Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Jim mentioned a few pages back post(#782) that there was trouble with the internet.

Thanks much.... I forgot about that..   it gave me a chance to get a great nap.  

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks Larry... You may want to just start from here.    I can't imagine starting from the beginning. 

Maybe I should publish a Cliff Notes Version ---- oops am I showing my age again. 

Did you the Coles Notes were out first. In Canada 😉

Coles Note help me make  it though high school 😁

Coles Notes are student guides to literature, published in Canada. The Coles bookstore first published Coles Notes in 1948. The first title published was on the French novella Colomba by Prosper Mérimée.[1][2]

In 1958, Jack Cole and Carl Cole, founders of Coles, sold the U.S. rights to Coles Notes to Cliff Hillegass who then published the books under CliffsNotes.

By 1960, Coles notes sales had peaked. They had published over 120 titles, mostly on English novels; however, they also covered other subjects including maths, science, and foreign languages. Coles Notes is currently owned by Indigo Books in Canada.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Did you the Coles Notes were out first. In Canada 😉

Coles Note help me make  it though high school 😁

Coles Notes are student guides to literature, published in Canada. The Coles bookstore first published Coles Notes in 1948. The first title published was on the French novella Colomba by Prosper Mérimée.[1][2]

In 1958, Jack Cole and Carl Cole, founders of Coles, sold the U.S. rights to Coles Notes to Cliff Hillegass who then published the books under CliffsNotes.

By 1960, Coles notes sales had peaked. They had published over 120 titles, mostly on English novels; however, they also covered other subjects including maths, science, and foreign languages. Coles Notes is currently owned by Indigo Books in Canada.

I was just saying to Iain -  I bet the younger generation had never heard of the "study guides".   

Cliff notes were mostly a 30-40 page version of most Literature that you were required to read in High School and College English -   You then condensed that down further for your assigned "Book Report".

For other subjects I would buy the "Dummie's Books"     One of the first I bought was DOS for Dummies followed with Windows 1 for Dummies.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was just saying to Iain -  I bet the younger generation had never heard of the "study guides".   

Cliff notes were mostly a 30-40 page version of most Literature that you were required to read in High School and College English -   You then condensed that down further for your assigned "Book Report".

For other subjects I would buy the "Dummie's Books"     One of the first I bought was DOS for Dummies followed with Windows 1 for Dummies.  

Now students  use A-I to ghost write  term papers! Kind of defeats the concept of education/ learning!

Back to Back envelope delivered this morning.  No B2B meeting.  Iain pointed out the error that we aren’t in a Sky Suite.   Normal Celebrities proof readers. 

At least short and sweet and better than the dreaded luggage tags. 

IMG_2424.thumb.jpeg.4579610f6f562ee01f5c713736732acd.jpeg

IMG_2425.thumb.jpeg.d689dba4add6013c488a1b508fdd4345.jpeg

On 4/12/2023 at 2:07 PM, Jim_Iain said:

In Silicon Valley 155k is a small town.   LOL -  

Actually you can no longer tell where one town ends and one begins and just blends into the Greater Bay Area that has a population of 7.8 Million. 

Just found this thread and I'm trying to catch up and follow along.  I'm from your "neck of the woods" and have booked a Retreat suite on the Apex for Summer 2024 so I'm really enjoying all the information and photos you are sharing.  Have a fantastic voyage.

On 4/12/2023 at 11:40 AM, Jim_Iain said:

My understanding is that it doesn't have to do with the size of Apex just that they are cutting the number of ships  allowed through the locks (something like 50%).   Which will limit the salt intrusion.

It is really weird that that TA goes into Rotterdam, the Norwegian Fjord cruise embarks in Rotterdam and returns to Amsterdam then the British Isle will embark Amsterdam and disembark in Rotterdam.

Jim, I really look forward to your review.

I've been following the Port of Amsterdam news since we we're sailing there this summer.

