What are the odds NCL reverses course on the new cabin steward policy?

It's obviously hell on the crew. Working as a cabin steward was a grueling, sisyphean gig before the changes. The reviews I've read are near universal the "attendants" are visibly stressed and overworked - a terrible state for them and difficult one to provide good service. 

The passenger reactions seem to near universally range from strong disapproval to indifference. I've not ready any reviews where someone endorsed the change. 

Is there anything that would actually induce NCL to reverse these changes? I'm almost asking rhetorically, because as I've mentioned in related discussions I firmly believe NCL really only cares about 1st-time cruisers with no frame of reference to compare. All you lovely older folks with your elite latitudes status who do your 2-3 cruises a year will be...uh....less active...in 20-25 years, and NCL would very much like to still be in business then. 

But they have (rarely) reversed course before when they really stepped in it. To me this feels like it could be one of those times. 

• Like 1

@LoungerOnBalcony55

The reviews I've read are near universal the "attendants" are visibly stressed and overworked

Where are these reviews please?   Are they from passengers or stewards?

Are you able to quantify why the stewards are "visibly stressed and overworked" and more so than they were before?    They always seemed to be "visibly stressed and overworked".

How much of it is due to the "changes in circumstances" themselves and how much to "passenger pressures" because of them?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Where are these reviews please?   Are they from passengers or stewards?

- passengers

Are you able to quantify why the stewards are "visibly stressed and overworked" and more so than they were before?    They always seemed to be "visibly stressed and overworked".

they have to do more cabins in less time with less help

How much of it is due to the "changes in circumstances" themselves and how much to "passenger pressures" because of them?

recent pax indicate a noticeable change in cabin service/attendant demeanor that directly correlated with the implementation of the new policy, while "passenger pressures" are they same as they were 6 months ago 

A quote from my review from the Prima a month ago, I hope they find a better solution for the stewards:

I had a lovely chat on day one with our steward.  Back when there were 2 room “servicing” times a day, he had 14 rooms, which he serviced in the morning until about noon, took a 3 hour break and came back around 3-8 pm for the evening turndowns—that is 28 room make-ups a day.  Under the new schedule he has 34 rooms and works 8-6 pm with a half hour lunch.  No break in the afternoon to go into port for necessities or sightseeing.  This guy was working his butt off trying to keep the rooms to the same level of clean so that on the last day of the cruise when the rooms changeover he could actually get it done and done well between 9 ish when everyone gets booted from the ship and 2:30 pm when the next batch of guests get allowed in their rooms.  I tipped him well, and I think he deserves even more.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

It's obviously hell on the crew. Working as a cabin steward was a grueling, sisyphean gig before the changes. The reviews I've read are near universal the "attendants" are visibly stressed and overworked - a terrible state for them and difficult one to provide good service. 

The passenger reactions seem to near universally range from strong disapproval to indifference. I've not ready any reviews where someone endorsed the change. 

Is there anything that would actually induce NCL to reverse these changes? I'm almost asking rhetorically, because as I've mentioned in related discussions I firmly believe NCL really only cares about 1st-time cruisers with no frame of reference to compare. All you lovely older folks with your elite latitudes status who do your 2-3 cruises a year will be...uh....less active...in 20-25 years, and NCL would very much like to still be in business then. 

But they have (rarely) reversed course before when they really stepped in it. To me this feels like it could be one of those times. 

You never red my response then.  I am 100% OK with it.  We are not slobs and do not need our cabin cleaned but once a day.  IN fact on out last 10-day cruise I told our steward three different days to not bother cleaning our cabin since it was not messy.  Each tiem he asked if we needed clean towels which we took him up on twice.  People are getting upset over a very 1st world issue.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You never red my response then.  I am 100% OK with it.  We are not slobs and do not need our cabin cleaned but once a day.  IN fact on out last 10-day cruise I told our steward three different days to not bother cleaning our cabin since it was not messy.  Each tiem he asked if we needed clean towels which we took him up on twice.  People are getting upset over a very 1st world issue.

My concern isn't rooted in having my cabin cleaned 2x/day. Read the above excerpt from a recent Prima review. Working 7 days/week with no days off is tough enough, but going from the old schedule with a 3-hour mid-day break to 8-6 with just a half hour break every...single...day is just bone crushing. 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

We are not slobs and do not need our cabin cleaned but once a day.

I totally understand and agree with this.  I now cruise as a solo and certainly need nothing done for me but clean towels and my sheets changed but once per week!. Sorry if I sound like a slob but it's all I've ever received when travelling state wide anyway anywhere in north America. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

As long as the majority of passengers are ok with Motel 6 standards, that is what NCL will provide.

I have stayed in $400/day hotels that all provided only once per day service.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

@LoungerOnBalcony55

they have to do more cabins in less time with less help

Again quantify please?

When talking to a couple of stewards before the implementation of the new conditions their main complaint was that they would lose the ability to go ashore in the afternoon time off.

