perpetual over packer here

redmomof4

54 night cruise, 3 of everything, ship clothes, port clothes, evening clothes.  I have done 2x54 night cruises and have no idea what people at my dining table wore.

When you travel on your own and fly to port you learn very quickly to pack lightly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, evandbob said:

The 5-4-3-2-1 packing method is a technique that aims to reduce the amount of clothing you take on a trip. According to this method, all you need for any trip is:

• 5 tops
  • 4 bottoms
  • 3 accessories
  • 2 shoes (a practical pair and a nice pair)
  • 1 swimsuit123

Hi, I will respectfully disagree with whoever started that  technique. They are way off base (in my opinion).  On any trip that is all you need? Not for me. But if it works for others? Go for it.

• Like 2

You have to remember that nobody on the ship cares that you are wearing the same outfit for 3 or 4 days or else wearing the same 2 outfits every other day.  If they do care - you shouldn't care.  Nobody even looks to see what shoes you are wearing.  My day wear Birkenstocks become my formal evening wear shows when I wear them w black socks. If you packed a bunch of stuff into a stuff sack and the clothes become wrinkled just hang them out.  If the wrinkles don't completely disappear nobody cares.

DON

• Like 1

I'm also an overpacker. I travel solo most of the time, and generally have one checked suitcase (currently 25" Maxlite), a carry-on suitcase (a 45L backpack/duffle/crossbody from Tom Bihn, which I check if I've got 2 free checked bags), and a personal item. On the last trip, I ended up with both the personal item and my purse full, and checked both the suitcase and the Bihn bag, on the way home. (I did too much shopping in London.) These are for QM2 transatlantics. 

Even though I know that people won't notice what I'm wearing on formal (or even 'smart') nights, *I* will notice, and I like being able to bring out my dressy stuff. I'm also a fun shoe person, so I like to bring multiple pairs (Irregular Choice and Fluevogs for the win!)

I figure that, as long as I can manage it myself (and I'm a public transit kinda gal - no private cars for me, plus I have to fly to every cruise I take) I might as well bring what makes me happy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was a chronic overpacker until last summer when we wound up waiting for luggage for HOURS at the airport. Never again. No more checked bags. It's not the cost (we get free checked bags), it's the time suck and frustration when things don't show up.

Just came home from an 18-night trip (including 13 nights on a ship) and I used just a carry-on rollaboard and backpack. I packed for one week and wore things multiple times. In fact, there were three things I didn't even wear once plus 2 garments only worn 1 time. We used the ship's laundry, I washed things in the sink, and I wore things many, many times over. I think I wore one top 6 or 7 times. Did anyone comment? NO. Would I care if they did? NO. 

I really cut back on the toiletries, accessories, things to do, books (brought a Kindle), and shoes. That stuff sucks up space, is difficult to pack, and is heavy.

7 hours ago, evandbob said:

The 5-4-3-2-1 packing method is a technique that aims to reduce the amount of clothing you take on a trip. According to this method, all you need for any trip is:

• 5 tops
  • 4 bottoms
  • 3 accessories
  • 1 swimsuit123

I think I'm a 12-4-1-2-1 packer.  That includes guessing what an "accessory" might be.  

• Haha 2

I'm a packing minimalist. The less the better but it's your vacation. Make yourself happy. Pack as much or as little you choose and that you are willing to schlep around. The only time you "overpack" is if you bring items you don't use and never really needed or wanted. Otherwise it's right sizing. 

10 hours ago, evandbob said:

• 5 tops
  • 4 bottoms
  • 3 accessories
  • 1 swimsuit123

Are bras and panties included with tops and bottoms?  What are you sleeping in?  EM

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Are bras and panties included with tops and bottoms?  What are you sleeping in?  EM

I think the unmentionables are a separate category! 😀

I still want to know what an accessory would be and why I would need 3.   

1 hour ago, shorne said:

When garments begin to wear out, I save them for travel: I wear them a few times and then throw them away. That saves space and weight in my bags for the rest of the trip.

Sneakers too.  I have a pile of sneakers from my running days that never come home from a cruise.  

16 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Maybe a sash, scarf, hat, shawl…sweater…. EM

I was on the right track.  The one I included was a belt.  Need to keep the trousers up, otherwise I don't really accessorize!  😄

On 5/6/2023 at 11:13 PM, redmomof4 said:

... I feel like theres no in between, you either pack to much or not enough or your an amazing, experienced, traveler who knows how to do it right!! I'm on the side of PERPETUAL OVERPACKER!

Nah, I think I'm a Goldilocks packer; that is, my packing is JUST RIGHT.  We badly overpacked for our first cruise ... then we packed way less for our second, but we still brought things that we didn't use. 

