New Suite Deposits Effective June 1, 2023

6 hours ago, vjmatty said:

I don’t think it’s personal against pinnacles, it’s about not wanting a crowded or SRO lounge, and wanting access to CK for everyone who paid for a suite. The poster said Pinnacles should have their own space, not that they should be left in the wind. 

Each ship has a limited number to Pinnacles in non suites.  If the Pinnies exceed that number, the ones not in full suite will not have access to CK/SL/CL.  This is very common especially for Pinnacle heavy TAs. 

On our Wonder TA, Pinnies were welcomed into the Solarium Bistro for meals, only being able to access CK by day to day reservations for dinner only...much like JS pax.   They DO set aside an area for Pinnacles to gather, with a table of evening munchies.  I love that they are doing that, which indeed helps to relieve the crowding in CK/SL/CL.  

Since I sail in suites, it did not affect me, and in fact enjoyed bouncing back and forth from both venues.  

The lack of flexibility seems a bit weird money wise for suites.  For instance, I have a Villa suite in '24 booked back in March of '22 when it first released. There are 3 people booked in it.  It is a really great price being booked in '22 and on release day.

I had every intention of adding my adult children and their spouses but things have come up and they cannot go.  Life just can't be predicted with any kind of stability 25 months in advance.

I was going to move it to summer of '25 as soon as it is released and eat the $300 change fee, still in a suite. I would think Royal would be jumping with joy to get us out of it and be able to relist it for today's crazy prices with way more people in it.  Plus they would have our 2025 suite also booked. Just last week somebody posted elsewhere they had given up a Villa that they booked for around $20,000 and 2 days later somebody posted they picked it up for almost double. Win Win for Royal. 

But if they are going to be inflexible about changing, I might just go ahead and sail at the low '22 prices with 3 people in a 4 bedroom suite.  A sky suite is not that much lower right now so would not be beneficial to downgrade. Glad I didn't book everyone in it right away.

Edited by cruise_co
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not sure that will happen.  Don't forget, there are very few suites and ships have seen them sell out well over a year or in some cases 2 in advance.  For all those that hold off someone will step in to takle their place.

I was thinking cabins in general. I understand low suite numbers. However, general pricing right now is quite unattractive and refundable deposit supplements are, in many cases, eye popping. And I highly suspect that RCI is supporting these prices by holding back inventory.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, island lady said:

Out of curiosity...how did you know for certain of which every Pinnacle you saw in the CK and SL were in full suites or not?  

I would expect the pinnacles that I spoke to would tell the truth about what type of cabin they were sailing in just as I would expect the same of other cruisers.  No where did I state that I knew what type of cabin every pinnacle in the CK was staying in, I didn't have the opportunity to speak to all passengers that ate in CK.  In fact, the group I spoke to most wished they had higher numbers so they could have breakfast in Chops, instead of the overcrowded CK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I was thinking cabins in general. I understand low suite numbers. However, general pricing right now is quite unattractive and refundable deposit supplements are, in many cases, eye popping. And I highly suspect that RCI is supporting these prices by holding back inventory.

It is my belief that RCCL, et al, hold back vacancies, including suites to present the perception of fullness and then can lure in folks that would otherwise procrastinate and get a much higher price.  It is always a marketing ploy/agenda to get people to buy NOW, to hell with tomorrow. That's one reason why I try to book far out, as soon as things open-up or as far from the final payment date as economically possible, for me, like months and months far out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You need to see some group pricing....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You need to see some group pricing....

What constitutes a group?  I'm thinking if a "group" of us here in this CC thread, for example, say that we want to book a cruise and we all agree on the same ship, itinerary, and embarkation location, ...... can we be considered a "group" and get "group" discounts if we have that magical number or whatever it is?

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

What constitutes a group?  I'm thinking if a "group" of us here in this CC thread, for example, say that we want to book a cruise and we all agree on the same ship, itinerary, and embarkation location, ...... can we be considered a "group" and get "group" discounts if we have that magical number or whatever it is?

