Thoughts on taking entire pizzas from the buffet

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

The fact the chef did not have the order ready and had to substitute pre made pizza is also not the customers problem, it's the chefs error.

The chef did not make the substitution... the greedy, impatient people (who allegedly "pre-ordered") cut to the front of the line and just took the pizzas that were there for those on line to make their selection from.

They should have talked to the staff and waited til their allegedly "pre-ordered" pie(s) were done.  Their piggy, entitled actions are indefensible.

I would possibly consider agreeing with your statements had the chef removed the pizzas from their side of the counter and discreetly handed the pies to those people at a different location at the counter.  That is not what happened according to the OP.

Edited by lgdesign

1 minute ago, lgdesign said:

The chef did not make the substitution... the greedy, impatient people (who allegedly "pre-ordered") cut to the front of the line and just took the pizzas that were there for those on line to make their selection from.

They should have talked to the staff and waited til their allegedly "pre-ordered" pie(s) were done.  Their piggy, entitled actions are indefensible.

I would possibly agree with your statements had the chef removed the pizzas from their side of the counter and discreetly handed the pies to those people at a different location at the counter.  That is not what happened according to the OP.

What was stated above and what I quoted and responded to was that the cutting in was the real issue, it's not.
I agree with you, IF they allegedly just took the pizza, then that was the issue and at that point it does become cutting in.

2 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Thank you for helping me distil this in my mind. I think this is the crux of my issue. IF this group had pre ordered pizza (through some method not known to most of us), they should have waited until their order was ready. They should not have cut in and taken all the pizza that was out, by saying "Guess our order isn't ready yet, so we will just take all that is here."

That's truly the issue. They should have waited, they should have not pre emptively depleted. 

On the Getaway, I saw a woman politely order an entire pizza.  She then waited for it to be done to take it back to her family.  I don't know how you could preorder it except by going to the counter and requesting it (you could get other food while waiting for it to finish or get beverages).  So I'd agree the one problem seemed to be the group not waiting for their pizza to finish.  Carnival used to do this - you could make personal size custom pizzas and they were really good, but I have no idea if that still exists since it was nearly 20 years ago.  

27 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

On the Getaway, I saw a woman politely order an entire pizza.  She then waited for it to be done to take it back to her family.  I don't know how you could preorder it except by going to the counter and requesting it (you could get other food while waiting for it to finish or get beverages).  So I'd agree the one problem seemed to be the group not waiting for their pizza to finish.  Carnival used to do this - you could make personal size custom pizzas and they were really good, but I have no idea if that still exists since it was nearly 20 years ago.  

I was able to order a pizza on Carnival many years ago.  It's been a very long time since I sailed with them, so I don't know if they still do it.

WE have never had a problem ordering a special pizza. MY girlfriend is particular about what goes on her pizza. Sometimes she stops by the salad bar and in a bowl, she puts what items she sees that she likes and then takes it to the pizza location and asks for a whole pizza made with these items that she wanted. Plus, extra cheese. Never had a problem. They always say come back in about 15 minitues and the pizza is ready for us. Alway great service. Just ask and they will make a whole pie for you. And while you are waiting you can get other things for your table. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stitch97 said:

I went on my first cruise last summer with my best friend. She, along with a group of folks, were waiting on a fresh batch of cookies. The minute the cruise employee placed the cookies for everyone, a woman cut ahead of them and started piling the cookies on a plate. She took most of the cookies leaving only a few. Had no shame at all. 

I would have body blocked her so hard….

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Thank you for helping me distil this in my mind. I think this is the crux of my issue. IF this group had pre ordered pizza (through some method not known to most of us), they should have waited until their order was ready. They should not have cut in and taken all the pizza that was out, by saying "Guess our order isn't ready yet, so we will just take all that is here."

That's truly the issue. They should have waited, they should have not pre emptively depleted. 

