New procedure for Seapass distribution?

My brother and his family just boarded the Wonder yesterday.  They said they had to retrieve their Seapass cards from their stateroom door.

I had not heard of this, yet!  I searched CC and found it had been discussed a few times.   Is this a fleetwide thing?  I'm going to miss getting my Seapass first thing before boarding the ship!!  I look forward to that and hearing the "bong" as you scan your card and board!   🙂  

1 minute ago, peter1975 said:

My brother and his family just boarded the Wonder yesterday.  They said they had to retrieve their Seapass cards from their stateroom door.

I had not heard of this, yet!  I searched CC and found it had been discussed a few times.   Is this a fleetwide thing?  I'm going to miss getting my Seapass first thing before boarding the ship!!  I look forward to that and hearing the "bong" as you scan your card and board!   🙂  

They scan your paper or digital seapass when you board, and your cards will be at your door.

You do still get the "bing bong" sound.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

If I remember it was before Covid. 

Possibly so.  I only know it was not like this on my last cruise in April 2018.   I had also not seen any discission about it on CC, but that's probably because I wasn't on CC much around Covid and the birth of my 3 1/2 year old (knowing it would be a while before I was able to cruise again!)

• Like 1

I've been cruising on RCCL since 2016, exclusively.  I don't ever remember getting my SeaPass card at the Terminal Check-in.  It's always been either in the mailbox at the cabin door or the Genie gave it to us when in the suite.  

Personally, I'd prefer to get it at the Terminal Check-in.  That way, I can put my phone in my backpack and/or not have to keep pulling out a piece of paper.  

11 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I've been cruising on RCCL since 2016, exclusively.  I don't ever remember getting my SeaPass card at the Terminal Check-in.  It's always been either in the mailbox at the cabin door or the Genie gave it to us when in the suite.  

Personally, I'd prefer to get it at the Terminal Check-in.  That way, I can put my phone in my backpack and/or not have to keep pulling out a piece of paper.  

Depended on the ship.  Several started pre Covid while the rest followed after the restart

• Like 1

Of course, it's not always at your cabin.  Last cruise, we got to cabin probably no earlier than 2 and no sea pass.  I had to call housekeeping twice before we finally got our sea pass.  Without sea pass, you can't get into your room.  Wasn't too happy about this after a long trip.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, peter1975 said:

Possibly so.  I only know it was not like this on my last cruise in April 2018.   I had also not seen any discission about it on CC, but that's probably because I wasn't on CC much around Covid and the birth of my 3 1/2 year old (knowing it would be a while before I was able to cruise again!)

I don’t recall the exact date, but they started issuing cards outside the cabins sometime in 2019. 

Some cruise lines were doing this pre-COVID.

It was quite a shock when I told my 88 y/o mom they required her to bring her phone for check-in.  She worried the cord from the wall wasn't long enough to stretch to the port.

Oh, and they took those 8-Track tape players out of the room too!

😆🤣

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t recall the exact date, but they started issuing cards outside the cabins sometime in 2019. 

As mentioned earlier, initially it was a ship specific thing and it happened on Q class ships before that. It went fleetwide after the start up.

• Like 1

Just now, Cruisin'4Us said:

Is their check-in information available on their parent's phone, or must they use their paper seapass?

You'll have access to everyone's SetSail pass on one device for terminal check in purposes.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You'll have access to everyone's SetSail pass on one device for terminal check in purposes.

Or you could just print the darn things & have the kids hold them.  My kids thought they were all that & a ham sandwich to be able to hand this important paper to the check in staff when they were little.  Now they feel that way at the bar!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1.  Just print anything out in case phone reception dies, gets lost, inconvenient.

2.   Check that it’s your name on the card when you get to your stateroom.   If not, you might be at the wrong stateroom…..happened to a friend on a recent cruise.  She had started to unpack when the “real” occupants showed up 🤣🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, poocher said:

Or you could just print the darn things & have the kids hold them.  My kids thought they were all that & a ham sandwich to be able to hand this important paper to the check in staff when they were little.  Now they feel that way at the bar!

That about sums up growing up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

As mentioned earlier, initially it was a ship specific thing and it happened on Q class ships before that. It went fleetwide after the start up.

Yep. And when Harmony rolled out they did it this way.  I remember boarding the Harmony back in 2016 and the key was at your cabin.  It felt pretty odd at that time.  

• Like 1