Wow. These folks work 7 days a week for months on end, so I would understand if they wanted the ability to have a couple of hours off in the afternoon. They aren't going sightseeing. (Not the cabin stewards, anyway. Some other crew may do so.) My understanding is that oftentimes -- with only a couple of hours off -- they were going ashore to access free wifi in order to communicate with families at home, and to buy necessary personal items. 

You really want someone to "quantify" this assessment. I'm not sure that is really possible without insider access to NCL staffing information. Most of what you will find here on CC is going to be anecdotal evidence from passengers.

My anecdotal evidence is that my room steward earlier this month was working like a dog. He repeatedly apologized to us that he wasn't able to get to our room until late in the afternoon. First world problem -- sure. But definitely a deviation from the old standard of care. 

Our steward had 25 rooms to care for. By himself. Personally I would find that overwhelming to do just once -- forget doing it day after day after day for months on end with never a day off. 

I truly felt bad for our steward and started doing part of his job for him: removing used glasses from our room for example and returning them to a bar; making our bed; telling him not to clean our room at all one day.  None of this was a problem, but is this the experience NCL wants to impart?

• Like 7

2 hours ago, www3traveler said:

In the last few days, Norwegian reversed the Muster Drill policy, so I would guess that it might be possible to see them reverse this policy too.

Wow I hope this is true about the drill. We are onboard Encore this coming Sunday I’m so super excited 😊 going back to viewing the video and then just checking in at the assigned muster station we liked much better. Fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

As long as the majority of passengers are ok with Motel 6 standards, that is what NCL will provide.

Exactly.  NCL (and other mass market lines) have already done it with the food, lowering to cheapest chain quality, it only makes sense that they will do it to the hotel too.

4 hours ago, Waterluv said:

Wow I hope this is true about the drill. We are onboard Encore this coming Sunday I’m so super excited 😊 going back to viewing the video and then just checking in at the assigned muster station we liked much better. Fingers crossed 🤞 

Yes, this is true.  According to Cruise Industry News (dated 22 March 2023), an email has been send out to travel agents announcing the change.  According to the news release, it will take about a month to implement throughout the system.

• Haha 1

Unless or until NCL can't find enough crew to staff their ships, they are not going back. We would actually consider opting out of daily servicing of our stateroom in exchange for a reduction in the DSC, which is absolutely out of hand at $20 per day. Seems like it could be a win win....less rooms for the overworked crew and we don't have to pay for service for which we find little value. Of course, then the math wouldn't work out for NCL, who uses the DSC to compensate their crew and pay for their benefits and onboard programs. I know how to make a bed and am glad to reuse a bath towel a second time after my shower.

And I really don't get the comparison to land based hotels. Who cares what happens at land based hotels? Since when have land based hotels become the standard for cruising?  People make the comparison to land based hotels when it fits their narrative. Well, Days Inn doesn't provide turn down service, so the cruise lines shouldn't either. Okay, well our local days in doesn't charge us $40 per day in fees and charges, either.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 12

I more or less expected changes after the Pandemic restart.  It had to happen.  Some of it good (e-Muster), some of it different (one cabin refresh per day), some of it bad (Bailey’s Irish Cream now has a surcharge).  Those are just a few of the changes.  Obviously, there have been many more.

But, anyone who has cruised for a little bit knows how the crew contracts work.  They are between 6-8 months at a time.  The crew usually works 7 days a week throughout the contract, 10-12 hours/day.  That part hasn’t changed.  How they do their jobs might change, but generally speaking, the hours/day worked are the same.

Of course, the jobs they all do all have different schedules.  Cabin attendants’ hours are pretty consistent.  Fact is, they are some of the best paid crew given their jobs.  Their tips can be quite good, and usually are (except for the tip curmudgeons who crop up here every once in a while who remove their tips).

Bartenders have different schedules than the cabin attendants.  Customer Service personnel have different schedules than bartenders, etc, etc, etc.  The vast majority are working 7 days a week and more than 8 hours a day.

But, they are only working 8 months out of the year.  And, they are getting free room and board.

Doesn’t happen often, but once in a great while I’ll run into a cabin steward who goads me into sympathy by recounting how hard they work.  I always chalk that up as a desire for “sympathy tips”.  

Most are on multiple contracts.  So, they must like it because they keep signing up again and again.

So, do they work hard?  Yes!  Do they like what they do?   I’ll assume so if they keep coming back.  And, given they have no cost medical, food, room, recreational facilities, and get to visit the most idyllic places on earth would probably be the kind of job I would have been very interested in if I were young and came from an impoverished home country. 

Want to make a cabin steward’s job easier?  Hang up your own towels in the bathroom.  Don’t leave your dirty glasses all over the cabin.  Throw your melted ice bucket water in the sink.  Move your luggage/clothes out of their way.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

And I really don't get the comparison to land based hotels. Who cares what happens at land based hotels? Since when have land based hotels become the standard for cruising? 