For your loyal readers - the Port of Amsterdam website has news articles on the changes to sea lock operation due to the long drought in the Netherlands (this issue dates back to last summer).  Instead of opening the sea lock on demand as ships arrive, they are gathering ships in groups and opening the lock only when sufficient ships are waiting and only then on a strict schedule (every 12 hours as I recall).  This reduces the number of passages through the lock, which reduces the number of times the lock is opened, which reduces the salt water incursion (since the drought has reduced the flow of fresh water that naturally forms the boundary between the fresh water of the port and the sea).  I speculate that this causes the cruise lines significant scheduling issues (and probably marine traffic jams in the port every 12 hours), and has resulted in cancellations and port changes as unintended consequences of the lock operations.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I checked with my best friend - Mr Google (headquartered within walking distance to my home)

image.thumb.png.782e7653a7d789913773875175d7ead8.png

Yesterday out of curiosity I looked up the origin of the word - Tip

Found two -

1.  The word "tip" was first used as a verb in 1707 in George Farquhar's play The Beaux' Stratagem. Farquhar used the term after it had been "used in criminal circles as a word meant to imply the unnecessary and gratuitous gifting of something somewhat taboo, like a joke, or a sure bet, or illicit money exchanges."

2.    According to a well-known story, tipping originated in 18th century English coffee houses and taverns. Supposedly, patrons would put coins in a box marked To Insure Promptness, or TIP.

However, nobody has ever found any antique TIP boxes or any mention of them in old books, diaries or letters. Moreover, acronyms, as such words are called, were so rare in earlier times that the word "acronym" itself didn't appear until the 1940s.

Thanks to you and your BFF Mr. Google.

Jim - Wanted to pop back in and thank you again for the suggestions on getting the Covid kits.  Not only did I order the 4 from USPS yesterday, but today my DH was able to get the 8 free test at Walgreens for showing his Medicare card.  I like that they are Antigen test, so took the suggestion from someone else on this thread about taking them out of the box and placing in a baggie.  We will be taking two of the Antigen, and the other 4 from USPS on our upcoming cruise. 😉

1 hour ago, WeeDram said:

I've been following the Port of Amsterdam news since we we're sailing there this summer.

For your loyal readers - the Port of Amsterdam website has news articles on the changes to sea lock operation due to the long drought in the Netherlands (this issue dates back to last summer).  Instead of opening the sea lock on demand as ships arrive, they are gathering ships in groups and opening the lock only when sufficient ships are waiting and only then on a strict schedule (every 12 hours as I recall).  This reduces the number of passages through the lock, which reduces the number of times the lock is opened, which reduces the salt water incursion (since the drought has reduced the flow of fresh water that naturally forms the boundary between the fresh water of the port and the sea).  I speculate that this causes the cruise lines significant scheduling issues (and probably marine traffic jams in the port every 12 hours), and has resulted in cancellations and port changes as unintended consequences of the lock operations.

Thank you for your insights, this makes perfect sense and explains a lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Now students  use A-I to ghost write  term papers! Kind of defeats the concept of education/ learning!

Well educators are fighting back.  Some local professors are scanning student essays into computers that look for syntax and phrasing that matches AI and other previously published work.

With AI the rule is garbage in and garbage out.  Evidently it is not hard to sort student vs AI or plagiarism. 

• Like 5

I had a professor that told us about a student that wrote an excellent paper  on the given subject. 

He returned the paper with a F for the student and A+ for the author.   There was also a note to reread the article and the name of  the author.    The professor was the author.  

His intention of telling this was to always look at the author, publisher, date and etc.    Just  because it it in print doesn’t make it true.  You have to consider the source, when it was published and etc.  and also not to copy the instructor’s paper.  😱

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/18/2023 at 7:29 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Maybe it's just the time we go to the Retreat (about 7:30 PM) but the Bartender just isn't as attentive as other lounges whether Michael's Club or Retreat.    Patrick is a superstar and very responsive.   The bartender seems to spend more time stocking things than taking care of customers and most of the guest have to go up to the bar and pickup and order their own drinks.

I think that in addition to different perspectives on the decor, we are seeing different perspectives on what we expect from a bar. Some like a nice lounge with comfortable chairs and good servers and some prefer a compatico bar - by which I mean a commodious bar with ample chairs, friendly denizens, and expert interactive bartenders.

With a pretty cramped bar situated such that the bartenders can see only a portion of the lounge and such that any queue to the restrooms impinges on the bar’s airspace, I’d say the Retreat is a lounge with an afterthought bar (Edge didn’t have one at all). We’ve enjoyed comfortable lounges and compatico (yeah, I made up this label … and sober, too) bars.  Our favorite bars offer us a choice.

Edited by WeeDram
Omitted word
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I remember using the U.K. version for some of my studies, especially the books I found boring 😂

5 hours ago, miched said:

I had a professor that told us about a student that wrote an excellent paper  on the given subject. 

He returned the paper with a F for the student and A+ for the author.   There was also a note to reread the article and the name of  the author.    The professor was the author.  

