nybumpkin's Thoughts About Sailing from NYC in the Off-Season

nybumpkin

One of the questions that has come up about Carnival Venezia's plan to sail year-round from New York is the weather. Up to now, we sailed from New York a number of times - but all in the June-August time frame. However, I had occasion to sail Norwegian Prima recently, with an end of March/early April time frame, and told some of you that I'd share my thoughts about sailing from New York this early in the season. So here's my review of our 5-day sail to Bermuda. Bottom line: I'll stick to summer. It's just too chilly for my taste. But I do want to sail on Venezia!

• Like 3

After reading your review I think you nailed it, sailing out of NYC in the "off season" is ok, but you really need to get down to Caribbean on a longer trip to get the experience you're looking for. Bermuda is not a winter months destination for many (myself included)

• Like 1

I had looked at sailing on Venezia for January 2024, but did not want to "waste" 2 days getting down to warm weather, and then freezing on the way back up. Ended up booking out of Florida.  Really wanted to save the airfare and hotel, but oh well.    Our NY winters are so unpredictable now - no snow this winter to speak of - but we could hit blizzards next year!  Wanted to try Venezia but as she is not sailing until June the dates just aren't jiving for us right now.  Will look into trying her possibly next May or June- before school lets out.  Love sailing out of NY - passing the Statue etc. is one of the best sail-aways anywhere.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link to the review, and nice job.  I agree on your views of year round sailing out of NYC.  It will be interesting to see how it works this time for Carnival.  Last time with Splendor she was sailing half full in winter months.   

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

I had looked at sailing on Venezia for January 2024, but did not want to "waste" 2 days getting down to warm weather, and then freezing on the way back up. Ended up booking out of Florida.  Really wanted to save the airfare and hotel, but oh well.    Our NY winters are so unpredictable now - no snow this winter to speak of - but we could hit blizzards next year!  Wanted to try Venezia but as she is not sailing until June the dates just aren't jiving for us right now.  Will look into trying her possibly next May or June- before school lets out.  Love sailing out of NY - passing the Statue etc. is one of the best sail-aways anywhere.

Totally agree on the sail away from nyc

we are on the Venezia the end of October, but it's a 12 nt sailing to the Southern Caribbean.  

sailaway night, then three sea days.  5 days on islands.  then 3 more sea days.  

im hoping to have non-chill weather the first night so i can at least be outside for passing under the big bridge on the way to open water.  

An interesting topic as I imagine there are a range of views.  I think it relates to what “kind” of cruiser you are.  If you are a cruiser who loves to sunbathe and be by the pool, I can definitely see how that will be a problem for you. 

With that being said, I cruise from NY year round on one line or another, and so long as they position the right ship there (meaning it has to have a least one covered pool) I find it to be a great time, and very convenient/economical for those of us in New England.  

I am very excited that Carnival is taking this step along with MSC.  I know NCL has been doing it, but they’re missing that key component of having the covered pool area on several of the ships they position out of NY.

Anyway, just my $.02

• Like 2

Patti and I don't hang out by the pools and hot tubs so not being on the open decks for the first and last day or two doesn't bother us at all. We won't do a Bermuda cruise April, May, or October for the very reasons Kathy pointed out, but we're in for a longer Caribbean cruise in the winter. 😎

Edited by Jamman54

Having sailed from New York to the Caribbean several times in January on HAL (before they got Carnivalized) I really  enjoyed the passage down the Hudson - followed by hitting the 70 degree Gulf Stream by early afternoon of the first full day . True, the last day was cold, but was a small price for avoiding the cost/need of two winter flights and a pre-cruise hotel stay.   Of course, living about an hour outside of NYC played a part.

A winter Bahamas cruise from NY does not attract - and I doubt there are any to Bermuda.

Nothing beats going down the Hudson after sunset with the city lights all aglow. Yes, it is a bit cold out but dress for the weather on departure, and well worth it. Even had crew out there with me taking night shots. 

I was on a sailing where we got just under the Verrazano Bridge in an aft suite and I said to my wife we were turning around. She didn't believe me (what wife does) but we were. We returned to MCT for a crewmember that had fallen down the stairs.

With the ambulance waiting on the pier were also about 12 checked bags that were taken on board some lucky pax.

The Capitan did make a PA announcement that started "Ladies and Gentlemen now that our crewmember is safely off the ship receiving proper medical attention we will continue our harbor lights night cruise"

We did a winter HAL cruise from Manhattan a number of years ago. Very cold departure, but seeing the lights of the city start to come on, around 4pm as we prepared to depart, and then sailing into the sunset, was so magical.

We now do winter Caribbean departures from Baltimore every year. Winter coat, hat, gloves for departure; they go under the bed by the second day.  We enjoy it.  Perhaps not being pool people, or even caring about having hot weather, helps, but it is among our favorites.

On 4/20/2023 at 9:11 AM, Brighton Line said:

Nothing beats going down the Hudson after sunset with the city lights all aglow.

Especially for people who do not reside in New York City. On the other hand, all the commuters who travel on the Staten Island Ferry each day may find it more productive to spend the time unpacking, than to watch city from the water and have it remind them of going to and from work.

On 4/23/2023 at 10:34 PM, GTJ said:

Especially for people who do not reside in New York City. On the other hand, all the commuters who travel on the Staten Island Ferry each day may find it more productive to spend the time unpacking, than to watch city from the water and have it remind them of going to and from work.

The last time I rode the Guy V. Molinari we didn't travel up the Hudson... Even when I was on the Kennedy never went there 😉 Though one trip on the NCL Gem I did in fact start unpacking once we went under the Verrazzano but not when coming down the Hudson.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just booked a 12 day Southern Caribbean on the Carnival Venezia sailing on November 24th-December 6th. I'm already so excited, this is a bucket list trip for sure, husband and I have never been to New York and the idea of sailing away on a cruise sounds amazing. We are from Arizona, and I dream of visiting NY in the fall/winter months. I can't wait to see the Christmas decorations in the big city! We have been on many cruises but never from NY. Only CA, Tx and FL.

I'm excited to start off in the cold and make our way down to the warm Caribbean. Us Arizonan's find the cold weather a rare treat. lol

• Like 2