Question about numbers of children on board during Easter Week (Spring Break)

Luvcrusn

Just curious if there is feedback about the numbers of children/teens on board during the week between Palm and Easter Sundays. Specifically aboard Silhouette, but also any ship. Was the ship full? TIA

I don't have numbers specifically.  But historically, as well as from reports here and on FB threads, the ships have been very crowded during Spring Break in general.  There are generally considerably more kids than usual, with that number really varying but could definitely be in the area of several hundred.  I don't know Silhouette's schedule - is it a 7 night?  Anything longer than that tends to have fewer, and less than that even more (we had 700 on Connie a number of years ago).  I'll leave it to people who actually sailed that week to give more specific numbers.  

21 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't have numbers specifically.  But historically, as well as from reports here and on FB threads, the ships have been very crowded during Spring Break in general.  There are generally considerably more kids than usual, with that number really varying but could definitely be in the area of several hundred.  I don't know Silhouette's schedule - is it a 7 night?  Anything longer than that tends to have fewer, and less than that even more (we had 700 on Connie a number of years ago).  I'll leave it to people who actually sailed that week to give more specific numbers.  

We're looking at a 10 night Caribbean that leaves the day after Palm Sunday and returns the Thursday after Easter.

45 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

We're looking at a 10 night Caribbean that leaves the day after Palm Sunday and returns the Thursday after Easter.

We were on Edge for a 10 day cruise at almost the same time frame.  There was probably less than 100 kids on board.  

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

The extended cruise length assures that your cruise will not be over run with families and kids.  We sailed during Easter week--coincidentally on a 10 night Caribbean cruise--but it was a long time ago.  There were families and kids on board (including ours), but nothing crazy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Just curious if there is feedback about the numbers of children/teens on board during the week between Palm and Easter Sundays. Specifically aboard Silhouette, but also any ship. Was the ship full? TIA

We were on a B2B on Summit (April 8-17).  The first leg had 2300 paz and the second had 100 less.  Maybe 10 babies/toddlers and a small number of teens on board; quite a large number of families and 4-6 people traveling together  The average age of the paz seemed closer to 45 than 65. This all might have been because these 2 cruises were 5 nights and 4 nights, respectively, which made it a convenient "get away" for families.

Sailed on Solstice on April 8, Mexican Riviera - was told ship had 2850 passengers, 170 children on board.  We did see kids, but the only place they were actually very evident was the Oceanview.

We were b2b on Silhouette from 27 March to 10 April this Easter this year. 10+4. 
Turnaround day was 6.April. 
it was lots of multigenerational families. Many from U.K. and lots of US families on the 10.days sailing. So at least 100+ children on the first part. 
On the 4-days sailing it was a million kids😝 The age went down drastically and it was a completely different vibe on the ship. Families and young couple’s. 
Feeling as a packed Rccl cruise. 

We were on the Beyond Mar 19 and also the following week.   There were over 300 on both.   As with any of them most were well behaved but there were those few that were unruly and obnoxious and the parents didn’t do anything to control them and many were in the suites.  One of the couple had a kid that would run around Liminae.   The father would always came in later joining them and always wore black sweat pants and a white T shirt.   

Lesson learned don’t cruise on a 7 day or shorter cruise during that time if you don’t want to be around a bunch of kids. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

25 minutes ago, miched said:

Lesson learned don’t cruise on a 7 day or shorter cruise during that time if you don’t want to be around a bunch of kids. 

This seems to be the deciding factor as we took a quick 5 night Summit cruise the week after Easter and not only was the ship over normal capacity due to the large number of children but many were running loose around the ship, banging on cabin doors and such. It was a sharp contrast to the Beyond cruise we took in February so, since relaxation is our goal, we have learned our lesson as well.

15 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I think your cruise will not have too many kids.  10 nighters usually attract an older crowd, although at this time of year you might see a few more than usual.  Since your cruise crosses over two different weeks, that will help as well. 

• Thanks 1

We were on a Edge Panama Canal (11 night) cruise just before Easter and we had 5 children onboard.  I would say longer itineraries during school season means less kids.

Also remember that around the country, spring break occurs during different weeks in March and April so you really can’t plan on a specific week for spring break to avoid kids

Edited by Cruise till you drop

36 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

We were on a Edge Panama Canal (11 night) cruise just before Easter and we had 5 children onboard.  I would say longer itineraries during school season means less kids.

This is what we are hoping for on Beyond Panama Canal next March. We've done longer cruises in March & April and very few children. One 7 day cruise years ago out of Baltimore was over run with unruly  kids. A 7 day Bermuda cruise in very late August out of New Jersey had a lot of kids but they were well behaved.

We were on the Beyond the week before Easter, and there were 400 or so children on board.  This was a 7 day cruise.  I think longer cruises would have less kids on board.

Edited by oceanbeau10
  • Thanks 1

On Apex the week before Easter the ship was full, there were many kids, but no one seemed unruly or obnoxious.  Only a small number of kids in Retreat.  From what we can tell and two sailings, Celebrity does a great job of developing a safe experience for passengers of all ages.  Crew was great, and kids seemed happy.  

Since kids only get one week, and sometimes one week and a day, such as Easter Monday, for spring break, you won't see many kids on a 10-day cruise. That would require too much time off for school, particularly since there's the requirement of flying in a day or two in advance on top of the time off for the actual cruise. I recently asked this question elsewhere and the consensus for a week-long cruise was that there was anywhere from 200-400 kids on a spring break cruise with a ship of approximately 2,700 passengers. 

My MIL and FIL sailed on the Reflection over Good Friday on the April 2 sailing this year.  They said it by far had the most children they have ever seen on a Celebrity Cruise.  They felt like they "took over" the pools, etc.  They also mentioned they announced the ship was at 100% capacity.  they said they still had a great cruise, it was just a different vibe than what they were use to.  

I was just on Solstice for Easter week with my 2 teens. Reports beforehand from someone on board said 400 kids. I don't think we saw/encountered anywhere near that many. Last year we were on Royal over Easter week and that was a whole different story!!!

On 4/24/2023 at 11:10 AM, lolawpb said:

This seems to be the deciding factor as we took a quick 5 night Summit cruise the week after Easter and not only was the ship over normal capacity due to the large number of children but many were running loose around the ship, banging on cabin doors and such. It was a sharp contrast to the Beyond cruise we took in February so, since relaxation is our goal, we have learned our lesson as well.

We were on the 5 day Summit Easter weekend cruise (8-13) and did not see any of this. I was surprised there weren’t more kids onboard. All seemed normal to me- and the ship was apparently full. 

We were on the Millennium out of San Juan (7 days) over this past Easter. We didn't realize it was Easter when we booked, There were more families and kids than I expected (until I realized it was Easter). The captain said the ship was close to capacity. We never saw/had any issues with kids running amok, they all seemed well behaved.

The only thing was we did notice they had hours (4-7?) where kids were permitted in the Solarium. Didn't affect us though as we never used it anyway,  and not sure if that fluctuates depending on the cruise clientele.

On 4/23/2023 at 5:47 PM, Luvcrusn said:

I’m not sure that many public school systems tailor their spring break around Easter anymore.  And back when ours did, it was the week after Easter.