The magic number can be 1. There can be a group for just you or the TA thru his agency has access most of the time to groups already formed. My caveat is I'd like something outside the group but want the groups refundable deposits. For instance a 4D aft corner, the group offered 2Ds not 4D group pricing. Every cabin you might prefer isnt able to get group pricing. Or I've seen one agency have boardwalk and outside view oasis class balconies. My TA had central park and outside view balconies. But prices are lower. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Both for 23 and 24.  Those were the best deals around.

They certainly were when they were first released. I think we booked 16 AD cruises between February 2024 and April 2025 as soon as they were released - 5 B2Bs and a B4B. Based on what those cruises are listed for today, we probably would have cut that total in half had we waited.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

There are several types of groups.

There are groups (blocks of space held by TA's at predetermined rates) that anyone can book into.  Then you also have groups where people that know each other get together and set up a specific group that only their friends can book into.  Group rates also vary.  The earlier they are blocked then the better the pricing will be.  If you set up a specific group for friends a year after itineraries have been released you will in all likelihood have a higher rate than someone that blocked their group the day itineraries were released.

Group rates also only apply to double occupancy rooms for balconies and below and not in every category of balcony and below.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The magic number can be 1. There can be a group for just you or the TA thru his agency has access most of the time to groups already formed. My caveat is I'd like something outside the group but want the groups refundable deposits. For instance a 4D aft corner, the group offered 2Ds not 4D group pricing. Every cabin you might prefer isnt able to get group pricing. Or I've seen one agency have boardwalk and outside view oasis class balconies. My TA had central park and outside view balconies. But prices are lower. 

Can a group include A1 or A2, for example?  In other words, suites?

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There are groups (blocks of space held by TA's at predetermined rates) that anyone can book into.  Then you also have groups where people that know each other get together and set up a specific group that only their friends can book into.  Group rates also vary.  The earlier they are blocked then the better the pricing will be.  If you set up a specific group for friends a year after itineraries have been released you will in all likelihood have a higher rate than someone that blocked their group the day itineraries were released.

Group rates also only apply to double occupancy rooms for balconies and below and not in every category of balcony and below.

Good info.  And you answered my other question, suites are not included or offered in group rates.  However, is there a magic number to constitute a "group" for friends, relatives, whatever?  

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I just LOVE gorups😇

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

They certainly were when they were first released. I think we booked 16 AD cruises between February 2024 and April 2025 as soon as they were released - 5 B2Bs and a B4B. Based on what those cruises are listed for today, we probably would have cut that total in half had we waited.

I passed on Christmas 2023 even though it was a great deal as we wanted to do the 8 night Southern on Odyssey over Christmas and it's pricing was not bad for a new ship.  2024 NYE I could not pass up.  balconies for under $2k Canadian or right around $1500 USD for the 8 day sailing.  My kids aren't impressed at it being an older ship but until they start paying their own way.....

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Translated if you are solo and book a cabin for 2 people you will pay a deposit for 2 people, but fees and taxes for 1 pax. If I book direct my deposit on a normal 7 day cruise is $250, but to book a refundable group rate I pay a deposit of $500. It's still a good deal, but solo pays deposit for 2. 

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Translated if you are solo and book a cabin for 2 people you will pay a deposit for 2 people, but fees and taxes for 1 pax. If I book direct my deposit on a normal 7 day cruise is $250, but to book a refundable group rate I pay a deposit of $500. It's still a good deal, but solo pays deposit for 2. 

My TA can't always get me into headquarter groups as a solo.  Named groups no problem.  

I wonder what my TA is doing wrong.

Hmmm.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, twangster said:

I often do wear it just to mess with people in the SL.

My last two oasis class cruises were in sky and star class.  Wore my Pinnacle badge in the SL knowing it would mess with people.  

Last cruise was on Radiance.  Only wore my name badge to top tier, didn't wear it anywhere else for 15 nights.    

Agree...get some nasty looks sometimes from the "sweet people" when we do that.  

And then when we go incognito...we are just sneaky.  😄