Infinite Balconies

jules815

1 minute ago, mauimary said:

Sounds good. I take it one can actually sit outside. You would have a porthole and be able to go outdoors and look over a rail?

The balcony is what is normally called a hull balcony since it's within the hull if the ship. In this case the porthole aspect is the actual opening to the outside with a half glass railing. It's a large circular opening and not a little porthole window. The actual cabin has a regular sliding glass door to the balcony. The only issue is it's a a very narrow space.

https://youtu.be/7naAQNtbFDs

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The balcony is what is normally called a hull balcony since it's within the hull if the ship. In this case the porthole aspect is the actual opening to the outside with a half glass railing. It's a large circular opening and not a little porthole window. The actual cabin has a regular sliding glass door to the balcony. The only issue is it's a a very narrow space.

https://youtu.be/7naAQNtbFDs

Thank you. Learned something new today. Never really paid much attention to it.  

• Like 1

I have an answer to the IV cabin. If I do not want to pay the newer Celebrity outrageous suites pricing and want to be on a newer ship with traditional open balconies, I will book one of the 3 newer HAL Pinaccle class ships. They are modern and overall gorgeous in all their open balconies glory. I have one on the HAL Koningsdam in November.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I have an answer to the IV cabin. If I do not want to pay the newer Celebrity outrageous suites pricing and want to be on a newer ship with traditional open balconies, I will book one of the 3 newer HAL Pinaccle class ships. They are modern and overall gorgeous in all their open balconies glory. I have one on the HAL Koningsdam in November.

I will check them out.  Thanks!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Have you been on any HAL cruise? 

No we have not tried HAL yet.  But definitely we will seriously consider them at this point.  What type of cabin do you sail?  What is their equivalent of a Sky Suite?

41 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

No we have not tried HAL yet.  But definitely we will seriously consider them at this point.  What type of cabin do you sail?  What is their equivalent of a Sky Suite?

HAL doesn't have anything close to the amenities of the Retreat even in their highest suite levels. Size wise, close to a Sky Suite is a Signature Suite or Vista Suite. They do have booking options for "Have it All" (HIA) which includes, a drinks and Wi-Fi package, plus a shore excursion and specialty dining package. If you book early, within 90 days of release of sailings, you can get HIA with premium drinks and Wi-Fi package, tips and a OBC. We booked the Volendam for an 11-day Boston to Montreal Cruise for August 2024 in a Vista Suite with the Premium HIA for $4300pp. That includes the Premium drinks, Premium Wi-Fi, gratuities, $400 in shore excursions, 2 specialty restaurants each and $200 OBC. The Vista Suite is 297sq ft in size and the Volendam is an older small ship with 1400 passenger capacity. HAL charges a lot less for specialty restaurants, drink packages and so far, no charge for full room service, including ordering from the MDR menu. 

Edited by terrydtx

12 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Is not the DPV about 30% view obstructed vs a regular balcony?  You are looking out through a circle vs the square.

No biggie. We liked the DPV on the Apex so we booked another on the Edge. We were invited into a IV and glad we went with a DPV stateroom. We invited the couple that invited us to check out our DPV and they  liked it better than their IV. They booked a DPV for their future Beyond cruise.

42 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We were invited into a IV and glad we went. We invited the couple that invited us to check out our DPV and they  liked it

YOU ?? Really ??? NO ------ Not You !!!

Did You or was it Them that had the pineapple on the stateroom door ?????

If you see us on a ship----- NO thanks----

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

HAL doesn't have anything close to the amenities of the Retreat even in their highest suite levels. Size wise, close to a Sky Suite is a Signature Suite or Vista Suite. They do have booking options for "Have it All" (HIA) which includes, a drinks and Wi-Fi package, plus a shore excursion and specialty dining package. If you book early, within 90 days of release of sailings, you can get HIA with premium drinks and Wi-Fi package, tips and a OBC. We booked the Volendam for an 11-day Boston to Montreal Cruise for August 2024 in a Vista Suite with the Premium HIA for $4300pp. That includes the Premium drinks, Premium Wi-Fi, gratuities, $400 in shore excursions, 2 specialty restaurants each and $200 OBC. The Vista Suite is 297sq ft in size and the Volendam is an older small ship with 1400 passenger capacity. HAL charges a lot less for specialty restaurants, drink packages and so far, no charge for full room service, including ordering from the MDR menu. 

Boston to Montreal sounds like a fantastic itinerary. These are the types of cruises I'd like to start doing now that we're retired. Been to the Caribbean so many times. 

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Thank you!  That helps a lot!😀

14 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Boston to Montreal sounds like a fantastic itinerary. These are the types of cruises I'd like to start doing now that we're retired. Been to the Caribbean so many times. 

This is really a great itinerary and we compared it with Celebrity, Viking Ocean and Oceania. Celebrity only offers round trip from Boston in same 11 days and has 4 less port stops. Oceania had similar itineraries but at double the cost of the HAL cruise. I am with you we are done with the Caribbean for cruising, after our Equinox cruise in June with our granddaughter. Every cruise after is for places we have not been, and we hope will be interesting. We are retired and spending our kid's inheritance on travel.

Edited by terrydtx

13 minutes ago, jules815 said:

A couple of years back we took Summit out of Port Liberty NJ round trip to Quebec and back.  About two weeks.  Visited the Canadian Maritimes and Maine.  Overnight in Quebec City.  A great itinerary and cruise! 

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

A couple of years back we took Summit out of Port Liberty NJ round trip to Quebec and back.  About two weeks.  Visited the Canadian Maritimes and Maine.  Overnight in Quebec City.  A great itinerary and cruise! 

Agree. We did that same one in September 2019 and then September 2022 did the RT from Boston on the Summit. Same itinerary.

Just now, davekathy said:

Agree. We did that same one in September 2019 and then September 2022 did the RT from Boston on the Summit. Same itinerary.

We did Sept 2019 too I think.  Maybe the same cruise?

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We did Sept 2019 too I think.  Maybe the same cruise?

Ours was 8 September 2019. First NE/Canada cruise for us and we really enjoyed the itinerary. We had good weather. Hurricane Dorian was a few days ahead of us and left good weather behind her/him for us to enjoy. 

41 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Shhhh...😈

LOL----So, it was You !!

I think I know who you are---

Are you the man I keep talking about who purchased a pre-loved Rolex and got a big, ( really big ) kiss from -- etc, etc. 

Do you still have that plaid sports jacket and the plaid flair leg pants I saw you wearing ,heading to the front row of the theater every night--- same jacket, same pants ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL----So, it was You !!

I think I know who you are---

Are you the man I keep talking about who purchased a pre-loved Rolex and got a big, ( really big ) kiss from -- etc, etc. 

Do you still have that plaid sports jacket and the plaid flair leg pants I saw you wearing ,heading to the front row of the theater every night--- same jacket, same pants ?

🤐