The time I took my kids on a 90's cruise *LIVE* Grandeur of the Seas April 2-7th

Silly question - you mentioned you were carrying on... How do you get the full size sunscreens thru TSA security?

Never mind - I see that you check this bag.....

Edited by abpplh

54 minutes ago, abpplh said:

Silly question - you mentioned you were carrying on... How do you get the full size sunscreens thru TSA security?

Never mind - I see that you check this bag.....

No worries!! Yes I check a bag full of shoes and liquids and carry on the clothing, makeup, jewelry. This bag will also be able to carry things like dirty laundry on our way home as we will go through things through out the week. More space for souvenir's 😄

• Like 1

71621D97-C18F-4060-8E7F-EA6AAB47145A.thumb.jpeg.d0c0cee14234a444550926a7756da535.jpeg

Houston. We may have a problem. 

Rain and windy conditions are moving into our area tomorrow….just in time for our flight to MIA. This kids, is why I do NOT fly the day of my cruise. On hold now to see if there’s anything I can do here or if we will be driving from VA to MIA tomorrow morning. Part of me is tempted to wait and see, the other part of me does not want to possibly put off the inevitable. When I have a chance to speak to the representative, I will have a better understanding of my choices. I am going to see if it is possible to get to the state of Florida and then just rent a car from there, anywhere further south would be less of a drive. 

when it rains, it pours, on top of this, our normal nail salon had to cancel our appointment due to no electricity in their building. We went to a different one and they overcharged us immensely. When I told them we were going on a cruise the nail tech made some comment about how much did that cost? I asked for a price list at that point, and they somehow did not have one. Let’s just say, I paid significantly more than it was worth. However, my daughter is happy with her nails, and that is what mattered to me. 

Stay tuned!!!!

Edited by mandyleighflies
  • Like 4

Hope your travel plans are not disrupted due to weather! You’re definitely smart to be traveling to port a day early. We live in Central Florida and are cruising out of FFL in two weeks 🤩. It should be just a three hour drive, but based on past experience with traffic, we’re going a day early and planning to enjoy our pre cruise evening in FLL.  

• Like 1

Well here goes nothing. It’s travel day and Mother Nature is having a “fit and falling into it” as my Nana would say. We are flying out of DCA this afternoon, just tried to standby for the 10am flight out of DCA this morning and no luck. We took ourselves home and we are waiting it out to see what happens with the weather and our flight. The rain/storms are moving out early, that’s not the issue…the issue is the wind. The wind gusts this afternoon are supposed to be hefty, think 38-52 knots…planes have limitations when it comes to this type of thing. 

I have two options. 

A. Wait it out and hope that our plane can take off at a decent hour this evening. 

B. Cancel our fully refundable tickets and make the 16 hour drive to MIA. 

I will be making the decision on one of these options by 2pm this afternoon. If the winds are not as terrible as predicted we will take our chances with the flight, it is still showing on time but it has to come from Charlotte (CLT) and they are getting the same weather as we are this morning. The HUGE advantage on our side for this flight is the crew operating this flight are starting their day with our flight, no worries on crew timing out. 

The drive would be rough as I’m the only adult who can drive and 16 hours (32 round trip) of driving does not sound like something I would ever volunteer myself for, but it is the safest way to go as we are in control of our traveling destiny. 

Positive Vibes for calmer winds and on time or only slightly delayed flights please 🥲❤️

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

In retrospect however you end up getting there, you'll really be showing your kids how we did it in the '90's , we drove 16 hours if we had to, and bad attitudes weren't allowed 🙂

TRUE 😅

weather is a funny thing. Now it is absolutely beautiful outside. However, it’s supposed to start getting very windy. Waiting it out at home, hopefully will be on an airplane in a few hours. Fingers crossed, positive vibes only from here on out. 

• Like 7

I am really looking forward to your review. We are sailing on Grandeur in January. It will be our first RCI. We usually sail NCL and have done Disney as well. You mentioned that you purchased the drink package when you figured it met your break even. Can you explain what that figure is? I’m trying do decide if I should purchase or go a la carte. Thanks

• Like 1

Back at the airport. Liquids bags checked, currently sitting in the brand new Admiral's club in DCA concourse E with a sparkling water and a glass of red wine. Plane is on its way from Charlotte and landing in just under an hour. PRAYERS the wind holds off long enough for us to get out of here.

My mantra for the evening is “We will NOT be driving to Miami, we will NOT be driving to Miami”

OH and to make it even more entertaining…

My husband…who is currently training on a new plane in Denver just landed at Washington-Dulles (IAD) and realized he left his car keys in his backpack…and his backpack is in his training hotel room in Denver. He is currently in an Uber to DCA to get both of our keys from me. He is going to take my car out of the lot, go home, Uber to IAD tomorrow to get his car and the kids and I will Uber home on Friday the 7th.