Keelhaul the line cutters

3 hours ago, Stitch97 said:

I went on my first cruise last summer with my best friend. She, along with a group of folks, were waiting on a fresh batch of cookies. The minute the cruise employee placed the cookies for everyone, a woman cut ahead of them and started piling the cookies on a plate. She took most of the cookies leaving only a few. Had no shame at all. 

It appears some people did NOT learn what they needed to know in kindergarten. Bless her heart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, purpleally said:

This sums up the REAL problem!

Yes, they were totally wrong to cut the line and take the pizza.  But what I don't understand and the crux of the issue is, why didn't anyone say anything?   Anything at all?  Anything from something nice to "f that, get your ass in the back of the line" to body blocking them?  

To sit there watching them do it and then come on here to complain solves nothing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Last week on the Prima, a group cut the buffet line to say that they had "pre ordered" several pizzas during lunch. It seemed like their order wasn't ready when they wanted it to be, so they just took whole pizzas that were ready. 

My question is - is it common knowledge that you can pre order buffet pizzas, and is it socially acceptable to take a whole pizza when others behind you are in line for pizza? I had never before heard of ordering buffet food. 

They told me, by way of apology (?) that they needed enough lunch pizza for their group of 21. 

I only wish i could be on a cruise right now where someone cut in front of line to take some pizza. 

Sad that dominated your vacation. 

I've never seen a line for NCL Pizza    🤔. I'll have to pay closer attention. 

I also thought NCL did away with buffet lines per se by calling them "action stations" so people could pick the individual food items they wanted and move out of the way. 

Edited by Buford T Justiice

4 hours ago, Stitch97 said:

The woman who tried that with the warm tea time scones on my cruise got my elbow and and me stating “there’s a line”. She gave me dirty looks whenever she saw me around the ship but it was worth it.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Zippeedee said:

The woman who tried that with the warm tea time scones on my cruise got my elbow and and me stating “there’s a line”. She gave me dirty looks whenever she saw me around the ship but it was worth it.

That's the thing: rude people will just keep doing it until they're put in their place. No one wants to ruin a vacation by confronting someone, but if you don't, their rude behavior will just continue and ruin others'. Good for you, if she gave you dirty looks it's because she knew you wouldn't put up with her s***. 🤣😁

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Buford T Justiice said:

I've never seen a line for NCL Pizza    🤔. I'll have to pay closer attention. 

I also thought NCL did away with buffet lines per se by calling them "action stations" so people could pick the individual food items they wanted and move out of the way. 

Pizza didn't normally have a line.  If only one of the two pizza stations were open, sometimes they'd run out of plain pizza (or eventually all pizza) and there would be a line for a little while until more pizzas came out.  The only tricky thing is that people can approach the pizza station from two sides, so its a little hard to have one line.  

Also, I did once roll into someone who cut in front of me in the buffet, since I had no patience for someone who saw me pushing a 2 year old in a stroller and cut in front of me.  And I also yelled at someone who cut in front of my family at the security line in the airport and then wasn't ready (I could totally understand a single traveler realizing they could get through the line in the time it would take us to get everyone ready, but he didn't have his shoes off and we wound up waiting for him.  The TSA agent explained he'd cut in front of us because he worked in one of the restaurants past security.  And I said well if he goes through this line every day then he should know how to do it)

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, purpleally said:

I think my friend was still processing the whole ordeal. She also mentioned the woman was very fast in doing it. 

Funny thing is my friend and I both play hockey. My friend probably should've those skills and her hips accordingly to block this woman, lol.

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, both times that we were on the Prima, they were serving "fancy pizza" versus the normal cardboard disks with tomato sauce and cheese. I wonder what they grabbed.

image.png.910d4cf0fb91100aef9dc4c24e9befb9.png

It was this - it happened at lunchtime, when the focaccia-style pizza pictured above was put out.

My family really liked this pizza! It had a decent amount of "char," which is 👍👍👍 for us.