I don't think the comments in this thread are saying "Because Days Inn does..., so should NCL".  My interpretation is the comments are saying "So long as the cruising public is OK with Days Inn quality and level of service, NCL is going to be inclined to lower themselves to that level"  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

Unless or until NCL can't find enough crew to staff their ships, they are not going back. We would actually consider opting out of daily servicing of our stateroom in exchange for a reduction in the DSC, which is absolutely out of hand at $20 per day. Seems like it could be a win win....less rooms for the overworked crew and we don't have to pay for service for which we find little value. Of course, then the math wouldn't work out for NCL, who uses the DSC to compensate their crew and pay for their benefits and onboard programs. I know how to make a bed and am glad to reuse a bath towel a second time after my shower.

And I really don't get the comparison to land based hotels. Who cares what happens at land based hotels? Since when have land based hotels become the standard for cruising?  People make the comparison to land based hotels when it fits their narrative. Well, Days Inn doesn't provide turn down service, so the cruise lines shouldn't either. Okay, well our local days in doesn't charge us $40 per day in fees and charges, either.

Yes, give everyone the option to clean their own room and save that money off the cruise price. If you are a family of 4 with to small ones, that is a savings of $80 a day. You can have a certain area to get new towels and bath items if you prefer to go this route.

Edited by Topdog52
  • Like 1

I would caution folks from cleaning their room. That is what NCL wants. Agree that twice a day isn’t needed but for our recent cruise it was barely once a day minimal cleaning. If indeed the change is due to lack of staff ( I hardly doubt)  then within certain highly recruited populations ( like the large Phillipino community) word will get out about the harsh conditions and NCL ( among others) will have difficulty getting good hires. Cabin stewards also have additional responsibilities. The day my cabin got cleaned at 5 the steward  said he was delayed due to weekly muster drill. 

I have a crazy suggestion. Have extra stewards do the morning cleaning and then utilize all of  them later in the day for say bussing in the Garden cafe or other high use areas. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

So long as the cruising public is OK with Days Inn quality and level of service, NCL is going to be inclined to lower themselves to that level"  

Why would they want to mirror Days Inn? That is an entirely different product and target market. Everything I see from NCL is about delivering unparalleled vacation experiences. If your interpretation is correct, then they are not differentiating themselves but really just paralleling their competition.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I more or less expected changes after the Pandemic restart.  It had to happen.  Some of it good (e-Muster), some of it different (one cabin refresh per day), some of it bad (Bailey’s Irish Cream now has a surcharge).  Those are just a few of the changes.  Obviously, there have been many more.

But, anyone who has cruised for a little bit knows how the crew contracts work.  They are between 6-8 months at a time.  The crew usually works 7 days a week throughout the contract, 10-12 hours/day.  That part hasn’t changed.  How they do their jobs might change, but generally speaking, the hours/day worked are the same.

Of course, the jobs they all do all have different schedules.  Cabin attendants’ hours are pretty consistent.  Fact is, they are some of the best paid crew given their jobs.  Their tips can be quite good, and usually are (except for the tip curmudgeons who crop up here every once in a while who remove their tips).

Bartenders have different schedules than the cabin attendants.  Customer Service personnel have different schedules than bartenders, etc, etc, etc.  The vast majority are working 7 days a week and more than 8 hours a day.

But, they are only working 8 months out of the year.  And, they are getting free room and board.

Doesn’t happen often, but once in a great while I’ll run into a cabin steward who goads me into sympathy by recounting how hard they work.  I always chalk that up as a desire for “sympathy tips”.  

Most are on multiple contracts.  So, they must like it because they keep signing up again and again.

So, do they work hard?  Yes!  Do they like what they do?   I’ll assume so if they keep coming back.  And, given they have no cost medical, food, room, recreational facilities, and get to visit the most idyllic places on earth would probably be the kind of job I would have been very interested in if I were young and came from an impoverished home country. 

Want to make a cabin steward’s job easier?  Hang up your own towels in the bathroom.  Don’t leave your dirty glasses all over the cabin.  Throw your melted ice bucket water in the sink.  Move your luggage/clothes out of their way.

I basically agree with this, but would note that visiting the most idyllic places on earth may not be very relevant if the staff are now mostly stuck on board, and even if they can get out to port, being in a resort area is expensive and not that exciting the 10th time in a row. 

Whether the employes like coming back is a matter of debate and subjective.  Presumably it must pay significantly better than, say, working at a hotel in the Philippines, to make it worth being away from their children and families for most of their lives. 

As to whether the housekeeping policy will change depends on whether the cruise line can keep its staff under the new scenario and what the employees' alternatives are. If they feel overworked and find better jobs at other cruise lines or at home, they will stop renewing, in which case ncl may need to reconsider if they cant find trained and experienced staff. If the employees are getting more money by no longer having to split the gratuity allocated to room care, it may be worth it to them to stay. 

The other issue is if the service falls behind other cruise lines and other vacation options, and customers stop returning. I see cutbacks on other cruise lines in various areas. The one area where I think ncl may be likely to rethink the changes is the turnover day, since it seems like people can't get to their rooms until much later than before. However rethinking does not necessarily mean going back to the previous system.  For example, I would not be totally surprised to see ncl contracting with a US based cleaning company one day a week to assist the stewards in getting the rooms ready for new guests while in home ports, or something like that. 

Edited by zzdoug