I did warn him that if I do wind up needing to drive to MIA, I will be taking my car back. 

8E21254A-D313-4598-A700-C6C8BA3284D3.thumb.jpeg.e3eb08c75d9cd77ac56a6121b7b87a51.jpeg

So here we are…say it with me “we are NOT driving to Miami, we are NOT driving to Miami”

• Like 6

**updated**

Hubby is leaving my car in case we need it (insert mantra “we are NOT driving to Miami” here) so he’s taking his car key from me and leaving us the car. 

*drinks wine…we are NOT driving to Miami, we are NOT driving to Miami*

8F364526-CE0B-4E4B-A89B-5402D39CC16E.thumb.jpeg.24335e892b0b85e9f0fb71afffb72f5e.jpeg

6ED82440-5098-46F3-B699-193687A85A5F.thumb.jpeg.45a2ed74e33138be9d25077c1891e572.jpeg

DAC053DF-97B6-4AC6-9EF4-9FAAA41A3BCE.thumb.jpeg.eefca358842a1c8c509edcb4857227cb.jpeg

C7BCFFA6-4D2F-4528-935E-1DD124C6A319.thumb.jpeg.23224eef6346ee8a1085cb11d4684419.jpeg

The new Admiral’s Club in E concourse in DCA is beautiful. 

*we are NOT driving to Miami, we are NOT driving to Miami*

Edited by mandyleighflies
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Kodiak99 said:

I am really looking forward to your review. We are sailing on Grandeur in January. It will be our first RCI. We usually sail NCL and have done Disney as well. You mentioned that you purchased the drink package when you figured it met your break even. Can you explain what that figure is? I’m trying do decide if I should purchase or go a la carte. Thanks

The break even for me was when my total of all at cost beverages would equal more by spending ala cart versus having the package. I fell into a sale on the DX package that brought the ala cart pricing for my level of daily drinks to higher than the sale price. (I got it for $60 PPPD that equals 6ish coffee/club soda/alcohol beverages a day) 

That’s the math I use…everyone has their own way of doing things. 

Wishing you a successful flight and a fun cruise.  We've been on Lady G before, loved her, and will be on Brilliance with the grandkids (ages 8, 10, and 12) and our adult daughters and their spouses in June to Alaska.  Again, it's a smaller ship, but they've never cruised before so I'm not worried that they'll miss what they've never had.  And it's a good way to see if they'll enjoy the experience.  

Kathy D.

• Like 1

Your review popped out to me as Grandeur was my very first cruise (my dad took me when I graduated university).  So excited to follow along and see hear about your cruise.  Am sorry your travel is so stressful.  Weather certainly has gotten more drastic over the years and it's one thing out of our control.  Sending you good vibes for your travels.

• Like 1

Y’all. 

WE MADE IT TO MIAMI. 

7B1223BC-4250-4C0D-A8B5-BEA5656140E0.thumb.jpeg.7a3da3f3064f3102bc9c68ac654cedee.jpeg

The crew took good care of us (as always) and we are officially on vacation!! 

Onwards to the hotel to meet up with my wiser parents who flew in this morning 😆🤦🏼‍♀️

• Like 15

On 3/30/2023 at 10:26 AM, mandyleighflies said:

Also, here is a breakdown of what is in our baggies in liquids bag. Some of you might find it useful, others *like myself* just enjoy looking at photos of things. 

In-Cabin Medical Kit (ICMK) 

Cabin Clean Items 

Items for the Sun and Bug Spray (once again for 5 of us)

Personal Care items and our OWN BINGO dotter. 

Your packing looks a lot like ours😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mandyleighflies said:

Y’all. 

WE MADE IT TO MIAMI. 

I was thinking about you this afternoon and wondering if your flight was a go. Glad you made it to Miami and didn’t have to drive. No, your husband and his keys, that’s a whole other story! 😱😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, perfect match said:

I was thinking about you this afternoon and wondering if your flight was a go. Glad you made it to Miami and didn’t have to drive. No, your husband and his keys, that’s a whole other story! 😱😂

We were the last flight to MIA out of DCA until this afternoon. They had storms and gusty winds last night in DC and no planes could get in or out apparently. They cancelled the flights after us and all the flights this morning. Once again, the motto of “fly in the day before” meets its reasoning. 😂

• Like 6

We are on our way to the port!!! 

Last night we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn MIA West. Free shuttle between airport and hotel. $14 per person one way from hotel to ship. 

Basic hotel. Clean. Friendly staff. Restaurant and bar open until at least 10pm. The majority of the people staying here are airline crew and cruise passengers. No complaints. 

499E7794-7ED5-4FC7-BC85-B62469E87AD1.thumb.jpeg.bfce64dd555ed91cb83b81c20a432e72.jpeg

Let’s get to sailing!! 

• Like 5