His intention of telling this was to always look at the author, publisher, date and etc.    Just  because it it in print doesn’t make it true.  You have to consider the source, when it was published and etc.  and also not to copy the instructor’s paper.  😱

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I liked this!

Apparently Elon Musk has come out with some cautionary tales..on A-I

but I do enjoy info from Jim and his friend Google! ( always verify)

Edited by hcat

18 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

Just found this thread and I'm trying to catch up and follow along.  I'm from your "neck of the woods" and have booked a Retreat suite on the Apex for Summer 2024 so I'm really enjoying all the information and photos you are sharing.  Have a fantastic voyage.

Fantastic.   What city are you from?  

Apex is an amazing staff and one of the friendliness staff you will find.    

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WeeDram said:

Thanks for sharing... That is great information to understand.   I hadn't heard of the drought and just assumed it was the sea levels raising.    I'm guessing it is a combination of the two.

The Dutch are incredible with their reclamation and dyke system.  

Years ago -  We were on Millennium for her maiden voyage to Amsterdam.    It included the Fire boat welcoming on arrival and a Gay Men's Group Choir Lined along the roof of the TErminal to sing Farewell Goodby -   What a memorable cruise.

When we left we sent through some lock system that were tiny and the ship could barely fit into them.  It was along a road and car's were pulled over to watch and wave at us.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Jim - Wanted to pop back in and thank you again for the suggestions on getting the Covid kits.  Not only did I order the 4 from USPS yesterday, but today my DH was able to get the 8 free test at Walgreens for showing his Medicare card.  I like that they are Antigen test, so took the suggestion from someone else on this thread about taking them out of the box and placing in a baggie.  We will be taking two of the Antigen, and the other 4 from USPS on our upcoming cruise. 😉

Glad it worked out.    It was my daughter who told me they were still offering them through USPS after I absconded with her last 2.    It's incredible that since the have declared the epidemic over that they are still offering them but maybe they have a stockpile to work off.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Well educators are fighting back.  Some local professors are scanning student essays into computers that look for syntax and phrasing that matches AI and other previously published work.

With AI the rule is garbage in and garbage out.  Evidently it is not hard to sort student vs AI or plagiarism. 

I've heard that but you have to remember back in the stone ages when I was in school the portable computer was not to be invented for another 20 years.   I had one of the first with DOS 1.0 and Two huge floopy drives.   The home hard drive was not available yer.    I worked for a Disk Drive Company and we had one of the first home Hard Drive.... About $800 and weighed 10 pounds.     They had huge capacity of 10 Megabytes.   Yes Megabytes.    

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WeeDram said:

I think that in addition to different perspectives on the decor, we are seeing different perspectives on what we expect from a bar. Some like a nice lounge with comfortable chairs and good servers and some prefer a compatico bar - by which I mean a commodious bar with ample chairs, friendly denizens, and expert interactive bartenders.

With a pretty cramped bar situated such that the bartenders can see only a portion of the lounge and such that any queue to the restrooms impinges on the bar’s airspace, I’d say the Retreat is a lounge with an afterthought bar (Edge didn’t have one at all). We’ve enjoyed comfortable lounges and compatico (yeah, I made up this label … and sober, too) bars.  Our favorite bars offer us a choice.

I like the Retreat Lounge on the E-Class but I feel like I'm in an Airport Lounge.  

I was originally excited that they put a bar on Apex but was thinking they would have seating like on the S-Class.   The S-Class bar was always our go to place.   Always good conversation with the Bar Tender and the guests. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I like the Retreat Lounge on the E-Class but I feel like I'm in an Airport Lounge.  

I was originally excited that they put a bar on Apex but was thinking they would have seating like on the S-Class.   The S-Class bar was always our go to place.   Always good conversation with the Bar Tender and the guests. 

So what is the bar situation in Retreat? Please take a photo, I'm curious.

5 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I wonder if they would have ever caught me.   I always took such detailed book and class room notes that I would sell them so I had enough money to eat.    When that failed I  use to make money selling my blood and shhh... Running Cigarettes over the boarder from S.C. to Tennessee.    I could buy them for 25 Cents a pack and sell them for 50 Cents a pack... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, hcat said:

I liked this!

Apparently Elon Musk has come out with some cautionary tales..on A-I

but I do enjoy info from Jim and his friend Google! ( always verify)

Ahhh... come on we all know if you  read it on the Internet it must be true.  LOL   I saw on the Internet yesterday that Elon had a 420 party yesterday and blew some smoke in the air.