting organized for our upcoming 150th Anniversary cruise on the Rotterdam - less than 2 weeks away! I bought a Tux! 

HAL has recently posted some 2025 cruises that look interesting to us and I plan to book one during the upcoming cruise. Trying to decide between - 

35 day Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas on the Koningsdam, RT San Diego, February 15, 2025

and

43 day New Zealand & South Pacific Crossing Collector on the Westerdam, Auckland to Vancouver, March 16, 2025

Both have their pluses and minuses.

We had the Tahiti one booked in 2021 which was cancelled due to Covid and HAL selling the "old" Rotterdam. We also had it booked on the Koningsdam for February 2024 but switched to an east-bound transatlantic/Canary Islands cruise instead. So this would be the third attempt! Flights to and from the ship would certainly be easier. And Feb/Mar seems like a prime time to be out of the cold and snow of Minnesota...

The New Zealand cruise seems like a more interesting itinerary, but would involve a long flight to Auckland. But we could break it up by flying to Hawaii, spending a few days with Mitzi's brother, and then fly on to Auckland. That is starting to make for a pretty long trip though and might impinge on getting to the Canadian cottage in the spring. We would also probably prefer the Koningsdam over the Westerdam...

Decisions, decisions - "Oh Waily-Waily" (to quote Terry Pratchett and Nac Mac Feegles of the Wee Free Men)

• Like 21

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Debbie @dfish.

Good wishes for tomorrow.

Graham xx.

Screenshot_20221224_110439.jpg

Thank you so much, Graham.

55 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC. 
And now for World Poetry Day, hear is a poem for the Misses.

Collards is green, my dog’s name is Blue

Am I’m so lucky to have a sweet thing like you

Your hair is like corn silk a flapping in the breeze

Softer than Blue’s and without all them fleas

You move like a Bass which excites me in May

You ain’t got no scales but a luv you anyway.

Luv, RNB

And I'm sure the Mrs. was properly appreciative.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

My alternative menu suggestion today is Fruit Cup and Veal Parmigiana as served on MS Zaandam's embarkation lunch March 21, 2023.

lunch19.jpg

Today's sunrise is from the 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  On March 21 Crystal Symphony visited Fakarava. French Polynesia:

dawn0321.jpg

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

8 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@dfish, Debbie, I will be thinking of you tomorrow and hope all goes well,including the time  desired.

@grapau27, Graham, make sure you tell the doctor about the instability of your hips. I am not trying to be bossy,although it certainly sounds like it,doesn’t it?  It is a significant symptom.

Thank you Terry.

I always appreciate feedback and advice.

My x-ray's show severe arthritis in both hips and my muscular skeletal doctor mentioned replacement although I don't want to go that route yet if at all possible.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Hi Graham, I was in the same situation  and completely  understand. The way the surgery is currently  done in NYC at least has a very good success rate.This is the first time in years that I can  function  without pain.If course, there is the matter if the other hip eventually......

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Hi Graham, I was in the same situation  and completely  understand. The way the surgery is currently  done in NYC at least has a very good success rate.This is the first time in years that I can  function  without pain.If course, there is the matter if the other hip eventually......

I'm pleased that you are pain free Terry.

My joints even as a child did not have a lot of flexibility and the arthritis which runs in my late mam's family has exaggerated my problem.

After my mild heart attack on December 18th 2019 and subsequent medication I am a little worried also about having a general anaesthetic.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

My joints even as a child did not have a lot of flexibility and the arthritis which runs in my late mam's family has exaggerated my problem.

After my mild heart attack on December 18th 2019 and subsequent medication I am a little worried also about having a general anaesthetic.

Graham.

Weirdly enough, when Pat had his recent (bladder) surgery, the anaesthetist told him that because of his (mild) heart problem, he would be better off having a general than a spinal anaesthetic.  We had been hoping it would be a spinal.  My fear of a general is coming out of it with memory loss....  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

I had spinals with my hip and both knees.  I had a general with my gall bladder and the general anesthetics are so much better than they used to be.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

The most fun I've had so far today was taking out the trash and recycling, which will give you an idea how things are going. Actually, it is a relief to be able to set out paper and cardboard: I always have a backlog because it is so often raining on recycling day.

Mostly, however, I've been struggling with a monthly newsletter for my organization. Several other organizations contribute material, and our relationships with them require publishing their contributions. This month, two of them, the two that have the largest following, were typically close-mouthed; I usually have to use threats and intimidation to get any information from them, or obtain it from another source. A third, on the other hand, contributed way too much and none of it needs to be published.

