Gay meet up P&O Arvia

scottish ed

11 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I thought they were now called “stitch and bi*ch” 😂 

Are you trying to say women need to be able to Stitch to Bi*ch now. Didn't know many women that couldn't Stitch in my life time but knew plenty that could ******. 🤕

• Haha 1

Morning All,

I just thought I would throw in my two cents worth into the thread.

I have seen this topic for a while and have actively not clicked into it, mainly because I didn't want to face what I thought would be countless posts in the negative. And whilst I am really happy to see that the comments for the majority have been positive, the mindset I had of not wanting to read the thread just cements why meet ups like these are important. 

The meet ups are not there to single any other people out, they are not there to make us feel special and they are most definitely not there for us to flaunt our sexuality as one poster put it. 

My husband and I have been together for 10 years, he proposed on Azura and we had our honey moon on Azura. However we have most definitely seen and been recipient to instances whilst on p&o cruises during our time we them.

• Men in Brodies shouting and asking "where are you two ladies drinking this evening then!"
  • Ship photographer asking "who is the lady in the relationship"
  • NUMEROUS conversations that start "I'm not homophobic BUT......"

Yes, these occurrences are few when taken into consideration the amount of time we have spent cruising, but these are things that hurt and get remembered. We don't like sharing tables at dinner or lunch because you have to mentally prepare yourself EVERY time as to what way a conversation can go based on people's prejudices and it is tiring. People think you only have to "come out" once, but you don't, you have to do it time and time again and every reaction is different. We do not hold hands on the ship, we don't show any public displays of affection (that one is mainly because I don't like anyone doing that lol)

What I am trying to say is if that meeting, on a cruise, gives like minded people (and i am not just talking about LGBTQ+ Meetings, there are the single cruises, the crafting meet ups, the bridge meet ups) a chance to connect and potentially make friends with other people, whilst in a  "safe place" what does it actually matter to someone who has no need/desire to go. It doesn't, but just because YOU don't see a need for it, doesn't mean there isn't one. Just because YOU don't fall in the "category" that it appeals to, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen for other people. I don't want to play bridge, but just because I don't, I don't think they should get rid of the meet ups and their card playing should be done behind closed doors, I don't have a problem with cards, some of my best friends play cards, i just don't want them flaunted in my face....see how silly it sounds....

I do want to say though, the majority of people on cruises that we have met have had no issue whatsoever and it isn't even mentioned other than we are married. And in general people are lovely and kind and caring, (which this topic has shown) but it is always the bad apples that spoil it for everyone, in every walk of life.

Sorry, i'm done now, well done if you read it all lol

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, reece.twiggwhite said:

Morning All,

I have seen this topic for a while and have actively not clicked into it, mainly because I didn't want to face what I thought would be countless posts in the negative. And whilst I am really happy to see that the comments for the majority have been positive, the mindset I had of not wanting to read the thread just cements why meet ups like these are important. 

The meet ups are not there to single any other people out, they are not there to make us feel special and they are most definitely not there for us to flaunt our sexuality as one poster put it. 

My husband and I have been together for 10 years, he proposed on Azura and we had our honey moon on Azura. However we have most definitely seen and been recipient to instances whilst on p&o cruises during our time we them.

• Men in Brodies shouting and asking "where are you two ladies drinking this evening then!"

Yes, these occurrences are few when taken into consideration the amount of time we have spent cruising, but these are things that hurt and get remembered. We don't like sharing tables at dinner or lunch because you have to mentally prepare yourself EVERY time as to what way a conversation can go based on people's prejudices and it is tiring. People think you only have to "come out" once, but you don't, you have to do it time and time again and every reaction is different. We do not hold hands on the ship, we don't show any public displays of affection (that one is mainly because I don't like anyone doing that lol)

What I am trying to say is if that meeting, on a cruise, gives like minded people (and i am not just talking about LGBTQ+ Meetings, there are the single cruises, the crafting meet ups, the bridge meet ups) a chance to connect and potentially make friends with other people, whilst in a  "safe place" what does it actually matter to someone who has no need/desire to go. It doesn't, but just because YOU don't see a need for it, doesn't mean there isn't one. Just because YOU don't fall in the "category" that it appeals to, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen for other people. I don't want to play bridge, but just because I don't, I don't think they should get rid of the meet ups and their card playing should be done behind closed doors, I don't have a problem with cards, some of my best friends play cards, i just don't want them flaunted in my face....see how silly it sounds....

I do want to say though, the majority of people on cruises that we have met have had no issue whatsoever and it isn't even mentioned other than we are married. And in general people are lovely and kind and caring, (which this topic has shown) but it is always the bad apples that spoil it for everyone, in every walk of life.

Read it all. Lovely post. Well said. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, reece.twiggwhite said:

Morning All,

I read it all, along with Andrew's and others posts and all I can say is well said. 💖

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, reece.twiggwhite said:

Morning All,

It makes me really sad you have to go through this.

Your post is excellent - very well put x

• Like 6

The only incident we had was on Azura. Maybe that's another bonus of sailing on the smaller ships...?

