Crown Grill Menu Items

Plato123

On our last Princess cruise we tried the Crown Grill twice and were not impressed.

One side dish we thought could be interesting was the roasted marrow bone and shallot crushed potatoes.

To us it just seemed like a regular baked potato, and not crushed.  This was on the Royal.  Any one tried this and liked it?

Also, are any of their chops really a chop?  I tried the beef chop and it just seemed like a regular rib steak with toppings.

Our next Princess cruise will be on the Emerald and I would appreciate any comments (and pix) of items from their Crown Grill, especially the Chilean Sea Bass with King Prawns.

1 hour ago, Plato123 said:

Also, are any of their chops really a chop?  I tried the beef chop and it just seemed like a regular rib steak with toppings

Was there a bone attached? If so, can be called a chop, although beef cuts usually use the term steak regardless of whether it is technically a chop. 

If I ate at a restaurant twice and wasn't impressed, food taste, value, service, whatever, I wouldn't be inclined to go back no matter what reviews I read or photos I saw of the food.

You write that you will be on the Emerald and enjoy seafood. Consider trying Sabatini's.

Whilst we enjoy the CG, we think that it is now too expensive for the food offered. 

Both of us do enjoy the Filet Mignon, so in future, we will order that occasionally when eating in the MDR. Still expensive, but only half the price of the full CG meal.

It's been awhile since I ate in the Crown Gill--pre-covid--but I always got the lamb chops.  They were chops and always delicious.  I think I'm going to take wowzz' advice and try the MDR extra charge version of the beef fillet.  I have never been blown away by any of the CG sides.

• Like 2

We are just off the Coral Princess which is currently sailing Australian waters and is about to start a world cruise next month.  Four (out of six) of our group had dinner at the Crown Grill and it was absolutely fabulous.  Two of us had the Filet Mignon and two of us had lamb chops.  There wasn't a crumb left on any plate.  It was the best Princess specialty restaurant meal we have had in years - maybe the ship is provisioned in Australia?

• Like 3

I had the same crushed potatoes on royal and was very disappointed as well. I thought my porterhouse was delicious though. It seemed well over the 22 oz advertised and felt bad I didn't finish it all. The salts they give really enhanced the flavors too. We thought the mdr food wasn't very good so eating at the crown grill by the end of the cruise was a vast improvement. 

IMG_1538 (1).jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 5:16 PM, Coral said:

While I don't eat fish - the Chilean Sea Bass gets great reviews on this board.

I personally am disappointed with the quality of beef at the Crown Grill.

Chilean Sea Bass has always been my favorite dish at Crown Grill.  Was on Majestic Princess last month for a 27 days TransPacific cruise, and noticed Chilean Sea Bass is no longer on the menu.  Asked the waiter and he said that item has been removed from the menu.

Just now, chubbypiggy said:

Chilean Sea Bass has always been my favorite dish at Crown Grill.  Was on Majestic Princess last month for a 27 days TransPacific cruise, and noticed Chilean Sea Bass is no longer on the menu.  Asked the waiter and he said that item has been removed from the menu.

It is on the menu on the Crown Princess this week.

On 5/4/2023 at 10:51 PM, Kineticoh20 said:

4 cruises this year and each Crown Grill experience was EWWW just can't do it anymore. Will wait til we disembark and take the wife to Flemmings.

please be sure to post back pics of the food and the bill for that evening ... enjoy!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

If anyone is sailing on Majestic or Enchanted coming up, I highly recommend THE CATCH!

Yes, $39 pp, but very special.

Beautiful setting on deck 7 where Sur le Mer was before.

How was the noise level?  After experiencing dining in that same area on the Enchanted we (a group of 6) unanimously said that the venue was horrible because of the noise from the Piazza and passengers using the area along the railings as a cut through and sometimes stopping to watch (and talk) what was going on below in the Piazza.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 9:09 AM, Yehootu said:

I had the seabass and my wife had a fillet. Took a bite of her fillet hit something, gissle? and broke a tooth. Root canal yesterday. 

I cannot imagine gristle breaking a tooth.  It should not be encountered at all in a top-level filet mignon cut.  Not a good result; sorry to hear that.  If you didn't find anything else in the meat, perhaps the tooth was partially damaged before.  I am guessing a cap is next.  Quality of beef in CG seems in question in the past year or so.

• Like 3

On 5/4/2023 at 9:09 AM, Yehootu said:

I had the seabass and my wife had a fillet. Took a bite of her fillet hit something, gissle? and broke a tooth. Root canal yesterday. 

That’s terrible.  Sorry to hear that.  We were on the Crown before you, So Pac also and experienced CG not so great cut of beef. (Filet Mignon). 

I sure hope it’s improving now.

On 5/4/2023 at 5:16 PM, Coral said:

While I don't eat fish - the Chilean Sea Bass gets great reviews on this board.

I personally am disappointed with the quality of beef at the Crown Grill.

I don’t eat red meat so, if I go, I always get either the lobster tail or the Chilean sea bass.  While I love lobster, I must say, the Chilean sea bass has bee superb and might even be better than the lobster.  
Because my DH has been somewhat disappointed with the beef at the Crown Grill, he now orders the lamb chops and has been really happy with that.  
I usually order two appetizers and one main course .. by that time, there’s just too much food to order any sides or dessert.  

On 5/17/2023 at 8:30 AM, chubbypiggy said:

That would be a sad day for me as it is one reason I go there.  I noticed that the filet of sole piccata was removed from the menu at Sanatini’s recently.  That was also the dish I ordered 100%  of the time I went there.  😔

Of note, they did serve me the Chilean sea bass at the last Winemaker’s dinner I attended (back in March) and it was the best meal I’ve ever had!  Now they’ve raised the price from $40 pp to over $100 pp, I won’t be going again.  Better wines, yes!  But, not for that price.  

• Like 2

@capriccio In response to your question about the noise level and ambiance at The Catch. After all the pre-reading on CC about the tables located too close to the railing and the loud music from the Piazza, I was pleasantly surprised that our experience there was just right. It just happened to be the official opening night of the restaurant, May 5th.

We were seated at the window on both occasions, one just at the start of the restaurant and the second time, at the far end forward. We were a party of five - a reunion of sorts. Much wine and conversation was the order of the day and we never once felt that we were IN the Piazza. Our attentive servers provided us with the just the right amount of attention and all five of us LOVED every minute. Hence, we booked the last night of the cruise for our second visit. We were NOT disappointed.

I can honestly say, as the coordinator of this group, it was time and money well spent for this experience - with two novice cruisers along for the ride. The table settings and the furnishings felt so fresh and new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2