The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday March 31st, 2023

StLouisCruisers

My goodness, I just saw some news footage of the terrible tornadoes that went through Little Rock, Arkansas this afternoon.  Prayers for everyone involved!

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

My goodness, I just saw some news footage of the terrible tornadoes that went through Little Rock, Arkansas this afternoon.  Prayers for everyone involved!

Just checking it out.  Looks absolutely awful. 😪

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It's always something, isn't it?  Hope the washer arrives safely and the dryer ASAP.  Once they're delivered put that no admission sign up!

I agree Grytviken is pretty remote!  But it's so interesting and cool to go there and worth any chance you have to make the voyage.  I see you got chairs to sit in to what, remove the boots or have someone help clean them?  We had a device with brushes attached, and handrails to hold on to placed on the shallow area at the shoreline.  We could stand and rub our boots against the brushes while dunked in sea water.  Once on the ship you removed them and put them in your "cage" on a covered deck and the crew cleaned them again for you.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIvSOoNtdHbnZYV9-8k3R5t?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1484521252

I heard about the medical debarks and hope everyone is okay.  

I'm hearing from my family in St. Louis they are under a tornado watch.  I told them to be ready in case it quickly turns to a warning.  Think about what is going with you to the basement and to stay away from windows.  Dogs, of course, and wallet, purse, wedding rings, etc.

As I recall we sat so they could clean the bottom of our boots.  Have you been?  What ship?

Roy

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

As I recall we sat so they could clean the bottom of our boots.  Have you been?  What ship?

Roy

Yes, January 5, 2017 on Seabourn Quest.  It was the 95th anniversary of Shackleton's death there on a ship named Quest.  Ironic!

They are very strict on cleaning your outerwear in both S. Georgia and Antarctica as you know.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Debbie, not sure if she likes to cook but DGD loved to make food videos like she was hosting a cooking show when she was that age. The videos were long sometimes, she could go on and on. I would get out a few ingredients that she could manage and she’d just make something up, like strawberries and RediWhip and sprinkles. Sometimes I’d splurge on other ingredients like fondant and gel food coloring and lady fingers. One time I let her decorate a cake with m&ms. It sure kept her occupied. 

45153A2B-C702-4D14-836A-B63D818E340D.MOV 132.37 MB · 0 downloads  

Oh how adorable Sharon!  And she's so good -- our boys would have been gobbling up the m&ms more than decorating. 😄

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Oh how adorable Sharon!  And she's so good -- our boys would have been gobbling up the m&ms more than decorating. 😄

This reminds me of a fond memory.  When the grandkids were a little younger, we would play Christmas Bingo, a set of Bingo cards I found with Christmas objects like wreaths, Christmas trees, holly, snowmen, all kinds of cute stuff.  To cover "I-wreath" or whatever I would bring bags of Christmas M&M's and hand out to everyone.  You had to have a lot because you know how everyone loves to gobble up the M&M's as we went along.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

@Sharon in AZ and @Cruising-along  I'm sure she'd enjoy that if it involves sugar.  It is a struggle to get her to eat anything that might be remotely healthy.  She zeros in on the sugar and then refuses the rest.  So, I'm going to hold off on doing any thing that might enable that sugar addiction.  My guess is that when she was with her step dad she got the sugar because it was easy for him and he didn't have to deal with 6 year old behavior. Poor thing has been through the wringer and bounced from house to house.  She's currently living with her other Grandma.  The other Grandma has twin daughters a few months younger than River and she herself is about 15 years younger than me.  Better equipped for a 6 year old.  We'll take her when we can, but we can't be full time.  

• Like 12

@marshhawk Annie, our day was a bit like your experience with medical forms. Not exactly forms but trying to interface between 3 different medical portals. The computer can’t get into one or two of them. The phone can but where’s the PDF file?  And the printer wasn’t right either. Got one page printer to take to lab. The results from Monday’s oncology follow up tests were incomplete. At the lab they finally figured out some tests take longer. They lost the page of new orders we printed out. Lessons in accepting that we’re not in control…. 
Slept long last night, finally. Got DH into a bed with elevated head. He wasn’t comfortable but managed. Had more itchiness of the eyes so back to antihistamines. Vision is clearer, that’s great!  Hoping the pressure will stabilize back to a low number when we go Wednesday. Just one step at a time. 

Me?  Groceries are restocked. I got a spiral cut ham that I will cook in the crock if it will fit!  Never thought of that until the recipes from this week, thank you @dfish  

@luvteaching Another day, and a 👍!  Excellent!  

Tomorrow it’s back to taxes!  We’ll get there, or figure something else out I guess. 

Blessings all! Stay safe, stay well!  Maureen

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, dfish said:

@Sharon in AZ and @Cruising-along  I'm sure she'd enjoy that if it involves sugar.  It is a struggle to get her to eat anything that might be remotely healthy.  She zeros in on the sugar and then refuses the rest.  So, I'm going to hold off on doing any thing that might enable that sugar addiction.  My guess is that when she was with her step dad she got the sugar because it was easy for him and he didn't have to deal with 6 year old behavior. Poor thing has been through the wringer and bounced from house to house.  She's currently living with her other Grandma.  The other Grandma has twin daughters a few months younger than River and she herself is about 15 years younger than me.  Better equipped for a 6 year old.  We'll take her when we can, but we can't be full time.  

What is funny is that she doesn’t eat many sweets except for ice cream and sour gummies. Maybe it’s because I didn’t give her many and neither did her parents. 

Debbie, it’s so nice that Sue can see her often and I’m sure you enjoy it too. 

• Like 8

Good evening friends. I need to catch up with yesterday’s Daily.  Today DM and I went for pedicures and lunch. 

