Came off of Equinox (4/15/23) with CoVid

edgeman61

Disembarked from the Equinox in Port Everglades on 4/15/23, felt fine.

Took Celebrity transfer to FLL.

Noticed scratchy throat after arriving home.

Positive antigen test on Sunday 4/16/23.

I was traveling alone and was very careful to stay masked in the public areas of the ship and on excursion transport.

I must of picked it up during a shared table breakfast in the MDR as that's the only time I would be unmasked with other passengers.

Less likely that I could have picked it up at FLL but again, I was masked in the airport.

Feeling better after a week, just slight cold symptoms now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We think we got covid onboard a Princess ship in December, as I started having coughing spurts the day before we disembarked.

But at the airport, they were not letting passengers go through security until 2 hours before your flight, so people were packed everywhere waiting.  I would be surprised if I got it there.  It was ridiculous how they were handling that.  There were barely places to stand and avoid being face to face with people.

26 minutes ago, edgeman61 said:

Disembarked from the Equinox in Port Everglades on 4/15/23, felt fine.

Took Celebrity transfer to FLL.

Noticed scratchy throat after arriving home.

Positive antigen test on Sunday 4/16/23.

just slight cold symptoms now.

If you do not mind, are you vaccinated ?

Yes, the original two shot Moderna, two boosters of the original vaccine and one booster of the omicron bivalent.  Roughly a booster every 6-9 months.

It probably lessened the severity, I barely ever coughed.  Felt like a mild flu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, edgeman61 said:

Yes, the original two shot Moderna, two boosters of the original vaccine and one booster of the omicron bivalent.  Roughly a booster every 6-9 months.

That is what I figured.  Thanks for your answers.  

• Like 1

Do a lot of people still take a covid test when they get the sniffles? 

I’ve taken two in my life, both times to board a cruise.  Glad that’s over. I think I have two of the proctored tests still taking up shelf space. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

I must of picked it up during a shared table breakfast in the MDR as that's the only time I would be unmasked with other passengers.

Since the tables are very close to each other in the MDR, you could also have picked it up from any of the nearby tables.

We returned from the Solstice on April 15.  We wore masks a lot during the first day, but stopped beginning on the second day.  Since we were spending about six hours a day eating and/or drinking, we figured we were unmasked too much for the mask to make a difference.  We did not get sick on the cruise.

I would estimate that only one out of 50-100 passengers wore masks, and virtually no crew did.

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Certainly! Although my case would likely be mild, I'd feel awful if I were positive and infected somebody else who might end up with a more serious case. If I have Covid, I'll isolate. If I test negative, I'll still take precautions like masking in public, but won't lock myself in at home. I hope others would take the same care for their community.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Glad you are feeling better, but IMO Covid is non-news.  If you leave your house you can get it.  That said we do use our tests when we are feeling under the weather.

We got off the Equinox in January and two of our friends had Covid upon our return.  DH felt crappy we went to Urgent care, not covid, not the flu just some creeping crud.  In March hadn't been out except for shopping and DH came down with covid.  I took no precautions other than testing before going out for anything and never got it.  

We don't know, but anyone who feels it's a risk has the option to stay home but it is here to stay!

Edited by Dar & Bob
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Boarded on the 15th and came off today and there was no Covid that we knew of on the ship. An there were almost no masks being worn.

There is really no way to know for sure anymore if there is Covid.  They make no announcements.  The staff is likely discouraged from talking about it.  In addition, many people might have it and not report it, or have such a mild case they don't even know about it.  I would be willing to bet a good amount of $$ that there is Covid on every single sailing on every single cruise line.  A ship with zero Covid would be a statistical miracle.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’ve taken two in my life, both times to board a cruise.  Glad that’s over. I think I have two of the proctored tests still taking up shelf space. 

I think they do.  While the current versions don't generally cause serious symptoms to the public at large, they are still very dangerous for people with certain vulnerabilities.  So I for one want to know if I have it so I can make sure to do what is morally right to avoid infecting them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Just now, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I thought these posts were over. Haven't seen one for a long time. 

And I wish we wouldn't see any again.  Unless there is a big, or serious outbreak on a sailing I don't want to hear about it  Covid is here to stay, and everyone will almost certainly get it at one time or another.  It serves no purpose to hear about individual cases.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

And I wish we wouldn't see any again.  Unless there is a big, or serious outbreak on a sailing I don't want to hear about it  Covid is here to stay, and everyone will almost certainly get it at one time or another.  It serves no purpose to hear about individual cases.

Agree, you said it better than I did. Enjoy your next cruise.

• Like 3

My friend last month had major flu-like symptoms, and I did have only sniffles.  We both had COVID and one likely gave it to the other.  I had to test because we were in close contact.  Otherwise, I would have gone to work and spread it around there thinking I only had allergies.  Thankfully we have vaccines and treatments so it's not as severe for most people as it was a few years ago. 

• Like 2

As others have mentioned, Covid is here to stay. Testing serves little purpose (as you should be careful about sharing your germs anytime you feel poorly!)

Before Covid it was Norovirus.....which is still with us, just no one posts about it anymore. Germs are everywhere. Wash your hands often, keep your hands away from your face and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2