Tony and I were on Arcadia in 2006 for what was effectively a honeymoon, a few weeks after our Civil Partnership. We wanted a nice photograph to celebrate and so I said to the young guy photographer "Look, we are a couple so just do whatever you would normally do with a couple". I hate photos of me and felt physically uncomfortable in the pose but it is actually a nice photo. I'm attaching a copy but it is a photo of a photo, so not great quality but will give you an idea of what I mean. The photographer couldn't have been nicer.

20230329_143235.jpg

• Like 29

2 hours ago, reece.twiggwhite said:

Morning All,

Great post but sorry to hear of the bad experiences you have had. I guess the bigger the ship, the more potential there is to run into bigoted or just stupid people...

Edited by Britboys
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Britboys said:

The only incident we had was on Azura. Maybe that's another bonus of sailing on the smaller ships...?

Tony and I were on Arcadia in 2006 for what was effectively a honeymoon, a few weeks after our Civil Partnership. We wanted a nice photograph to celebrate and so I said to the young guy photographer "Look, we are a couple so just do whatever you would normally do with a couple". I hate photos of me and felt physically uncomfortable in the pose but it is actually a nice photo. I'm attaching a copy but it is a photo of a photo, so not great quality but will give you an idea of what I mean. The photographer couldn't have been nicer.

20230329_143235.jpg

Such a beautiful photo Andrew. The love you had for each other shines through.

Avril

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Britboys said:

20230329_143235.jpg

It's a beautiful photo Andrew - very natural and you both look so happy. Thanks for sharing this. Jane xxx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

20230329_143235.jpg

Lovely photo Andrew 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, reece.twiggwhite said:

Morning All,

absolutely spot on and so well put.  👏

• Like 4

6 hours ago, reece.twiggwhite said:

Morning All,

so very true and really beautifully put

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 8:46 AM, Cpt Pugwash said:

Though not Gay myself i did become friends with a Gay guy on a cruise where he arranged a 'Friends of Dorothy' meeting but no one turned up though there was other Gay guys on the ship so a bit of pot luck.

We’ve attended FoD meetings on all our cruises. As you some are busy (QM2 was very popular) others not so busy. You’ll see gays onboard but they don’t attend the social. It could be a) they don’t “do the scene” b) have the misconception that it’s full of camp old queens c) they think it’s  a sex fest (if only! 😂) or d) more likely they don’t know the term friend of Dorothy. Nowadays there is no need for Polari the use of codes be it words, phrases or even a hanky. 
the same for Bill W meetings. We had no idea what they were at the beginning. 
Perhaps they should just advertise as FoD as LGBTQi+ 

For a group of people who don’t like labels we’re certainly building up a rather large collection of letters! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2023 at 12:07 PM, reece.twiggwhite said:

I do have a funny story along this line. 

Hubby & I have been together 24 years in June & civil partnership 17 years in April. 

On our honeymoon on Thomson Destiny we were at the midnight chocoholic buffet (You young’uns don’t know what your missing these days) 

In the tradition of restaurant lunches the waiters just filled up tables so each lunchtime & at the nightly midnight buffet you were herded into tables of 6,8,10 with randoms! 

You had 30 minutes to walk round the fabulous displays to take photos (no touching or sneeky nibbles) 

You then queued up again to gain entrance to fill your boots! 

Back ti my story: hubby & I were sat at a table of 6; two other couples. One couple the woman had partaken of a few too many sweet sherries (drinks packages weren’t as prevalent in those days.) In a drunk hushed voice she “whispers” to her husband “Do you think they are what I think they are?” 
I was oblivious but hubby could hear. 
Her hubby trying to be discreet was trying to shut her up. Wifie was having nine of it and each time he tried to stop her she’d “whisper” louder. 

Eventually hubby leans over. Touches her hand and says “I’ll let you in on a secret….Yes we are!” 

The other couple just made their excuses & left. The hubby was left embarrassed & wifie just said “Oh I don’t think you could hear me”

Well as you all know although cruise ships are big once you’ve seen someone you see them all the time. We saw this couple every day thereafter my hubby gave her the biggest campest “Hiya”  ever 🤪 

Apart from that we’ve had no problems. Everyone is great. 
Jump forward to 2017. Onboard NCL Epic. Spring break. We got chatting to some college boys and ended up meet all their brothers & sisters &  becoming honourary Frat brothers! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

On 3/28/2023 at 3:29 PM, Goosebear Mum said:

I don’t care what colour, sexual orientation, religion, etc, etc, anyone is. But I don’t also wish to hear people go on and on about it either.  E.g. They are welcome to meet up together (e.g.) those who meet in religious settings, etc, etc, but I don’t want them coming to my front door to try and ‘sell it to me’.  Inclusion to me means acceptance (and equality) not having it rammed down my throat.

Ha ha.  You hit the nail on the head there.  Just had to Jehovah's witnesses on the door step and when I said very nicely, I don't believe in religion, they went on and on and asked me who made the beauty on the planet.  I said "science and biology".  And they went on again.