It’s been a busy week and I’ve added another segment to my cruise which goes to Alaska. The itinerary is a bit different than we’ve had before so I’m excited about that and Craig is going to join me for that 7 day cruise. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel near Canada Place?  The Pan Pacific is so expensive!

Also, for those experienced with B2B cruises, have you ever had to move cabins on turnaround day?  Do you do it early and do they give you enough time to move?  I hate that I have to pack up and move but I’m changing cabin categories when Craig joins the cruise. 

Have a great evening!

• Like 8

Well @Sharon in AZ there is the Holiday Inn and Suites on Howe St.  I researched for days to get that hotel, and while there are hotels closer to the ship, the closer to water the higher the cost.

Are you and Craig heading south?  Or north?

Thanks for the information about Shackleton's burial ground @rafinmd and @StLouisCruisers Shackleton is our hero.  DH said he wanted to go!  We will have to play the lottery and win to go all the places we want to go.  I'll be happy if I can afford a cruise I saw on HAL for April 2024.

Its a quiet weather night here, high in the 60's currently 70 degrees with VERY WINDY weather tomorrow.  Thanks @JazzyV to remind me to charge my phone.  Temperatures tonight in the 60's and tomorrow night down to 45.  Yippee.

I had an adventure with a racoon this evening.  Chuck was yelling at him, (he was just a little guy) and he was eating Fawn's Temptations.  I went out, and he did not run away, just kept stuffing his face, and he was on a cat bed tube, and was hanging on with his back feet and using his front hands to continuing picking up food and feeding his face.  I haven't had such a good laugh for a while.  He clambered down, I put cat food out for him, but he did not come back.  Too cute.  

Thank you @RedneckBob for reminding me about Howard Johnson fried clams.  When I lived in Boston that was a Friday night treat for me and the guy I dated.  But when I graduated my parents took us both out for dinner, and it was a fancy restaurant on the water.  My date ordered fried clams, and that is what he was brought.  Belly and all, and he had no idea that a clam actually looked like that, and he wouldn't eat them.  My dad pulled me aside, and said "lose this guy"  LOL.   I loved the 3D burgers at HoJo's.

Well, back to the Cornell bird feeder, maybe Bob and I can catch the flying squirrels again.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Well @Sharon in AZ there is the Holiday Inn and Suites on Howe St.  I researched for days to get that hotel, and while there are hotels closer to the ship, the closer to water the higher the cost.

Are you and Craig heading south?  Or north?

North to Alaska— now I won’t be able to get that song out of my head. I’ll check those hotels out. I was just hoping for something close by. Thank you. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel near Canada Place?  The Pan Pacific is so expensive!

Might look at Lonsdale Quay Hotel in North Vancouver.  Seabus connects to downtown with short walk to ship.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Also, for those experienced with B2B cruises, have you ever had to move cabins on turnaround day?  Do you do it early and do they give you enough time to move?  I hate that I have to pack up and move but I’m changing cabin categories when Craig joins the cruise. 

Sharon we've never had to change cabins, but I've read here that the stewards  help you.  Apparently they take whole drawers of things to the new cabin which would sure make it go faster.  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Sharon we've never had to change cabins, but I've read here that the stewards  help you.  Apparently they take whole drawers of things to the new cabin which would sure make it go faster.  

That sure would be nice. I’ll have to ask the stewards when the time happens. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

@marshhawk Annie, our day was a bit like your experience with medical forms. Not exactly forms but trying to interface between 3 different medical portals. The computer can’t get into one or two of them. The phone can but where’s the PDF file?  And the printer wasn’t right either. Got one page printer to take to lab. The results from Monday’s oncology follow up tests were incomplete. At the lab they finally figured out some tests take longer. They lost the page of new orders we printed out. Lessons in accepting that we’re not in control…. 
Slept long last night, finally. Got DH into a bed with elevated head. He wasn’t comfortable but managed. Had more itchiness of the eyes so back to antihistamines. Vision is clearer, that’s great!  Hoping the pressure will stabilize back to a low number when we go Wednesday. Just one step at a time. 

Me?  Groceries are restocked. I got a spiral cut ham that I will cook in the crock if it will fit!  Never thought of that until the recipes from this week, thank you @dfish  

@luvteaching Another day, and a 👍!  Excellent!  

Tomorrow it’s back to taxes!  We’ll get there, or figure something else out I guess. 

Blessings all! Stay safe, stay well!  Maureen

I haven’t posted in a few days because we’re sorting out some difficulties here.   I’m reading the thread starting at the end and your post jumped out.  I remember a quote something like “heaven is two people and a ham.”  
I hope your DH improves and that the ham settles things down.  Sandwiches, ham and eggs…peaceful household.  😊

• Like 9

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, we've changed cabins many times.  The last few times, including last year, we were told to pack everything except the clothes hanging in the closet.  Either the cabin stewards or someone from housekeeping will move your things to the new cabin.  

We've noticed the process has changed over the past five to eight years.  You should get information about changing cabins a day or two before.

Lenda

• Like 9

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I'm thinking the Zuiderdam must be in a wifi dead zone.  I saw yesterday that one of the bloggers (either @tennisbeforewine or @The Inside Cabin had indicated that some people were supposed to go ashore in Dakar for medical treatment, some to stay and others for tests and to return to the ship.  The only one I've heard from today is @WCB that they had made it ashore but don't know if any were able to get their tests done and return to the ship.  I also hope the fuel level is ok and they aren't short on too many fresh supplies.

Roy

No one made it ashore in Dakar.....We had internet issues all day...seems to be back operating now

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4