F 18 High Speed Buzz of Enchantment of the Seas

At about 11:15 am on April 27, 2023, (yesterday). I was sitting on deck five outside of the midship  elevator bank on the port side. I witnessed what appeared to be an F 18 do a high speed fly-by cutting from our starboard bow and sharply following our port side with the one wingtip lower than the top of the deck railing. I had a complete view of the top of the jet.  It might have been about 200 feet away at most. In all of my years in the Navy, I have never seen a plane almost touching the water on its side at about 390 knots.

It was a Top Gun moment where I could distinctly make out the details of the pilot's helmet.

The same jet made another high speed pass from our stern passing along the starboard side before doing a vertical afterburner ascent disappearing into the clouds in about five or six seconds.

I guess we looked threatening but after closer review, found not dangerous.

I do think it was a bit unsafe. I would hate to think what would have happened if a wingtip touched the water or God forbid, have struck the ship.

The Navy is not proud of it for I cannot find any reports about it with any search engine.

"Maybe it was the Air Force.........."  😉

🫢

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I doubt they perceived you as a threat. I'm sure they knew who you (the ship) were. My guess is that the pilot wanted to show off a little and give the passengers a show.

The Captain had to reassure the passengers with an announcement because most had no idea what was going on. Some were thinking that we had struck something or the ship had some type of mechanical explosion.

A few years ago, we were sailing out of Baltimore and the ship got buzzed a few times by a Cold War era spy plane.  One of our shipmates was a vet and recognized it.  I think he said there was a big training base somewhere around Norfolk ,Virginia.  

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So the pattern wasn't full?

NAS Patuxent River has F-18 derivatives stationed there as well as a flight school. Probably just training missions.

Scared the "exhaust ports" of many people on-board.

"Mission accomplished!"

🤣

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

"Maybe it was the Air Force.........."  😉

According to some navy folks I know, the only time the air force gets that close to the ground is when crashing....I mean landing. And I hear that due to safety concerns all their afterburners have been disabled. Ergo it much have been the Navy.....🤪.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, paross4 said:

Love the smell of burned JP8.  Sorry I missed it.

There was only a hint.... a bit like the diluted diesel exhaust of an older truck.  Maybe the wind was moving it away from the ship at the time.

Anyone on board a carrier always seemed to have that odor embedded into their uniform no matter how hard they tried to clean them.

That smell gets cemented into your brain. I did not get its intensity.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

According to some navy folks I know, the only time the air force gets that close to the ground is when crashing....I mean landing. And I hear that due to safety concerns all their afterburners have been disabled. Ergo it much have been the Navy.....🤪.

Easy,  easy, we just finished a tribute aboard which has started at 10:30 am to Veterans. So nice to participate and know we are stronger together.

That said, most Navy pilots are good swimmers!

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Aquahound said:

Well, that pilot is probably flying rubber dog poo out of Hong Kong now.  😁

Yeah, sad to say, it was not "an approved flight pattern".

The Captain of the ship has all of this on video. Not a good day for that pilot.

I do not want to be on the "Review Board" on this one.

Excellent flight reflexes and control of an aircraft.

The pilot will be reminded that the plane belonged to the taxpayers.

That said, "If I needed close air support, I am on a forty-foot rib-boat, with enemies danger close, I want that plane and that pilot as close as possible."

Living on the Edge (Aerosmith)

• Like 1

We were buzzed by a jet once on a Harmony transatlantic.  We had just gone into Coastal Kitchen (top of ship) when it happened and it actually rattled the dishes, not to mention startling quite a few cruisers!  There were some postings started and then they quickly, mysteriously disappeared.....🙄

• Like 1

Wow! Thanks for posting.  I wish I had been there.

When Celebrity had ships sailing in that area, out of Baltimore and Philadelphia, we witnessed a similar - but not as spectacular - visit.  We were in the glass lounge on the top deck, on a stormy day. A roar, an appearance by a very close plane, a roar and a disappearance. The entire lounge was quiet, then "Wow!", then cheers.  

Having witnessed a number of helicopter lifts from ships over the years, I never cease to be amazed by the skill of the pilots and crew.  Our most recent one was a year ago, on Enchantment, a procedure that involved two helicopters, two refueling planes, and a long time in the air. It was successful.

It's sad, to me, that passengers might have been frightened.  Doesn't anyone go to air shows any more?

3 hours ago, willing292 said:

A few years ago, we were sailing out of Baltimore and the ship got buzzed a few times by a Cold War era spy plane.  One of our shipmates was a vet and recognized it.  I think he said there was a big training base somewhere around Norfolk ,Virginia.  

Yes, there is an Air Force base in Virgina Beach.

On Cruises different times in past had US Jets Buzz us in Caribbean. One was 2 F-14's and was right after Top Gun came out in 80's. Other time was a F-16 flying low and loud. Third time happened when a B-2 flew over our Ship during Air Show at Ft Lauderdale, that was 20+ yrs ago. Had a low flying B-29 go over my home right before Covid, now that was pretty Kool!

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, truffles2 said:

We were buzzed by a jet once on a Harmony transatlantic.  We had just gone into Coastal Kitchen (top of ship) when it happened and it actually rattled the dishes, not to mention startling quite a few cruisers!  There were some postings started and then they quickly, mysteriously disappeared.....🙄

The exact reason I would not even think about posting a video. That would get into an ugly mess in a heartbeat.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Wow! Thanks for posting.  I wish I had been there.

When Celebrity had ships sailing in that area, out of Baltimore and Philadelphia, we witnessed a similar - but not as spectacular - visit.  We were in the glass lounge on the top deck, on a stormy day. A roar, an appearance by a very close plane, a roar and a disappearance. The entire lounge was quiet, then "Wow!", then cheers.  

Having witnessed a number of helicopter lifts from ships over the years, I never cease to be amazed by the skill of the pilots and crew.  Our most recent one was a year ago, on Enchantment, a procedure that involved two helicopters, two refueling planes, and a long time in the air. It was successful.

It's sad, to me, that passengers might have been frightened.  Doesn't anyone go to air shows any more?

Imagine being in a bathroom and feeling the boat vibrate strongly and the sound of a freight train going by at 400 Miles per hour.

When you attend an airshow, you know what to expect. Most cruise ship passengers cannot even fathom having such a rare event occurring.

• Like 1