I have said this before, I feel very lucky that in my flying career starting in the 70s, we had black, brown, Chinese, Muslim and gay crew.   We never even noticed.  It was just whether you were a nice decent person or not.   

I feel it's rather a shame that it is necessary to have gay get togethers, but it obviously is, so good luck to you.

Andrew,  I well remember meeting you with my husband and Shirley and you telling us about losing your partner.  As you chose to join us on quite a few nights after that I can only assume we made you feel comfortable, either that or you just loved Shirley singing.🥰

• Like 6

I am so sorry that some of us are still subjected to prejudice simply for who we are 😥

@ged1967 Your story reminds me of my mother when we were on a coach holiday together - On the coach behind us were 2 men and across the aisle 2 women, all of similar ages. Mum had assumed they were 2 straight couples travelling together, the women sitting together to natter and the men relegated to the other seats (I confess that was also my first thought). One day, the men were on the coach but not the ladies. 'Oh' says Mum, 'The wives are not here today'. I replied that we had been mistaken and the gentlemen were travelling together (after all, I had no idea of their actual relationship). 'Yes' says Mum 'Their wives are not here today' so I repeated that the gentlemen were travelling together. It took about 4 of these exchanges, Mum - being a little deaf - not speaking quietly and me trying to make myself heard (in both senses) before the penny dropped. She blustered a bit and said that what other people do was not her business. The gentlemen concerned just smiled quietly . . .

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 1:16 AM, scottish ed said:

Am going on first cruise in June on P&O Arvia. Not sure what to expect but would love to connect with other gay guys on the cruise. I’ve heard of ‘friends of Dorothy’ meets on cruises but I wanted to ask if that’s something that actually happens? On P&O? What’s the best way to meet up with other guys on a cruise?

Hope you have a great time @scottish ed and really enjoy your first cruise. Once you start it can be very addictive!

On our last cruise on Azura in the canaries my hubby asked to go to one of the unhosted meet ups in the Planet bar at about 5pm. He hadn’t been before so wanted to experience one. There was about 15 people of mixed ages, on the day we went we met some nice people who we could then smile and say hi to when bumping into them during the vacation. Met one guy who lives in a town quite close and we have kept in touch since.

We also got chatting to other gay guys we hadn’t seen at the meet up, who we saw in the numerous bars, most people are very friendly and after a smile and hello you will know if they want to chat or be left alone. Most love a good chat and are very welcoming.

I find the cruises very friendly and accepting, we generally don’t hold hands walking around the ship but see some guys doing this and I always give them a big warm smile.

Hope this helps 🏳️‍🌈

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So…..I posted the original question about LGBT meet ups. 
Am now back from the cruise (my first), had an amazing time on Arvia and think I’ve well and truly got the cruise bug. 

To answer my original question, there were LGBT meet ups advertised daily in Horizon. Not that well attended but we met a lovely couple who we ended up meeting most evenings for a drink. 

Only one negative experience, a couple in the Limelight club talking and laughing about my partner and I. At least she looked mortified when she saw I’d noticed. Most people couldn’t have cared less that we’re a gay couple and most people we chatted to were lovely. 
BB013866-9274-4ED3-BA03-6D4A49B817E0.thumb.jpeg.5022e6cf7f1fc97c861c7ff4eda6e145.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scottish ed said:

Am now back from the cruise (my first), had an amazing time on Arvia and think I’ve well and truly got the cruise bug. 

To answer my original question, there were LGBT meet ups advertised daily in Horizon. Not that well attended but we met a lovely couple who we ended up meeting most evenings for a drink. 

Only one negative experience, a couple in the Limelight club talking and laughing about my partner and I. At least she looked mortified when she saw I’d noticed. Most people couldn’t have cared less that we’re a gay couple and most people we chatted to were lovely. 
BB013866-9274-4ED3-BA03-6D4A49B817E0.thumb.jpeg.5022e6cf7f1fc97c861c7ff4eda6e145.jpeg

I’m delighted to hear that you both had a great time. Cruising is indeed addictive! Unbelievable that a couple would be so ignorant and unpleasant to behave that way, but that says more about them than it does you. Lovely photo, which I hope will be a lasting memory of your first, of many, cruises. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, scottish ed said:

Thank you for reporting back. 

The people who responded to your original question (and us) will be really pleased you had a great time. 

This forum loves to help and follow journeys, but not enough return to let us know how it went. 

As for the couple in the Limelight, well, at least they are becoming a minority... 

Andy 

• Like 12

On my last cruise I was sat near the bottom of the main stairs where the photographers are set up for the formal night photos and two young guys went forward to have their photo taken. The photographer was absolutely superb, getting them comfortable and treating them exactly the same as all the other couples that they had been photographing that evening.

However... the old guy sat near to me said something disparaging and was obviously expecting me to comment in agreement. He certainly wasn't prepared for my response which sent him scuttling off with his tail between his legs.

• Like 10