If you like Infinite balconies, why?

AliceS

5 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Even in my ignorance regarding cruise ship efficiency, this certainly seems to be sound reasoning. If indeed that is the case, does Celebrity now catch a break from all the negative IV and Brand related commentary? Those who dislike the Infinite Verandas will continue to dislike them but does the logic behind their creation validate X's attempt to become more efficient and thus cost effective. I would hope so. Can we get away from thinking that X is intentionally deserting loyalists, old folks, light sleepers and real balcony purists?

Also, could it be that over the years there have been many cases of "standard balcony abuse"? Open balcony doors, low AC temp settings to offset heat discomfort when sitting on the balcony. It's not your dime, at the time, but sometime in the future your cruise cost might include another person's electric bill...so to speak.

Of all the traditional balcony cabins we have been in, the A/C cuts off when the balcony door is open. Close the door and the A/C works again. That is the way the A/C systems work on the multiple cruise lines we have been on.

Efficiency doesn’t explain why suites, which are more numerous on E-class, don't have IVs. 

I suspect it is because X knows that they can't charge the high premiums for an inferior product.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Of all the traditional balcony cabins we have been in, the A/C cuts off when the balcony door is open. Close the door and the A/C works again. That is the way the A/C systems work on the multiple cruise lines we have been on.

Not on any Celebrity ship - other  than in IV cabins - the Aircon stays on. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, the penguins said:

My goodness, That is a waste of energy. I had no idea. Thank you for the correction. It has been several years since we sailed on Millie and a couple of years since we sailed in the S class ships.

11 hours ago, the penguins said:

Wow. Really?  I thought I was very sure that our ac turned off when we had the balcony door open when on Solstice. In fact, I’ve been in at least one situation where my neighbor’s open door impacted my room’s ac (on MSC). 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, coffeebean said:

That does make sense.

I went to Captain Taso’s talk on “ How to Build a Ship” while I was on the Edge. He was the buildout Captain for the Edge and he discussed that the design of the ship above and below made a huge impact on fuel consumption. I can’t remember the exact savings but it was noticeable.

I had zero issues with the IV cabins. In fact I have one booked for Ascent. I had a balcony once and found I did not use it as much as I thought I would, having the full window and being able to open the window and hear the ocean was a plus for me.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow. Really?  I thought I was very sure that our ac turned off when we had the balcony door open when on Solstice. In fact, I’ve been in at least one situation where my neighbor’s open door impacted my room’s ac (on MSC). 

I agree. Hopefully @chengkp75 will chime in with the correct answer. 

16 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Efficiency doesn’t explain why suites, which are more numerous on E-class, don't have IVs. 

I suspect it is because X knows that they can't charge the high premiums for an inferior product.

Interesting to note that suites do not have the IV technology.

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Perhaps on MSC but not on Solstice. 

2 hours ago, coffeebean said:

My goodness, That is a waste of energy. I had no idea. Thank you for the correction. It has been several years since we sailed on Millie and a couple of years since we sailed in the S class ships.

Try opening your cabin door whilst the balcony door is open and you will instantly feel the gale that sweeps through the cabin caused by the Aircon. It also explains the notice on the balcony door telling you to keep it closed. Also as you walk the corridors you can hear the "whistling" sound that's caused when a balcony door is left open.

Finally as the Aircon is connected in pairs leaving your balcony door open also has as adverse affect on your neighbors cabin as the system tries to cope.

Say it isn't so. Could it be? Have standard balcony rooms met their demise, while infinite verandas are on the rise. Is it possible that cruise passenger behavior and indifference is a big reason for a radical change in a particular cabin category on X ships? If so, you'll pardon me, but I'm chuckling to myself right now. How ironic that the very cruisers who degrade the IV, may very well be the reasons for their own agitation and displeasure with current Edge Class events. A very interesting and valid hypothesis. 

@Spif Barwunkel I would still like to see your hypothesis as to why high-paying E-class suite passengers are denied the wonders of IVs. 

I am willing to be corrected on this, but I do not recall any suite pax on E-class discussing their disappointment at missing out on an IV.

Why is that, do you s'pose?

• Like 3

Recently sailed on the apex and had an infinite veranda room and loved it! We were traveling with a four year old and felt it was “safer” yet still allowed for a beautiful view. We also enjoyed being able to roll the window down and have a few drinks while the kiddo slept. 

On 4/26/2023 at 5:39 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

IV is definitely not for me.  We booked a porthole balcony instead.  

Have you experienced the porthole balcony?  How restricted is the view?  We hesitate booking Edge class because of the IV cabins.

2 hours ago, shofer said:

Have you experienced the porthole balcony?  How restricted is the view?  We hesitate booking Edge class because of the IV cabins.

We were in a DPV on the Apex. The view is less than a traditional balcony, and the balcony is smaller. Neither bothered us. We booked a future cruise on the Edge and doing another DPV. We selected the same deck and stateroom number (7118). We were able to check out an IV stateroom while on the Apex and glad we had the DPV. Based only on our personal preference. 

7 hours ago, shofer said:

Never stayed in one but have read only positive things. There are some that have more obstructed views than others ( more forward you go as I understand it). But they are enclosed so lots of shade (and privacy)  l prefer a shaded balcony. We’ve never been on E class and I have shied away bc of the IV but when I read about this option I figured it was forth a try. 

So my answer is I am hoping to love it! Booked my first Celebrity Cruise in years and as a solo traveler today on a whim and I got one of the solo rooms with an IV.  Usually cruise on RCL, where I have never managed to get one of their 4 - 6 studios per ship on the quantum class with a balcony and just end up getting double priced ocean views and double priced balconies  or on NCL - where I started solo cruising in their inside-inside studios and now pay double occupancy for a balcony, I am excited to try this out.  I am hoping in this case the extra space will be useful! And I love the idea of the floor to ceiling window! 

I am considering booking a cruise on the Edge and reading this thread with interest. I thought I'd go ahead and book a traditional balcony but when looking at the categories, the only balcony categories start at Concierge, almost 1k more than the IV (13 day cruise) ! So now I think I'll go with the IV.

On 5/7/2023 at 5:23 PM, shofer said:

On the cabin crawl I did it wasn’t bad at all..go for it.

2 hours ago, Rtowncruiser said:

I am considering booking a cruise on the Edge and reading this thread with interest. I thought I'd go ahead and book a traditional balcony but when looking at the categories, the only balcony categories start at Concierge, almost 1k more than the IV (13 day cruise) ! So now I think I'll go with the IV.

Concierge Class are not balcony cabins. They are all IV cabins. 

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rtowncruiser said:

Only Suites or sunset veranda are the cabins without IV I think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TMLAalum said:

Plus the Deluxe Porthole Verandas.

Oh wow. I didn't realize true Verandas were so limited. Now I have to decide if I want Porthole aft or forward, or go midship with IV! Decisions decisions..... I'm leaning towards aft 

On 5/7/2023 at 11:23 PM, shofer said:

The IV view is not restricted.  The motorized blackout blind is great.  The inability to open the window except in perfect weather is not.