@rafinmd Thanks for the alternative menu, which I would be happy to have. Dinner here, however, will probably be salmon, boiled potato, and roasted Brussels sprouts.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@Cruising-along Everyone loves the food you ate when when you were growing up.  I had delicious Dungeness crab when I was in Seattle.  You may find this article interesting. https://seattlemag.com/eat-drink/crab-fight-which-coast-has-better-crab/

If anyone would like to try an authentic MD crab cake they can be order from my favorite https://www.boxhillpizzeria.com/shop/

or from Oprah’s favorite https://pappascrabcakes.com/collections/all?nopreview

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

My alternative menu suggestion today is Fruit Cup and Veal Parmigiana as served on MS Zaandam's embarkation lunch March 21, 2023.

lunch19.jpg

Today's sunrise is from the 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  On March 21 Crystal Symphony visited Fakarava. French Polynesia:

dawn0321.jpg

Roy

Nice meal suggestion and super sunrise photo Roy.

Hopefully this is a sign you are feeling a lot better.

All the best.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@Cruising-along Everyone loves the food you ate when when you were growing up.  I had delicious Dungeness crab when I was in Seattle.  You may find this article interesting. https://seattlemag.com/eat-drink/crab-fight-which-coast-has-better-crab/

If anyone would like to try an authentic MD crab cake they can be order from my favorite https://www.boxhillpizzeria.com/shop/

Thank you Tina, great article!  That would be fun to have both in front of you to taste and compare.  I bet I would like both also.  I wish now that I'd tried some on one of the many East Coast cruises I've taken instead of lobster rolls!

Debbie @dfish I thought I'd mentioned you in my earlier post but see I did not.  So I'll say it here, you're on my mind and I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.  Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!  💐

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Thank you so much, Graham.

And I'm sure the Mrs. was properly appreciative.

Yes she was appreciative. I had my favorite lunch today, fried catfish, hush puppies and fried cornbread, which is great if y’all have never had it. Approved by my heart doctor! 😳

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you Tina, great article!  That would be fun to have both in front of you to taste and compare.  I bet I would like both also.  I wish now that I'd tried some on one of the many East Coast cruises I've taken instead of lobster rolls!

I would take crab over lobster rolls any day.  I've never had a lobster roll.  I don't want all the bread that it comes in and I prefer my lobster hot and dripping in butter.  But I do like crab better.  

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie @dfish I thought I'd mentioned you in my earlier post but see I did not.  So I'll say it here, you're on my mind and I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.  Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!  💐

Thank you so much.  I should be home by noon.  I have an 8:15 arrival time, so I don't have to starve all day.  

• Like 19

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

What? Not G&M? Heresy!! LOL!

• Like 2

Good afternoon from beautiful Grand Cayman aboard the NS.

The other 2 ships here today are on the side of the island due to swells.

The concierge is picking us up at 7:45 and we were the first in line for first tender. We made it to Georgetown at 8:55. Not sure of what was going on, but something has happened between the GC tender service and HAL. 

Anyway, we did our usual shopping and I did get my Cuban coffee and cigars from La Casa Del Habano and Suzi bought me a shirt at Guy Harvey's. 

Weather was beautiful all day, perfect breeze and great being only ship in town in the morning so it made walking around a breeze. 

Will check in later as we are having dinner at Caneletto's this evening.  

• Like 15

I have not fallen off the face of the earth for the last two days just too many doctors appointments, and work, and today not a great day at the docs, so will post when I get home tonight from our local symphony, or tomorrow morning.  If I dont get back tonight-good luck on your surgery toimorrow @dfish  Sending healing hugs!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

I have not fallen off the face of the earth for the last two days just too many doctors appointments, and work, and today not a great day at the docs, so will post when I get home tonight from our local symphony, or tomorrow morning.  If I dont get back tonight-good luck on your surgery toimorrow @dfish  Sending healing hugs!

The not great day at the docs has me worried.  Hugs!

• Like 10

Today’s weather was even worse than just being cloudy and windy.  There was a light mist that fell most of the day.  Everything was wet and just yucky.  At least, since I was out to get a haircut, it didn't matter what the weather did to my hair.  It does feel good to have my hair shorter again.

The wet mess cleared up this afternoon, and the sun tried to appear for a while with the wind slowing for a bit.  We took advangate of the break in the weather and took a short walk down the street.  I also got one of my projects completed.  That about sums up another day in central Texas.  Not sure if I can take all the excitement.  🤣

@marshhawk  Annie, like Debbie @dfish, your comment about not a good day at the doctors has me worried, too.  I hope it's nothing too serious.  I hope tomorrow is a better day.

Lenda

• Like 12