On the way home from that second cruise, I made a list of the things we'd actually used ... and I honed that list into a template.  Now I use that template as a starting point for packing; I might pack a little more /a little less depending upon the length of the trip, or I might pack something for a specific shore excursion ... but that template is our basic list.  I always look at my stuff and say, "That's it?"  But it always works out just right.  

On 5/7/2023 at 8:40 AM, graphicguy said:

My rule of thumb…..cut in ½ what you think you’ll use, and you’ll still be overpacking.

That's true.  

Shoes do double duty.  Tennis shoes for the gym double as close toed shoes for dinner.  

Honestly, if you can get control of your shoes, you're halfway to minimalist packing.  

My husband's cruise shoes: 

- He wears a pair of good tennis shoes onboard. 

- He packs a pair of black canvas boat shoes, which he likes to have for a quick slip-on and which he wears to dinner with black jeans.  (We are much more casual than we used to be.) 

- He doesn't like to be barefoot at the beach, so he brings a pair of water socks ... these are a recent purchase /a replacement for the heavier water sandals, which he never really liked. 

My own cruise shoes: 

- I board wearing a pair of white Keds or Vans, which work with shorts outfits or tee-shirt dresses. 

- I pack a pair of comfortable walking sandals in a basic color that matches all my shorts and tee-dresses.  

- I pack a pair of casual wedges ... my current favorites are brown /gold and match everything for dinner.  

- If the shore plans require it, I pack my water shoes.  

Shirts get 2 days unless I got sweaty or spilled something on them.  Pants for venues that require them get 2 days of use.

I bring 2-3 shirts for every pair of shorts ... and I always wear "on their last use" shorts for shore excursions, where I'm going to get sweaty.  

On 5/7/2023 at 10:08 AM, shipgeeks said:

Nothing wrong with overpacking, unless you have to pay airline fees for overweight bags

Eh, dealing with more, more, more stuff in a small stateroom and packing up more, more, more on the last evening cut into the enjoyment of your trip.  

On 5/9/2023 at 2:44 PM, Lois R said:

Hi, I will respectfully disagree with whoever started that  technique. They are way off base (in my opinion).  On any trip that is all you need? Not for me. But if it works for others? Go for it.

I like the 5-4-3-2-1 concept, as long as you don't cling to it too tightly.  As inspiration, it's a great idea. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Nah, I think I'm a Goldilocks packer; that is, my packing is JUST RIGHT.  We badly overpacked for our first cruise ... then we packed way less for our second, but we still brought things that we didn't use. 

On the way home from that second cruise, I made a list of the things we'd actually used ... and I honed that list into a template.  Now I use that template as a starting point for packing; I might pack a little more /a little less depending upon the length of the trip, or I might pack something for a specific shore excursion ... but that template is our basic list.  I always look at my stuff and say, "That's it?"  But it always works out just right.  

That's true.  

Honestly, if you can get control of your shoes, you're halfway to minimalist packing.  

My husband's cruise shoes: 

- He wears a pair of good tennis shoes onboard. 

- He packs a pair of black canvas boat shoes, which he likes to have for a quick slip-on and which he wears to dinner with black jeans.  (We are much more casual than we used to be.) 

- He doesn't like to be barefoot at the beach, so he brings a pair of water socks ... these are a recent purchase /a replacement for the heavier water sandals, which he never really liked. 

My own cruise shoes: 

- I board wearing a pair of white Keds or Vans, which work with shorts outfits or tee-shirt dresses. 

- I pack a pair of comfortable walking sandals in a basic color that matches all my shorts and tee-dresses.  

- I pack a pair of casual wedges ... my current favorites are brown /gold and match everything for dinner.  

- If the shore plans require it, I pack my water shoes.  

I bring 2-3 shirts for every pair of shorts ... and I always wear "on their last use" shorts for shore excursions, where I'm going to get sweaty.  

Eh, dealing with more, more, more stuff in a small stateroom and packing up more, more, more on the last evening cut into the enjoyment of your trip.  

I like the 5-4-3-2-1 concept, as long as you don't cling to it too tightly.  As inspiration, it's a great idea. 

There ‘ya go.  

To this day, I don’t recall ever being concerned over my mode of dress, regardless of what I was doing, on or off the ship.  I don’t smell.  I’m not a slob.  My clothes are clean.  This alleviates the need for multiple outfits.  Granted, using the laundry service NCL provides is great. 

But, the want of not dragging around heaps of luggage to and from the ship, being able to unpack in less than 3 minutes, being able to disembark and go straight through the baggage holding areas, all trump and desire I would have to load up big luggage piles.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 7:42 AM, evandbob said:

• 5 tops
  • 4 bottoms
  • 3 accessories
  • 1 swimsuit123

I'll switch out 3 accessories for 2 swim suits everytime. Nothing is more unpleasant than putting on a swim suit that is still wet from the day before. 

• Like 1